Another Reason to Hate High School

Only a year and a half! ^^

Well, my rules aren't gonna be much different from my parents'.

Just my money-spending rules. Definitely my money-spending rules.

Yeah.

You do gotta be careful what you spend on.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You bet'cha I am. I really want this game... and I'll be getting it. Just late. Later. (Even later than Europe.)

I hope to get a 2100... on my first try. (I never took the SAT before... just the PSAT.)

Wow. o_O

The instructions are such an important part of the test. To mess them up, is to, like, mess everything up. (<- Exaggeration.)

OH, don't get me wrong. I did NOT get a 2100 on my FIRST try :) For me, like I said, I screwed up the critical reading, which was one of my big strengths, and took it again, and got a better score. When I was taking it, they'd compile your best scores.

But if you do, good going! Esp given that you've got a fairly immediate reason to do well.

And at the bolded thing, lol, and how well you capture my attitude.

And a'wha? Why in the would would you take the SAT in 7th/8th grade? That's early. Really, really early. (You sure it was the SAT?)

It's like...

hmm, why would they give you a PSAT, when you can't even count the PSAT for college apps? Generally, it seems, in part, to give you an opportunity to prepare for the SAT. But, it also does allow them to collect data they can use.

Similarly, the summer program - a talented youth thingy at colleges (NOT college level courses at colleges, BTW) -

As for the parentheses thing, all I can say is, I was gonna say trust my memory on it, but here's a bit of substantiation.

This is a page for the program in question:

http://cty.jhu.edu/t...ing/before.html

2. Learn more about each test onlineSCAT for Grades 2-8

STB for Grades 5-8

SAT and ACT for Grades 7-8

As you can see, they do use SATs as a yardstick for grades 7-8 (and ACT). I did the program for 2 years; it's possible that the first time, I was in 6th grade and taking the STB. Not sure. I do feel confident that, in applying for them the second time, if not the first, I was testing with the SAT, in a high school environment (with HSers).

Does the writing section even count for anything? I mean, they added it and all, but I always felt it was pretty lame.

Also if I got sub-2100, does that mean I'm of a lower caste of brainless beasts?

Also can't wait to see how this kid reacts to MCATs in like ~4 years.

OH, don't get me wrong. I did NOT get a 2100 on my FIRST try :) For me, like I said, I screwed up the critical reading, which was one of my big strengths, and took it again, and got a better score. When I was taking it, they'd compile your best scores.

But if you do, good going! Esp given that you've got a fairly immediate reason to do well.

And at the bolded thing, lol, and how well you capture my attitude.

It's like...

hmm, why would they give you a PSAT, when you can't even count the PSAT for college apps? Generally, it seems, in part, to give you an opportunity to prepare for the SAT. But, it also does allow them to collect data they can use.

Similarly, the summer program - a talented youth thingy at colleges (NOT college level courses at colleges, BTW) -

As for the parentheses thing, all I can say is, I was gonna say trust my memory on it, but here's a bit of substantiation.

This is a page for the program in question:

http://cty.jhu.edu/t...ing/before.html

As you can see, they do use SATs as a yardstick for grades 7-8 (and ACT). I did the program for 2 years; it's possible that the first time, I was in 6th grade and taking the STB. Not sure. I do feel confident that, in applying for them the second time, if not the first, I was testing with the SAT, in a high school environment (with HSers).

Yeah~

I need to do well...

I got a 201 for the PSAT, which is equivalent to a 2012 in the SAT. So I need to add at least 90 to that.

For data... and other stuff...

In the past two days, I've gotten 11 college offers... just because I got a measly 201. I mean, fine, that's decent (97th percentile), but there's other kids out there with better scores... I feel like, "What? Why me?"

For instance, to be eligible for the National Merit Scholarship in Maryland, you needed at least a 219 (2012-2013). That's the minimum. But then again, Maryland has one of the highest standards in America... Third, next to D.C., Massachusetts, and California (two of those are tied... I forgot which two. I think it was California and D.C. tied for second.)

