Best Pairings for Stats and Skill Inheritance

Jyosua

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he was joking though. Galeforce isn't the be-all and end-all for every unit.

You're probably gonna want tanks and healers, after all. And supportive partners. And whatever else might come up.

Not to belittle the double-Galeforce murder teams or anything, but even Laurent has his uses. Mostly staff-related, but hey, he's got 'em.

If a unit has Galeforce, good. If it's not, it's really not a big deal. It seems like many sets don't really need it. Heck, some really useful skill sets don't even require Galeforce, and it wouldn't make them better. Laurent is a prime example of this but even if you managed to get a Sorcerer Gerome or Yarne.

Alternatively maybe, would any of those fathers be good for Laurent if I were to give Ricken to Lissa instead of Miriel? Out of those choices, none sound particularly great. Might go with Freddy otherwise.

Another wall~!

Laurent: On his own, he gets Mage/Barbarian/Dark Mage. This has some amusing potential.

Frederick: See what I wrote for Owain regarding Aegis/Pavise? Throw Vengeance in there to cover that scenario where you're hit. You get some pretty sweet modifiers, too (Skill +4 is welcome if you plan on going Aegis/Pavise).

Virion: You get Bowbreaker/Tomebreaker on the same unit, which means that you can fly with confidence, OR you can do something silly like Quick Burn and Slow Burn at the same time. However, Virion passes on one of the worst modifiers (-3 Defense).

Vaike: You'll get Fighter and Thief lines, at the expense of 1 Def/Res. He'll be glassy, but I'm a sucker for stuff like Pass/Acrobat. This is the weakest one, IMO, unless you like utility.

Gregor: With +3 Magic, +4 Skill, and Mercenary/Myrmidon lines, I'd go Levin Sword Thing (shove Vengeance/Wrath on for extra giggles).

Again, not sure what you want out of him.

Owain with Ricken opens up hilarious crit builds (Focus/Wrath/Gamble/Luna/something funny).

Alright thanks for the info, will definitely help with my decisions.

Is there anyway to pair up everyone without running into an eventual wall of "now I gotta stick someone with a leftover" though, out of curiosity?

I, for one, would most definitely use them. Their semi-to-total-broken-ness would probably alleviate their inferior parents of their jobs.

Plus, who doesn't want to put Morgan and Lucina in their teams...? =P

Well, ya gotta admit, challenges aren't viable for support grinding with Risen like these out and about...

SkirmishatChapter8.png

(This is illegal you know)

...which practically leaves trying to support grind in the maingame or DLC.

Chrom and Female Avatar for Rightful King Morgan and giving Lucina the ability to reclass into every class save for the male exclusive ones.

I can support Tharja/Donnel because it allows Noire to learn Galeforce from the Dark Flier class.

Approved!

I'll have to do that.

It's nice to learn something new each day.

If we're doing silly things with Lucina, I prefer Sumia, because I can stack Rightful King/Aether/Pavise/Aegis/Galeforce, and giggle as I take halved damage while plowing through enemies.

I'm planning to have Sumia have her way if only I would use her child for DLC/Spotpass which I'm not going to.

-----

For any parent with a son of Chrom will get access to Rightful King. If CordeliaXDonnel is done, Severa will get access to Sol.

Edited by Katarina

If CordeliaXDonnel is done, Severa will get access to Sol.

Um... Severa gets access to Sol no matter who her father is. Especially since she starts off as a Merc, which she gets from her mom.

Edited by Little Al

Alright thanks for the info, will definitely help with my decisions.

Is there anyway to pair up everyone without running into an eventual wall of "now I gotta stick someone with a leftover" though, out of curiosity?

It depends on what you want out of your children. I think there's enough diversity where you can pull off what you need to without that, though.

Why not Lon'qu and Panne for a +7 spd Yarne, Vaike and Cherche for a +7 str Gerome, and Kellam and Nowi for a +7 def Nah?

The first two for class overlap (and because both give out negative Res modifiers), and the last one because it denies Nah access to Pegasus Knight (and Galeforce, AND a pretty substantial Speed hit).

