The Lunatic Club

Shinori

Hey, question: How in the HELL do you beat chapter 3? I mean, I've read some of the strategies that people have put on here, and they're not really working out for me.

Ugh, I was writing up a strategy for chapter 2 when I re-checked and saw which chapter you had written.

Lunatic or Lunatic+?

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just exploit the chokepoint if you're really struggling with dealing with the top. whoever's tankiest should be able to just sit there unequipped whilst you chuck ranged attacks over their head and heal periodically.

just exploit the chokepoint if you're really struggling with dealing with the top. whoever's tankiest should be able to just sit there unequipped whilst you chuck ranged attacks over their head and heal periodically.

That's what I've been trying to do. One problem though: Hammer.

Stats

Chrom Level 1, Experience 63

HP20/STR7/MAG1/SKILL8/SPEED8/LCK5/DEF7/RES1

Inventory: Falchion/Rapier (35)/Seed of Trust (Lucky sparklez)

MaMU Level 1, Experience 15

HP19/STR6/MAG5/SKILL4/SPD6/LCK8/DEF6/RES4

Inventory: Thunder (43)

Lissa Level 2, Experience 2

HP18/STR2/MAG5/SKILL4/SPD4/LCK9/DEF3/RES4

Inventory: Heal (24)

Frederick Level 5, Experience 39

HP32/STR16/MAG2/SKILL14/SPD12/LCK6/DEF15/RES4

Inventory: Silver Lance (19)/Bronze Sword (29)/Iron Sword (39)/Iron Lance (40)/Vulnerary (3, and yes I ran out of elixir)

Virion Level 2, Experience 0

HP19/STR6/MAG0/SKILL11 (+2)/SPD5/LCK7/DEF6/RES1

Inventory: Iron Bow (40)

Sully Level 2, Experience 50

HP20/STR7/MAG1/SKILL8/SPD8/LCK6/DEF7/RES2

Inventory: Bronze Lance (41)

Vaike Level 3, Experience 0

HP24 (+5)/STR9/MAG0/SKILL8/SPD8/LCK4/DEF5/RES0

Inventory: Iron Axe

Stahl Level 2, Experience 0

HP22/STR9/MAG0/SKILL7/SPD6/LCK8/DEF8/RES1

Inventory: Bronze Sword

Miriel Level 1, Experience 0

HP18/STR0/MAG6 (+8)/SKILL5/SPD7/LCK6/DEF3/RES4

Inventory: Fire (45)

Nothing extra in convoy.

If the hammer's giving you trouble, it's because you trained Frederick instead of Robin. Robin's easy to train up to surpass Frederick by chapter 3, you just need to use the water trick to hide in the river in the prologue and snipe all of the enemies of the final wave with thunder.

Edited by Alastor15243

Yeah, relying on Fred will get you in big trouble whenever Hammertime comes around (that's actually the whole reason he's there- trolling people who overuse Frederick). You'll probably want to restart using a +Def Avatar and feeding them all the kills, with a C Fred support you should have at least 20 Def by the time you fight upper Cht.3 (read: almost invincible), which is more than enough to get by.

I don't see people recommend Fred solos very often here, though, so I'm guessing you were digging in some old threads to find that bit of advice. Protip: Awakening's metagame moves very fast, and even a year ago was incredibly... Bad. It's best not to trust anything older than a month unless you can get someone to give you a really good explanation of why it works (actually, be wary even if it's fresh advice, especially if it comes from GameFAQs).

what's the general strategy for tackling Cynthia's paralogue, particularly getting the Large Bullion the leader's carrying and training up my Chrom!Cynthia? Should I pass down Luna or Galeforce? I'm leaning towards galeforce because it's harder to get and in a more statistically out-of-the-way class...

I haven't actually used Cynthia on Lunatic (have done Hard) but I'd probably say agree with Galeforce because GKs don't have to worry about bows and the tankiness is nice and Cav is a pretty solid class to be in unpromoted, especially considering Cynthia probably has a buttload of speed from Sumia already anyway.

I usually just wait for the leader to recruit like half the npcs so he's halfway across the map already and makes it harder for him to escape quickly, but that does mean fighting extra enemies. If your team is up for that, I'd recommend doing that.

I haven't actually used Cynthia on Lunatic (have done Hard) but I'd probably say agree with Galeforce because GKs don't have to worry about bows and the tankiness is nice and Cav is a pretty solid class to be in unpromoted, especially considering Cynthia probably has a buttload of speed from Sumia already anyway.

I usually just wait for the leader to recruit like half the npcs so he's halfway across the map already and makes it harder for him to escape quickly, but that does mean fighting extra enemies. If your team is up for that, I'd recommend doing that.

More of those mercenaries means more schmucks I can hit-and-run with Cynthia using a beastkiller :)

Edited by Alastor15243

Yeah, relying on Fred will get you in big trouble whenever Hammertime comes around (that's actually the whole reason he's there- trolling people who overuse Frederick). You'll probably want to restart using a +Def Avatar and feeding them all the kills, with a C Fred support you should have at least 20 Def by the time you fight upper Cht.3 (read: almost invincible), which is more than enough to get by.