You seemed to have done a lot...

Does the writing section even count for anything? I mean, they added it and all, but I always felt it was pretty lame.

Also if I got sub-2100, does that mean I'm of a lower caste of brainless beasts?

Yes, the writing section is one-third of the score, naturally. I felt that all the sections are lame... I *feel* that all the sections are lame. That doesn't change anything...

And no, sub-2100 means you're average. Heck, even if you get more than 2100, you're still average. I'm in the 97th percentile (for the PSAT). Do I feel smarter than other individuals? No. I don't. Perhaps I know more, but I don't feel smarter. Everyone is smart in his/her own way... Everyone is more or less average... Well, almost everyone.

ARGH! Stupid MCATs... (How'd you know I wanted to become a doctor? :P)

I don't want to stress over stuff like that now...

And will I even be around here after college? Maybe... But that's a lo~ong time... (And then I can say I've been here for five years like Freohr Datia just did recently...)

Not being able to get FE13 until June isn't a bad thing. If you're lucky maybe the price will have dropped by then. I am purposely waiting until after the semester ends to get a 3DS and FE13 because the last thing I need right now is another distraction. I mean, at least it's coming out to the U.S. and you can get it.

Also, SATs aren't bad if you study for them properly. All those practice SAT tests? Worth it. Took it three times. Got 1850, something in the 1900s, and then 2250 on my final attempt.

Not being able to get FE13 until June isn't a bad thing. If you're lucky maybe the price will have dropped by then. I am purposely waiting until after the semester ends to get a 3DS and FE13 because the last thing I need right now is another distraction. I mean, at least it's coming out to the U.S. and you can get it.

Also, SATs aren't bad if you study for them properly. All those practice SAT tests? Worth it. Took it three times. Got 1850, something in the 1900s, and then 2250 on my final attempt.

A price drop? I doubt it.

Unless it sells horribly, Nintendo's not going to cut the price... (And I don't want the game to sell horribly.)

Yeah, that's why my parents don't want me to get the game... It'll be a distraction. (Being Korean is hard... jk. jk. lol :P)

And yes, I am extremely grateful that Nintendo's even releasing the game outside Japan...

The SAT -- I'm not too worried about that. The math section is, pshaw, easy. The writing section is easy... except for the essay, but I'm working on that (by taking AP Lang, which I presume to be significantly harder). The critical reading is... hard for me. :( But I'm working on that, too... By the end of this school semester, I should be better... hopefully.

I hope to get at least a 2100 on my first attempt. That way, I don't have to re-take the test.

A price drop? I doubt it.

Unless it sells horribly, Nintendo's not going to cut the price... (And I don't want the game to sell horribly.)

Yeah, that's why my parents don't want me to get the game... It'll be a distraction. (Being Korean is hard... jk. jk. lol :P)

Maybe I just get my games way after they come out, I dunno. Also lolKoreanparentsIknowthefeeling.

The SAT -- I'm not too worried about that. The math section is, pshaw, easy. The writing section is easy... except for the essay, but I'm working on that (by taking AP Lang, which I presume to be significantly harder). The critical reading is... hard for me. :( But I'm working on that, too... By the end of this school semester, I should be better... hopefully.

I hope to get at least a 2100 on my first attempt. That way, I don't have to re-take the test.

So SAT is still composed of essay, critical reading, and math then?

I don't even remember SAT, or PSAT.

Maybe that's good...

Maybe I just get my games way after they come out, I dunno. Also lolKoreanparentsIknowthefeeling.

So SAT is still composed of essay, critical reading, and math then?

Maybe you do... or you just find them at cheaper prices...

My dad's good at that... he looks and looks and looks and looks... and then finds a really good price. :P

Then everybody's like, "My, how did you get that at such a cheap price?"

I'm not like that, though... I just pay whatever the price is...

