SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

I love Ike but would he really be so iconic if he hadn't been in Brawl? I don't think so, seeing as his games weren't best sellers even for how big FE was back then. Sure he was in two games but so was Leif and technically Roy. PoR and RD are generally more liked than Binding Blade among the fanbase but if Roy had been in Brawl and Ike hadn't I think Roy would still be thought of as more iconic. (The meme is "are Marth and Roy in this game" not "are Marth and Ike in this game" after all).

True, but RD was a game with multiple (or zero, depending how you define it) lords, where 5 and 6 only had one each, I figure Sakurai/IS thought Ike was a better rep since he was in the two most recent games. Keep in mind they didn't use his RD design back then.

Leaf however was only a main character in FE5,he wasn't one in FE4.Roy appeared in FE7,but had no relevance for the plot and wasn't even playable(eliwood was at least a bonus character in FE6)

And while RD had multiple main characters,Ike and Micaiah were by far the most important ones(there is a reason why the final boss has to be slayed by a combination attack of these 2).

And yeah Roy would be better known if he was in brawl instead of ike.....but that goes for pretty much every FE character.

Smash bros can turn any character into a well known celebrity,I mean many probably never heard anything of Ness,Marth or the ice climbers before super smash bros. either.

If they would have given us Sigurd instead of Marth in all the smash bros titles,then Sigurd would be more popular than marth,despite being less important for the FE series.

Whats important is how well known these characters would be if the smash bros series didn't exist and how important they are to their own main series.

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only character I would be pissed about and not wamt others to enjoy would be the crocodile on crack.

People said Chrom could be unique too. But he didn't get in because Sakurai didn't feel he would be unique enough. What does Roy have that we don't already see in Smash? Nothing. Flaming sword? Ike's got that. Swords at all? Like over half a dozen characters have that.

It's not that Roy can't be unique at ALL, it's that he's not unique enough.

I don't even agree that Roy is a "long overdue fan favorite" so you can't just force me to "understand and accept it."

He had a choice between Chrom and Robin. Robin was the obvious choice.

Roy is DLC, he has no "who is the better choice" to hinder his decision. Roy is an extra character. Out of all the cut Melee veterans, Roy and Mewtwo were the most wanted and if you didn't know that already, then I don't know where you've been getting your information.

Edited by Rabbattack

If anything, Sakurai NOT adding Roy would go against his criteria, as he stated he understand that every character has a following, and the only way to please every fan is to bring everyone back (which is also why he went out of his way to justify the Ice Climbers not returning).

Now that DLC is a thing, he can do exactly that, which is why we're getting Mewtwo, Lucas, and very likely Roy back. Even Pichu has a legitimate shot at returning now.

Veteran status didn't keep him in Brawl. Time constraints kept him out, and then he faded out of relevance and importance overall. He still has some significance because of him and Marth in Melee bringing FE out west, but besides that, there's just no reason to keep him around. This is just my opinion. Why can't you guys "understand and accept that"?

Also, hair color means shit. We have a lot of blondes in this game. Peach, Rosalina, ZSS, Link, Toon Link, Shulk...

it still gives him an edge, like you said about ike in brawl. it is true that he isn't as important as ike is now (just for comparison, mind you), but the effects of his presence in melee are still lingering.

people can still challenge your opinion, but you don't have to care.

yeah, but if chrom was included over robin, all the fe reps would be blue haired swordsmen. i don't care too much about appearences and how they'd affect chances of characters getting in, but that's pushing it for me at least. roy's red hair would be refreshing. his hair color isn't much as a whole, but i thought i'd just mention it.

Now that DLC is a thing, he can do exactly that, which is why we're getting Mewtwo, Lucas, and very likely Roy back. Even Pichu has a legitimate shot at returning now.

<3

Edited by Comet

We have a lot of blondes in this game. Peach, Rosalina, ZSS, Link, Toon Link, Shulk...

Blondes are the best, didn't you know?

In regards to hair, why don't we add a certain green-haired swordswoman to the roster? That'd be cool, right?

Edited by Tsunami922

Yeah, being in Melee does give Roy an edge, I agree. But I'll still be surprised if Roy does in fact turn out to be DLC.

EDIT: Oh, thank you, Tsu! I'm a blonde. ^^

Edited by Anacybele

Blondes are the best, didn't you know?

In regards to hair, why don't we add a certain green-haired swordswoman to the roster? That'd be cool, right?

It took me a minute to figure out you were talking about Lyndis.

Tbh I'd rather Eirika but w/e.

Yeah, being in Melee does give Roy an edge, I agree. But I'll still be surprised if Roy does in fact turn out to be DLC.

EDIT: Oh, thank you, Tsu! I'm a blonde. ^^

You'd still be surprised even with four hackers confirming the existence of a sound file with his name on it?

Why would those sound files have been put in the update if the characters themselves aren't finished and downloadable yet? On top of that, I'm sure Nintendo knows by now that hackers can dig out this information, and given how Sakurai is about spoilers (*cough*his reasons for excluding a story mode in Smash Wii U/3DS*cough*), I don't see any reason why he would put files for future DLC characters in an update that he's releasing before the characters are even announced.

