Recommend One Game That's a Favourite of Yours That's Not Well Known

Randoman

The Growlanser series in it's entirety, Those are some nice SRPGs, mixed in with a tiny bit of RTS

and while i'm at it, i'll say Hiouden, Legend of the Scarlet King, this was a pure RTS with RPG elements, hidden jewel on the snes if I say so myself

Dark Half... one of the best snes rpgs I've ever played... you can be the evil guy(To those this appeals to), there's no solid translation patch for it, but from what i've gathered, it's a pretty good story

Summer Carnival '92 Recca
Extremely difficult, extremely pretty, a techno chiptune soundtrack unlike any other NES game, and despite all of this the slowdown is almost non-existent. Not only that, but it still manages to be faster and more frantic than most other shmups even to this very day! Forget any premise this game might have, just think of the premise why the game was made! ("We're hosting a video games championship this year, what game should we use?" "Make a completely new one from scratch!")

I remember this game, this was one tough game

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of my favorite games are Gothic 1 & 2. Two PC games released in 2001 and 2003 respectively.

While the series was big over here, it never got off internationally. So it should qualify for this thread.

I can only recommend the first two. The series got further sequels. But unfortunately Gothic 3 was broken beyond believe. After that one, I didn't care about the series anymore.

Anyway, the first two Gothic games and TESIII: Morrowind were what defined RPGs for me when I was a child. Even though they couldn't be any more different from each other.

Morrowind's world offered freedom that I never seen before in a game.

Discovering the depth's of the sea's with water breathing spells? You can do that. A destination is at a high place? Just fly there. Etc..

Gothic couldn't match that. But it had other qualities that made it just as good in my book.

It had a tight atmosphere and an immensely lively (but grim) environment

The first game plays in a prison colony, that was taken over by the inhabitants after an attempt to secure it with a magical barrier went wrong.

Since almost all NPCs are outlaws, you not only have to worry about the monsters that force your low level ass to run like hell but also with the NPCs wanting to beat your non-existent lunch money out of you.

Literally, since you don't actually die when knocked out by a human. And NPCs are free to empty your pockets until you can get up. But you can return the favor.

So the world is fittingly hostile, making leveling feel so satisfying as you grew from having to run like hell from the mere sight of danger, to easily crush anything.

There are tons of NPCs running around the camps, going through their daily routine. Like, in the evening you can see like a dozen NPCs sitting around a campfire, eating, talking to each other, playing banjo or whatever before they go to sleep eventually.

That was five years before Oblivion btw. I would say that Oblivion's environmental actions can't compare. At all.

Like I said, melee attacks don't actually kill other NPCs.

They only die when you stab them while they are unconscious on the floor. That makes certain quests a lot easier since you can take all their stuff in the meantime.

The same goes for you, but NPCs will only kill you when you murdered someone.

Btw, NPCs also remember that you beat them up. So they get scared shitless when they just see you drawing your weapon.

Once you get stronger, there is no greater pleasure then to teach a lesson to all those NPCs who gave you a hard time before. Btw, did I mention that level progression in this game is fun?

The magical barrier is a cool concept too, since it actually gives a reason that you can't leave the game world.

And the barrier is a real thing. Just try walking backwards right after the beginning of the game.

Normally you can't see the barrier. But every now and then, you can see he magical web engulf the entire sky to remind you that you are really trapped in a cage.

Even after all these years, I still think that the effect looks fascinating.

In order to properly start the main quest is too get yourself popular at one of the three rivaling camps.

However, after a few small quests, they all lead into the same main quest. The main difference is that depending on how your carrier goes, you have access to teachers who teach different advanced skills.

I would say that the game's biggest flaw is that it's as beginner friendly as it sounds.

Namely: you get thrown in a world filled with deadly monsters and criminals while your character doesn't know how to swing a sword. Literally.

You need to find a teacher before your character stops trying to swing an one-handed sword in two hands. Which consequently makes the combat system initially look a lot worse then it actually is.

