SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

There are 45 (mostly) unique characters in the game, so surely there's someone else out there you can feel comfortable with. What about Robin? I remember you were excited for her, how does she feel? Also, never just use a character once or twice and give up on them, it might take a few tries and some experimenting to really get the hang of someone's style. Have you played through Classic/All-Star with everyone? That's at least a good way to start, if only to find out what moves do and which ones are KO moves.

Luigi and Ike are so different in style that I don't think there's anyone I can really suggest you try, but if anything, that's good, because it means you shouldn't be limited to only a certain type. Maybe Shulk will work for you as a new sword user? Even if you can't master switching between all 5 modes (at least right away), surely one of them will work for you.

There is always the custom Ike you could make and better him! :D

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, guys, as much as it pains the hell out of me to do this, I'm dropping Ike. Yes, you heard me. Anacybele, uber Ike fangirl, is dropping him as a main. I just can't grasp how he plays now. He's fucking terrible thanks to whatever idiot people Sakurai hired to balance the game.

Luigi is my only main now, as a result, and I dislike this. I just don't enjoy playing anyone else as much. I love how he plays now. I just wish Ike had gotten that treatment instead of getting stupidly nerfed.

I'd still like to main more than just Luigi, but at this point, I have no idea who else to use.

Fox. Duck Hunt. Robin. Bowser. Greninja. Those are some characters I enjoy using and would recommend. I don't know if it will help you at all, but hopefully it will, if you decide to try any of them.

There are 45 (mostly) unique characters in the game, so surely there's someone else out there you can feel comfortable with. What about Robin? I remember you were excited for her, how does she feel? Also, never just use a character once or twice and give up on them, it might take a few tries and some experimenting to really get the hang of someone's style. Have you played through Classic/All-Star with everyone? That's at least a good way to start, if only to find out what moves do and which ones are KO moves.

Luigi and Ike are so different in style that I don't think there's anyone I can really suggest you try, but if anything, that's good, because it means you shouldn't be limited to only a certain type. Maybe Shulk will work for you as a new sword user? Even if you can't master switching between all 5 modes (at least right away), surely one of them will work for you.

Robin is bad too, imo. Too slow and too weak, if you ask me. Also, I played the male, not the female. Anyway, I find that Arcfire was his only good move. The thunders charge too slowly, Nosferatu is near impossible to land, and Elwind is only useful as a recovery move. I don't like how he plays either.

It's a shame, I was so excited for both him and Ike, only to be disappointed greatly. I'm in tears because I had to drop a character I'd been through so much with. Between Ike's own games and a fuck ton of Brawl, I was playing with him for years. I didn't want to stop using him in anything he was playable in. Although, I admit that it would've been worse if Luigi was the one I was dropping. I'd been gaming with him since I practically first started playing games way back in the nineties. Ike, I only knew well for five years. But it still hurts a lot...

Yes, I played through Classic with everyone and I've done All-Star with a vast majority of the cast. There's nobody I enjoy as much as Luigi. Sure, some characters were kind of fun, but not so fun that I want to main them. Thank you, but it's just no use...

There is always the custom Ike you could make and better him! :D

Uh, you think I HAVEN'T been experimenting with his custom moves? They do help him some, but not enough.

Fox. Duck Hunt. Robin. Bowser. Greninja. Those are some characters I enjoy using and would recommend. I don't know if it will help you at all, but hopefully it will, if you decide to try any of them.

Didn't enjoy Fox much. Duck Hunt Dog is currently a secondary and I just don't feel like making him a main. I just talked about Robin. Just not interested in Bowser. He was meh to play as. Greninja is one of my least favorite Pokemon. No thanks.

Edited by Anacybele

Honestly, I care more about playing as who I like rather than being good at the game or doing competitions. Like … I don't care if I'd hypothetically play better with a character I didn't care for such as … Bowser Jr. or Sheik or something. All I really care about is doing stuff in the game as Shulk and Robin, regardless of how good or not good I am at them. I go into For Glory and get my ass handed to me as Shulk quite a bit, but I don't really care because I'm using Shulk in Smash Bros.

Well, I'm different from you then. I mean, I do care about more than just being good at the game, but I'm not having any fun when I constantly get owned hard because Ike is so terrible. I notice I do way better with Luigi overall and I have more fun as a result.

So, guys, as much as it pains the hell out of me to do this, I'm dropping Ike. Yes, you heard me. Anacybele, uber Ike fangirl, is dropping him as a main. I just can't grasp how he plays now. He's fucking terrible thanks to whatever idiot people Sakurai hired to balance the game.

