Dismounting. Yay or Nay

Jedi

Thoughts on Dismount  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Dismounting?

• I enjoyed it
    • I'm indifferent to it
    • Did not enjoy
    • Other (Make clear the view in your post)
  2. 2. Would you like for it to return in a future FE?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Problem with FE5 is tht you have no Lance users as the end of the game (EXcept Xavier and his awesome E Rank, This may become a D, if you train him a lot....)

Some units aren't just cripled, they become absolutely useless. (Dean and Eda come to mind...) That is fake difficulty if anything.

I'd rather have a bigger stats drop (like -5 Speed drop for Axe Knights, and -4 Skill, -3 Speed Drop for Lance Knights), than have an useless weapon range to raise, especially when you know how much a pain it wasto raise it in FE5.

That being said, Fe5 terrains gave you reasons to dismount in several occasion (Chapter 7, when I had to dismount Finn to pass a mountain cometo mind...)

Dismounting is an interresting concept, for all the reasons previously explained, but it was never implemented that way...

More terrains where you have reasons to uses it. In order to have a reason to use this fonction, makes a terrain wuth lots of ballista, and/or Wind Mages...)

Edited by TendaSlime

The Problem with FE5 is tht you have no Lance users as the end of the game (EXcept Xavier and his awesome E Rank, This may become a D, if you train him a lot....)

Some units aren't just cripled, they become absolutely useless. (Dean and Eda come to mind...) That is fake difficulty if anything.

Dismounting is an interresting concept, for all the reasons previously explained, but it was never implemented that way...

Dean has an A Sword rank. He is far from useless dismounted.

Besides, with fatigue thrown in the mix of fe5 it works your foot units aren't going to be getting as much of a work out before they are needed to do said indoor chapters

But is it the differentiation that makes mounted units "special", like I said?

no. i'm confused by what you're saying. in outdoor maps, mounted units are "special" because they have higher move and canto. in indoor maps, infantry units are "special" because they have higher move, generally higher stats, and generally better weapon ranks or selection. there is plenty of differentiation, and there is potential for even more.

so i'm not sure what you're complaining about.

I don't see why dismounted units should recieve crippling stat reductions. High Movement is their biggest draw and taking that away in inoddors chapters is more than enough. At most, a -2 in speed but nothing more than that is necessary.

I have to agree with dondon in particular that mounted units are just overpowered in general. A lot of the time they end up functionally the same as their infantry counterparts, but with way move movement and sometimes even canto lol. Every now and then, there appears to be an infantry unit with a seemingly meaningful lead relative to the mounts, but it just ends up being overkill. Generals end up with overkill defense and Swordmasters' high speed just helps their defenses/gives them a niche role as bosskillers. (You can bet in a low turn count run that swordmaster will be either warped or ferried by a mounted unit too.)

Ever since FE1, there have been at least a few very good mounted units in every game. Some are more gamebreaking than others, but it would be nice if some others got a bit more of the spotlight over them. Dismounting is a great solution to this, giving infantry an advantage in indoor maps, like they should have. This is one of the reasons why FE5 was not dominated by mounted units like almost all of the other games are. FE3 and 10 don't close the gap quite as close, but at least it was close to even indoors instead of a blowout in every map.

I've seen the ideas of dismounting penalties and bonuses come up a few times in this topic. Why not a little of both? In the FE4 Binary patch, Sigurd could dismount for a good skill and speed bonus in exchange for a little attack and defense. This gave the feature a bit of niche use and gave me kind of a cool mental image of Sigurd dismounting from his horse to fight a difficult bonus. The important thing is to not make the bonuses so good that mounted units beat infantry units on horse AND foot. >>

Edited by SRC

I've seen the ideas of dismounting penalties and bonuses come up a few times in this topic. Why not a little of both? In the FE4 Binary patch, Sigurd could dismount for a good skill and speed bonus in exchange for a little attack and defense.

from a realism standpoint, this also makes sense. an infantry unit doesn't have the power behind a cavalry charge (thus losing str) but is more agile (gaining skl and spd).

how about buyable horses like berwick saga

Pretty much no one would consider that because it's so different from FE, sadly.

Though it would be intriguing for flying units. The only one in Berwick didn't have to buy her own dragon I think, but I'd assume a system like that in FE would have flyers at a much higher price.

