SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

But Fire Emblem isn't generally that popular in the west anyways, when they're going to decide FE characters, they're going to look at Japanese opinions. (fun fact, FE is more popular than Metroid in Japan.)

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pac-Man, when was his last game?

2012 with: Pac-Man Games and Pac-Man connect and play.

Plus this guy is one of the most recognizable video game characters of all time, has a very deep Nintendo history going back to the 90s and the guys who made them are helping with the game.

It really makes a lot of sense even though it's not Bomberman or Lloyd.

Something I've noticed about the stages that have been shown, they're all around the same size and they don't seem to have stage hazards, just different themes and platform arrangements.

Well, there was that 3DS Mario level with the spike pillars and breakable platforms. Just saying.

@ Randoman

This obviously isn't all of the newcomers. Only 6 of an expected 10-15. We'll still probably see some older characters in these remaining slots.

Sakurai said SSB4 wouldn't be as newcomer heavy as Melee (13 newcomers) or Brawl (15 Newcomers), so I thought that was all the characters. Well, it definitely can't be 13 or more newcomers, unless Sakurai changed his mind. I also thought that was all the characters since all Playstation All Stars characters were leaked by that guy, so I thought that was the same case for SSB4.

Pac-Man, when was his last game?

Pac Man Party (2010 for Wii, 2011-2012 for 3DS). There's also an upcoming 3D Platforming Pac Man game for Wii U and 3DS, so it's not like he's dead or on hiatus.

Pac Man Party (2010 for Wii, 2011-2012 for 3DS). There's also an upcoming 3D Platforming Pac Man game for Wii U and 3DS, so it's not like he's dead or on hiatus.

They're actually making a new platforming Pac-Man? It's been like so many years since World 3, I loved that game.

I wonder if that's it for 3rd party characters, probably. I'll estimate around 10 newcomers at least, if they're releasing 6 soon, then the actual game must have quite a few, despite what Sakurai said. "If"

I think people should read articles again more clearly. From all the articles I read, I don't think Sakurai ever directly said there would be less newcomers. He just says that adding more characters isn't enough to justify a game, and he wants to focus more on balancing the game. Translation, and the way people say stuff can be ambiguous.

Also, there's the fact that Sakurai stated before that adding an Animal Crossing character would remove AC from it's non-violent nature, and yet, we got the villager.

Plus he made Villager look absolutely demonic when he showed up, what with that extreme closeup and the sparkle in his eye.

Sakurai: "there are lots of popular games with characters that just aren’t meant for fighting and were too hard to incorporate into the Smash Bros. title. Heading the list of these characters are the ones from the games we just mentioned, Nintendogs and Animal Crossing.

Sakurai can totally change his mind on things.

Plus we don't know yet what it means to be retro? Is he talking about characters from the 80s who haven't been seen since? or is he talking about characters who may be more current, but giving them moves and designs that are from their past?

Plus he made Villager look absolutely demonic when he showed up, what with that extreme closeup and the sparkle in his eye.

tumblr_mo8v8rDUfH1r6weqao1_500.png

tumblr_mo8v8rDUfH1r6weqao2_500.png

.....oh shit....

Anyway, think villagers alternate designs will be the different faces and clothes from the series?

Villager will look down at your pathetic corpse from the top tier and smile.

Edited by Happy_Dingo

Ike's not as popular in Japan as he is in the west. D: I'd be surprised if Ike was still around.

Yet Awakening catered to Ike more than other lords barring Marth by giving him a descendant and a paralogue named after him. And his DLC map was the last and hardest of series 1. He's also described as the greatest hero of them all in the folklore in the game. Ike's got significance enough and the popularity to stay.

On another topic, I got an idea for another stage! A new one for Luigi. It's Treacherous Mansion from Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon! It would be so awesome! Think about it, it could work like Castle Siege by switching to all the different rooms: the plant room, sandy room, icey room, etc. Would be sweet!

Edited by Anacybele

Gonna main the crap out of Villager and Peach.

Yes!

Well, replace Villager with Pikachu.

SSB4 Mario looks buffed.

I definitely agree. He looks more powerful and a bit quicker. Assuming Megaman is around Mario's weight, he killed him quite easily with a non charged smash attack.

I think they turned up the hitstun a bit. It looks like it's more than brawl's, but less than melee's. The game appears to have taken a middle ground between the two, which isn't surprising.

Edited by Pikachu

They're actually making a new platforming Pac-Man? It's been like so many years since World 3, I loved that game.