Luigi is my only main now, as a result, and I dislike this. I just don't enjoy playing anyone else as much. I love how he plays now. I just wish Ike had gotten that treatment instead of getting stupidly nerfed.

I'd still like to main more than just Luigi, but at this point, I have no idea who else to use.

I may have to have another match with you to really get a better idea of your playstyle, but i feel like Robin or Shulk could work for you. Robin moreso. Shulk requires a lot of attention to his modes, but he kinda feels like a faster Ike sometimes. (mostly cuz Monado range is huge. Ragnell range was large too but not as much.) Plus Shulk has a good counter. Its a little slow though...

Robin's like a Swiss Army Knife. So many different things to choose from.

Robin is bad too, imo. Too slow and too weak, if you ask me.

tumblr_ndg54xiS041ra8x1ao8_500.gif

Aerial Smash attacks.

You could try Marth. Marth really isnt that bad in this game. (sucks is neutral A is so slow now. :(: ) And hes good when you put some distance between yourself and the opponent. Dat tipper...

Yo, i didnt plan on maining Yoshi. The Yoshi chose me. You need to find your groove. Im not sure why you think you are really awful at this game.

Florina, again, I JUST TALKED ABOUT ROBIN. THE ANSWER ON HIM IS NO. Geez...

Shulk is too complicated to me with his different modes. I'm not fond of them.

I used to play a lot of Marth. But he was never a main and never will be. Not only is he kind of eh, but I never could get the hang of Dancing Blade either.

Also, don't tell me to "try" someone, because I've tried everyone. Like I said, it's entirely no use.

Robin is bad too, imo. Too slow and too weak, if you ask me. Also, I played the male, not the female. Anyway, I find that Arcfire was his only good move. The thunders charge too slowly, Nosferatu is near impossible to land, and Elwind is only useful as a recovery move. I don't like how he plays either.

The female is better, didn't you know?

Well...

1. Charge Thunder in increments by rolling out of it when necessary. I've landed plenty of Thorons, often multiple in a single match. I wouldn't call it slow at all.

2. Nosferatu has to be used with careful timing, such as when your opponent is landing from a recovery, and its not even worth trying if you're at low or 0%. I've landed it a decent amount of times, but by no means will you use it often, or even in every match.

3. Elwind definitely has use beyond recovery, you just have to use it carefully. How many characters have a move that attacks downward while sending them upward? You can catch opponents by surprise with it, and as long as it hits, you should be able to recover before they have a chance to punish.

Yes, I played through Classic with everyone and I've done All-Star with a vast majority of the cast. There's nobody I enjoy as much as Luigi. Sure, some characters were kind of fun, but not so fun that I want to main them. Thank you, but it's just no use...

Take one of those characters who were kind of fun and try them out more. If you hold them all up to the same bar as Luigi, you're never going to feel good with anyone else. Just play with someone, see what works and what doesn't, and eventually you'll surely find someone good for you. As an example, I'm already maining Rosalina & Luma despite that I wasn't even sure I would sub-main them before playing because I liked the feel from the first few times and tried them out some more before I came to eventually start winning with them even more than my previous mains of Zelda and Zero Suit Samus.

You don't actually need to use Shulk's modes to be competent with him. I actually don't use Shulk's Monado arts special very often unless I feel like goofing around.

The female is better, didn't you know?

Well...

1. Charge Thunder in increments by rolling out of it when necessary. I've landed plenty of Thorons, often multiple in a single match. I wouldn't call it slow at all.

2. Nosferatu has to be used with careful timing, such as when your opponent is landing from a recovery, and its not even worth trying if you're at low or 0%. I've landed it a decent amount of times, but by no means will you use it often, or even in every match.

3. Elwind definitely has use beyond recovery, you just have to use it carefully. How many characters have a move that attacks downward while sending them upward? You can catch opponents by surprise with it, and as long as it hits, you should be able to recover before they have a chance to punish.

Take one of those characters who were kind of fun and try them out more. If you hold them all up to the same bar as Luigi, you're never going to feel good with anyone else. Just play with someone, see what works and what doesn't, and eventually you'll surely find someone good for you. As an example, I'm already maining Rosalina & Luma despite that I wasn't even sure I would sub-main them before playing because I liked the feel from the first few times and tried them out some more before I came to eventually start winning with them even more than my previous mains of Zelda and Zero Suit Samus.

I don't like the female's alts or voice as much as I like the male's.

