How did everyone get into Fire Emblem games

Xeroix

I played Roy in Melee and decided to do some checking into his game series. Found he was from Fire Emblem and that there were no released games in the US, but I registered at FESS in case a localization came along. Eventually, FE7 was announced. I returned to FESS, found I had forgotten my username, and registered again. When FE7 was finally released, I played the shit out of it while simultaneously becoming a thorn in the side of Superbus. The rest, as they say... :Kappa:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was playing super smash bros melee, taking Ice Climbers through Classic mode for completion, when Marth challenged me and almost kicked my butt. Having been a Legend of Zelda fan, I was like "This guy is like Link, but faster! :D"

Started writing a fanfic later on (which I now dub the 'Old Awful Melee Fanfic') and joined Fire Emblem Sanctuary of Strategy to do some background research.

Saw Fire Emblem on the store shelves sometime later but didn't manage to get enough spare money to obtain a game from the series until Sacred Stones.

Been hooked ever since. XD

Well..

I first heard of FE from Brawl. I didn't really pay it any mind, though, for whatever reason, so nothing came of that.

Then, around 1 1/2 years ago, I watched an LP of Path Of Radiance. It looked pretty good to me, and I decided to get my hands on an FE game. My first one was Shadow Dragon (mainly because it and Radiant Dawn are the only two games that were in the current gen of each console at the time), and I enjoyed it a fair bit. It took me a while to get used to the mechanics (how do i twice attack), but I eventually figured it out. Even if my first run of SD was hilariously bad (let me put it this way: Lorenz was good compared to the rest of my team), it still was a decent game.

I eventually started playing more and more games, and branching out as a player of Fire Emblem in general, especially with the help of LPs. And to be honest, I don't regret a single bit of it.

My history with the series is kind of funny, and intertwined with both Smash Bros and Pokemon. I first heard of FE through Marth and Roy in Melee, like many folks stateside. Roy was one of my mains in that game (I'm a little bummed that he wasn't in Brawl, but that's off topic), and I thought Marth's design was cool as well. Anyway, I did a little research on the series, and was disappointed to learn that none of the games had an international release. I saw a few screenshots of the games, but the language barrier kept me away. At the time ROM hacks and fan translations were still young and I wasn't able to find something I could play. I gave up on the series and sort of 'forgot' about it until a couple of years later.

The first FE title that I played was Blazing Sword (Simply called Fire Emblem at the time), again like many Americans. I discovered it by chance while at Toys R Us for a Pokemon TCG League session (yes, I was in that dorky Pokemon League sleep.gif) Anyway, I picked the game up on an impulse buy and the rest was history. I became captivated by the game, and the series as a whole has only gotten better with age. My favorite aspect of FE is each and every player unit's depth of character, lacking 'generic' units that are common to tactical RPGs. Each and every installment since has taken this further.

Oh, I never posted in here. Anyway, I first heard of FE not through Smash Bros. like most people, but thanks to getting Zelda: The Minish Cap for GBA. It came with a little booklet advertising other GBA games, and Sacred Stones was one of them. I thought the game sounded interesting, but I never got around to getting it.

Then when my younger brother and I got Brawl, he got me into playing Ike and I wanted to find Ike's game. When I found a description of the plot of PoR, I thought it sounded so awesome that I just had to have it. I got a used copy from GameStop, and couldn't put it down afterward. It was the best game I ever played! And I fell in love with Ike. He was epic and still is. <3

I got Radiant Dawn after that, then Sacred Stones, then finally FE7. Radiant Dawn is still my favorite, but Awakening could change that. :P

Oh! It was when Sacred Stones was released...

I asked my mom for a new gba game, I wanted "Golden Sun", and she said that it was fine, so, when she returned from his job, she bought the game, but when she gave it to me... It wasn't Golden Sun! It was Fire Emblem Sacred Stones! And I asked her how she confunded the games, and she told me "I remembered that the game was related to fire" (because of "Sun") ... So I played my new game, and I loved it! Never played Golden Sun, but I played all the Fire Emblem from 6 onwards~

isle of yoshi

I think isle is one syllable, dear~ /late

We got a new neighbour who me and my older brother became friends with. He played Fire Emblem and he introduced it to us. He had a Sacred Stones strategy guide and so he let us reference it and we liked to pretend we were actual FE units and would play outside x3

I remember when we looked at the class tree and since there were three of us, we would choose who we were between Pupil, Journeyman, and Recruit. I was all "ooh journeyman sounds like something cool!" so I said I wanted to be a Journeyman! I was all about swords back then so then he told me that it meant I was an axe user and I was all "D= but I want swoooooorrrrrrrrrrrrd" (though he said eventually I could become a Hero if I wanted =o)

I'm not exactly that burly or strong though x3 So it was completely unfitting heehee

I think my brother chose Recruit so my friend became Pupil~

Eventually he let us borrow Blazing Sword, Sacred Stones, and Path of Radiance =3 (not all at once though) After a bit I bought Path of Radiance and once I heard about "Goddess of Dawn" I got super excited and saved up my allowance for a Wii~

Edited by Freohr Datia

My cousin had FE7 and wanted to use my Game Boy Player. (The GBA hookup on the Game Cube). I didn't really know what was going on, but it had a guy who looked like Roy! It had to be awesome! Then one summer he let me try the game and I was completely hooked. I was so excited when Sacred Stones was announced, even though I later thought FE7 was so much better.

