SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly don't get why Groose is so popular. Is it because he has all teh memes?

He doesn't have a very good character either - he's just an egotistical bully who becomes slightly less of one.

Edited by FrostyFireMage

I honestly don't get why Groose is so popular. Is it because he has all teh memes?

He doesn't have a very good character either - he's just an egotistical bully who becomes slightly less of one.

More or less yeah he's a goofball and him being such a jerk in the begining kinda makes things funny especially his ending quote about calling Link's adventure the Legend of Groose. To be fair he does actually turn into a nice guy in the end and helps Link fight the Imprisoned with his bomb machine and concedes that Link is the Hero and all.

So I found out what happens with the current customs, if they're back-end applied to Mewtwo. Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYvW8o7CtyQ

Also, research on beating out Stallager (thanks Smashboards)

So I did quite a bit of labbing against the Villager ledge stall tactics. I am happy to report they are not difficult to beat at all for any character.

Villager's basic gameplan is to repeatedly grab the ledge under the cover of Exploding Balloon Trip. If he or she gets an opening, the Villager will put a Timber Counter sapling in the way of the ledge to be obstructive, and if you are far away from the ledge, the Villager may jump up above the ledge briefly to use a Lloid Rocket (especially Pushy Lloid but default works fine) or shoot a slingshot. That is basically the entirety of Villager's ledge stall game.

This gameplan has several critical flaws. With Exploding Balloon Trip, Villager's recovery is more limited and predictable; not too far after a drop, you as the on-stage defender have a pretty good idea when Villager is going to use Exploding Balloon Trip and when the ledge will be grabbed. Additionally, if Villager has not touched his or her feet on the stage or been hit since his or her last ledge grab, the ledge grab will have no invincibility. Finally, it's very important to note that Villager is one of the characters whose head pokes above the stage when grabbing a ledge. If you put it all together, you know about when and where a character is going to do a committed animation that is entirely hittable and puts the character's hurtbox in a place that is easy to hit.

For most characters, the easiest solution is down smash. As soon as Villager starts up Exploding Balloon Trip (if he or she has already grabbed the ledge at least once in that air time), begin charging a down smash very close to the ledge. Time the release to hit right as Villager makes a non-invincible grab. Your down smash will trade with one of the balloons. You'll take 5% and be launched the far way along the stage. Villager will take whatever damage your dsmash does (hopefully more than 5%!) and will be stage spiked. Being Villager this very well may not kill right away, but the stage spike will prove dangerous at much earlier percentages than the balloons will prove dangerous to you. Even if you have an otherwise poor down smash like Jigglypuff's, it works great. Only down smashes that have strange (and not useful) hit properties or that hit very high on the user's body are going to be a concern.

If your character for whatever reason has a dsmash that is undesirable for this, most dairs work pretty well too (dairs that are meteors are extra rewarding!). You'll trade, but it should be a damage favorable trade that will inevitably kill Villager long before the balloon hit is dangerous to the on-stage player. It's actually amazingly easy to time the dair; Villager is VERY predictable when doing this. The main two characters I imagine will be pursuing this as a primary tactic are Ganondorf and Captain Falcon. Rosalina also might do this indirectly by using Luma Warp to put Luma's dair in the way. Luma dies a lot when you do this, but Luma's dair is very good at hitting this and you aren't risking any damage to Rosalina when you go for it.

Down angled fsmashes can also work too, but ones that only angle in a more shallow way (like Rosalina's) are a bit awkward. Ones that can angle down a lot like Wario's work VERY well; it's hilarious just how free this is for Wario to fsmash which also kills stupidly early in this situation, and that's just great as otherwise Wario would be one of the characters who would have a harder time.

