PS3 Games

Momo

So I was able to finally order a PS3 like seven years after it came out. Since I haven't really been on the console scene in a while, I have no idea what to buy for it. Suggestions? I'm looking mostly for stuff I can get on the cheap, but I'm open to anything you peeps enjoyed.

inFAMOUS 1 and 2 as well as the entire Uncharted Series are probably the staple of PS3 singleplayer. LittleBigPlanet 2 is also good to play with some friends as well. If I were you, I'd also check out Heavy Rain, which is more of a mystery game. Then you have the Last of Us, Tomb Raider (reboot), and Devil May Cry (reboot) coming out at the beginning of the year as well. As JRPGs go, I have to suggest Tales of Graces f, great game.

Did you get anything with it? Do you have a 360 with any games? And what types of games do you like?

These are my favorites of the ones I own, maybe you'll find something you like in it.

Valkyria Chronicles

Tales of Graces F

Tales of Vesperia (have to import)

Metal Gear Solid 4

Eternal Sonata

Folklore

ICO & Shadow Collection

Uncharted 1-3

Okami HD

Heavy Rain

flOw, Flower and Journey (PSN titles, so super cheap.)

Ratchet & Clank Future 1-3

As you can see, I am mostly a fan of RPGs :P. All of these are also exclusive to the PS3, with the exception of Vesperia & Sonata, which are upgraded ports. PS3 has a ridiculous amount of awesome exclusives though, so I'd start there!

Spec Ops: The Line if you enjoy good stories and deconstructions of the various AAA-List Shooter tropes. Be warned: Pretty friggin dark.

The MGS games are always worth picking up (There's the HD collection if you haven't played 2/3, and 1 is available on PSN), and 4 (Not my favourite) is pretty good too.

inFamous is a must-buy for the system, and I really enjoyed Valkyria Chronicles when I rented it.

Did you get anything with it? Do you have a 360 with any games? And what types of games do you like?

I own Graces and the MGS HD collection, the former of which I've played a fuckton (because it's the greatest game ever), but it was on someone else's system that I don't have access to anymore. I didn't want to limit any games since it has been a very long time since I've played brand new games on a console besides Graces, so I thought I'd just see what everyone else likes and cherry pick from there.

I do not own a 360 btw.

Valkyria Chronicles

Batman Arkham series

Mass Effect could be a choice since the Trilogy was released

I'm a fan of the Ratchet & Clank series own all the PS3 releases

White Knight Chronicles if you want to play a game "similar" to FFXII

I'd recommend more but I'm playing imports right now......

Neat suggestions so far. I would add YAKUZA 4, if I only had room for one- I think this game has something for almost everybody.

I'd also check out El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron and Catherine to see if you might like what they have to offer- IMO less universally recommendable as games, but they do some things really well/uniquely, in particular aesthetics in the former and puzzle madness (literally) in the latter.

The Sly Cooper HD set is also a favorite PS2-era series of mine, especially the second of the 3 games. There's also another game in the series coming out next year, being made not by Insomniac but the guys who did (supposedly a damn good job on) the PS3 HD ports.

I feel like I saw somebody else recommend Lost Odyssey, but I can't seem to find it looking back. Supposedly a well-done/unique take of a JRPG, done a couple years ago possibly just before they made a big shift from consoles to handhelds.

I'd mostly just like to add another vote to the pile for Valkyria Chronicles. Metal Gear Solid 4 is also another good choice, though since you have the HD Collection already, you already have the only Metal Gear Solid game anybody ever needs. :P

If you like cheesy action games at all though, you should probably consider Lollipop Chainsaw too. It's surprisingly fun and it's cheap too.

(Anything else I could suggest would range from complete long shots to opening Pandora's Box, so I'll leave it here.)

Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny is pretty much the zenith of the series and it's multiplatform for the Wii and PS3. If you like Harvest Moon and you like dungeon crawlers, I highly recommend it.

El Shaddai is visually stunning platformer with some hack n slash bits. It's pretty fun and has some unique visual coating.

If you like RPGs and don't mind getting kinda depressed after, NieR might interest you.

Everyone else's suggestions are all great too.

I wish Lost Odyssey were PS3 but it's actually XBox 360 exclusive, which is why Rehab can't find it.

My list will be similar to Tangerine's because she steals all my preferences, but...

Valkyria Chronicles

Tales of Graces F

Tales of Vesperia

ICO & Shadow Collection

flOw, Flower and Journey (there is a disc collection of this you can buy on the cheap)

Zone of the Enders HD Collection

Disgaea 3 & 4

Persona 4 Arena

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend

Pls get Demon's Souls. It's super amazing. You can also get Dark Souls. It's supposedly just as great (or even greater depending on who you ask) but I don't have it yet so I can't really say. I'm kind of surprised no one mentioned these, actually. They're like, the PS3 games to get.

But yeah! Demon's Souls is super amazing. Other stuff I'd like to recommend has been mentioned already, like Catherine and El Shaddai. I'm trying to think up other games but I can't remember anything atm.

Edited by Nightmare

I think Records of Agarest War looks pretty decent, but I haven't been able to do anything but watch some videos. Maybe you'll like it, if you're into RPGs.

Oh yeah, Journey and Red Dead Redemption are very cool, if you're into their respective things. I hear one of the approaches to combat one can take in Dragon's Dogma is kind of like Shadow of the Colossus' climbing on dudes thing, but refined to a point worthy of an action game, so that's neat. Skullgirls is another neat fight'r.

If you like brawlers in the style of River City Ransom, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is a game I had a lot of fun with in that style, with art by Paul Robertson (sprite artist behind Pirate Baby's Cabana Battle among other things) and music by Anamanaguchi. I'd even recommend it to people that don't especially like the comic or movie, the sprite art is just amazing in a way that's not very common any more in games, and the game plus the dlc (I heard it friggin finally got online, took them long enough) cost only a bit over 20 U.S. bucks on PSN. I was maybe just a little sad when I discovered that the comic was considerably less ridiculous(ly awesome)

Edited by Rehab

See I liked stuff about the comics but I played the game first and I thought what happened in the game was exactly what the story of the comics was going to be

Then instead of 4 dudes going on an MMA rampage through the streets of Toronto, fighting special effects wizardry on a movie set, beating up the whole of a packed club, fighting ninjas in a teahouse, storming the last level of Double Dragon and.. well the last level in the game and the last volume are basically the same but you get the point

then I got all this character development and slice of hipst/slacker life and it's like

hmm

this is cool but where's the giant robot

There was a lot more Wallace in the comic though so that definitely helped out

Edited by Rehab

I see your point man, i really do. They're really different. I read the comic first so i wasn't expecting anything specific, and then I played the videogame expecting the comic: the game but i got the silliest beat em up. And dude it was great, it's just what i should've expected.

So i'm in the exact opposite position of you.

Pls get Demon's Souls. It's super amazing. You can also get Dark Souls. It's supposedly just as great (or even greater depending on who you ask) but I don't have it yet so I can't really say. I'm kind of surprised no one mentioned these, actually. They're like, the PS3 games to get.

But yeah! Demon's Souls is super amazing. Other stuff I'd like to recommend has been mentioned already, like Catherine and El Shaddai. I'm trying to think up other games but I can't remember anything atm.

So, Dark Souls for PC is on a 50% sale on steam for the next few hours. Like 9 hours or so. How good is it? Is it worth $20?

So, Dark Souls for PC is on a 50% sale on steam for the next few hours. Like 9 hours or so. How good is it? Is it worth $20?

It is worth triple that and if you aren't willing to buy it I will personally gift it to you because I am such a bro.

It's that good.