Fire Emblem Link Arena Discussion Topic

Espinosa

Things in the Fates meta that look bannable?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. (tick many) What looks bannable in the Fates meta?

• Dragon Ward (Hoshido Noble)
    • Life or Death (Master of Arms)
    • Counter (Oni Chieftain)
    • Darting Blow (Sky Knight)
    • Multiple Amaterasu (Kinshi Knight)
    • Wary Fighter (General)
    • Inspiration (Strategist)
    • Aggressor (Dread Fighter)
    • Galeforce (Dark Falcon)
    • Awakening (Great Lord)
    • Dancing Blade (Lodestar)
    • Ban ALL DLC/Amiibo skills.
    • Other (state what)

the default assumption should be that protection supports in FE9 do not block wrath criticals, instead of them blocking wrath criticals. with no evidence to support either argument, we should refer to the how most closely related mechanic functions.

yesyesyes, and biorhythm too

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.serenesforest.net/fe9/support_bonus.htm

Negating critical

"Some characters can protect another character from enemy critical attacks"

Compared to the description on the LR weapons

"Negates Goddess' blessing & non-Wrath criticals"

Granted, the site could have inconsistent wording. But until it's tested or a more reliable source contradicts it, I would assume Bonds protect against Wrath.

the site does have inconsistent wording all of the time when it comes to ambiguous mechanics. remember when we weren't sure whether wrath/resolve activated if the unit were at exactly 50% HP? additionally, while it can be easily shown that certain weapons do not negate wrath criticals, it is not easily shown that protection bonds do not negate wrath criticals. this is why the wording on the former is less ambiguous than the wording on the latter - do not assume that everything has already been extensively tested.

therefore we should assume the most likely possible mechanic, which is that protection bonds function exactly like the weapons that block criticals, rather than invent a new mechanic.

Edited by dondon151

Despite the site not having a precise description of how skills work (like a detailled description), I think this is far better to be based on evidence, on experiments. How many times haven't we seen Edward Wrath crt Ike+Soren? Now, I don't know exactly if there's a wide difference between PoR's Bonds and RD's Bonds, because RD just grants extra Crt Evade. I may be wrong if such is the case and be free to correct me. Aside from that, it's pretty evident to drafters how Resolve works (if detailed observation, though) that a unit will enter Resolve mode at 22/44 and 22/45, but not in 23/45.

Please no biorhythm

0/10

Where's eficacy? The objective of LA is battle simulating with the game's mechanics. No biorhythm is not reflecting this. Biorhythm is a such an important feature in combat.

edit: besides it's easy to implement it with the site's support (at least FE10's bio).

Edited by Quintessence

It's no harder to check whether support bonds negate Wrath, there's just no reason to because basically no enemies make use of them, whereas two of the hardest bosses use blessed weapons. That said, if the site is known to be unreliable, then I have no other source for it.

We should also look into whether negating bonds are one-way or two-way. I said earlier they were one-way based on the same page, and the +crit bonds are two-way.

EDIT: The problem with biorhythm is it's another factor to constantly calculate. Unlike supports, there's no strategic benefit in including it.

Edited by Baldrick

Then take the examples of Royal's Weapons :/

Regarding bio, it may not contribute huge benefits to the strategic process of team building unlike supports, but at least it affects it in a minor way, apart from affecting combat considerable. Just imagine it in play, differences in a max of 40 hit mean a nice impact on combats (high vs worst and then worst vs high). Though I'm not sure if this is technically possible with a combination between bios working on two turns.

EDIT

Though I admit it will be tough to implement considering ppl forget sometimes about Renewal, Guards and Laguz Gauges

ñ:(

Edited by Quintessence

So, I've created this prototype band system, and here it is:

Unit HP     Str       Mgc    Skl     Spd       Lck      Def      Res    Con
Ike 52(54) 26(26) 11(14) 27(27) 28(28) 20(21) 24(25) 18(19) 9
The number in parenthesis is what the stat will be with a band that boosts that stat (so 14 is Ike's magic with a Mage band). I know there are probably a lot of flaws with this idea, for example, I might have not done the calculations in the way they should be, but I at least wanted to present this.