It depends on what you want out of your children. I think there's enough diversity where you can pull off what you need to without that, though.

The first two for class overlap (and because both give out negative Res modifiers), and the last one because it denies Nah access to Pegasus Knight (and Galeforce, AND a pretty substantial Speed hit).

Nah is fairly slow, only reaching to 41 speed max with Dragonstone+ and Lon'qu as the father. I think Kellam as her father would work fine, since she won't be as fast as the other children and can capitalize her high defense.

Nah is fairly slow, only reaching to 41 speed max with Dragonstone+ and Lon'qu as the father. I think Kellam as her father would work fine, since she won't be as fast as the other children and can capitalize her high defense.

Or, I can get her out of her default and put her in something that has a better Speed cap. Wyrmslayers kind of ruin her day, and they're swords. Last thing I want is for her to be doubled by something fast with a sword.

Then give her Swordbreaker. Wyvern Lord is one of the classes Nowi passes to her, so she can get it regardless of her father.

Or, I can get her out of her default and put her in something that has a better Speed cap. Wyrmslayers kind of ruin her day, and they're swords. Last thing I want is for her to be doubled by something fast with a sword.

In other words, she won't be in her default class, which is a huge boost to her Speed.

Owain with Ricken opens up hilarious crit builds (Focus/Wrath/Gamble/Luna/something funny).

That'd be interesting facing off against in a StreetPass team, but if you're willing to put the time into it, wouldn't passing down Support Boost+ from Lissa be more suitable than Focus? If you're doing the harder DLC's where Supports are crucial for guaranteed success, having that options guarantees not only +10 Critical but also the other stat bonuses that one would get from Support Level 5 with a character paired up or adjacent with/to Owain. Plus having someone supported with him at the A or S rank would give him even greater gains, with +15 in Avoid, Critical, Hit, and Critical Avoid plus and additional +5 Hit if the partner is S-ranked. And if the unit whose supported with Owain is paired up as the Support Unit, then Owain would also benefit from the Pair Up stat increases from the other unit.

If I knew what Support boost did I'd probably pass it down but I'm not passing down a skill that gives +5 hit, dodge, crit, and avoid when I have other skills that do more and specifically say so too.

That'd be interesting facing off against in a StreetPass team, but if you're willing to put the time into it, wouldn't passing down Support Boost+ from Lissa be more suitable than Focus? If you're doing the harder DLC's where Supports are crucial for guaranteed success, having that options guarantees not only +10 Critical but also the other stat bonuses that one would get from Support Level 5 with a character paired up or adjacent with/to Owain. Plus having someone supported with him at the A or S rank would give him even greater gains, with +15 in Avoid, Critical, Hit, and Critical Avoid plus and additional +5 Hit if the partner is S-ranked. And if the unit whose supported with Owain is paired up as the Support Unit, then Owain would also benefit from the Pair Up stat increases from the other unit.

Eclipse mentioned Ricken as the father. Ricken lets Owain get Focus anyway since he'd have access to the Mage class, himself.

And Lissa can pass Galeforce which is a LOT better than Dual Support+, I imagine just about anyone would argue. If passing Dual Support+ to a male is of such interest to you though, I'd suggest doing it with Gerome, who can never get Galeforce, anyway, and can get Carrier. Carrier and Dual Support+ would at least hypothetically let him be a great support/transport unit to someone else. Although for my very first playthrough, I passed Dual Support+ to Owain because I knew I'd do a "best pairings" run later on when Aversa became available, and I have to say I find it REALLY underwhelming.

If I knew what Support boost did I'd probably pass it down but I'm not passing down a skill that gives +5 hit, dodge, crit, and avoid when I have other skills that do more and specifically say so too.

