SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh, yes I do. I don't want Roy back. :/

Jesus christ lol. It's DLC, nobody's telling you to buy it or forcing it into your own roster. You'll probably run into some Roys online should you choose to play online, but really, reintroducing Roy to Smash will "disappoint" you? Get over yourself. What a selfish, childish way of thinking.

In the meantime I'm the only person ever who'd choose a DQ character as a SE rep... Long live [insert DQ protag here since I don't know which one they'd put in]

Did you miss the part where I said a friend of mine wants Slime and voted for it :P.

Also out of all the DQ protagonists I think I'd like Eight.

Did you miss the part where I said a friend of mine wants Slime and voted for it :P.

Also out of all the DQ protagonists I think I'd like Eight.

Oh, yeah, I did. Whoops.

I'm biased for Arus/Seven, but he and Eight were both on Sony consoles originally, though Seven has a 3DS remake now. The most likely if we do get a DQ character at all is DQI's protagonist (Loto, iirc?). Though most of them lack official names...

Couldn't they just make some kind of hybrid combination of all of them and call it Dragon Quest hero? Take all the best powers from across the series and leave the different designs as alts like the Koopalings.

Oh, yeah, I did. Whoops.I'm biased for Arus/Seven, but he and Eight were both on Sony consoles originally, though Seven has a 3DS remake now. The most likely if we do get a DQ character at all is DQI's protagonist (Loto, iirc?). Though most of them lack official names...

I'm all for the original protagonist, his stats would be based off the name used with him. In true DQ1 fashion :P.

I'm all for the original protagonist, his stats would be based off the name used with him. In true DQ1 fashion :P.

I see, well, I've never actually played DQ1, only 4-9 and a little bit of 3. Just seemed most likely by the power of first to exist.

Idea: who thinks we'll be getting fighter bundles, potentially with Lucas, Roy, and Ryu in the first bundle?

Evidence 1: Mii outfits have been released in a bundle, albeit also buyable individually.

Evidence 2: Lucas hasn't been priced, even though you'd expect him to be the same price as any other individual fighter (Mewtwo), suggesting there's more to it.

Evidence 3: Roy's and Ryu's victory themes were found alongside Lucas' in the game data.

Mewtwo came free for buyers of both versions of the game, so it wouldn't have made sense to bundle him with others, but even before any DLC was announced my idea was that we'd be getting packs of some sort like we did for Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule Warriors. It seems a pretty strong possibility to me.

I can totally see this. A bundle actually seems highly likely to me.

Also, here's a thought: I see (most) everyone is implying there will only be ONE ballot winner. What if there's more? What if we get...two? Or...three?

I don't know where I've said it but I've said it before. The upper limit to how many DLC characters we get is however long it remains profitable to employ people to make new ones for us. If they can keep draining our wallets with fighters then they will.

Jesus christ lol. It's DLC, nobody's telling you to buy it or forcing it into your own roster. You'll probably run into some Roys online should you choose to play online, but really, reintroducing Roy to Smash will "disappoint" you? Get over yourself. What a selfish, childish way of thinking.

WTF? Now you're just going to flame me? How in the flying fuck is simply being disappointed in something childish or selfish? And why the fuck do you people complain every time I state a disappointment in something?

Not everyone loves or cares about Roy, so fucking deal with it. There is NOTHING wrong with preferring something else instead. So how about YOU get over yourself and take your insults somewhere else?

Edited by Anacybele

Fire Emblem kinda took off because of Marth and Roy's inclusion, it's unlikely that FE would have ever made it to the west otherwise. Or even if it did, it'd have been a lot later. Brawl's Ike trophies reference Radiant Dawn, so the team were definitely aware of it, but I guess they just liked the FE9 design better at the time. I think Ike was just the most relevant character at the time to include, since he starred in a game and essentially co-starred in another. The chances are that we'd have gotten like Ephraim if Melee had been later or if Brawl had been earlier.

More like not at all. -.-

Then why didn't Shadow Dragon do so well? It did so bad that its sequel didn't make it out of Japan.

RD is also the sequel of a game that was released right at the end of the GC's lifespan. If that game did bad, why would a lot of people be interested in its sequel? It's a case of cause and effect.

It sure didn't help much though. Awakening made the most major step in the series, not Marth or Roy or Ike.