And for all we know, those sound files could be part of something else that we're not even thinking of/expecting. I just think it would be surprising to see Roy back at all. That's all.

Out of all the cut Melee veterans, Roy and Mewtwo were the most wanted and if you didn't know that already, then I don't know where you've been getting your information.

ah come on its not like he had much competition anyway,I mean they only really cut 4 characters when they went from melee to brawl(5 if you count young link,but toon link is essentially young link in a different art style) and one of those 4 returned in smash4,so out of all the cut characters from melee only mewtwo,roy and pichu are missing.

And well its not that hard to be more popular than the intentional joke character.

Edited by BlueLore

Why would those sound files have been put in the update if the characters themselves aren't finished and downloadable yet? On top of that, I'm sure Nintendo knows by now that hackers can dig out this information, and given how Sakurai is about spoilers (*cough*his reasons for excluding a story mode in Smash Wii U/3DS*cough*), I don't see any reason why he would put files for future DLC characters in an update that he's releasing before the characters are even announced.

And for all we know, those sound files could be part of something else that we're not even thinking of/expecting. I just think it would be surprising to see Roy back at all. That's all.

Maybe Sakurai wants to build up hype. Maybe he intentionally left it in for us.

Maybe Sakurai wants to build up hype. Maybe he intentionally left it in for us.

I don't know, but at this point, I suppose anything is possible with that guy running things. xP

Given that the hackers finding the files are very very skilled overall, who have made correct predictions in the past, the existence of the files are nearly inarguable unless it's some type of hacking conspiracy (which I doubt).

...Mother 3 in Brawl is around as spoilerific as you can get.

Because preparation for their release never hurts?

Not sure what else FE's victory theme labeled "Roy" would do besides be a victory theme for Roy or some other FE character and Roy's name is just there to screw with heads

Either one is fine with me. Or both. Both is also good.

Eirika has a pony. Best fighting style ever.

One of the hackers who found this data, is one who found Tingles data before he was even added to Hyrule Warriors via DLC. So its a similar concept.

You know, the more I think about it the more I wish we got Micaiah over Ike in Brawl. She doesn't have blue hair, uses magic, and was a lord of FE10. But then we might have a new FE stereotype of blue-haired sword users and silver-haired magic users (points at SSB!Robin). I dunno, she would've definitely been a unique choice, but putting her in now would give Tellius two reps when the other FEs are not well represented (and Awakening having both Robin and Lucina is something I'm not happy about).

I welcome the inclusion of Roy as DLC, because I do want him back but I also wanna see Ana rage where's my Etrian Odyssey? :P:

Edited by Sunwoo

You have no reason to be disappointed, though.

Uh, yes I do. I don't want Roy back. :/

I probably wouldn't be playing FE at all if Micaiah had gotten in over Ike. Ike got me interested in FE because I thought he looked cool and I looked up his game. I don't think Micaiah looks that cool. She has a nice design, but not nice enough for me to go all "she's cool!" and look up the game she's in.

Edited by Anacybele

I wonder if Ryu will get a special bar similar to Little Mac for Super Moves. And I hope that we will also get some of the other character's themes, maybe even a new Special Smash mode which automatically plays Guile's Theme on every stage.

I understand Roy, but why Ryu? Why would Capcom get two characters? Why not put in Chun-Li instead?

Ryu is The Fighting game character, having him included would be really cool. Heck if anything this could mean Sega and Namco get someone else each too.

In all seriousness, though, I'm actually at that point where I really don't care who makes it as DLC or not because the series that I want repped has no chance of being repped, so I'm content just watching the SSB community tear each other apart over who gets in as DLC or not. And I don't mean just SF, I see this in other places as well.

Why do we have to be disappointed by characters that get in as DLC? I'm not innocent of this myself either, but it is a very selfish thought process to go, "I don't like thing, so no one gets to have it. Not even people who really wanted thing." It's why I got over my dislike for Lucina in Smash for the most part (although now my issues with her are mostly people who have no idea what the definition of protagonist is or argue that she could've been unique while Chrom could not).

I understand Roy, but why Ryu? Why would Capcom get two characters? Why not put in Chun-Li instead?

Because Nintendo is going to buy the rights to Mega Man and when that happens Capcom still needs a character they own in Smash.

Street Fighter 4 for Wii U.

I really would have liked Micaiah over Ike as the FE rep in Brawl, though I would have liked Roy returning more than the both of them. Micaiah would have had a completely unique moveset and no one would have complained about all the blue-haired sword dudes in Smash.

Uh, yes I do. I don't want Roy back. :/

I probably wouldn't be playing FE at all if Micaiah had gotten in over Ike. Ike got me interested in FE because I thought he looked cool and I looked up his game. I don't think Micaiah looks that cool. She has a nice design, but not nice enough for me to go all "she's cool!" and look up the game she's in.

Why should it matter to you whether Roy comes back or not? You're not forced to buy his DLC, or even play as him if you were, so what's the big deal?

In a completely unsubtle attempt to tell everyone that I'm bored with the current topic, how's everyone finding the other characters in the update? A few of the top tier peeps have been nerfed, aside from Yoshi, so I'm wondering how the tourney crowd will adapt.

RIP Link's jab-lock, you were much loved.