the RATICATE SOLO thread

dondon151

before there were chumps like furret, linoone, bibarel, and watchog, there was RATICATE

so technically this wasn't really a pure solo because i absolutely hate grinding. my L10 bulbasaur soloed brock and i used my HM slaves later on as death fodder so that RATICATE could reset atk and acc drops by switching out. but aside from that, RATICATE did all of the work.

nzq.png
icdg.png
s2p.png

i probably could have done better than 3:47 because there were a lot of things that could have been optimized better. unfortunately KATIE wasn't in the top percentage of RATICATE (though it did have high atk and spatk IVs).

anyway this thread is hereby dedicated to RATICATE solos (though i kind of want to furret solo HGSS now...).

Edited by dondon151

if i'm actually really bored, i could plan out an entire speedrun

i definitely lost time when i caught a L4 rattata instead of a L5 rattata on route 2 because it took an extra battle to learn hyper fang and an extra battle to evolve into raticate before gary in cerulean city. i derped when i got to celadon city because i originally wanted to buy shadow ball, but i didn't have nearly enough money for even iron tail. i had skipped the star piece in mt. moon and spent a couple of minutes battling gamers for the extra money.

then i decided to buy iron tail before pokemon tower, but i already had pursuit for all 3 of the channelers that i had to fight. i didn't really need iron tail until the giovanni battle in silph co. i ended up not having enough money to keep a consistent stock of hyper potions and repels and had to keep on flying to towns to buy them, since raticate never went to a pokemon center after koga (so she could stay poisoned) and required constant hyper potion uses to not faint outside of battle.

and blizzard was useless. i'm going to skip that next time and tutor raticate double-edge before the E4.

EDIT: wow, i did not know that you could skip the sevii islands sidequest. that took at least like, 12 mins right there.

Edited by dondon151

Guts is my favourite ability in-game, though I don't speedrun Pokemon because slowing down allows to craft funner strats. I also like getting status'd with less threatening stuff like paralysis or burn/poison so that I don't have to worry about being slept.

FR/LG has some stupid AI, so if you're really anal about frames/seconds of your time, you could restart for a long time to get them to conserve your precious frames. Unless it's a single-segment run or smth.

yeah guts is so great; it's what makes this actually not that difficult. i literally did not use a pokemon center after koga and abused guts for the second half of the gym leaders.

anyway would anyone be interested in potentially watching a full optimized speedrun? i think i can cut this down close to 3 hours.

yeah guts is so great; it's what makes this actually not that difficult. i literally did not use a pokemon center after koga and abused guts for the second half of the gym leaders.

anyway would anyone be interested in potentially watching a full optimized speedrun? i think i can cut this down close to 3 hours.

sounds good but speed it up 2x or smth (though you're probably skipping lots of trainers and all that)

i dunno, since most people would only care about the important battles, there's not much point to speeding it up other than to reduce upload time.

If it's a speedrun, I'd be more interested in seeing which trainers you found desirable to fight and which are better off skipped, how many slaves you had and how you caught them to optimise efficiency, and things like that - basically the planning that went into it. Important battles are pretty cool but aren't you, like, OHKOing Lance's entire team after using 2 X Attacks and X Speed for example?

I'd be more interested in a text description of the run (detailing similar things to what Espinosa listed), but that's just me.

Now I feel like trying a Raticate solo on cart.

VIDEOS > TEXT

After all, if a picture is a 1,000 words, then a video has to be like, 5 kajillion words. Every minute.

Edited by Refa

there wouldn't be much to say... really it would just be like

1. get to raticate before rival battle in cerulean

2. avoid non-mandatory battles

3. guts sweep as much as possible

(also everyone... or anyone... else should post their raticate, furret, etc. solos!)

Edited by dondon151

i swear, you guys are like, the only ones.

ME THREE. I have no idea what non-mandatory trainer battles are, and I'm not patient enough to wait for them to turn away before barreling through.

ME THREE. I have no idea what non-mandatory trainer battles are, and I'm not patient enough to wait for them to turn away before barreling through.

For me, if it's one of the trainers that turn around randomly, if I fight them, I fight them. But if it's an easily skippable one, then well...No fight?

95fc11bd7c0f40d641d814f7bfe055b0.png

Pokemon Yellow bootleg for NES? LET'S DO THIS THING!

bb871b8cbeba9cf342f4b5555fdb0e73.png087b60e6d9883fd4374f9250e3e608bb.png

Lookin' good!

9f3190f20790efa1b0e97d4343994063.png

Ha! Take that Brock!

cf4fa9c27f68bb89b7e905e9747c7b2e.png

Gary is...tolerable with a few potions...

8135db87c9e1287c1557a3bb93c5eb93.png

But Misty is no match for the real deal!

a7a78c0aed8572c77b263b14fd364ab6.png

This time, Gary got ERRATICATED!

bf56f287750f36aa3ad030f0e59bcbfe.png

Ouch! Hey wait a minute, that's my move!

0dc58c872aaaaaea14afd3acc1026a0b.png

Even with Surge's triple max potion spam, his Magnemites are tolerable.

d17bff5ac16f6b8dfaab8d0e3671c906.png

OH GOD WHY

7b538ae3b3259d56e568de28af2206be.png

Thunderbolt? gg I quit. : (