And you even have to buy a map. Well, or beat up the map drawer and take his stuff. (Did I mention that Gothic is awesome?)

But as I said: It makes progress all the more satisfying.

And while I don't know for sure, I expect that the English dub isn't very good.

Since this post ended up lasting as long as it does, I will summarize the second game like this:

It's the same engine but runs quite a bit smoother. Both mechanical wise, controls and in terms from your starting position. Also, it has an ad-don that is amazing beyond words.

Edited by BrightBow

Skies of Arcadia : Legends * (A enhanced re-release of Skies of Arcadia for Sega Genesis)

I wouldn't call Legends a enhanced re-release. Both versions have pros and cons.

Dreamcast: VGA support looks nicer, better audio

Gamecube: extra content, slightly faster loading time, less random battle encounter rate

Personally I like the higher encouter rate when grinding since later on in game, you can just fly above the clouds to avoid battle.

Oh look, someone who has played the Gothic games. And someone who actually played Elona, too. I almost forgot about these games. I'd be so bold as to say that the first Gothic (the one I played) is as good as Oblivion/Morrowind. Elona is also amazing, but loses points with me for it's repetitiveness.

The Misadventures of Tron Bonne. This game is downright obscure to the point that I"m pretty sure it's a collector's item now. Still, you get to run around in a mech and shoot things. Oh, and you get to torture lazy Servobots (bless their cute little Lego Man faces). Do not go from playing a PS3 game directly to this one or the PS1 graphics and textures will hit you like a ton of brick.

While we're at it, the original Mega Man Legends was pretty good considering it was released half-finished. It's a shame Capcom decided to abandon the series, as the Legends game showed a ton of potential despite the first one being sold before it was still in Beta, and the other two games being pretty under-the-radar. They were going to release a Legends 3 game, but backed out due to supposed "lack of consumer interest" even though there was a lot of interest in the project. I guess Capcom either hates money or its fanbase.

The Misadventures of Tron Bonne. This game is downright obscure to the point that I"m pretty sure it's a collector's item now. Still, you get to run around in a mech and shoot things. Oh, and you get to torture lazy Servobots (bless their cute little Lego Man faces). Do not go from playing a PS3 game directly to this one or the PS1 graphics and textures will hit you like a ton of brick.

While we're at it, the original Mega Man Legends was pretty good considering it was released half-finished. It's a shame Capcom decided to abandon the series, as the Legends game showed a ton of potential despite the first one being sold before it was still in Beta, and the other two games being pretty under-the-radar. They were going to release a Legends 3 game, but backed out due to supposed "lack of consumer interest" even though there was a lot of interest in the project. I guess Capcom either hates money or its fanbase.

Why thank you for getting that out of the way for me. I quite frankly second. . . everything in this post.

If I had to only recommend one game, I'd probably end up suggesting Grandia II (Dreamcast - Also has PS2 and PC ports, but they're both of lesser quality than the original DC release). It ranks as my personal Number 1 game, though it is slightly dated in most departments outside of the series' staple amazing battle system. (Which, if I had to describe it, I'd say is a cross between the ATB system from Final Fantasy and an SRPG Radial Movement System.)

The story's relatively trope-y (especially compared to its predecessor which is touted as having a significantly better story), but it's enjoyable and most of all, fun. The battle system easily makes you forget about the story's "faults", as once you master it, you never want to leave it. Heck, I'm playing the dungeon crawler side-game Grandia Xtreme solely for the battle system improvements. (Grandia III's system does add some improvements of its own, at the cost of others. Ideally, I'd take Grandia II's system, add in Xtreme's combo attack system and IP Wheel (as opposed to II's IP Gauge), and III's Aerial Combo system and have a system that is the best of all worlds.)

