SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

The comparison is meant to demonstrate that despite their similarities in terms of moveset and abilities they are different enough that their differences heavily influence how you play them.

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't you mean shotos?

Funny how Mario and Luigi were the closest to shotos smash got.

But we may be getting THE shoto. Mr. Fighting Game.

Edited by Jedi

I'm really feeling the R.O.B. up throw nerf. And it hurts. Ouch.

Why the fuck did Ness get to keep his ridiculous back throw but R.O.B.'s up throw takes 20-30% more on average to kill?

I'm really feeling the R.O.B. up throw nerf. And it hurts. Ouch.Why the fuck did Ness get to keep his ridiculous back throw but R.O.B.'s up throw takes 20-30% more on average to kill?

I lost my sonic back throw kill too. It doesn't kill till 160%ish

Granted I didn't use his throws for kills much before anyways but still..

two, if you want to get technical

I meant there is one game where he was a main character.

Sheik and Dark Pit among others are less relevant than Roy and they are there. Also Roy being there would allow every era of FE be represented. Plus he's popular in Japan and with the west smash crowd to an extent.Also your overstating Ikes relevance a bit, you seem to forget the Japanese populous for the most part didn't even realize radiant dawn existed when Ike had his redesign in smash.

Sheik is only in the game because she was originally a part of Zeldas moveset and Zelda is obviously an important character for the zelda series.Sheik only remained in SSB4,because she is quite popular with the players and they didn't want to cut her just because they decided to not do switch-characters anymore.Also with Hyrule warriors she finally made it into a second game even though its just a spinoff.

Dark pit is basically in the same boat as Dr.Mario and Lucina,he was originally planned to be a costume for pit and only became a character because they decided to add some differences to him.

And I dunno why it'd be important to represent every FE "era",they don't represent every generation for pokemon,so why should that matter for fire emblem?

Ike is definetly less popular in japan than he is in the west,but there is a reason why awakening went so far to give us his descendant as a bonus character,to make ike the final DLC character and make so many references to the tellius games,simply because he is quite popular in the west.Besides that Ike is the only character in the FE series(besides Marth) who is a main character in 2 games.

Edited by BlueLore

And I dunno why it'd be important to represent every FE "era",they don't represent every generation for pokemon,so why should that matter for fire emblem?

Pokémon "adds" to a preexisting cast each new gen. Pikachu is still playable, regardless of game.

In FE, games have completely different casts and leaving out one excludes the game due to lacking shared cast. People also aren't fond of the fact there are two FE13 people in the game when 6 FE games have none to speak of (Jugdral, GBA, and Gaiden).

Pretty much.

Aren't Ryu and Ken like Lawful Neutral/Neutral Good or something? They're not ones to constantly pursue evil, yet at the same time, they can't tolerate it either. Also, they don't kill, which is ironic since their fighting style is derived from Ansatsuken (Assassin's Fist), though, Ryu does unwillingly as his evil persona

They are now allowing characters that are not from the Nintendo realm.

*Sigh* Oh, what next?

Sheik is only in the game because she was originally a part of Zeldas moveset and Zelda is obviously an important character for the zelda series.Sheik only remained in SSB4,because she is quite popular with the players and they didn't want to cut her just because they decided to not do switch-characters anymore.Also with Hyrule warriors she finally made it into a second game even though its just a spinoff.

Dark pit is basically in the same boat as Dr.Mario and Lucina,he was originally planned to be a costume for pit and only became a character because they decided to add some differences to him.

Ike is definetly less popular in japan than he is in the west,but there is a reason why awakening went so far to give us his descendant as a bonus character,to make ike the final DLC character and make so many references to the tellius games,simply because he is quite popular in the west.Besides that Ike is the only character in the FE series(besides Marth) who is a main character in 2 games.

Also Hyrule Warriors gave it away that Sheik was indeed female.

Playing the harp along with the voice actor being a girl.

Pokémon "adds" to a preexisting cast each new gen. Pikachu is still playable, regardless of game.

In FE, games have completely different casts and leaving out one excludes the game due to lacking shared cast. People also aren't fond of the fact there are two FE13 people in the game when 6 FE games have none to speak of (Jugdral, GBA, and Gaiden).

Even then there are many FE games who have no character that represent them and i don't see the big reason why the different eras (NES,SNES,GBA,GC/Wii,DS,3DS) need to be represented(I can understand the wish to give us characters that represent a large amount of games,but not why systems need to be covered first)

With a series like FE that has almost alwas a completely new cast I'd say it is most important to choose the characters who can represent more games at once or are outstanding in some way for the series as a whole,which is why we got Marth,Ike and Robin.The only reason Lucina is in is due to the fact that she was originally supposed to be a costume for marth until they decided to do some minor changes to her and thus treat her as a seperate character.

on the one hand, mewtwo is hella fun to play as, and probably at least OKAY as a fighter

on the other hand, sheik lost her last reliable kill move, and link lost probably his best kill setup, so both characters I get anywhere near maining were hit stupid hard

;/

Yeah Mewtwo doesn't have any custom moves. The same's text boxes are different for Mewtwo than the other characters who don't have any customs unlocked yet. Presumably Lucas and other DLC characters won't get them either.

