Some questions about SNES RPGs

MacLovin

I've gotten an interest in them after trying Chrono Trigger, and want to know if there are any more worth trying.

I've heard good things of Terranigma, Robotrek, Tales of Phantasia, Legend of Gaia, Soul Blazer, Lufia, Tactics Ogre, and FF3.

Oh and the original SMT sounds fun but is it worth it?

But I don't have the time to try all of them and are wondering which one is the highest recommended one aside from Chrono Trigger or Earthbound or Super MArio RPG or Final Fantasy.

Edited by Inspector Clouseau

I've heard good things about those Fire Emblem games for the SNES. I'm not sure if anybody around here would be interested in them, though, considering how unknown they generally are.

As an actual post, SMT is fun, once you figure out what you're doing.

Edited by Strunk

All those which you mentioned are pretty good. Lufia and Chrono Trigger are probably my favourite JRPGs from that era because I'm biased and they have a nostalgia factor because they are interesting and especially the latter is just excellent. FF3 was nice, but imo the FF games in general are a bit one-sided for some reason I really liked the first though, and the Fire Emblems were pretty nice, though they're kind of dull.

Oh right and Earthbound was cool.

Edited by Piss Macho Macho Macho

Secret of Mana and Dragon Quest 4 are pretty good. I'm personally not a fan of the SNES SMT but I know of people (Jedi and only Jedi) who like it. Earthbound and Chrono Trigger are also worth a try.

Terranigma: Think of it as a bit more like a platformer. I recommend it though. Has an awesome soundtrack.

The "problem" I have with this game, is that it has a few different spear moves you can do, but generally the grounded dash attack is the best, IMO, because it gives you invincibility, and you can move through enemies.

But it's fun to use the other moves as well. The jump-crash-slide move is just fun to destroy **** with.

In a way, playing this game for me is like playing a SNES version of Dynasty Warriors where you're controlling Zhao Yun or Ma Chao or something...

Soul Blazer: I don't recommend as much as Terranigma, but it's pretty cool (maybe I just like SNES art).

Secret of Mana's sequel, Seiken Densetsu 3, offers similar gameplay with more characters, a class system and three different scenarios. The story's pretty cliché, but it's a fun game.

Treasure of the Rudras is another good Squaresoft gem. You can even create your own spells, using katakana/english letters depending of the version of your patch. Definitely worth trying.

There's Super Mario RPG as well. It's very different from the Paper Mario games, but it's still just as hilarious.

Finally there's Paladin's Quest and its untranslated sequel Lennus 2. Probably best played under the influence of drugs though.

Play ff5. I used to think 6 was better, even after I played 5 through once, but after going more in depth and playing through 5 again, I have to say it's better. Grinding magic in 6 is boring and without grinding you have fewer options, but as long as you plan you never need to grind in 5. There is plenty of time and AP to learn the important jobs for each character just playing through the story and some sidequests.

Also, try Seiken Densetsu 3, if you are willing to emulate so that you can download a translation. It's, imo, better than secret of mana (sd2), even if there is a bunch of stuff you can see they were going to do but never did and it would've been awesome if they had. Especially if they'd actually included the resistances of the sword and shield guy's shields.

Also, I second Bahamut's Lagoon. I also recommend Sailor Moon Another Story. Shut up I know I shouldn't have touched anything Sailor Moon, but I had already finished a ton of SNES RPGS that interested me and I was searching for others and figured why not. The story itself is not so great but presumably you are playing for the mechanics rather than the story.

Lufia 2 is pretty cool, yeah... And it have Dekkar which alone makes it thousands time better than Lufia

Lufia is unplayable,really...

Earthbound is a must play.

Also, nobody mentioned Live a Live ?

There is even an awesome translation available.

You follow different characters in different periods from Prehistoric Time to Distant Future, with each a different kind of gameplay.

Ruidra is pretty hard without help. You have really few hints on Spell creation...

There's also a pretty forgotten game named Treasure Hunter... It mixed Adventure with SRPG Fights. Ennemies aren't rebattable...

Dragon Quest is a really classic RPG, but it have interresting ideas... You may prefer the DS Remake for DQ5, though...

DQVI doesn't have the monster capture in the remake, so you may prefer playing the SNES Version...

FFVI is pretty good. It doesn't have true main characters, even if some have more importance than others.

It's one of my first RPGs so I'm not totally objective about it... And it uses really well all its means to their fullest...

FFV is made to be fun... It takes itself less seriously than the others, but it's pretty cool.

Bahamuth Lagoon... It's pretty fun and have a lot of interresting mechanics... You should give it a try.

Is E.V.O. a decent pick? I've heard good things but "acquiring it" takes alot of time.

dammit Lufia 2 earlygame is so tedious with that text and events.

Also I'm starting to love Robotrek.

I heard that DragonQuest kinda sucked and that ff3's only good point was the story.

Erm, Robotrek seems to be fun, like FFTA

Dragon Quest V is very good, though the truly definitive version is on the DS. FF3, if you've played a game in the series prior to X, you've seen it for the most part.

It really depends on what type of RPG you're looking for. If you're looking for something more akin to Chrono Trigger, you're likely looking at something like Final Fantasy IV (better on the DS or PSP) or VI. Also consider Super Mario RPG, which is shockingly good, and either Lufia or Breath of Fire, which are good but I thought they were a bit cookie-cutter. If you want to get freaky, check out the SaGa series.

For more tactical fare, you're looking at either Ogre Battle or Shadowrun. For more action-oriented fare, you're looking at Secret of Mana, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma or even Secret of Evermore (the old SNES Ys games are also an option; Ys III was released in America). Finally, if you like self-flagellation, there's Wizardry (think Etrian Odyssey without anything modern, at all) or Dungeon Master, though I have a feeling you won't be wanting to get into those.

I think all three FF games are absolutely worth it. IV (II in US) is short, solid and very lean, and VI (III in US) is brilliant and has especially strong set pieces. I wouldn't try SMT unless you're into archaic and obtuse design. It takes a lot of patience to be able to enjoy. If you'd like to get into SMT games, you're better off starting with later games in the series.

As for other things, I basically second most everything else that has been mentioned, particularly Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3 and Shadowrun.

Also, nobody mentioned Live a Live ?

There is even an awesome translation available.

You follow different characters in different periods from Prehistoric Time to Distant Future, with each a different kind of gameplay.

Ya, there's more than one translation. I didn't really note a lot of the stuff in the newer translation, but some of the changes in translation made to the Caveman chapter were pretty sweet.

I mean, I'm pretty sure there's only one english word spoken in that entire chapter.

I second Live-a-live. It's a pretty great RPG. I love the battle system, with how you can move freely while not implementing active time, and attack with commands commonly seen in RPGs. It has different scenarios, which is pretty cool, ranging from a Sci-fi scenario which is purely story with the only battles being the final boss and some optional arcade game, to a Wrestler scenario which is nothing but a series of boss battles where you learn the opponent's moves when you get hit by them.

Secret of Evermore is a sorely underrated game and you should give it a try.

Will do.

Breath of Fire seems kinda generic, is there anything that it's unique in aside from FUSION DANCE.

Secret of Evermore just tossed me into god knows what and I'm dying against the raptor and I have no clue what to do next.