Mystery Mafia - Game Over

Grace

• Replies 889
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The next time I consider subbing in at LYLO for someone due to lack of subs, someone please yell at me, "NO!" Because I always lose when I sub in at LYLO XD

it wasn't lylo, it was kingmaker

Well, there was a VERY good chance of town being screwed by the time I subbed in. If at least one of SK and scum didn't shoot each other, then town would have only one player left and wouldn't be able to win. Kay and I both died on that last night phase, which officially screwed town over. The sad thing is, I figured it would happen but subbed in anyway. XD Next time, someone stop me.

The next time I consider subbing in at LYLO for someone due to lack of subs, someone please yell at me, "NO!" Because I always lose when I sub in at LYLO XD

I warned you

Okay so the making of the setup. The setup went through a boatload of iterations before I actually decided on taking the "Mystery" theme to what you see here.

Initally, the setup was basically going to be multiple RNG determined rolesets, with each role having a modifier of some variety. I would pick the setup that looked the least swingy/most balanced and work around that. No story, no nothing. Just roles.

So I figured that was kinda stupid. So further iterations brought me to a "block" setup. Basically each roleslot would have a certain modifier and role determined by RNG, within a small set of choices. Basically certain slots had different uses, eg strong investigative roles with modifiers like Non-consecutive, X-shot, etc. , protective roles with modifiers like Weak, Ascetic, and the list went on.

That also got scrapped in the end. I made a 10/11p setup (I don't remember which) with completely non-standard roles (ie no conventional cop/doc/etc.). Since I might use those roles at some point, I'm not gonna give you the setup~

So then we got to the idea of taking "Mystery" and revolving around a story about knowledge, and it's reverse, mystery. It was during Theatre actually, when we scanned Weapons and found he was the Mentor role (or when he flipped, whatevs). So while I was scanned mafiascum.wiki (yeah don't judge) and I found the Inquisitor role and decided "yeah, I'm going to make a game with that." So basing around that, the setup began construction.

Considering that there was going to be two kills each night, and one of them was always going to hurt a faction (read: cult recruiting/death), I decided that town needed quite a bit of strength in order to counterbalance.

The initial conceived setup was as follows:

Town

Aligncop

Rolecop

Tracker

Doc

Safeguard

Miller Jack (doc/rolecop/commute)

Nexus

3 Vanilla

Mafia

Tailor/1-shot Masstailor

Lynch Bomb (for all those times people complained about me claiming it as scum)

Watcher

3rd Party

Inquisitor

I tweaked it a little into the setup as it is now. Before I sent out Role PM's, I was still debating whether to allow scum the masstailor. In hindsight I probably should have axed it and maybe took a little bit of power away from the town (probably change the rolecop to something else).

Something I didn't think of actually was to make the Rolecop a Follower, and keep the masstailor. Or axe the masstailor anyway and do this.

Oh well. The balance was probably scum-sided in the end, although when people outed D1 reports that wasn't probably the best idea given the investigation results weren't guaranteed to be accurate. I don't think that helped, but what can you do about it.

Thoughts on the setup listed above? Do you think that would have been more balanced or less?

That was way too much investigation, IMO. Also, I would've let the redirect hit kills, but eh, what do I know?

if you figured out who the SK was you effectively controlled another two kills and that would have probably been even stronger for scum so yeah