If there's a sapling in the way, you may not be able to get in position. In that case, just wait out the sapling but stay vaguely close to the ledge. The sapling is on a timer, and you can simply not allow the Villager to plant another (which requires getting up on stage past your defenses). Also, be cautious about the balloons in this way. The balloons seem to follow a semi-random movement pattern. Villager's timing and spacing seems to have some effect on where they go, but it doesn't seem fully consistent. Sometimes the balloons from a previous grab will float up very close to the ledge and will make it nearly impossible to throw out an appropriate attack to counter the next one. In that case, just shield and try again on the next grab. It's seemingly super rare if not impossible for Villager to get three grabs in a row with perfectly positioned balloons so your shield should always hold up long enough to do this

Another notable option that is available to every character is ledge trumping. Due to the predictable timing of the grab, it's VERY easy to ledge trump a Villager doing this. If you are playing as a character like Sheik or Meta Knight who can capitalize off ledge trumps very effectively, you may find this more useful than the simple damage favorable trade plan. Even if you are playing as a character with awful ledge trump options, the mere act of trumping will "waste" Villager's balloons from that cycle. That means that, if you are being annoyed a lot by balloons from previous grabs messing up your ability to charge up that dsmash, you can just do a trump, climb back on stage, and then use your dsmash to cover the ledge with impunity.

Any character with a projectile that can hit along the ground or lower can rely on that. Villager can use the pocket to be obnoxious in some match-ups, but in others, it will be no help. Our experimentation showed that Mario of all characters is uniquely good here. If Mario spaces near the max distance of fireballs on a stage with flat ground and just mashes B, he beats this for free. He fires his projectiles with such a rate that he gets a guaranteed hit on any non-invincible Villager ledge grab, and he will be standing far enough away that even the longest range exploding balloons cannot hit him. If Villager doesn't have a stock lead, Villager will be absolutely forced off the ledge by this simple tactic. Sadly and strangely, Luigi's Bouncing Fireball custom didn't work out nearly as well...

Sonic has a unique tool to punish this in the spring. Generally trying to attack the Villager before the ledge grab is extremely risky since the balloons are an extremely effective defense from above. However, Sonic's spring is a unique "straight down" projectile that travels far and can be thrown very safely. If you get a chance to drop a spring on the balloons, it will pop one. With only one balloon left, Villager won't be able to get enough lift to grab the ledge easily; he or she will be forced to manually pop the remaining balloon for the big burst of height. This animation is unable to grab the ledge until it completes. If the Sonic player was smart and did a short hop spring -> auto cancel dair to drop that spring, he'll be in an ideal position to punish Villager flying up past the ledge with any move of his choice. Sadly, the double spring didn't prove as useful as you might hope with my limited testing; summoning the second spring dismisses the first which makes it hard to pop both balloons in time, but if you timed it really cleverly, double spring might be able to force kills in a hilarious manner.

The easiest answer, however, belongs to the perhaps unexpected Greninja. Greninja's Exploding Attack (down special 2) just hard counters this. Exploding Attack has invincibility and summons and explosion that hits all around Greninja including covering the ledge. If you literally stand over the ledge and mash down-B, the explosion will destroy all balloons with such a timing that the invincibility frames protect you. You literally cannot be hit by Exploding Balloon Trip while spamming this move, and it is active enough that you're pretty well assured to hit a non-invincible ledge grab as well with it. It also will beat Villager's uair from the ledge, and Villager can't easily move around it. Villager's only option as far as I can tell is to take the hit, make an invincible ledge grab, and use that ledge invincibility to get back on stage so, as Greninja, you can look at a Villager doing this as being absolutely forced into taking a hit and then facing a ledge trap mix-up. If you ever have to fight a Villager who you know only knows how to use this stalling tactic, just pick Greninja, be sure you have Exploding Attack, and enjoy your free win.

