Association Football 2016-17: Força Chapecoense.

Parrhesia

A-League roundup

Reigning Australian champions Brisbane, with literally 0 points in 4 games, managed a 4-0 away win against Newcastle. Admittedly Newcastle are utter shit, but still.

Reigning Asian champions Western Sydney now have 0 points in 4 games after weirdly fielding a bunch of reserves against Perth. Perth are kind of shit too, but they won 2-1 and now top the league.

Sydney FC and Melbourne Victory, biggest rivalry in the league, two biggest clubs in the league, played out to a 0-0 draw marked by so many chances and really bad finishing, and also fantastic goalkeeping. Melbourne Victory could've scored in like the 5th minute, but Tunisia international Ben Khalfallah, one on one with the goalkeeper, no defender in sight, passed to someone blatantly offside for no reason. There were about eight Melbourne players out on international duty, and I think three Sydney players. Melbourne could've been 3-0 up in the first half, Sydney got the better of the second.

Adelaide beat Wellington in a match I did not see and don't really care about.

Nobody cares about Melbourne City, but note that they scored two (2) goals without David Villa. They drew 2-2 with the Central Coast.

It's really tight at the top, Perth edging past Sydney, Melbourne Victory and Adelaide, while Brisbane and especially Western Sydney (both obviously tipped to do well) are getting shat on. Perth will fall away, Brisbane will improve dramatically, but I can't see Western Sydney continuing to fight on three fronts (new ACL season, Club World Cup, and A-League) and mounting a title challenge.

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Round 7 update

Western Sydney Wanderers got a draw! Against noted shithouse Newcastle Jets. At home. I didn't see much of it but it sounds like Newcastle got shat on all game and somehow got away with it. Asian champions lmao

Melbourne Victory shat all over Brisbane Roar but only got the one goal. Brisbane manager Mike Mulvey got sacked. Six matches after winning the double lmao joke club 'roarcelona' more like 'badclubcelona' hahaha

Radelaide United beat up Central Coast 2-0. Central Coast are a terrible joke club and had a man sent off and their captain argued with the manager after being substituted, and then sulked down the tunnel. Resident Catalan ogre Josep Gombau has been linked to a Japanese club and I couldn't actually understand his answer when asked about the link.

Perth Glory beat Wellington Phoenix 2-1 in a match that was shit until Ike had to go to work and stop watching. Then Perth scored their second and then had substitute Ruben Zadkovich sent off literally 17 seconds after coming on. Wellington got a dodgy penalty, but largely played like shit and didn't feel like they had a man advantage.

And finally, resident good club Sydney FC beat noted joke shithouses Melbourne Heart 2-1. Shamefully I could barely catch this match since the stream's quality was awful, and so was the commentary. Memetically awful. But Austrian national team captain Marc Janko scored. Twice, I think. And in general we dominated as long as I was watching, so, y'know. Also Sydney's midfielder Dimitrejevic got sent off for literally no reason lol

d5bdf19a9510c4bb71fa67d521053e96.png

western sydney are dogshit

Edited by Parrhesia

Doesnt matter, won Asian Champion's League

they won the acl and literally lost to some part-timers

frauds, all of them

I think they'll recover, though. To come 5th or 6th, or hell, maybe even 4th. Brisbane? Now that they've sacked Mulvey... they're fucked, and I think they'll struggle a lot.

Wow, Valencia's goal against Arsenal was so scrappy that it would put Inzaghi's goals to shame

wasn't even his goal, gibbs just fucked up his entire squad, taking szczeny out of the game too

also di magia lost an unbelievable goal after rooney's. could've make them gunners suffer even more

So unsurprisingly, Messi and Ronaldo stand for main contender of Ballon D'Or, with good old Manuel Neur in third. I really would like to see Neur win it, since he's gone from beast gk to god sweeper/god gk in the past year. However, Ronaldo has, once again, done an amazing job, as well as Messi (Ronaldo's done better imo), so im putting my bets on him winning it this time.

Ronaldo will win again tbh but I hope Neuer does

ANOTHER A-LEAGUE UPDATE literally hang me

Melbourne Victory beat Adelaide United 3-2. Adelaide scored two own-goals, had a direct free kick (that scored) disallowed for basically no reason and then had a penalty given for basically no reason so really it all evens out in the end doesn't it - anyway, all goals were in the first half, since in the second half suddenly the defending was pretty good and the finishing shit as opposed to the converse. Could've really been 5-5.

Brisbane who recently sacked literally the guy who got them to winning the double have signed up some Dutchman with basically no experience. Nobody's entirely sure why. As a result they got their first draw of the season against Perth Glory, who remain top.

Western Sydney hosted Sydney. The Asian Champions are still winless. They continue to be so after drawing 1-1; getting by far the better of the match for the first 60 then significantly worse for the last 30. Sydney have gotten a lot of draws playing like absolute shit tbh.

Newcastle Jets and Central Coast Mariners shat out a damp 1-1 draw and it was dogshit. Sadly I caught that match, while missing...