If I were coming up with a full list of underappreciated gems that I enjoy:

• Grandia II (Dreamcast)
  • Power Stone (Dreamcast - Not sure how well-known the series actually is)
  • I'd say Skies of Arcadia, but it was already mentioned and I think it's more well known than this list is for.
  • Castlevania: Bloodlines (Genesis / Mega Drive)
  • Kid Chameleon (Genesis / Mega Drive)
  • Rocket Knight Adventures, Sparkster: Rocket Knight Adventures 2 (Genesis / Mega Drive - Not sure how well-known the series is, given that Rocket Knight came out a few years ago on XBLA/PSN/Steam)
  • Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete, Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete (PlayStation)
  • Drakengard 2 (PlayStation 2 - The original Drakengard is a bit too archaic in places for my tastes, despite 2 being inferior in most aspects)
  • I would second the Growlanser mention, but Growlanser Generations (II + III) didn't draw me in enough to drive me to keep picking it up.
  • Definitely seconding Radiata Stories, though.
  • Dragon Force (Saturn)

Probably could come up with some outlier selections, but it's late and I need to head off. I'll add some more if anyone shows any interest.

If I had to only recommend one game, I'd probably end up suggesting Grandia II (Dreamcast - Also has PS2 and PC ports, but they're both of lesser quality than the original DC release). It ranks as my personal Number 1 game, though it is slightly dated in most departments outside of the series' staple amazing battle system. (Which, if I had to describe it, I'd say is a cross between the ATB system from Final Fantasy and an SRPG Radial Movement System.)

The story's relatively trope-y (especially compared to its predecessor which is touted as having a significantly better story), but it's enjoyable and most of all, fun. The battle system easily makes you forget about the story's "faults", as once you master it, you never want to leave it. Heck, I'm playing the dungeon crawler side-game Grandia Xtreme solely for the battle system improvements. (Grandia III's system does add some improvements of its own, at the cost of others. Ideally, I'd take Grandia II's system, add in Xtreme's combo attack system and IP Wheel (as opposed to II's IP Gauge), and III's Aerial Combo system and have a system that is the best of all worlds.)

If I were coming up with a full list of underappreciated gems that I enjoy:

• Grandia II (Dreamcast)
  • Power Stone (Dreamcast - Not sure how well-known the series actually is)
  • I'd say Skies of Arcadia, but it was already mentioned and I think it's more well known than this list is for.
  • Castlevania: Bloodlines (Genesis / Mega Drive)
  • Kid Chameleon (Genesis / Mega Drive)
  • Rocket Knight Adventures, Sparkster: Rocket Knight Adventures 2 (Genesis / Mega Drive - Not sure how well-known the series is, given that Rocket Knight came out a few years ago on XBLA/PSN/Steam)
  • Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete, Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete (PlayStation)
  • Drakengard 2 (PlayStation 2 - The original Drakengard is a bit too archaic in places for my tastes, despite 2 being inferior in most aspects)
  • I would second the Growlanser mention, but Growlanser Generations (II + III) didn't draw me in enough to drive me to keep picking it up.
  • Definitely seconding Radiata Stories, though.
  • Dragon Force (Saturn)

Probably could come up with some outlier selections, but it's late and I need to head off. I'll add some more if anyone shows any interest.

Would also recommend Grandia II. Highly recommend playing the Dreamcast version. PS2 version is a mess. Lower resolution textures, choppy framerates, sound glitches, slower battle speed, town has some serious slowdowns and textures of the town wont even load sometimes.

My favorite is Grandia Xtreme. I don't enjoy Grandia games just for the story but the battles mainly. Also I enjoy grinding and collecting rare equipments.

Would also recommend Dragon Force. There is a remake of Dragon Force for the PS2 but no English translation. Dragon Force II which is even better allows you to mix troops. There is a partial English translation.

The Misadventures of Tron Bonne. This game is downright obscure to the point that I"m pretty sure it's a collector's item now.

Woah, I'm really surprised to hear this. Without exaggerating, all of my friends know and/or have played Misadventures of Tron Bonne. It's a really fun game though, so if you haven't played it already, go and... procure it... somehow (Shhh) o u o;

Same with Megaman Legends. They're all super fun haha. You can do so many goofy things like attempt to shoot Roll or carry her (Who gets angry and slaps you... iirc?)