I don't see people recommend Fred solos very often here, though, so I'm guessing you were digging in some old threads to find that bit of advice. Protip: Awakening's metagame moves very fast, and even a year ago was incredibly... Bad. It's best not to trust anything older than a month unless you can get someone to give you a really good explanation of why it works (actually, be wary even if it's fresh advice, especially if it comes from GameFAQs).

+Def isn't actually necessary, just so he knows. I've managed it with +Skill-Luck, I think because +Skill also boosts def's growth rate by a decent amount.

Lunatic. I can clear the bottom area easily, but the top is what's stuffing me up.

What? I was stuck on CH2 for a while, but the chapters have been a little easier since then. Except for CH5. The damn Wyverns. I just shuffled pair ups/items while holding the choke once you clear the bottom half. I went +str/-res if it matters. Remove your weapon if getting attacked twice will kill your tank(when your EP kills the enemy in front of you).

+Def isn't actually necessary, just so he knows. I've managed it with +Skill-Luck, I think because +Skill also boosts def's growth rate by a decent amount.

There's a difference between necessary and easy.

And for what it's worth: you should be able to kite out everything with Frederick, then have all your ranged guys bomb Hammerbro at once, then stomp on him with one Iron Sword swat. Problem is, you WILL need to DLC grind if you just wanna stuff Frederick all day long, which is... boring and defeats the point of playing Lunatic. I would definitely recommend restarting so you don't have to DLC grind up an actual team.

There's a difference between necessary and easy.

And for what it's worth: you should be able to kite out everything with Frederick, then have all your ranged guys bomb Hammerbro at once, then stomp on him with one Iron Sword swat. Problem is, you WILL need to DLC grind if you just wanna stuff Frederick all day long, which is... boring and defeats the point of playing Lunatic. I would definitely recommend restarting so you don't have to DLC grind up an actual team.

Yes, there's a difference between necessary and easy, just wanted to make sure nobody confused the two. I've gotten that experience before, where "hard challenge" + "Tier advice" =, to the reader's ears at least, "Do this or die". Just wanted to make sure nobody was thinking that way.

Edited by Alastor15243

Ah, damn. So I guess I'll have to restart... I really wanted to keep going on with this run because of the seed of trust, but I guess it'll be easier to just restart.

Are seeds of trust even useful? Don't they constitute like a tenth of a support level up?

Are seeds of trust even useful? Don't they constitute like a tenth of a support level up?

Eh, sort of. They give you +9 support points. They're not to useful, but I thought that on Lunatic at least, easier supports would help a lot.

Man that quote looks weird... how the hell did I do that.

Okay... I just beat chapter 3, and I have one question: Just where did the challenge go? I mean, I know people like calling 3 the hardest chap in the game, but the drop in difficulty is startling.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

Okay... I just beat chapter 3, and I have one question: Just where did the challenge go? I mean, I know people like calling 3 the hardest chap in the game, but the drop in difficulty is startling.

It drops briefly, then starts getting harder again later. It's still nightmarishly difficult at some spots.

Potentially very helpful. With clever management of support gains, it cuts a whole chapter off of building a C or B support of your choice, and that earlier support level can make a big difference in the earlygame.

Potentially very helpful. With clever management of support gains, it cuts a whole chapter off of building a C or B support of your choice, and that earlier support level can make a big difference in the earlygame.

To add to this, it's not the raw +9 points that's particularly useful, but the fact that there's a point gain cap per map of 27 when it comes to standard actions. The Seed's bonus bypasses this limit and is controllable, unlike the event tile bonus (which also bypasses it). That said, it's one of those things that's more of a nice little luxury than anything and definitely not worth trying to salvage a run over.

Also, just a heads-up: if you have something to add to a post, edit the previous post instead of double- or triple-posting.

In unrelated news: has anyone here done a Lunatic (vanilla) run with Avatar banned on maps where they aren't forced? Seems like fun to me, and I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.

No Avatar is one of the oldest self-imposed challenges. You can do it with Robin getting 0 exp all game (and ofc not using any Veteran children, etc that would bypass the restriction).

Edited by XeKr

No Avatar is one of the oldest self-imposed challenges. You can do it with Robin getting 0 exp all game (and ofc not using any Veteran children, etc that would bypass the restriction).

I'm asking for personal experience, not can it be done. I know it can be done on Lunatic--the jury's out on L+ as of yet.

I'm through Chapter 11 now! Took me long enough to figure out what Chapter 10 needed: creativity and not being greedy, like any other L+ chapter. Had to use Paralogue 3 to get the Blessed Bow, even though it wasn't particularly important for the exp. Sumia is 4 levels from Galeforce, and Avatar can tank all day as a Bow Knight. I promoted Chrom just now, as he reached lv 10. With Chrom B-rank, Avatar is starting to approach 100% AT. Got two Anna shops with Second Seals and one Hammerne. I had to sell things just to buy them and ended up with 4 gold, but now that I have the large Bullion from clearing Chapter 11 with Interceptor's method, I'm doing a lot better.

Should I bother training Chrom in lances? He isn't ever going to be a front liner, so having Javelins doesn't matter.