SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

Here's a big change for a specific match-up: Villager can no longer pocket Pac-Man's Trampoline.

also can't pocket sonic's spring iirc

e: wow elie. that was a sick read, bro

Edited by Euklyd

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This seems contradictory to an article Doofina and I linked many hundreds of pages ago that Sakurai stated gamefreak was the absolute hardest to work with among all the companies for smash related things.

Sadly mobile isn't letting me dig for the article currently but I'll link it when I find it.

This can mean different things, like licensing deals are harder, or that they like to be more hands-on with how the Pokemon are used, but the fact is that they themselves state that as far as which Pokemon get in, Sakurai chooses.

I've only ever seen it speculated that Game Freak has any control over which Pokemon get in, never any proof, and people only even speculated because of Mewtwo's initial absence. But, well, yeah.

your reasoning for Sheik being a popular fighter works for Roy too.

Yes Ike has two FE's while really good were massive flops, while Roys game/Melee saved the FE series from falling off thanks to the late development and barely retailed Thracia. Not to mention Roy does well in Japanese character polls.

The thing is that Sheik actually has a distinct moveset,while roy was a clone of marth.

Also Roy got cut for brawl which had only 2 FE characters and had less character slots than ssb4,so they had to make more cuts.

And I dunno about Roys game saving the franchise.I mean yes there was a 3 year gap between FE 5&6,but there was also a 3 year gap between FE4&5

Roy indirectly saved FE because he was in Melee.

So many Fire Emblem fans wouldn't have heard of the series at all if Marth and Roy weren't in Smash.

It's the reason "Are Marth and Roy in this game?" was asked by people looking to play FE7, FE8 and (I think) FE9.

So many Fire Emblem fans wouldn't have heard of the series at all if Marth and Roy weren't in Smash.

It's the reason "Are Marth and Roy in this game?" was asked by people looking to play FE7, FE8 and (I think) FE9.

The thing is that Marth alone would have already sparked interest into the series and that they could have included basically any FE main character to achieve the same effect.

Don't misunderstand me here,I'd understand it if they added Roy back as dlc,because Roy has become quite popular thanks to melee,I just think that Roy got this spot more by chance and didn't really deserve it.

Edited by BlueLore

Personally, I think it'd be funny to add Eliwood in Smash Bros. just to confuse the non-FE fans who want Roy back.

"Who's this Eliwood guy? And why does he look like Roy?"

I just think that Roy got this spot more by chance and didn't really deserve it.

That same thought is applicable to Lucina as well, ya know.

So many peeps are quick to shout "Not another Marth clone!", when Roy can be de cloned just as much and easily as the other previous clones, such as Luigi, Falco, Ganondorf, and (Y)TLink, along with the semi status of Lucas.

I've yet to see an actual reason to not have him, other than by arbitrary comparisons due to him being an initial clone of someone he has no relation to at all other than series, and FE already having 4 characters, which isn't fair, being a veteran and all

Don't misunderstand me here,I'd understand it if they added Roy back as dlc,because Roy has become quite popular thanks to melee,I just think that Roy got this spot more by chance and didn't really deserve it.

Yeah, exactly. Whether or not Roy "deserved" to be in Smash doesn't really mean much. Roy was added because he was the newest lord, same reason Ike was added, same reason Robin and Lucina were added (if Awakening hadn't been so popular it probably would've only been one of them). Roy was just lucky, true, but he should still get credit for creating interest for FE overseas, I liked him more than Marth in Melee, and one reason I bought FE7 was because I thought Eliwood on the cover was Roy.

[spoiler=also mewtwo does actually have customs]

(the same guy has another video for 3DS, FYI)

Great! :D

Nintendo will have to release a new patch that allows you to collect his custom moves.

Here's a big change for a specific match-up: Villager can no longer pocket Pac-Man's Trampoline.

Nintendo's part on nerfing him upon the new patch. Why that is...?

Why cite when Greninja is living proof. Gamefreak basically went up to Sakurai and asked him to put Greninja in the game before X and Y came out, all they gave him was one page of concept art and let him make the rest.

Gamefreak did plenty for Nintendo. Of course he's going in.

Snake isn't, because Kojima hasn't brought any give. Plus no new Wii-U game.

This entire video explains on how this series grew. ...And thankfully I've found out about Fire Emblem from my brother who showed me some fanarts of Marth as well as some music that we've collected. (This was a year before Smash Melee came out!) Was looking at FE1 from rpgamer.com then...because of them being in Melee got me to start playing FE7 then...

-FE6

-FE1(NES)

-FE2

-FE3

-FE4

-FE8

-FE9

-FE5

-FE10

-FE11

-FE12

-FE13

Even with Melee, the audiences weren't very much until Awakening came out which was meanting to be FE's last game. It's thanks to Awakening is why the series continues to live and were getting Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem and FE14. Still, it is sickening that Lucina is in the game unless that she is going to be the star of FE IF. Guess what? She isn't.