Any Department Heaven game. Maybe Riviera: The Promised Land is a good one to point out.

Heavily shrouded, this series. I don't know a whole lot of people who've played it- or actually know of it, or the series it's in.

Riviera's an RPG with a very noticeable twist to it- as every other game in the Dept. Heaven franchise. I'm- not entirly sure how to explain it, but a lot of it differs from your ordinary RPGs, and borrows a lot of aspects from several RPGs. You- don't really have a level, your items have durability, using a weapon/item a certain number of times raises stats- it's really unique.

Got those (referring to all Dept. Heaven games - for those who are curious, the other entries are Yggdra Union, Knights in the Nightmare, and Gungnir).

Hey, I've got Riviera sitting in my house somewhere!

It is a pretty cool game, although I never actually beat. To be perfectly honest, I found it kinda...hard.

For some reason I think grinding is kinda limited (I think once you reach a certain number of uses with a weapon, your stats don't go up any more...and you're constantly grinding because weapons break. Or something like that), so I couldn't even fall back on that to win when tactics failed me. :XD: I think I was about halfway through when I gave up on a tough boss fight. But yeah, it's really fun and challenging.

The part about the grinding isn't quite true, since you get access to training fairly early, and your weapons never wear down in that.

While I enjoyed Tactics Ogre. I enjoyed the Ogre Battle style somewhat more. I think it needs to be revisited sometime ^^;

Only games I've played or seen since it that have a simliar style are. Yu-Gi-Oh the Falsebound Kingdom and Soul Nomad and the World Eaters

I have Falsebound Kingdom, and I like how it plays.

Woah, I'm really surprised to hear this. Without exaggerating, all of my friends know and/or have played Misadventures of Tron Bonne. It's a really fun game though, so if you haven't played it already, go and... procure it... somehow (Shhh) o u o;

Same with Megaman Legends. They're all super fun haha. You can do so many goofy things like attempt to shoot Roll or carry her (Who gets angry and slaps you... iirc?)

Might be a regional thing. It's pretty obscure where I live. I checked Amazon today, and nearly had a stroke when I saw the asking prices. People want $150 used, $750 new for this game. Jesus H. Christ.

I have Falsebound Kingdom, and I like how it plays.

Wow someone else who's played it! I quite liked it. Not to mention the music was wonderful.

One game: Live a Live.

Despite being Jap only, it is like sooper fun.

Live a Live I shall agree with. Quite an interesting RPG, I haven't ever played anything quite like it before or since.

If you're a fan of fighting games and up for a scavenger hunt I suggest Melty Blood. It's your bog standard 2D PS2 fighter in the same style as Street Fighter and Blazblu. The characters are all fantastically fun to play, and what little you can pick up of a storyline is fun too. Unfortunately it was also a Japan only release, although the boys at Mirror Moon translated it flawlessly.

Fire Emblem 2

De Blob 1+2.

I think the soundtrack cd comes with it.

oh and Muramasa:The Demon Sword.

I've played De Blob and Muramasa on Wii; they're both pretty good.

Muramasa actually just had a remake released on PS Vita, so that's good.

Rondo of Swords, an amazing JRPG that has great characters and a unique and well-made battle system. Hard difficulty, and actually requires you to think about your moves and where your opponent will move. Nice skill system that changes with your character's job advances. Check it out, seriously.(There are like 10 gameplay videos on Youtube ;-;)

The first one that came to my head is Gotcha Force.

You wouldn't believe how many hours I sunk into that game. The only reason I'm not now is because my Gamecube memory card keeps corrupting.

Pretty much, you assemble a team of units to battle in missions, beat-em-up style. The plot is a bit bare-bones, but the gameplay is addicting. The soundtrack is also pretty good, from what I can remember.

tron bonne is an anti-emulator game @_@