And regardless of any of this, Ike still now has two games to his name, three Smash appearances, and an appearance in Codename Steam and Awakening as DLC. Roy has nothing but his own game that didn't make it out of Japan, Melee, and Awakening DLC. He's just not as recognizable by fans anymore. He used to be, but over the years, with the addition of more and more fans, these fans will see Ike more than they will him.

This statement itself shows that Roy has no chance of making it to Smash again and am sick and tired of people talking about him wanting to be in this game. Cuz, it ain't gonna happen.

Shadow Dragon actually sold well (better than FE9 and FE10, at least). FE12 was a game released very late in the DS run, very text-heavy, and at a time when Nintendo was not bothering with localizations outside of their big IPs and their more casual stuff. It got Mother'd.

ThAe7U.jpg
Correct.
But...it is true that it sold well enough.

I'm probably going to be late, given the time it took me to type this out, but whatevs

To be fair, SD actually did sell more than both PoR and RD. That, and don't forget to consider that the majority of the series' sales came from japan.

Marth & Roy brought international interest to the series, which is how it got overseas to begin with. Global expansion is a HUGE step for any business, which you seem to be underestimating. How well it does globally on the other hand, is another story. As for why they didn't do well, who knows? Maybe there wasn't enough interest as they thought? Maybe the interest that Marth & Roy brought died down, due to the constant questioning of "Is Marth & Roy in this game"? Maybe because of that, by the time Marth actually came to the rest of the world, not enough people cared, which led to FE12 not being localized? No one can say for certain, but take educated guesses, from what numbers show. And from said numbers, no international FE game (barring Awakening) ever beat the numbers of the previous ones that sold more than all of them in only one region. Now imagine if FE was global from the beginning. Let that just sink in for a sec. There's levels to this shit, yo.

You know, making such arbitrary comparisons doesn't really say anything about Ike, or Roy. Before Awakening, FE was pretty much riding off of the Smash train for their most recognizable figures to even attain their statuses as icons. Granted, Marth was already one beforehand, but only in japan. If Roy was never cut to begin with, no one could make any of the prevalent arguments that you're using to defend Ike in your stance against Roy, when this apparent opposition between them should never have been there in the first place.

And if we're going with that idea of relevancy/fame, neither Jigglypuff, nor Sheik would have "deserved" - as some of you say- to be there either. When's the last time you've seen Sheik, -who only actually appeared in OoT as a disguse for Zelda- other than HW and a remake after Melee? When's the last time Jiggs ever got a spotlight in pokemon past the old days of the animated series? Their presence in Smash alone, is the only thing sustaining them, and that's what brought Lucas from the grave.

With all things considered and shallow comparisons taken out of the equation, what actual legitimate reason is there for keeping him out? The lack of an answer is probably why this argument continues among fans.

EDIT: I am not targeting you, and apologies in advance if it actually comes off that

It's funny that they do now after Awakening and Code Name S.T.E.A.M. =P

Oh, of course, I'm not dismissing Roy at all as totally irrelevant or unimportant. I just feel that he wouldn't be a suitable Smash rep anymore for other reasons, reasons that agree with Sakurai's criteria such as how he wants uniqueness and such. Roy is another sword wielder, like Chrom. And Sakurai dismissed Chrom because he would be similar to Ike and just wouldn't bring in anything unique the way Robin did.

If Ike and Roy's positions were switched, I would have to admit that Ike wouldn't be suitable either, as painful as it would be for me. I mean, he might still have the potential to be a heavy sword guy, but in the end, he still uses a sword and every FE rep uses one.

Strike:
Another contridiction that why Roy shouldn't return.

If anything, Sakurai NOT adding Roy would go against his criteria, as he stated he understand that every character has a following, and the only way to please every fan is to bring everyone back (which is also why he went out of his way to justify the Ice Climbers not returning).

Now that DLC is a thing, he can do exactly that, which is why we're getting Mewtwo, Lucas, and very likely Roy back. Even Pichu has a legitimate shot at returning now.

Well...D:
He'd have to get something different if he'd to be in. Is why that we didn't get Chrom. If Roy gets in, Chrom fans will be angered. -.-

ah come on its not like he had much competition anyway,I mean they only really cut 4 characters when they went from melee to brawl(5 if you count young link,but toon link is essentially young link in a different art style) and one of those 4 returned in smash4,so out of all the cut characters from melee only mewtwo,roy and pichu.

And well its not that hard to be more popular than the intentional joke character.

There is Dr.Mario.