Well, the SAT consists of three sections: writing, critical reading, and math. (But you already know that.)

The essay is just a part of the writing section, the other part being grammar and such.

Just a small note... when I saw 산귤, I thought of 귤... Mountain clementines...

I met a guy whose name was 소나무... Weird name... Tree So... or just Pinetree/Fir.

Edited by fireemblemfan4ever

I'm a straight A slacker.

I chose this way.

If I really WANTED to. I could easily get Straight A and acquire the car prize. even though im deaf im insanely smart

Edited by Ubel Engel

I'm perfectly fine with B's~ C's are alright, but I would prefer better.

I'm an underachiever x3 Either that or perfect-achiever if I am not capable of getting completely all A's...

Sounds like me~

Except for the "being fine with B - Cs" part. Maybe Bs... not Cs... I don't like Cs... Yet I always seem to get them.

@Ubel Engel

Most people could get straight As if they REALLY wanted to.

@Ubel Engel

Most people could get straight As if they REALLY wanted to.

Some people are born stupid you know that... See Facebook people and bieber fans...

You know what I means though.

And other people also choose to put money up their nose.

Some people are born stupid you know that... See Facebook people and bieber fans...

You know what I means though.

And other people also choose to put money up their nose.

Facebook people - stupid? Good thing I don't have a Facebook account! :P Then I'd be "stupid."

And Bieber fans... Ugh, Bieber fans. I have nothing against Justin Bieber. In fact, I think his music is good...

But his fans... They're crazy. When I watched that documentary about him...

Those girls are crazy.

Really, really, really crazy...

Actually if she knew the problem and understood then yeah. Also it bugs me because she actually rewarded me for bringing a low F to a high F(29 to 69:/) and yet got mad when I was actually passing my classes(in which I am now passing them all thanks to Extra Credit and Final exams.)

She probably is happy when you do better than you have previously, not just when you pass. If you get a worse grade than last time and still pass, she doesn't care about the passing. She just cares that you didn't improve.

I feel like I'm the only one who has problems with the writing part, not the reading. On my PSATs (taking SATs this March, junior year), I got 98th% on critical reading, but 96th on the rest

:(

However, PSATs don't include the essay. Which I hate, but there are apparently tricks for the essay to make it "correct" in the eyes of the examiners.

I usually heard the writing section didn't count for much. Possibly a very low score might be a dis-qualifier - not sure. It wasn't the only change made, AFAIK. Whether the other changes were substantive, ?

I don't have much of an opinion on the worth of the SAT as a test. I got into college - obviously it failed in my case.

For instance, to be eligible for the National Merit Scholarship in Maryland, you needed at least a 219 (2012-2013). That's the minimum. But then again, Maryland has one of the highest standards in America... Third, next to D.C., Massachusetts, and California (two of those are tied... I forgot which two. I think it was California and D.C. tied for second.)

Ya. I'm in NJ. I was in a pretty good school, too, public though, if that info matters to you.

Benjamin Strong was an alum!

And no, sub-2100 means you're average. Heck, even if you get more than 2100, you're still average. I'm in the 97th percentile (for the PSAT). Do I feel smarter than other individuals? No. I don't. Perhaps I know more, but I don't feel smarter. Everyone is smart in his/her own way... Everyone is more or less average... Well, almost everyone.

You sure about the use of the word average, in particular, though? Normal may actually be a better word. I won't bore you with references to basic statistics I've forgotten, though.

Maybe other people feel differently, but I feel I say the truth when people do not often seem average to me. Maybe if I look at their strengths and weaknesses together, I'd find that to be the case, but I'm not sure I see enough of them.

However, PSATs don't include the essay. Which I hate, but there are apparently tricks for the essay to make it "correct" in the eyes of the examiners.

Hmmmm...one thing I was told, is that really, the examiners aren't going to be factchecking your essay, because they don't really have the time (like 2 mins).