I wonder if that's it for 3rd party characters, probably. I'll estimate around 10 newcomers at least, if they're releasing 6 soon, then the actual game must have quite a few, despite what Sakurai said. "If"

Yep:

Yeah, that trailer might be detracting from the topic, but since people think "What can Pac-Man possibly do in Smash Bros?" I wanted to answer that with the trailer as well. I think they'd be sticking with Pac-Man's Arcade and NES Artwork appearance if they are putting him in (which I personally don't mind. He is Namco's mascot and he's supported Nintendo with a lot of games over the decades).

I'd say 2 or 3 3rd Parties if they're not keeping Snake and Sonic, and only 2 if they are (though I'd rather they not turn guest characters into staples to the series. I mean, they don't have Yoda or Link as reoccurring Soul Calibur characters).

I think people should read articles again more clearly. From all the articles I read, I don't think Sakurai ever directly said there would be less newcomers. He just says that adding more characters isn't enough to justify a game, and he wants to focus more on balancing the game. Translation, and the way people say stuff can be ambiguous.

Also, there's the fact that Sakurai stated before that adding an Animal Crossing character would remove AC from it's non-violent nature, and yet, we got the villager.

Sakurai: "there are lots of popular games with characters that just aren’t meant for fighting and were too hard to incorporate into the Smash Bros. title. Heading the list of these characters are the ones from the games we just mentioned, Nintendogs and Animal Crossing.

Sakurai can totally change his mind on things.

Hmm... it's very true that he never explicitly said there'll be less newcomers in SSB4. Though Sakurai did say that they pretty much reached the character limit in Brawl, so unless they're going cut heavy, I still don't think we're getting many newcomers. He did change his mind about Animal Crossing not being suited for a playable character, so he might change his mind about Brawl reaching the character limit.

Plus we don't know yet what it means to be retro? Is he talking about characters from the 80s who haven't been seen since? or is he talking about characters who may be more current, but giving them moves and designs that are from their past?

I'm pretty sure he means the former, since he was talking about reviving old Nintendo characters like Pit and Ice Climbers in Smash Bros. in the Kid Icarus Uprising interview.

Melee's stun was already a "middle ground" between those of Brawl and 64, in which there were blockstun infinites

Yes, blockstun infinites, without even the shine

I just hope jumping at somebody doesn't half-guarantee getting shield grabbed or generally open one up to counterattack as much as it can in Brawl, that's all I want man

Edited by Rehab

Someone said something about Pokemon being overrepresented. I wonder how that works.

As far as mains go from what we know, Link and Bowser. Maybe even Pikachu and Mario again. I have no doubt that Yoshi is in, so there's him. Buuut, I hope Falco and Ike are in.

Also, throw me on the Takamaru for Smash 4 bandwagon. The mode dedicated to his game in Samurai Warriors 3 has me interested.

http://kotaku.com/dont-expect-a-lot-of-third-party-characters-in-the-nex-513203533

In addition to the "same library of characters" comment at the bottom:

Don't expect a lot of third party characters. Perhaps Mega Man is the only one we're going to get. He did call Mega Man a Special Case.

and this is worth mentioning too:

And what about returning characters? I knew Sakurai wouldn't want to get too specific—Nintendo likes to announce characters for their big mascot fighting series with a dripfeed of news on the Smash Bros. Dojo website—but should fans expect all of their favorites from Melee and Brawl?

"The reality of the situation unfortunately is that there are certain limitations on the 3DS," Sakurai said. The 3DS and Wii U versions of the next Smash Bros will have the same library of characters.

bye bye lucario

Edited by Dinfinitysignfina

The vibe I'm getting from that statement is that we're looking forward to a number of substitutions, I'd guess...

and here's something else to discuss:

http://kotaku.com/the-next-smash-bros-will-balance-casual-and-hardcore-513211771

If Super Smash Bros. Melee was for hardcore players, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl was for casual players, the next Smash Bros. game will fall somewhere in between, creator Masahiro Sakurai says.

"I would consider the changes that we're making this time around not as fixes, but that we're changing the direction," he said through a translator.

K here's our direction change he talked about months ago. I like it ^_^.

Edited by Dinfinitysignfina

The talk of a balance between the more party fun and compeitive nature is what makes Smash so amazing. The fact it can be both, will just make all the more people play it. It's brilliant

I don't think he's focusing on shrinking the cast of characters, but he wants to do more with this game than just add a bunch of new characters and call it a day.

I still wouldn't expect anything more than 50 characters on the character selection screen, but not even hitting 40 would be way too conservative.