1. I do, but I only find that I have to recharge it every single time.

2. It's still really hard to land.

3. It's still weak and leaves Robin in a helpless state afterward. It also has a tiny hitbox. It misses constantly. Speaking of which, I find Robin has tiny hitboxes in general. I saw a gif showing Robin right next to Lucina, but the attack he used wouldn't land. And Lucina wasn't moving at all.

I just don't feel like trying anyone else as much. I just don't. I'm sorry.

You don't actually need to use Shulk's modes to be competent with him. I actually don't use Shulk's Monado arts special very often unless I feel like goofing around.

Then I'm out a standard B move, which I don't like.

Edited by Anacybele

Florina, again, I JUST TALKED ABOUT ROBIN. THE ANSWER ON HIM IS NO. Geez...

I used to play a lot of Marth. But he was never a main and never will be. Not only is he kind of eh, but I never could get the hang of Dancing Blade either.

Also, don't tell me to "try" someone, because I've tried everyone. Like I said, it's entirely no use.

For fucks sake, read the time stamps. You literally posted AT THE SAME TIME AS ME. So stop it.

You know, you are doing this to yourself. The only way you can improve is to adapt your playstyle to how this game flows. If you arent willing to do that, you will forever not be good at this game. Its not the fault of the characters and them being "nerfed" or whatever.

This is perfect. More people need to play like this.

And I guess I could say the same for me with RosaLuma.

Dude, Yoshi is gr9. I cant get over how amazing he is with my playstyle these days. RosaLuma is hard mode cuz puppeteering Luma. In FG, its hard for me to pull off some strats with them cuz i use Luma Warp so much lel.

Marth is starting to choose me too. When i want a Counter Character, he seems to work pretty well.

I think part of the problem is that you neglect every single character.

Instead of looking at the positive side, you look at the negatives. Try to work around it! You'll never get another main if you push everyone away like that!

Because you don't like someone (Greninja)? I hate Mario, gave him a shot, he's pretty good! If you never even give effort into a character simply because they're not your style, or you don't like them, you'll never find someone besides Luigi!

1. I do, but I only find that I have to recharge it every single time.

2. It's still really hard to land.

3. It's still weak and leaves Robin in a helpless state afterward. It also has a tiny hitbox. It misses constantly. Speaking of which, I find Robin has tiny hitboxes in general. I saw a gif showing Robin right next to Lucina, but the attack he used wouldn't land. And Lucina wasn't moving at all.

1. If you get hit, you lose your charge. Be aware of that.

2. Well, duh. If a move that traps your opponent, heals you, and damages them was easy to land, it would be hella broken.

3. It shoots twice. As long as you're directly above, it should hit. If it misses, well, that's why you need to be careful with it.

I just don't feel like trying anyone else as much. I just don't. I'm sorry.

Well, you're the only one who can change your attitude about it. If you look at it negatively, nothing will work, no matter how much advice you get. If you want to find another main, the first step is going to be looking.

EDIT: Look at how Carter and I gave such similar advice at the same time.

I mained Zelda for two games and was out a down B move (and practically still am, since the phantom sucks). It's really not a big deal. Edited by Red Fox of Fire

For fucks sake, read the time stamps. You literally posted AT THE SAME TIME AS ME. So stop it.

You know, you are doing this to yourself. The only way you can improve is to adapt your playstyle to how this game flows. If you arent willing to do that, you will forever not be good at this game. Its not the fault of the characters and them being "nerfed" or whatever.

Actually, I talked about Robin seven minutes before you posted. So no, we didn't post at the same time.

Oh, now you're just going to say it's my fault that this is a game I can't adapt well to. Nice. But I guess I will never be good at it then.

Instead of looking at the positive side, you look at the negatives. Try to work around it! You'll never get another main if you push everyone away like that!

Because you don't like someone (Greninja)? I hate Mario, gave him a shot, he's pretty good! If you never even give effort into a character simply because they're not your style, or you don't like them, you'll never find someone besides Luigi!

This is incorrect too. I previously used Marth even though I never liked him. I liked how he played. I still do, but not enough to make him a main. And I used him a lot. This means I like Lucina's moves too even though I dislike her even more. I just thought Robin would be even more fun to play and I actually like him as a character.

And I've given EVERYONE a shot even though I hate a few characters.

I'm the type of person who tends to forget that the B moves even exist, outside of the third jump, so shrug. If someone wants to learn Shulk and is dedicated to learning his Monado stances, that person will be able to use, memorize, and choose stances without missing a beat if they give him some practice.