... Melbourne City get annihilated 5-1 by literally Wellington holy shit hahah.

Finally, though, and most importantly - every single match was preceded by a moment of silence for Phillip Hughes, while a minute of applause in the 63rd minute was observed in every match and across both sets of fans. It happened abroad, too - Reading goalkeeper Adam Federici laid a bat behind his goal, Tim Cahill wore a black armband and dedicated his goal to Hughes, I think Jedinak did too, and I'm fairly sure there were other instances by Australians abroad.

And so;

406c7604b55b5766c27e8b7efa84949f.png

jesus h christ i misspelt the tragically slain man's name, kill me

Edited by Parrhesia

So unsurprisingly, Messi and Ronaldo stand for main contender of Ballon D'Or, with good old Manuel Neur in third. I really would like to see Neur win it, since he's gone from beast gk to god sweeper/god gk in the past year. However, Ronaldo has, once again, done an amazing job, as well as Messi (Ronaldo's done better imo), so im putting my bets on him winning it this time.

I dunno. Messi's 2014 is better to me, even though Ronaldo's 2013/2014 season was better.

I hope Neuer wins this. He is making the goalkeeper position EVOLVE, something that doesn't happen at all.

I hope Neuer wins this. He is making the goalkeeper position EVOLVE, something that doesn't happen at all.

This is a very good point tbh - his imprint on the sport will be massive.

Still, he'll last longer than either Ronaldo or Messi. I think he'll still get the award in his career, I think.

Arselol is shit. One would think that they would be fighting for the goddamn PL but instead it's a fight for the Liverpool Memorial Trophy, also known as the 7th Place Championship.

GODDAMN MANURE MIGHT REACH 3RD PLACE THIS ROUND, BROS.

southampton will make the champion's league I believe

I just really want either southampton or west ham to make it and not choke the second half of the season and have the top 4 just return to chelsea/man c/man u/arsenal

Edited by BBM

Well, guess what's gonna happen? If we don't get the same old top 4 it would be due to Arsenal being shite and not able to be 100% ever. Manure is currently having the devil's luck right now (all the reinforcements for the season are injured and FELLAINI is on the main team), so they are getting enough "fat" for that 3rd or 4th place.

Either way, right now we have way too many teams with similar ammounts of point from 6th to 10th place, and they even ain't far behind from the 4th and 5th places.

club world cup news

l fucking mao

Auckland City, champions of Oceania and literal semi-professional club, have beaten not only the Moroccan champions (in as hosts) but the African champions as well. Holy shit. They're up against the South American champions in the next match.

Western Sydney Wanderers, still winless in the league, were apparently winning 1-0 in the 88th minute before ultimately losing 3-1 after extra time to Cruz Azul. The Wanderers had both centrebacks sent off. fucking betas anyway Cruz Azul (North American champions, from Mexico) face Real Madrid next round.

De Gea's performance against Liverpool at Manchester United's 3-0 victory was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING.

Sterling will have nightmares with the guy.

Champions League draw was announced. Real Madrid got lucky (shalke), and Arsenal got even luckier not to get a better team to play against (Monaco). But Porto got the best pick of all, Basel. Oh, and Man City will be most likely exiting early as usual due to facing Barcelona, who arent exactly at their best, but should still be able to take on Pellegrini's lads. Not having Aguero there will make it considerably harder for man city imo

SHIT draws, I'd say. Real x Schalke and ManCity x Barcelona twice in a row? PSG x Chelsea again??

BASEL X PORTO MONACO X ARSENAL WHAT IS THIS SHIT

Title's between Bayern and Real, no doubt about it.

The important thing about the Club World Cup was that Auckland City, literal semi-professionals, beat the hosts, beat the African champions and were IIRC like a minute away from beating San Lorenzo before losing in extra time. Western Sydney Wanderers lost to Cruz Azul and their pet referee, and tbf they had two or three clear conceded penalties waved away in the second leg of the ACL final, so. They were also playing in a swamp. They also lost a massive penalty shootout (it at least got to goalkeepers taking shots) to the African champions, and thus ultimately finished sixth.

EDIT lmao Auckland then beat Cruz Azul on penalties to finish third. Third. A semi-professional club.

Edited by Parrhesia

Real Madrid have also won the Club World Cup now, much to everybody's surprise im sure. They won against the almighty San Lorenzo in a grueling 90 minute match. Kudos to them i guess

Um, san lorenzo is actually a pretty big club. They won the libertadores this year. I mean, shit, yeah, they're nowhere near the level of real madrid but please. A little respect.

Edit: ftr san lorenzo are shit and cunts though

Edited by fuccboi

It's not like San Lorenzo would fare any better than ANY OTHER SOUTH AMERICAN CLUB RIGHT NOW, RIGHT

Good times when Real Madrid got their asses handed to them by Boca Juniors.

Out of curiosity, which is generally considered the strongest South American league? I'm assuming it's between Argentina and Brazil, but I've never really kept up with the Libertadores.