High school is killing me...

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but then again that was 3 years ago so meh

When I was in highschool...

Granted the problem isn't just the education, it also has to do with the local fucked up government. See? We even have a book on wikileaks

"The non-fiction book Smith County Justice was written as an exposed of governmental corruption in the East Texas town of Tyler, the county seat of Smith County. Its publication sent shock waves through the political machine of the city of Tyler which then devised a plan for damage control. Shortly after its publication great pressure was brought upon the publisher to remove the book from circulation. All unsold copies in bookstores were ordered returned to the publisher and burned. Just exactly what threats were made against the publisher has been a subject of much speculation but there have been numerous examples of those who crossed the power elite in Tyler going to prison on trumped-up charges, being shot by the police, or in some cases simply disappearing (a few examples are given in the book). Considering the fact that Smith County courts can issue arrest warrants and request extraditions, it becomes apparent that even being out of state could not protect a publisher or author from trumped up charges in a vindictive legal system bent on revenge"

Wow I'm getting really off topic, sorry about that.

I never took any AP classes~ I just took normal classes because I wasn't good enough for any higher x3

note to self: never use sarcasm around fefan

and if I were a troll I'd be using sarcasm in every comment I made...

One of my teachers in high school was saying another thing learning so much calculus was helpful for was just to help get the brains more used to and better at problem solving and calculating too I guess...

Edited by Freohr Datia

Calculus is a thing of beauty and I am saddened by dislike towards it.

:<

(it's cool if you don't like it math is just one of my passions and as a double major in applied math and computer science it's pretty necessary for survival of college)

college is way more fun than high school

and i'm seriously only talking about the academic side

Yes this

You get to focus a lot more in subjects you actually enjoy instead of having to take the same type of predetermined subjects of not your choosing every year.

You mention Fire Emblem a disturbing amount of times in this.

Anyway, you mostly seem to be taking it too seriously. Relax. Take up drinking socially. And most importantly of all, take subjects you enjoy. If you hate the subject, you simply won't get anything out of it.

Unless you want to go to a really prestigious university or something, and even then, in my experience, it's only the last one or two years that matter (could be different pending on nation).

Oh, what I would give to take just three AP classes... X(

Oh what I would give to have taken *AP* classes instead of IB classes when I was in high school.

But no, seriously, just relax and take it a day at a time. You'll survive, and you'll have a lot more fun in college.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I'm so dang busy...

Research projects... essays... tests... labs... preparing for the SAT... being behind and having to catch up... I hate it.

And, of course, Awakening just has to come out when I'm busy and have little time to play it. *sigh* (<- Going to play it anyway.)

I hate high school... and I'm dying from it. (I guess I'll be pulling an all-nighter...)

All this for what? A good life? Yes, but why does it have to be so hard...?! Oh, the world and its competition... It's an interesting world to live in. [And a stressful one... a very, very stressful one. Fortunately, games like Fire Emblem make life easier... Wait, that's not true. Playing Fire Emblem on Lunatic (or its equivalent) can be very stressful at times too... Well, I guess that's a different kind of stress... Whatever, I'll be getting back to work...]

Can you really gauge how much time you log in each day outside of only going to school? I felt like things in high school were rather stressful, but I didn't really realize until later that I had a TON of free time. Doing 2 hours each day on average for a class felt bad. When I got into college and after each subsequent year, I realized I actually had more and more free time in the year before the one I was currently taking. What turned from having like 8-10 hours a day of free time (not including school, time to travel, eating, sleep, etc). ended up feeling like I only had like 2-3 hours of free time in a day. Maybe an hour or two here in there because I had to wait for classes to start or having lunch. My first and second year I had very little to do on the weekends, so I had a ton of free time there. Now, I have to work through the weekends to stay on top of everything of the work load I get.

Then again, it might just be the sort of classes I decided to take for myself and the expectations I set for myself. Someone I met put it rather well, "You could go through a class and do the required work and walk away with a B in a class, or you could pull nearly 1.5-2.0 the amount of minimal work and walk away with an A (person or class dependent though).