Personally, I'm not too fussed about "losing" a B move, but my point is that not having an easy-to-move B special doesn't HURT Shulk. A player who can use the Monado arts well will benefit from it. But a player who doesn't know how to use the stances well won't be penalized for not knowing it. If you don't want to take the effort to learn Shulk, that's one thing, but not everyone is going to be pick-up-and-go. It took me quite some time to understand how to scroll through Monado arts with Shulk and I didn't learn until recently how to cancel stances. I also sucked at Robin first, but I kept at them and now I'm decent.

Edited by Sunwoo

Exactly.

Zero Suit Samus has improved since the last game since in Brawl she couldn't dish out knockouts as she could in this game! She is now close to being on of my mains as she is so broken and so easy to use. Annnyway...there is always someone out there that will be good for you since every single character's mechnics works out in an entirely different manner. Well...even clones are different than one another in terms of statistics.

another problem is that you're pushing away others help. Some of us are actually trying to help you but you're talking like a smartass and that's kinda hard to ignore

If you were already familiar with Marth, just keep going!

I never knew how to work dancing blade either, but I eventually got it, so you could too! I think Marth could easily be one of your new mains if you keep at him!

Just mess around with some a bit more. I'm not going to suggest you "try" someone, as you've claimed you did. WFT feels amazing after playing with her a bit.

I'm the type of person who tends to forget that the B moves even exist, outside of the third jump, so shrug. If someone wants to learn Shulk and is dedicated to learning his Monado stances, that person will be able to use memorize and choose stances without missing a beat if they give him some practice.

Personally, I'm not too fussed about "losing" a B move, but my point is that not having an easy-to-move B special doesn't HURT Shulk. A player who can use the Monado arts well will benefit from it. But a player who doesn't know how to use the stances well won't be penalized for not knowing it. If you don't want to take the effort to learn Shulk, that's one thing, but not everyone is going to be pick-up-and-go. It took me quite some time to understand how to scroll through Monado arts with Shulk and I didn't learn until recently how to cancel stances. I also sucked at Robin first, but I kept at them and now I'm decent.

Oh, I know very well that not everyone is pick up and go. It took me some time to learn Ike in Brawl because he required good timing skills to land those slow moves and such. It's just that he also had a bunch of tricks that made doing this easier, and he can't do a lot of these things now.

Exactly.

Zero Suit Samus has improved since the last game since in Brawl she couldn't dish out knockouts as she could in this game! She is now close to being on of my mains as she is so broken and so easy to use. Annnyway...there is always someone out there that will be good for you since every single character's mechnics works out in an entirely different manner. Well...even clones are different than one another in terms of statistics.

I've been complaining that ZSS is too broken in this game. I don't want to use a character that I think will be banned in tournaments. Plus, I don't find her that fun to use.

EDIT: People are posting too fast. I can't keep up. -_-

Edited by Anacybele

another problem is that you're pushing away others help. Some of us are actually trying to help you but you're talking like a smartass and that's kinda hard to ignore

If you were already familiar with Marth, just keep going!

I never knew how to work dancing blade either, but I eventually got it, so you could too! I think Marth could easily be one of your new mains if you keep at him!

Just mess around with some a bit more. I'm not going to suggest you "try" someone, as you've claimed you did. WFT feels amazing after playing with her a bit.

I suggest Lucina. She's easier to main than Marth for her better speed. But...trading Ike's gameplay for Ganon's is...>.<

Actually, I talked about Robin seven minutes before you posted. So no, we didn't post at the same time.

Oh, now you're just going to say it's my fault that this is a game I can't adapt well to. Nice. But I guess I will never be good at it then.

Yeah we did post at the same time. I was fetching a gif, quoting you, and typing shit along with skype chat in that seven minutes.

Why are you such a child? Throwing a temper tantrum because you cant get Ike's flow and people going "hey try this guy". Why do you do that? Why?

I'm the type of person who tends to forget that the B moves even exist, outside of the third jump, so shrug. If someone wants to learn Shulk and is dedicated to learning his Monado stances, that person will be able to use, memorize, and choose stances without missing a beat if they give him some practice.

I discovered Shulk's cancel for modes and marveled. But it kinda leaves him open for a bit and that can be dangerous in a heated match. I need to get faster at shuffling the modes.

Uh, Lucina and Marth have the same speed. And I'm certainly not touching her. I already said that I could never have Marth be anything more than a secondary. I used him more than anyone except Ike and Luigi too.