Like many others in the U.S., my first exposure to Fire Emblem was through Super Smash. I first started as a Roy player, then switched to Marth. I was captivated by their overall designs. Then, I played Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken for the GBA. Sadly, I don't own the actual game. I haven't played any of the modern ones till Awakening came out. I don't own a GameCube or a Wii, so I was unable to play them.

NIWA. And i am not joking.

One day i was doing my daily view at bulbapedia i saw

a fire emblem wiki. I was curious and decided to look

the site. I saw it, found fe7 for the gba, played it and

now that's where I am, have played almost all FE's

more than once each and now being addicted to the series.

My first game was Fire Emblem 7, the first one released in the UK. I had a new Gameboy Advance, and I was with my brother who'd just got his own. We were looking at all the games in our local shop and, since our parents weren't very well off, they said we could either have one game from the newer releases or go through the lower priced older games and returns. He found Advance Wars in the clearances, and I saw Fire Emblem. It looked cool, it had guys with swords and axes and dragons on it, but I *really* wanted a Kirby game at the time so I got that. For the next couple of weekends, I went to the game shop to look at all the games I could play. My brother was still really enjoying Advance Wars, and I'd finished Kirby, so he leant me AW to play. I loved it, but I thought to myself that it would be cooler if it had the fantasy setting of Fire Emblem, with swords and dragons, instead of tanks. The next time I went in, I saw that Fire Emblem still hadn't sold. I saw that it was Nintendo, like Kirby and Advance Wars, and that it was Intelligent Systems too! So I wondered if the game was turn-based strategy like Advance Wars, and hoped that it was. So I begged my mother to get it for me, and she did. I took it home... and fell in love.

Started with Smash Bros. and a short while after that was when I found a copy of FE7 (and figured I should still get it even though there was no Roy or Marth to be seen). Near the end of my second playthrough I decided to 'trade' it for a copy of Sacred Stones with a dude in my class, but I ended up with 0 FE games at the end of that day's shuffle (It turned out that we were both planning to end up with both games at the end of the day and I guess he won. Dunno how he did it to this day...) Game theft (participating and ending up a victim of it) was a large part of my childhood tbh.

Missed the PoR train, but bought RD and felt sorta lukewarm about it. Shadow Dragon was cool at launch. Awakening is the best that I've played since that GBA game though.

Played Smash Bros, the game pooped out of my brain for the longest time, eventually acquired Shadow Dragon through shady means, and laughed at how mediocre it was. I got to like Chapter 8 and quit, even though I went back and finished it later. It did develop my "no one can die must recruit everyone" OCD since I didn't know about the sidequests at the time.

My perception of the series changed entirely with the Ambassador Program thing, since FE8 was a much better/easier introduction to the series as much as I can't stand to play it now

I was a consistent user of Marth, Roy, and Link in SSBM. I enjoyed playing them so much that I was disappointed to see at the time when I had no chance to play the games because I thought they only existed in Japan. One of my friends back when we were in our early middle school years showed me the amazing GBA emulator and FE7 game. I asked to borrow his flash drive for a little while and got instantly hooked at how appealing it was!

I now have tried at least every game besides FE9, just because I ended up being poor college student, but still play the series with much enjoyment and satisfaction. Awesomness ensued after Lyn's prologue :)

*reads entire topic*

Wow, only one other person from the Genealogy era... Impressive that most peoples starts are the same

Anyway, I got into FE at Genealogy, I needed some snes games(roms) to play real bad so I went to a site that's dead now and dl'ed like 20 roms... and as I was scrolling through my rom list intending to play 'Fire Striker', when the game loaded... needless to say I loaded the wrong game, I got a gold Nintendo logo, and then some fire and people... then a pillar and some blue fire, weapons, then magic... then I saw 2 dragons and was like: "What the heck did I load?"

Then I went and played it, got everybody killed except Lex, Noish, Cuan, and Fin... and I wondered where the reviving stuff was... fortunately, I was quick to deduce that there was none... at least I thought at the time...

That's how I got into the game, wanting to improve my skills so no one died on my watch, then I think it was Ch.3 I first learned of promotions, because Ethlin was my very first promote ever, then I later learned about the Valkyrie staff, I didn't need it at that point but it still had a use(frowns at Dew)... then chapter 5 came along... I sighed, and relaxed... then IT happened... "WHAT IS HAPPENING!?, WHAT HAPPENED!? WHY? DID I MESS UP?" just when I nearly cried, save data, Chapter 6 starts "WHAT!? WHAT IS... THAT was supposed to happen!?" then Celice(at the time, it was Selis), Sigurd's son... then I was like "C'mon man, we gotta get revenge!" Then with my sworn brothers Lakche, Skasaha, and Leif(at the time)we made quick work of 2nd Gen... Then after the creds rolled, I realized that this was the best game(it's STILL my #1 of all time) I had ever played and that Celice was my fave character and my brother's was Leif... then we later found out they're cousins so it was cool

After that, I found FE 3&5, in the same way thus starting my passion for FE, Ironically I had already played FE 6&7 before I had ever even heard SSBM my cousin called me one day and asked "Hey, have you heard of a guy named Marth from something called Fire Emblem?" My eyes light up and care to imagine what my answer was? well I'm gonna stop rambling here...