Ike's a swordsman but he still filled the niche of a heavy hitter with good range but with a (comparatively) light weight. I do think the roster should have a few more magic users but if they put Micaiah in there she'd probably be more similar to Zelda than Ike is to Marth. Not that that's particularly a bad thing. I just don't want Ike's importance on the roster from a design standpoint to be understated.

The similarity is how that they get their SSB hacks to be successful. They use Majin Buu's moves out of Lucario's template for example.
Funky Kong
Definitely from Donkey Kong's template!

Leif can promote to Master Knight. He's basically the FE equivalent of Link, he can wield EVERYTHING.

...And it is still a mystery on how they can hold all of that equipment.

You people, wow.

Honestly, I'm not at all big on Roy, but if I get Dixie, Ice Climbers, and Wolf I really won't care who else is added. Hopefully Roy is a sign that Sakurai wants to bring back all the veterans and will find some way to include Ice Climbers.

*Nods*

Is why that we have the New Nintendo 3DS today. :D

You. I like you.

I'll say the Inkling is a pretty good bet. She's a pretty popular choice in the polls for a character whose game is not even out yet, and given how heavily Nintendo is pushing Splatoon, promotion through Smash is pretty much all that's left for them to do (well, that and a tie-in cartoon, but it's not like many Nintendo IPs get that).

Splatoon is also coming out in the middle of the whole Smash Ballot event, so I expect Inkling's Smash poll popularity to really rise after that.

It is very likely were getting someone from Splatoon, Issac, or Rayman as many people are already dying to wanting to having them in.

Geno for Smash4?

I wish.
But...they're licensed by Square, so... -.-

the more successful DLC characters are, the more likely they'd want to make more of them, anyways

if anything you should be hoping that Roy is super popular and makes Nintendo loads of cash

The only way that Roy will get in is if his game gets remade and localized.

Haha, I totally would dig Shadow as a second Sega character, although NiGHTS would be pretty legit, or some Sakura Wars, Streets of Rage person etc etc.

Sonic bias would make me like Shadow or Knuckles though, Shadow has his various chaos powers to be different then Sonic, Knuckles has his different attributes, as well as his brawler/digger styles.

JlofPQ.jpg
YES.
SAKURA, PLEASE! :DDD
We need more Ninja and Samurai warriors in Smash.

I can totally see this. A bundle actually seems highly likely to me.

Also, here's a thought: I see (most) everyone is implying there will only be ONE ballot winner. What if there's more? What if we get...two? Or...three?

Were likely to get only one winner as I don't think that Nintendo will go out of their way to making more than one character than that.

Edited by PuffPuff

(Jeez, Ana... o.o;)

Personally, while I'm happy with Roy being back, I think Eliwood might have been a better choice, as he could've helped promote Blazing Sword on the eShop. Roy's a fine choice, though, as he still has popularity from his Melee days, and his return would bring a big push to his relevancy. Hell, the main reason most people really hate him (based off my observations) is because of his stats in FE6 and Melee; not because of his character.

Sorry, I'm just tired of getting bashed every time I say I'm disappointed in some new announcement or whatever and I'm sick of being called things like childish and selfish for little stuff like that. I don't at all consider myself a selfish or immature person in the least bit. I have some childish interests, I won't deny that, but it's not the same as being immature.

For the record, even though I'm not buying Lucas, I don't mind him back. I'm just entirely neutral to him and it's nice to see a series as niche as Earthbound getting more than one rep again.

But people hate Roy mostly for his stats, not him as a character? That's pretty silly, imo. I still love Ike even though he's always been low tier in Smash. I still like certain Pokemon even though they don't have good potential in the competitive scene.

Edited by Anacybele

Sorry, I'm just tired of getting bashed every time I say I'm disappointed in some new announcement or whatever and I'm sick of being called things like childish and selfish for little stuff like that. I don't at all consider myself a selfish or immature person in the least bit. I have some childish interests, I won't deny that, but it's not the same as being immature.

For the record, even though I'm not buying Lucas, I don't mind him back. I'm just entirely neutral to him and it's nice to see a series as niche as Earthbound getting more than one rep again.

But people hate Roy mostly for his stats, not him as a character? That's pretty silly, imo. I still love Ike even though he's always been low tier in Smash. I still like certain Pokemon even though they don't have good potential in the competitive scene.

Yeah, even I admit Roy's stats blow thanks to his promo time (though his growths in and of themselves aren't that bad by FE6's standard). He gets four chapters to be promoted, and that's only if you don't get the worst ending (where the game cuts off after Zephiel, which is the map after Roy promotes). He's only really useful early thanks to Weapon Triangle, Western Isles again because of the Weapon Triangle, and the endgame (including the final boss) since his promo boosts are pretty good and the Sword of Seals is just that powerful.