I wonder how this will shape the custom move argument for Evo.

Mewtwo doesn't have custom moves, custom tourneys are dead.

since I didn't see this addressed when skimming the thread:

https://twitter.com/SmashCapps/status/588379925406552064

[spoiler=also mewtwo does actually have customs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgcPVyFnbw4

(the same guy has another video for 3DS, FYI)

Edited by Euklyd

on the one hand, mewtwo is hella fun to play as, and probably at least OKAY as a fighter

on the other hand, sheik lost her last reliable kill move, and link lost probably his best kill setup, so both characters I get anywhere near maining were hit stupid hard

;/

since I didn't see this addressed when skimming the thread:

https://twitter.com/SmashCapps/status/588379925406552064

[spoiler=also mewtwo does actually have customs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgcPVyFnbw4

(the same guy has another video for 3DS, FYI)

Hmm. I got really excited seeing this video but after watching I'm not sure how to feel. Clearly something needed to be added to the "equipment slots" for the customs but these are super unfinished and just plain weird. Hopefully this means they're just not done making them and will release it in a future update rather than them trying to make them and then just gave up thinking people wouldn't mind.

https://twitter.com/LTNintendo/status/588938332891176960

Sakurai is making a presentation at the 25th Anniversary FE Concert in July.

Given recent events, I don't think you have to think too hard about what this could mean.

Thinking this for the release schedule,

Mewtwo - April

Lucas - June

Roy - August

Ryu - October

Ballot Winner - December

Gamefreak dictates to Sakurai what Pokémon he is allowed to use is one major difference. He doesn't have the same issue with IS, and your reasoning for Sheik being a popular fighter works for Roy too.

Yes Ike has two FE's while really good were massive flops, while Roys game/Melee saved the FE series from falling off thanks to the late development and barely retailed Thracia. Not to mention Roy does well in Japanese character polls.

Ike's games also didn't get the same kind of advertisement Roy's did either. Tellius seriously would've sold pretty well if it had gotten proper advertisement. Not even many Japanese folks knew RD existed, for example.

Also, seeing as Ike was IS's idea for a rep and Sakurai has yet to cut him, they don't give a damn about popularity or sales when picking Smash characters. They both also seem fond of him.

I don't think GameFreak "dictates" which Pokemon gets in. Definitely they get a say and Sakurai want's their opinion but that's a little different to Gamefreak having complete creative control over what characters Nintendo can and cannot use (which as far as I know they don't, since there's like half a dozen Pokemon games not made by GameFreak, most notably Pokemon Coliseum). And as far as I know it's the same for IS since (though you know with information like this, it easily could be a rumor) Sakurai was originally going to but Leif in Melee but IS suggested he use the yet to be revealed Roy instead.

Gamefreak dictates to Sakurai what Pokémon he is allowed to use is one major difference. He doesn't have the same issue with IS, and your reasoning for Sheik being a popular fighter works for Roy too.

Yes Ike has two FE's while really good were massive flops, while Roys game/Melee saved the FE series from falling off thanks to the late development and barely retailed Thracia. Not to mention Roy does well in Japanese character polls.

Can you cite plz

Can you cite plz

Why cite when Greninja is living proof. Gamefreak basically went up to Sakurai and asked him to put Greninja in the game before X and Y came out, all they gave him was one page of concept art and let him make the rest.

I'm not sure, because of this article I found, it's still a bit open to interpretation

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/game-freak-doesnt-choose-which-pokemon-make-it-into-smash-bros#.VD3AtnR0zIV

Even since the very first Smash Bros., it’s been Mr. Sakurai coming to us with ideas saying, “If we put this Pokemon in this game – in Smash Bros. – we’d be able to show it off in a really cool way and do something really cool with it.” The origin comes from Mr. Sakurai. We typically go with what he wants to do because he’s really thinking of not just showing off the character in a cool way, but making sure it makes sense and works really well from a gameplay perspective. We leave it up to him.

According to Junichi Masuda and Shigeru Ohmori, Pokémon representatives are chosen just like all the others: by Sakurai himself.

Those two, being the founders & directors of Pokémon, btw

Edited by Sara.

Because I wanted you to admit that you were wrong before I called you out on it :)

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/game-freak-doesnt-choose-which-pokemon-make-it-into-smash-bros#.VD3AtnR0zIV

According to Junichi Masuda and Shigeru Ohmori, Pokémon representatives are chosen just like all the others: by Sakurai himself.

Those two, being the founders & directors of Pokémon, btw

This seems contradictory to an article Doofina and I linked many hundreds of pages ago that Sakurai stated gamefreak was the absolute hardest to work with among all the companies for smash related things.

Sadly mobile isn't letting me dig for the article currently but I'll link it when I find it.