I suggested a while back that instead of that, we just say:

X may receive up to 4 band-related +1 stat boosts.

Y and Z may receive up to 3 band-related +1 stat boosts.

Etc

But with band flexibility, you aren't necesarrily picking "just one" stat to boost by whatever amount.

Your idea is misleading, that'swhy i don't approve of it

What tools are available to hosts, currently? As in is there stuff a host can use for tracking and presenting information correctly, beyond just copy-pasting the most recent post? Is there something they can shove the stats in and get the damage values out, without needing to do all the calculations by hand?

And if the answer is no to one or either of these, would such tools be potentially useful? I'm not a programmer, but I should be capable of whipping something up in Excel (or google docs), if it would be useful. I would likely start with FE9 as a prototype, and possibly expand it to other games, if people think it's helpful.

Oh and Baldrick and I were looking to possibly do an FE9 averages w/boosters, skills and steal match, if anyone would be willing/able to host. I for one haven't made my team yet, dunno about Baldrick.

Edited by Tables

But with band flexibility, you aren't necesarrily picking "just one" stat to boost by whatever amount.

Your idea is misleading, that'swhy i don't approve of it

Well, the point is each stat is always boosted by a 5% growth, except magic which is 10%. Since this never changes, I figured it would be a convenient way to show band stats. I can see where this would be misleading though.

Exactly. Someone may only opt for say, one speed band growth and two mage band growths (just an example).

What tools are available to hosts, currently? As in is there stuff a host can use for tracking and presenting information correctly, beyond just copy-pasting the most recent post? Is there something they can shove the stats in and get the damage values out, without needing to do all the calculations by hand?

And if the answer is no to one or either of these, would such tools be potentially useful? I'm not a programmer, but I should be capable of whipping something up in Excel (or google docs), if it would be useful. I would likely start with FE9 as a prototype, and possibly expand it to other games, if people think it's helpful.

Oh and Baldrick and I were looking to possibly do an FE9 averages w/boosters, skills and steal match, if anyone would be willing/able to host. I for one haven't made my team yet, dunno about Baldrick.

I myself prefer doing it manually because I like challenging myself to do each round as fast and as good as I can. Not opposed to helping other hosts if they need it though.

Okay, well, I'll look into trying to get one made over the next few days. Once I think I'm done I'll probably want to host a game to give it a proper trial run, which could be anywhere from tomorrow evening to the weekend. So if an FE9 game wants to start sometime next week, give me a buzz.

I made one for my FE7 match, but it wasn't very comprehensive. I would use it in future hosting.

One idea mentioned earlier is the unused supports, I would want to try a team based around them.

I made one for my FE7 match, but it wasn't very comprehensive. I would use it in future hosting.

One idea mentioned earlier is the unused supports, I would want to try a team based around them.

I would like an unused supports battle. II'd need to know what those supports are though. Edited by dragonfang13

Supports

A whole slew of supports were cut from the game:

Stefan/Tauroneo, Sothe/Volke, Astrid/Tanith, Tanith/Volke, Ranulf/Tauroneo, Lucia/Titania, Marcia/Mia, Mist/Tormod, Mist/Volke, Muarim/Stefan, Nephenee/Mia, Oscar/Astrid, Reyson/Ulki, Kieran/Lethe, Gatrie/Bastian, Geoffrey/Kieran, Geoffrey/Bastian, Haar/Sothe, Haar/Ulki, Ike/Zihark, Janaff/Reyson, Janaff/Sothe, Shinon/Mist, Devdan/Makalov, Elincia/Jill, Elincia/Lucia, Elincia/Muarim, Elincia/Nephenee, Elincia/Tauroneo, Boyd/Devdan, Calill/Shinon, Brom/Geoffrey, Brom/Makalov

wow that's more than I thought.

Edited by General Horace