All told, that was some 10 years ago, sorry for the wall of text, I just got nostalgic and emotional

*reads entire topic*

Wow, only one other person from the Genealogy era... Impressive that most peoples starts are the same

Anyway, I got into FE at Genealogy, I needed some snes games(roms) to play real bad so I went to a site that's dead now and dl'ed like 20 roms... and as I was scrolling through my rom list intending to play 'Fire Striker', when the game loaded... needless to say I loaded the wrong game, I got a gold Nintendo logo, and then some fire and people... then a pillar and some blue fire, weapons, then magic... then I saw 2 dragons and was like: "What the heck did I load?"

Then I went and played it, got everybody killed except Lex, Noish, Cuan, and Fin... and I wondered where the reviving stuff was... fortunately, I was quick to deduce that there was none... at least I thought at the time...

That's how I got into the game, wanting to improve my skills so no one died on my watch, then I think it was Ch.3 I first learned of promotions, because Ethlin was my very first promote ever, then I later learned about the Valkyrie staff, I didn't need it at that point but it still had a use(frowns at Dew)... then chapter 5 came along... I sighed, and relaxed... then IT happened... "WHAT IS HAPPENING!?, WHAT HAPPENED!? WHY? DID I MESS UP?" just when I nearly cried, save data, Chapter 6 starts "WHAT!? WHAT IS... THAT was supposed to happen!?" then Celice(at the time, it was Selis), Sigurd's son... then I was like "C'mon man, we gotta get revenge!" Then with my sworn brothers Lakche, Skasaha, and Leif(at the time)we made quick work of 2nd Gen... Then after the creds rolled, I realized that this was the best game(it's STILL my #1 of all time) I had ever played and that Celice was my fave character and my brother's was Leif... then we later found out they're cousins so it was cool

After that, I found FE 3&5, in the same way thus starting my passion for FE, Ironically I had already played FE 6&7 before I had ever even heard SSBM my cousin called me one day and asked "Hey, have you heard of a guy named Marth from something called Fire Emblem?" My eyes light up and care to imagine what my answer was? well I'm gonna stop rambling here...

All told, that was some 10 years ago, sorry for the wall of text, I just got nostalgic and emotional

O_O

Yeah, you seem like one of the very few people who didn't learn about Awakening through:

1) Super Smash Bros.

2) Ambassador The Sacred Stones

or

3) Awakening.

I didn't learn about Fire Emblem through the above reasons either~ dry.gif

I was just researching a game set in the Medieval era... and found Fire Emblem. I was searching for an action RPG game of some sort... but found a strategy one instead. Best. Find. Ever.

I know~ I wrote this before... (in this very thread) but I'm doing it again~

You quoted me in you signature??? But I'm such an insignificant contributor to Serenes Forest...

O_O

Yeah, you seem like one of the very few people who didn't learn about Awakening through:

1) Super Smash Bros.

2) Ambassador The Sacred Stones

or

3) Awakening.

I didn't learn about Fire Emblem through the above reasons either~ dry.gif

I was just researching a game set in the Medieval era... and found Fire Emblem. I was searching for an action RPG game of some sort... but found a strategy one instead. Best. Find. Ever.

I know~ I wrote this before... (in this very thread) but I'm doing it again~

You quoted me in you signature??? But I'm such an insignificant contributor to Serenes Forest...

reading that actually makes me feel kind of proud, I feel like I stand out in that regard... and a little bit old though

I'm kind of wondering what you were expecting when you were looking for your Medieval games and then chancing upon FE, and which FE was it?

As far as the sig goes... When I first saw that, I lol'ed into a stomach cramp

reading that actually makes me feel kind of proud, I feel like I stand out in that regard... and a little bit old though

I'm kind of wondering what you were expecting when you were looking for your Medieval games and then chancing upon FE, and which FE was it?

As far as the sig goes... When I first saw that, I lol'ed into a stomach cramp

I was expecting something... like LoZ, but not the LoZ... Something with a lot of action.

I thought, "FE has war. FE, naturally, has killing. FE has magic. FE has story."

...so I assumed there would be action of some sort.

Apparently not.

But~ I don't regret buying the game in the least. In fact, it was the best video game purchase in my life... maybe.

FE11 isn't very good, I know, but it's what got me into Fire Emblem.

Actually, it's good that FE11 was my first game.

Otherwise, I wouldn't have wanted to play it later~ XD

And, heh, I didn't expect I'd ever make it into someone's sig. Cool~ :)

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. I got FE10 from my uncle on Christmas, two months before I got Shadow Dragon. Buuuuut, I also got Brawl around then, so I never really touched it... I booted it up a few times, but I was like, "Unit move -> *one turn later* Micaiah dead -> Game over."

Edited by fireemblemfan4ever