Edited by PuffPuff

Great! :D

Nintendo will have to release a new patch that allows you to collect his custom moves.

you do realize I was making a joke, right?

just because there are (literally) broken customs within the game's code doesn't mean anything will be replacing them

things have been dummied out before

e: that isn't to say that there will not ever be mewtwo customs, just that it's not guaranteed

Edited by Euklyd

you do realize I was making a joke, right?

just because there are (literally) broken customs within the game's code doesn't mean anything will be replacing them

things have been dummied out before

e: that isn't to say that there will not ever be mewtwo customs, just that it's not guaranteed

they probably haven't made them yet

yeah, it's quite likely

(although, "why release mewtwo if he's not finished" is a reasonable point)

So many peeps are quick to shout "Not another Marth clone!", when Roy can be de cloned just as much and easily as the other previous clones, such as Luigi, Falco, Ganondorf, and (Y)TLink, along with the semi status of Lucas.

I've yet to see an actual reason to not have him, other than by arbitrary comparisons due to him being an initial clone of someone he has no relation to at all other than series, and FE already having 4 characters, which isn't fair, being a veteran and all

Yeah, exactly. Whether or not Roy "deserved" to be in Smash doesn't really mean much. Roy was added because he was the newest lord, same reason Ike was added, same reason Robin and Lucina were added (if Awakening hadn't been so popular it probably would've only been one of them). Roy was just lucky, true, but he should still get credit for creating interest for FE overseas, I liked him more than Marth in Melee, and one reason I bought FE7 was because I thought Eliwood on the cover was Roy.

It is applicable to Lucina thats true,but that doesn't make it makes it any better.Lucina wasn't even planned to be a character she was originally going to be a costume for Marth,before they decided to add some minor differences.

And yes Roy can be decloned,but the question is if they are actually going to do that.I mean they didn't change the movesets of Lucas and Mewtwo(and this time around they actually didn't bother to declone anyone aside from the custom moves).

My main problem with roy is that he is simply not that much of a big deal for the FE series.

In my opinion Ike and Robin actually earned the spot(Ike is pretty iconic in the west and a main character in 2 games,while Robin is the poster child for the MU,which was already a part of FE12(and the tactician thing was also part of FE7) and seems to be becoming a staple in the franchise),but Roy doesn't have much speaking for him other that he was the newest main character at the time of melees release and that he was more different from marth than leaf(because sakurai originally planned to include leaf,but chose roy because roy was a better contrast for marth)

yTo0Gi.jpg

There is the warning!

Found it!

The Replay Saved Data Warning! It shows this message whenever you at first had no replays saved!

Edited by PuffPuff

My main problem with roy is that he is simply not that much of a big deal for the FE series.

In my opinion Ike and Robin actually earned the spot(Ike is pretty iconic in the west and a main character in 2 games,while Robin is the poster child for the MU,which was already a part of FE12(and the tactician thing was also part of FE7) and seems to be becoming a staple in the franchise),but Roy doesn't have much speaking for him other that he was the newest main character at the time of melees release and that he was more different from marth than leaf(because sakurai originally planned to include leaf,but chose roy because roy was a better contrast for marth)

I love Ike but would he really be so iconic if he hadn't been in Brawl? I don't think so, seeing as his games weren't best sellers even for how big FE was back then. Sure he was in two games but so was Leif and technically Roy. PoR and RD are generally more liked than Binding Blade among the fanbase but if Roy had been in Brawl and Ike hadn't I think Roy would still be thought of as more iconic. (The meme is "are Marth and Roy in this game" not "are Marth and Ike in this game" after all).

Ike wasn't actually the newest lord when he was added though, if so many people consider Micaiah one. RD came out before Brawl.

True, but RD was a game with multiple (or zero, depending how you define it) lords, where 5 and 6 only had one each, I figure Sakurai/IS thought Ike was a better rep since he was in the two most recent games. Keep in mind they didn't use his RD design back then.

Edited by Owain Dark

Why would art style have anything to do with relevance?

It honestly seems to me that relevance to the series is not even a factor at this point, and Sakurai is bringing Roy back mainly as fanservice/nostalgia for people who enjoyed playing as him in Melee (a "buy him if you want" kinda deal). It may also be because he is just easy to make based off his old moveset, though I would hope that he is at least as different from Marth/Lucina as Falco is from Fox. I would guess that most of the team's efforts in designing an entirely original character moveset would go into Ryu and whoever ends up winning the ballot.

I would be happy if Sakurai actually does end up completely revamping Roy's moves but I'd have to be skeptical for now as so far he has never made any DRASTIC changes to any returning character's moveset. Luigification is somewhat likely though, as if he just ends up becoming a third Marth the rage in the fanbase will be real.

I love Ike but would he really be so iconic if he hadn't been in Brawl? I don't think so, seeing as his games weren't best sellers even for how big FE was back then. Sure he was in two games but so was Leif and technically Roy. PoR and RD are generally more liked than Binding Blade among the fanbase but if Roy had been in Brawl and Ike hadn't I think Roy would still be thought of as more iconic. (The meme is "are Marth and Roy in this game" not "are Marth and Ike in this game" after all).

I don't think Marth would be that iconic either if he had been cut from the international version of Melee. He would still only be known in Japan.

True, but RD was a game with multiple (or zero, depending how you define it) lords, where 5 and 6 only had one each, I figure Sakurai/IS thought Ike was a better rep since he was in the two most recent games. Keep in mind they didn't use his RD design back then.

True. Maybe Sakurai hadn't seen RD Ike's design yet or something. Who knows...

Roy was the first Lord on a handheld console with a drastically different art style so he has that going for him in terms of relevance.

So? Ike is the first lord to have a game in 3D and yet another very new art style.