I understand that high school's important, but... really, who uses Calculus past college? Okay, physicists, astrophysicist, other physicists, more physicists, and pretty much all physicists. (I'm sure there are more, but I can't name any...) The typical (note how I emphasized the word) job won't require that particular subject. (Yet, here I am, taking AP Calculus...)

Oh, and misunderstandings is not too much of a problem! I know English, Russian, Korean, and some Japanese! (That covers a lot of countries. Well, the former two, that is.) I can travel in most of Europe, North America, and all of the former USSR with those languages... with either little or no miscommunications. :P

And more important than a high school diploma is a bachelor's degree... I'm working my way towards it.

But you're right. It's all important. (I never said it wasn't.) That "why" was more of a rhetorical question... :)

Oh, and when I was reading the "skills" part, I couldn't help but think, "My, that sounds a lot like Fire Emblem." :)

I do not know myself about calculus in other fields, but again, a teaching assistant of mine put it rather well, "its really only until you start studying higher up stuff that you really understand the lower level stuff and get it ingrained. I recall in high school where stuff like logs rules, exponential, fractions, etc. and many other early techniques in math were easily forgot. But eventually after using it so much I don't think I'll ever forget. So, stuff that was once easy if I had the chance to review it is not really stuck in my head. Hell, some trig stuff is easily re-derived and you better understand it once you see some places where it comes from.

Those random formulas for the area/volume of a sphere or cone or w/e. Consider a double/triple integral or integral of revolution. With that analytical thinking you sort of derive one way of coming up with it and you better have it memorized. Then again, I went from doing hardly any work in high school with advance placement courses to not studying for the ACT at all, and went into doing a near full major of physics, mathematics, engineering, with some chemistry and computer science on the side.

Well, maybe at one point in the future, humans will develop a machine that, once you stick it on your head, gives you all the information you'll ever need to know! :) (<- Not happening..)

Gwen Khan is probably the most amazing character in Outlaw Star. It is unfortunate for me that I am less studious than he is. (not to mention that I suspect galactic layline (sp?) doesn't exist)

Just a recc:

If you haven't thought about it, think about dropping a class. Not necc one of the APs. Just try and figure out what classes are useful to you, you enjoy, will enhance your competitive edge as a college applicant, aren't very hard, are hard but you feel "up" to*. And, of course, graduating in 4 years is probably a decent idea.

If that feels too much like the easy way out and you don't like the idea, or w/e, then, don't employ it.

*(i.e., you know what you have to do and can do it, as opposed to not really knowing what you have to do).

Edited by Mouse

@Joe Kerr

Ugh, high school... :)

(Yes, I know how you feel, as should most other people here who either go, or have gone, to high school...)

@Seregil

Three years is a pretty short time, actually... but you're right. I lot can change in a short time.

I have absolutely no interest in sports... nor do I know anything about them. I'm more of an academic guy, I guess.

@Rewjeo

Private school sounds nice... It's just, whenever I think of private school, I think "school uniforms" and "rich people." No offense.

Not everybody can afford private school... (Heck, I'm going to have problems with the ludicrously high prices of college tuition unless I get scholarships. *sigh* It's so nice to hear my mom talk about how much cheaper college was in her days... but it makes me mad, too. Why in the world does it have to be so darn expensive?)

@redturtle806

The more I hear from you, the more I think, "Hey, you must have lived in a pretty messed up neighborhood." Sounds like where I live. XD

And I guess it doesn't really matter if it gets off topic... After all, we're "far from the forest." (Rules don't apply here!)

@Freohr Datia

AP classes aren't necessary. They just help. By how much depends on how many AP classes you took and how much effort you put into it.

Oh, and, really, there are other methods of exercising one's brain. Calculus is important, yes, but if people take calculus for the sole purpose of exercising the brain, then I think they should get rid of it. They're not going to do that, though, because it has other uses...

And yeah, sarcasm is fun to use. :)

(My siblings call me overly sarcastic... which I won't deny because it's true.)

