What was your first RPG game?

Siruppercut

One of the old black and white Pokemon games in the late 90's, but I probably won't count that because I hated it and played so very little of it. Still hate Pokemon. :/

Beyond that I missed out the the genre entirely for the longest time if you don't count Zelda. I think I started to pick it up after I played Chrono Trigger in 2010 I think.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I played some of the Might and Magics/Ultimas back in '94-ish. I want to say my first was PROBABLY Clouds of Xeen (or whichever Xeen MM4 was).

Yup that was MM4. I bought my first PC Pentium 60 and got MM4 and MM5 to make World of Xeen but never manage to beat the game. My first Ultima game was Ultima Exodus on the NES. That game was hard but I manage to beat the game. Got lucky finding the silver pick searching walls randomly. Back in the old days playing games without resorting to a FAQ when your stuck for days usually made me quit playing the game.

People always act like RPGs are solely defined by the existence of a leveling system rather then levels just being a mechanic for a specific aspect of Roleplaying, namely that a character gets stronger through training and experience. What's so special about that mechanic, that it's considered the sole requirement of an RPG? I mean when thoughtlessly implemented, they are just meaningless numbers.

Might as well say that every game with magic is an RPG. Or every game where you can buy stuff. Maybe Mega Man is an RPG, just because enemies drop loot on the floor.

Or is there something else that Zelda 2 has that the other games are missing?

Anyway, in my case it's either Pokemon Blue, Baldur's Gate or Gothic. I find it hard to narrow that down.

For the date, I assume 2001.

Zelda II enemies drops P bags which you can use to level up your life and magic. Your grasping at straws. You can play Poker on several Dragon Quest games, does that make it a card game? Slot machines as well maybe its a gambling game? Final Fantasy VII you can ride a motorcycle racing game? Tekken you can play Galaga while its loading, does it make it a fixed shooter? Persona has guns, it could be a FPS game.

Destiny of an Emperor was my first RPG. I still love it to this day it's pretty unique, it's also part of why I got so into the Three Kingdoms era of China later other then the ROTK and Dynasty Warriors series.

Rebel Force > Song Yong and Song Ren

I always left those 2 worthless generals at the beginning of the game.

Phantasy Star 1 yup

Good times getting lost in the desert planet's first dungeon forever because I couldn't into english back then.

I played the PS2 remake last year when they finished the English translation. It seemed much easier than the SMS version but that was such a long time back to remember.

Rebel Force > Song Yong and Song Ren

I always left those 2 worthless generals at the beginning of the game.

For completionist sake I always grabbed em, it doesn't hurt to have 2 extra leaders right off the bat either ^^;

The Legend of Dragoon. It continues to be my favorite RPG due to it's decent (at least for the earliest sets of RPGs) story and AMAZING FUCKING COMBAT MECHANICS. I have yet to play another game that attempts to copy The Legend of Dragoon, and that makes me very sad. Many don't like the game because of its combat, which baffles me, and its pacing, which is legitimately pretty bad, even then. Characters were extremely interesting, in my opinion.

I would love a remake/redo of this game.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

The Legend of Dragoon. It continues to be my favorite RPG due to it's decent (at least for the earliest sets of RPGs) story and AMAZING FUCKING COMBAT MECHANICS. I have yet to play another game that attempts to copy The Legend of Dragoon, and that makes me very sad. Many don't like the game because of its combat, which baffles me, and its pacing, which is legitimately pretty bad, even then. Characters were extremely interesting, in my opinion.

I would love a remake/redo of this game.

Legend of Dragoon is amazing, I LOVE the additions. Thumbs up man

Aw. Legend of Dragoon. It was a pretty good game from what I remember of it (It also had some really pretty hand painted BGs). And I really liked the female characters, Shana (Or was it Scha...la?) and Rose xD
The battle system was rather fun too. If you liked it you might also enjoy the Shadow Heart games for the PS2. They have the same timed button press thing going on.

You know...

Until now, I never really considered Pokemon as a RPG. It was either Red or Blue, not sure which.

they were owned by my brother and sister, but then they move on.

I remember accidentally erazing my brother's Red Version with all the 150 Pokemon on it. So, the version I played probably was Pokemon Blue.

My first traditional RPG who made me a fan of the genre was Golden Sun, back where it came in Europa.

Anyway, I spend more than half of my life playing RPGs. That's... kinda hard to belive.

I also watched my brother play FFVII on the PlayStation. I remembered he passed me the controllers, but I absolutely sucked at it... I couldn't even see where Clad was...

(BTW, I don't know how I didn't realized Isaac/Vlad was an expy of Clad yet. There's only a letter's difference. I realized Tellah/Tellos/Kraden, because It couldn't be more obvious, but never Vlad/Clad...)

Edited by TendaSlimeKnight Ikkar

It was either Shining Force 2 or Phantasy Star 4, I can't recall, but I experienced them at the same time, in '95

Aw. Legend of Dragoon. It was a pretty good game from what I remember of it (It also had some really pretty hand painted BGs). And I really liked the female characters, Shana (Or was it Scha...la?) and Rose xD

Shana. Schala is from Chrono Trigger

Edited by Soledai

For completionist sake I always grabbed em, it doesn't hurt to have 2 extra leaders right off the bat either ^^;

It hurts just thinking about wasting food on them. Also you get Chen Ding right away so I suppose you could use one of them if you really must.

It was either Shining Force 2 or Phantasy Star 4, I can't recall, but I experienced them at the same time, in '95

Both excellent games. I remember Phantasy star IV costed over $90. The most expensive Sega Genesis game I purchased. Also when you hit level 99, gotta love that stat down glitch.

Legend of Dragoon was a great game.

Both excellent games. I remember Phantasy star IV costed over $90. The most expensive Sega Genesis game I purchased. Also when you hit level 99, gotta love that stat down glitch.

Legend of Dragoon was a great game.

I think the highest level I got to in PS4 was like 84 or something like that, I imagine that the devs never guessed anyone would make it to 99, so they didn't quite make the effort

I am one those people who support the idea of a Legend of Dragoon remake, that game was just too good