Fire Emblem Link Arena Discussion Topic

Espinosa

Things in the Fates meta that look bannable?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. (tick many) What looks bannable in the Fates meta?

• Dragon Ward (Hoshido Noble)
    • Life or Death (Master of Arms)
    • Counter (Oni Chieftain)
    • Darting Blow (Sky Knight)
    • Multiple Amaterasu (Kinshi Knight)
    • Wary Fighter (General)
    • Inspiration (Strategist)
    • Aggressor (Dread Fighter)
    • Galeforce (Dark Falcon)
    • Awakening (Great Lord)
    • Dancing Blade (Lodestar)
    • Ban ALL DLC/Amiibo skills.
    • Other (state what)

okay so forgive me if I sound dumb for this but what exactly does hosting entail aside from taking in teams and rolling for hits and such

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an idea that might be good for a gimmick match. What if instead of rolling RNs, you had two gauges, one for hit and one for crit/skill, that started at 100 and 0 respectively. By default, attacks hit and crits/skills don't proc, but they affect the gauge (e.g. 77% acc causes the hit gauge to fall by 23, 29% crit causes the other gauge to rise by 29, etc.) When the gauges reach 0 or 100 respectively, they roll over (e.g. 77% acc causes the gauge to go from 20 to 97) and either the attack misses, or the crit/skill happens. It's like the bad RN system but it can be manipulated somewhat better.

I just imagined that with Aether failing to activate at 2 range, that I wasn't sure about Deadeye activating at 1 range.

Though, in RD, Deadeye can proc at 1 range with the double bow, so I'd assume so.

That you can proc them while defending? Nihil/Parity users still strike hard, though. A Sniper with a Bright Bow detected can also be safely attacked by another Sniper.

I thought Brightbow was 1-2 range?

I thought Brightbow was 1-2 range?

Yeah, I mean if Bright Bow enemy phase Snipers become commonplace, you will see people sniping them with proper bows because the counter will be laughable in comparison to, say, the Brave Bow or Silver Bow strike or - even worse - a Sage attacking with a tome, eating up the counter with high res (Ike barely takes any damage from Bright Bow, too).

This is why Rexflame is the only valid cut weapon, really. Urvan's +3 res could find some use in some meticulous preparations for surviving a Calill attack or something of the sort, but its hit is low, and axe users mostly worry about surviving Vague Katti and not whiffing in their counter. Boyd mainly. 27 AS Paladins could have some use for the Urvan, idk.

I had an idea that might be good for a gimmick match. What if instead of rolling RNs, you had two gauges, one for hit and one for crit/skill, that started at 100 and 0 respectively. By default, attacks hit and crits/skills don't proc, but they affect the gauge (e.g. 77% acc causes the hit gauge to fall by 23, 29% crit causes the other gauge to rise by 29, etc.) When the gauges reach 0 or 100 respectively, they roll over (e.g. 77% acc causes the gauge to go from 20 to 97) and either the attack misses, or the crit/skill happens. It's like the bad RN system but it can be manipulated somewhat better.

Interesting, that actually reminded me of an idea I had where you get a number pool and expend from it to land hits/crits/skill procs. I'd like to try that!

This sounds interesting but I think you have the numbers the wrong way around. If a 77% accurate hit caused the gauge to fall by 23, then you'd want to use the least accurate weapon you can to drop it more quickly.

why do you want to drop the hit gauge quickly? the slower you drop the hit gauge, the more attacks on average you're performing that hit.

So, maximize those Killer weapons and Effective weapons earlyon, then Silvers later in the match.

...you know, with all the FE9 stuff, it's been forever since there was a battle in one of the GBA games.

So, maximize those Killer weapons and Effective weapons earlyon, then Silvers later in the match.

Sounds interesting, very no-RNG screwage.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone want a match? Custom averages with boosters and skills, cut supports and cut weapons. Dragons banned

Edited by PKL

WRT GBA Link Arena, we really should try out the idea of playing those metagames with the PoR custom skills / masteries. FE8 seems like the best ground for that, with way more useable characters. Not sure what to do about stuff like Pierce or Sure Shot though (could be a sort of mastery?). It's fan fictionish, but I think the importance of supports in the GBA games could lead to a potentially interesting meta.

What would be done, CP wise, about any classes in FE8 that don't have an equivalent in 9? Probably all the mounted ones should get 20, but you also have Myrrh and Rogues running around.

20 CP for mounts would be a nice nerf to Eirika/Ephraim whom dondon is overhyping (imho) as obligatory team members for all. Could cause Gerik to really rise in utility as a foot unit with Garm, though.

The biggest problem is probably adapting the classes to masteries, and there I would suggest - Eirika/Ephraim - Sol, Hero - Astra, Rogue - also Astra, not like anyone cares, Journeyman - Colossus, Recruit - Luna, all caster classes - Flare. Nobody gets Aether this way, which is probably the way to go. Oh, Rangers should probably get Sol as well (Rangers with Deadeye sounds a little bit too much) while all flier classes get Stun. You shouldn't be too willing to bother with any of these skills that way, lol.

We shouldn't be using Myrrh at all, I think (same with Manaketes in the other games). Ena should be all right with the current booster / skill restraints, though.

Edited by Espinosa