Yeah come on guys, she's allowed to be disappointed if none of the DLC options so far interest her.

Anyway I would love a Square Enix rep but I dunno who it'd be, Sora is the most obvious since he's the biggest to be on Nintendo consoles recently but KHIII isn't coming to Wii U, so... And Disney might complicate things. Though he would be awesome. Agnès and Neku are a little too obscure IMO though I'd love Neku. And FF guys would just feel weird since they're usually associated with Playstation nowadays, maybe Terra though.

Yeah, even I admit Roy's stats blow thanks to his promo time (though his growths in and of themselves aren't that bad by FE6's standard). He gets four chapters to be promoted, and that's only if you don't get the worst ending (where the game cuts off after Zephiel, which is the map after Roy promotes). He's only really useful early thanks to Weapon Triangle, Western Isles again because of the Weapon Triangle, and the endgame (including the final boss) since his promo boosts are pretty good and the Sword of Seals is just that powerful.

Geez, that does blow. :/ What was IS thinking there, honestly?

Yeah come on guys, she's allowed to be disappointed if none of the DLC options so far interest her.

Thank you, Owain Dark. :)

I don't know much of Square Enix characters, so I can't really comment there.

Everyone knows Roy's not good statistically, but that's definitely not the only reason people dislike him. He's a very bland character.

I personally excuse Roy on that front because of translations being different, but I guess you have a point, regardless. I just tend to think positively about characters more than negatively, so I probably overlooked Roy's blandness.

Imo, though, NoA translations tend to make the characters better. Like Ike. From what I've seen of his Japanese script, he's pretty boring. I can't blame the Japanese fans for not liking him much, honestly. If only they could understand English and see our versions of PoR and RD, they might see just how awesome NoA made him.

Edited by Anacybele

Ike's pretty boring either way. Actually all FE protagonists are boring. Super righteous, no real flaws, they have special blood/chosen one, never make mistakes, no sense of humor. The only thing Ike has is that back story with his parents.

Edited by Knife

Ike's prEtty boring either way. Actually all FE protagonists are boring. Super righteous, no real flaws, they have special blood/chosen one, never make mistakes, no sense of humor. The only thing Ike has is that back story with his parents.

In trivia, Ike and Micaiah are the only FE lords that isn't, or wasn't born from a social status.

From a story standpoint, what Roy achieves in his game is actually pretty impressive. He's a 15-year-old whose army is made of the oldest Jeigan ever, a bunch of rookie knights who can barely connect a hit, and a group of nobodies he meets along the way. I'd say the only Lord who comes close in this regard is Leif.

But yeah, FE Lords are generally boring characters. I'll say Hector and Micaiah are the least boring ones, since at least their ways of doing things is a bit more interesting.

I think if we'd get a character from square enix,it should be Gilgamesh.

The dude is one of the few characters who appeared in the older FF games and still appears in the newer ones(and he is overall one of the very few characters who appears in more than one game at all,making him recognizeable for a wide range of people)

There is Dr.Mario.

Thats exactly who I meant when I said that one of the 4 cut characters returned in smash 4;)

I think if we'd get a character from square enix,it should be Gilgamesh.

The dude is one of the few characters who appeared in the older FF games and still appears in the newer ones(and he is overall one of the very few characters who appears in more than one game at all,making him recognizeable for a wide range of people)

Cloud has appeared in multiple as well. As well as various KH games, and FFT.

Although his case would be interesting as his existence back in the day was a middle finger to Nintendo in a sense that the deal between Nintendo and Sony fell through and the PS1 was made, but since then the two companies have been a bit more friendly again, so really anything goes.

Be it Cecil for most remakes (mostly all on Nintendo too, even The After Years was Wii only for a bit)

Cloud or Lightning for most promoted

Black Mage or Moggles being unofficial mascots

Or as you said Gilgamesh for his multiple appearances.

SE also has the Dragon Quest franchise which is gigantic in Japan as Glac has pointed out.

Then everyone's favorite puppet without a chance Geno.

Crono may have somewhat of a chance in the poll if enough SNES RPG gamers got together, issue is the SNES was like the best time for RPGs so his grand game doesn't have an edge, (not to mention tons of other choices from other companies)

Edited by Jedi