No, it would give +15 Hit, +10 Avoid, +10 Dodge, and +10 Critical Avoid, which is much better than +5 for the same stats. Specifically, it raises the Support Level of two adjacent or paired units by 4, with a default (meaning no Support Rank) Support Level equating to 1, which gives the inital +10 Hit. The 2-4 levels give the +10 to each of Avoid, Critical Avoid, and Critical (in that order, unless Avoid and Critical Avoid are swapped), and with each additional Support Level giving an increase to those areas in intervals of +5 with a Support Level cap at 12, meaning the maximum Support Level boost possible is +20 across all 4 of those areas. How'd you figure +5? xD

Eclipse mentioned Ricken as the father. Ricken lets Owain get Focus anyway since he'd have access to the Mage class, himself.

And Lissa can pass Galeforce which is a LOT better than Dual Support+, I imagine just about anyone would argue. If passing Dual Support+ to a male is of such interest to you though, I'd suggest doing it with Gerome, who can never get Galeforce, anyway, and can get Carrier. Carrier and Dual Support+ would at least hypothetically let him be a great support/transport unit to someone else. Although for my very first playthrough, I passed Dual Support+ to Owain because I knew I'd do a "best pairings" run later on when Aversa became available, and I have to say I find it REALLY underwhelming.

To be honest I'm not a big fan of Galeforce, I might get it for a few units and maybe 1 or 2 child units but it's definitely not gonna be my go-to skill. I was only mentioning that as a means of raising criticals, not for finalizing the class, since he didn't specify throwing Galeforce in there (unless "something funny" inexplicably refers to Galeforce, in which case I'm mistaken).

And that might not be a bad idea, right now Gerome is probably going to be the child of one of my leftover pairings but having a mobile support unit doesn't hurt.

Edited by Goblinaro

If you're going to have a support at all, chances are they're already going to be A ranked. That means the support skill only gives +5 to each stat.

Hmm.....that's true. I wasn't thinking about having them already supported. xD

But in that case, his Critical would still be higher otherwise with Focus, and on top of that he would also have boosts to Avoid, Crit Avoid and Hit which he wouldn't get otherwise with Focus since Focus has no effect with an ally within 3 tiles of Owain. Having Focus would guarantee a +10 to Critical regardless of his range, but since Pairing is more useful to begin with, I don't see why you wouldn't want to replace Focus with Support Boost+ for Eclipse's build unless you either plan on passing down Galeforce, using this unit for a StreetPass team, or both.

Edited by Goblinaro

Hmm.....that's true. I wasn't thinking about having them already supported. xD

But in that case, his Critical would still be higher otherwise with Focus, and on top of that he would also have boosts to Avoid, Crit Avoid and Hit which he wouldn't get otherwise with Focus since Focus has no effect with an ally within 3 tiles of Owain. Having Focus would guarantee a +10 to Critical regardless of his range, but since Pairing is more useful to begin with, I don't see why you wouldn't want to replace Focus with Support Boost+ for Eclipse's build unless you either plan on passing down Galeforce, using this unit for a StreetPass team, or both.

Focus doesn't count the unit you're paired up with, actually. If they're next to you, yes, but not if you're sharing the same tile.

Test out the above theory with Relief (peg knt lv10 skill). Heals 20% if no units are within 3 squares. If you are paired up, technically that isn't counted as another unit, so it applied, just like Focus would apply with no same-team units within 3 squares.

For lunatic mode and/or street pass which would be the optimal way to go? Maximizing potential stats or getting skills ie galeforce on many characters? Currently been grinding out all my parent characters and have only Chrom x Olivia married. I've been looking at the DLC such as "The Strongest One's Name" and wondering which path would be the most optimal to completing it. At the moment for stats I've been looking at doing some weird ones such as Lon'qu with Panne to get a Taguel with Beaststone+ with some great stats, Nowi with Kellam to get some crazy defense (and also to pass it down to Morgan), and other ones shown below.

Stats-1.jpg

Or you just... I dunno, passed it down through Nowi?

Or I can reclass her into it, so her Speed's a bit more tolerable (not to mention the innate advantages of flying and weapon triangle and all that).

(quote with huge pic)

First, plan your team. What characteristics do you want? What is everyone's purpose in life? Build from there.

(oh, and swap Fred as a father out for Stahl, unless you're dead-set on Owain having Aegis/Pavise - Stahl doesn't give negative modifiers to Lissa)