Edited by Mouse

Four months isn't that long, get school out of the way first and it's fine. Consider yourself lucky that you've been able to afford a 3DS, there are quite a few people who wouldn't be able to.

Dang, I feel bad for you. Like, really bad for you. I hope you still can get the game anyway, getting the game after its release is better than no game at all.

True that.

I agree.

I agree, but still... After watching that 20-minute video in English, I feel even worse.

I feel like I'm the only one who has problems with the writing part, not the reading. On my PSATs (taking SATs this March, junior year), I got 98th% on critical reading, but 96th on the rest

:(

Dang, that's good. I'm hoping to get 99th% for math, 99th% for writing, and at least 90th% for critical reading. (My dad said that if I get over a 600, he'll get me a computer. If I get over 650, I'll get a computer of my choice. Get over 700, and I'll get a car... I think he said that because he's pretty sure I won't get over 700. :P

I'll show him! :) No, even if I got over 700, I wouldn't ask for a car... that'd be inconsiderate, considering our financial situation. I'll just ask for a computer. At least a computer.

I usually heard the writing section didn't count for much. Possibly a very low score might be a dis-qualifier - not sure. It wasn't the only change made, AFAIK. Whether the other changes were substantive, ?

I don't have much of an opinion on the worth of the SAT as a test. I got into college - obviously it failed in my case.

Ya. I'm in NJ. I was in a pretty good school, too, public though, if that info matters to you.

Benjamin Strong was an alum!

You sure about the use of the word average, in particular, though? Normal may actually be a better word. I won't bore you with references to basic statistics I've forgotten, though.

Maybe other people feel differently, but I feel I say the truth when people do not often seem average to me. Maybe if I look at their strengths and weaknesses together, I'd find that to be the case, but I'm not sure I see enough of them.

Hmmmm...one thing I was told, is that really, the examiners aren't going to be factchecking your essay, because they don't really have the time (like 2 mins).

"Everyone is normal." -- that works, too.

I don't know about the stats either, so... eh.

The essay shouldn't be that hard... It'll be easier than the essays I'm writing for my AP Lang class, that's for sure.

stop feeling sorry for yourself, it's really pathetic

Then I'm pathetic, I guess... :P

And gee, why can't I pity myself? It's natural to be upset about something you want a lot, isn't it?

For some people, it's, say, computers. For some people, a car. For me, it's Fire Emblem Awakening.

Four months isn't that long, get school out of the way first and it's fine. Consider yourself lucky that you've been able to afford a 3DS, there are quite a few people who wouldn't be able to.

I'd like that bundle, too. :(

My dad doesn't like the idea of me getting a second 3DS, though, when I have a perfectly functional Midnight Purple one I got half a year ago...

I'll have to buy it later, I guess... Or I might just get an XL. An XL might be better... I hope they release that Pikachu one in America... I'd get that instead, then.

I like the FE13 one because of it's color and design... but I love Pikachu, too... They're both good, I guess...

Bieber needs to mature his music before I could consider liking it. Right now his fans consist mainly of young teenage girls.

Didn't he do that with Believe?

It's more "mature" than My World 2.0, if you ask me.

I like his music. Actually, I take that back. I don't like his music; I think his music is okay.

But yeah, his fans are all young teenage/preteen girls...

Didn't he do that with Believe?

It's more "mature" than My World 2.0, if you ask me.

I like his music. Actually, I take that back. I don't like his music; I think his music is okay.

But yeah, his fans are all young teenage/preteen girls...

His music is generally aimed towards that group of people considering his songs. Maybe one day he'll start making songs which adults can enjoy and one day say, "Hey, remember when this guy was a kid and he sung like a girl about being my boyfriend or something? He's come a long way!"

His music is generally aimed towards that group of people considering his songs. Maybe one day he'll start making songs which adults can enjoy and one day say, "Hey, remember when this guy was a kid and he sung like a girl about being my boyfriend or something? He's come a long way!"

I dunno, wasn't Britney Spears like that, too?