@Thor Odinson

I guess it just depends on the person. I don't necessarily dislike it, but I don't like it either... if that makes any sense. It can get annoying at times because it's sort of, well, complicated.

And yes, I hear that college is a lot better than high school... Yay, another reason to want to leave the house! (Freedom is probably the primary reason, though... Very teenager-ish of me, I know.)

@Furetchen

...Sorry about that. It's just... I have an obsession with Fire Emblem. *-* (Ask my siblings; they'll agree. XD) A really big obsession... (Thankfully, nothing detrimental to anything has happened yet.)

Oh, and... um... I'm not old enough to drink yet... nor do I really care. I'm not one for alcoholic drinks.

And I would take the classes I liked if I could, but I can't. I have to wait 'til college for that...

As for whether I want to go to a prestigious university or not... The only one I would possibly consider is MIT. Everything else is... not so interesting.

I'll probably just stick around my state (Maryland). They have decent enough colleges there.

What I don't like is that Maryland's standards are pretty high. To be eligible for a National Merit Scholarship, you need at least a 219 (in for 2012-2013 students). I got a 201. Sure that's in the 97th percentile, which is good, but still... I was 18 points short. (That 53 in the critical reading section really killed the total score... I'll need to practice more before I take the SAT...)

@shadowofchaos (<- I just can't write that without pressing the space bar between "shadow" and "of.")

IB classes? Hm, that's the first time I've heard about that... I don't know what they are, sorry to say.

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to do... take it a day at a time. 'Cause when I look at what I have to do for the whole school year, it... makes me feel... busy? (I don't like feeling busy. It's stressful.)

@Erika the Explosive One

Well, I guess it's always the "now" that humans tend to see. Now things seem so hectic to me. Perhaps in the future, I'll be even busier (<- I can't imagine that.) and think, "Hey, I had so much free time then." But that's later. As for now, it's still... "I'm busy, I'm busy, I'm busy."

I don't have much to say on the second part... I'm only 16. 16-year-olds don't have much life experience (although some may claim that they do). Maybe later... maybe later...

After all, life has it's surprises. (Look at you. From hardly doing any work -> all these complicated courses.)

I want a major in some science-y subject.

@Fenrir

(no comment)...

Actually, on second thought... I'd much appreciate it if such comments were avoided. Isn't this supposed to be a forum for conversations, not insults? But... you do whatever you please. I have no control whatsoever over what you say or what you do. I'm just saying, "Please, I'd prefer you refrain from such remarks. I deem them unnecessary. Thank you."

@Mouse

If I intend to get grants or scholarships, I don't think dropping a class would be beneficial to such endeavors. So... thanks, but no thanks.

(Maybe if my parents were rich... but they're not. So, I have to do my share and study hard... or at least decently.)

Oh, and I wanted to graduate in three years. ^_^ (It saves time and money... mostly money.)

Edited by fireemblemfan4ever

Last weekend I talked with my teacher about piano skills. Convo went like this:

Teacher: FB is a fake world. People are losing themselves in. *insert paragraph about its absurdness* Live music will gain popularity once again!

Me: Yeah I dislike Fb too. But you know there's this other madness called gaming. :3 I kinda get bored sometimes and spend loads of my time gaming.

Teacher: Well you have your piano!

Me: Yes I do, but I can maybe sit for an hour a day.(Really though probably 2 hours a day, just not continuously) after that I get bored of playing. I keep playing the same thing over and over. I don't even know what I'm doing.

Teacher: But it is only by doing it over and over that you can refine your art. So when you do refine it, and perform, it sounds fantastic. If you see my schedule, I make a list of certain licks, frills, scales and pieces I practice everyday and I change it every week.

Me: OK, so when you learn these new licks, is it for a particular situation or a piece? Are you aware of that situation?

Teacher: What skills you learn becomes a part of your playing. For example, how're you able to improvise on the D blues for *insert piece*? Because you're well versed in playing it! You don't know when you'll play it but it becomes a part of your playing!

Me: Ok wow. So then the only thing to do is learn more and practice?

Teacher: practice will be tough, sometimes very painful. But the end is rewarding when you master a new skill.