Meanwhile horseslayers killed the beasts outright in a single hit.

Edited by Doga Blockovich

you know what i disliked the most about FE5 dismounting?

the fact that you can't mount or dismount in the preparations screen. if you used a mounted unit in an indoor map, he starts the next outdoor map dismounted.

I'm going to vote 'nay'. One of the primary points to a game like this is planning your team out in advance. Imagine if you planned it out and it was mostly mounted units then a sudden indoor map came out of nowhere?

I *would* like to see terrain matter more as well as some better restrictions on mounted units. I do not believe that this is it.

you know what i disliked the most about FE5 dismounting?

the fact that you can't mount or dismount in the preparations screen. if you used a mounted unit in an indoor map, he starts the next outdoor map dismounted.

FE3 had all mounts start out mounted in outdoor chapters and dismounted in indoor chapters.

So I don't know what the fuck IS was thinking when they developed FE5.

One of the primary points to a game like this is planning your team out in advance.

no

Edited by Refa

Imagine if you planned it out and it was mostly mounted units then a sudden indoor map came out of nowhere?

what great logic

with enough prior knowledge of the game to plan out what units you're going to use, you can't figure out where the indoor maps are

or god forbid, you built a team of infantry and suddenly an outdoor map comes out of nowhere. you're fucked.

I can plan on using certain units and still fight.

I can cope with losing movement as it doesn't actually affect combat. May make a desert a slog-fest but I can still do it.

But possibly ending up with a team that's now too frail/weak to fight is, at the least, an unexpected difficulty spike.

I thought dismounting was pretty cool in FE5, even if it impacted various units to different extents. You've got people like Felgus who gives no fucks alongside people who do not want to lose their class weapons for swords. With the proper changes to how it works, I think it would be a great feature to bring back.

I'm going to vote 'nay'. One of the primary points to a game like this is planning your team out in advance. Imagine if you planned it out and it was mostly mounted units then a sudden indoor map came out of nowhere?

I *would* like to see terrain matter more as well as some better restrictions on mounted units. I do not believe that this is it.

If one of the points is to plan your team in advance (which, while this can be done, certainly isn't a primary point), why wouldn't you plan a team that can handle indoor and outdoor maps? It's like you're saying "what if you plan poorly?" …Don't?

I can plan on using certain units and still fight.

I can cope with losing movement as it doesn't actually affect combat. May make a desert a slog-fest but I can still do it.

But possibly ending up with a team that's now too frail/weak to fight is, at the least, an unexpected difficulty spike.

@bolded: yes you can. This applies to mounted units just as much as infantry units. Dismounted units can fight.

Have you even played the games featuring dismounting? Because it doesn't create some huge difficulty spike. Even one of the most heavily punished units for dismounting, Dean, kicks a lot of ass whether he's on a wyvern or on foot. The stat drop doesn't suddenly make all of your units useless.

Edited by Sublime Manic

FE3 had all mounts start out mounted in outdoor chapters and dismounted in indoor chapters.

So I don't know what the fuck IS was thinking when they developed FE5.

Let's make the player our little bitch.

I suppose it did for some time.

Let's make the player our little bitch.

I suppose it did for some time.

It allowed for funny stuff like FIRE SWORD FINN

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If only our horses/pegasi were invincible, sure.

I've never played FE5.

I don't know what it's like.

But it'd certainly be interesting. I'd want to make anyone be able to ride it, but the mount still belongs to the certain unit.

I've never played FE5.

But it'd certainly be interesting. I'd want to make anyone be able to ride it, but the mount still belongs to the certain unit.

Basically the mount vanished into hammer space, the unit was then on foot and could only use swords.

I've never played FE5.

Basically, it wasn't the nerf IS wanted. The only units it nerfed were Lance and Axe only using mounted units who were forced to switch to swords. Sword Knights and Paladins were barely touched, the former even only loses movement stats.

My main issue with dismounting was with weapon ranks, since I found it weird that say Brighton couldn't use axes anymore when he's on foot even though he's trained enough with them to use them as an effective weapon on horseback.

Otherwise than that it wasn't that bad of a mechanic since it at least encouraged you to gave your foot units some attention for the occasional indoor stage.

If they manage to balance it so that dismounting is more than just crippling the unit in question statwise just so that he/she can fight on foot then I'd welcome it with open arms.