More advanced players may find some more intricate and timing sensitive answers, but with what I have above, I feel there's more than enough known for every character in the game to have an easy time stopping this tactic. It's very jarring at first, and if you don't realize that the balloons are a low damage move that's easy to trade with and instead just focus on avoiding all damage at all costs, you'll need a lot of patience and care to beat this. Once you realize that you can just trade hits and win by large margins, the tactic for Villager kinda falls to pieces. I commend the cleverness of the players who came up with this gimmick, but it will not be seeing tournament success in the future.
Edited by Sara.

He's the Hercule of the Zelda series.

so wait Mewtwo does have custom moves except they're not released yet?

The game has references and pointers to custom moves but majority of the time, animations will either break or crash the game. Not worth the hassle to attempt to activate them.

Edited by kingddd

so wait Mewtwo does have custom moves except they're not released yet?

They were probably planned and are hidden in the code which is accessed in a weird roundabout way as shown in the video. Since there are only pieces of it from incomplete development its likely they were canceled midway which would explain why the game crashes and bugs out when trying to do them.

Wolt's my favorite FE character but he's never going to be in unless a FE6 remake comes along and gives him lord status. And he's probably third, at best, for FE6 characters with potential to be promoted from average Joe to lord, after Lilina and Guenivere. AT BEST.

AS much as I would like it.

Holmes for SSB4

Ah! A Tear Ring Saga fan. So niche, but it is one of my favorite games of all time and is better than most of the Fire Emblem games!

I did look at all the links in this thread talking about the hackers found the data about Roy and Ryu were founded in the patch, but, are you guys sure that was the same Ryu from the Street Fighter series? I didn't see them mentioned about "that it was the Ryu was from Street Fighter" in their posts. I could possibly think that it could also be the other Ryu from Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive series if they possibly confirmed it that sound file wasn't Ryu from the Street Fighter series. (That I only know of two video game characters named Ryu from Street Fighter and Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive that I heard of right now)

And also, I glad to hear about Roy is going to return as DLC.

It never has been proven that he'd be in the game.

http://www.thegamingpixelshow.com/smash-bros-3ds-wii-data-shows-5-open-character-slots/

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/04/06/theres-five-blank-spots-on-the-super-smash-bros-character-lineup/

I just found a random site, so here.

I also forgot to mention that there will be 7 new DLC stages.

I just heard about this from that Etika guy on YouTube.

5 new characters sounds good!

He's the Hercule of the Zelda series.

0LzQce.jpg

Mr. Satan for the w1n!!!!!

How perfect would it have been if Roy were officially revealed today with the tagline "Roy Blazes it Up!"?

Roy Seals the Deal!

It was a binding ornament

fix'd

Re-fixed for your viewing pleasure.

Also people, quick question.

If Sega or Namco were to get a 2nd character like Capcom (apparently) is. Who would you want? From either company, they have quite a few franchises to their names.

How perfect would it have been if Roy were officially revealed today with the tagline "Roy Blazes it Up!"?

Roy Seals the Deal!

It was a binding arrangement.

For all your recreational needs Roy's our Boy!

I think you guys missed the joke, on any other day I'd have gone with Roy Seals the Deal

Roy 4/20 Blazes it, I had already made the joke on skype though :P

Also people, quick question.

If Sega or Namco were to get a 2nd character like Capcom (apparently) is. Who would you want? From either company, they have quite a few franchises to their names.

Namco: I'd like to see a Soul Calibur character (Preferably Sophitia, Hilde, Taki, or Ivy).

Sega: Another sonic character, perhaps?

Namco: I'd like to see a Soul Calibur character (Preferably Sophitia, Hilde, Taki, or Ivy).

Sega: Another sonic character, perhaps?

Sophitia would be legit ​especially after what SC5 did to her.. :/ I personally would love to see a Tales character in there, .hack, Valkyrie and tons of others would be awesome too.

I could see Shadow, Tails or Knuckles working, but I wouldn't mind seeing someone from Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Ristar, Vectorman, Shining Force, Virtua Fighter, Sakura Wars, Phantasy Star.. Panzer Dragoon... ETC lol