Don't think studying is any different haha. Well, at least I've now found out WHY I do what I do. xD

My school starts tomorrow and this thread just demotivated me further.

And then, I realise that I've not done any of my holiday's homework, so I'll probably be met with a scold-feat when I go back to school. Urgh.

@Bluedoom

Ah, piano practice... Fortunately for me, I stopped my lessons a few years back... Wait, that's unfortunate for me. I want to learn more piano... T_T

I've been playing for about 11 years know... Recently I haven't been practicing much, though... (I can never get passed the middle of the Moonlight Sonata Third Movement. (Note how I emphasized the last two words. The first is fine. The second is fine... though I've never tried it. I've heard it, and it sounds easy. The third, however, is... hard. Very hard.)

Buy yeah, my teacher was always saying how practice was important. It is. I certainly don't disagree on that.

Well, probably that's because I myself teach piano now... to my two younger siblings. (That is not easy. It's so hard dealing with them. Since they're my siblings, they have no respect for whatsoever, which doesn't help at all.)

Studying is... meh, let's just say that studying is studying (and not complicate things... XD).

@MancerNecro

Uh-oh, better do as much as you can before it starts! :)

(I know how you feel. I'm a bit behind, too... T_T)

Edit: Is ^that (your profile picture) a Lapras + Gardevoir + Cresselia?! Weird combination...

I came in here expecting Sandy Hook/Colombine/Virginia Tech jokes, but OP actually seems to be a somewhat decent humsn being.

I am disappoint.

@Freohr Datia

AP classes aren't necessary. They just help. By how much depends on how many AP classes you took and how much effort you put into it.

Oh, and, really, there are other methods of exercising one's brain. Calculus is important, yes, but if people take calculus for the sole purpose of exercising the brain, then I think they should get rid of it. They're not going to do that, though, because it has other uses...

And yeah, sarcasm is fun to use. :)

(My siblings call me overly sarcastic... which I won't deny because it's true.)

Well, of course they aren't! That's why I never took them XD

I dunno if I'd discard it completely like that, but whatever...

Hm well anyway you have trouble detecting it on the internet xb But that's understandable I guess (just sometimes it looked pretty obvious to me...) since without tone of voice to go by it isn't as easy to be able to tell on the internet when somebody is being sarcastic~

@MancerNecro

Uh-oh, better do as much as you can before it starts! :)

(I know how you feel. I'm a bit behind, too... T_T)

Edit: Is ^that (your profile picture) a Lapras + Gardevoir + Cresselia?! Weird combination...

The problem is in actually getting myself to start it again. I have a huge problem with procrastinating work.

Yeah. It's a splice I did myself of a possible Psychic/Ghost Pokemon. The tentacles are from Tentacruel, which I've turned into something like hands.

@Mikethfc

Hey! What's that supposed to mean?! :)

A somewhat decent human being?! By whose standards, huh? :)

I'm offended. (<-Well, not really. What people say on the Internet doesn't faze me. I don't know them, and it's more than likely that I never will... so I don't overreact or anything like that, if you know what I mean.)

@Freohr Datia

Nope, calculus is not going yet. What a pity.

Yes, sarcasm can be hard to detect online... borderline impossible at times.

BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN WE CAN'T USE IT!!!

@MancerNecro

Same here... sort of. It depends on what the work is.

Cool. :)

I didn't notice the Tentacruel part 'til you told me.

It's very... interesting. Actually, it looks nice EXCEPT for the Lapras head. The yellow and purple compliment each other nicely, but that shade of blue just jutting out there changes things... not to mention it's over-sized. XD

But like I said, it's still cool. :)

(I certainly wouldn't be able make splices like that. :P)

dont you!

forget about me

dont dont dont dont!

Huh? What do you mean by "Don't you forget about me?"

as you walk on by

when you call my name

as you walk on by

will you call my name

This confuses me too. (<- Why do I need to call your name again?)

Edit: IT'S A DOUBLE POST!!! :) Haha... jk. We're "far from the forest," where rules don't apply, I know. :)