Mafia Headquarters V4

Kaoz

a little bit after i joined i remember someone named mist and i can't believe that was manix like at all

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just a note after all this ends i'm probably gonna try to distance myself from playing mafia for a while.

like i keep taking breaks but it's not working (none of what i'm referring to includes the ongoing game, not until it ends). i always say i'm gonna quit but then i don't and it always ends badly now. and i just received a notice today that two of my poems were accepted into my school's literary magazine and i'm SO STOKED but i'm thinking it would be best then if i focused more on my skills as a writer because it's made me a lot happier the past week. this means i still plan on hosting CM6 and stuff though because i'm gonna write elaborate flavor 8)

Guys I apologize for my impending lack of activity. I'm being evicted on Feb 2 (or 4, but I'm pretty sure it's 2), and I'm working really hard to try to either prevent it with some last minute shenanigans, or to get all of my family's stuff moved out to a safe location. Finding a new place to live is important too! If I seem distracted, it's not because of unusual reasons, it's because of this.

Debt sucks.

So I was looking at the spreadsheet and... why are 15 person games considered 'small'? 15 person is WAY above what I'd consider playing, and I'd think of myself as only really considering small or medium sized games (up to about 12). 14 or 15 person certainly sounds like a large game to me.

Maybe this change was made after a poll or something, but it seems odd to me. I seem to remember the small queue being 12- people and large being 13+, which would make more sense to me.

IIRC It was 14 for a while and mostly had to do with making the small queue actually have games since otherwise very few qualified it which slowed down the large queue.

This might be bullshit though, it was a while ago.

Didn't we have 3 queues at some point? Back then small games were considered 12-, midsized games were 13-17 and large games 18+ or something I think. When we went down to two queues, we just chose 14 as the cutoff; I believe the reason why it was raised though was that Prims argued you could have 4 mafia in a 16p setup but not in a 15p one. That's from memory though, if anyone feels like going through this thread and maybe even the previous one, there should be discussion about it.

I don't think we changed the queue number back down to 2 until it pased hands to multiple people. I think it ended up being pretty redundant with 3 queues anyway

Edited by Reinfleche

Didn't we have 3 queues at some point? Back then small games were considered 12-, midsized games were 13-17 and large games 18+ or something I think. When we went down to two queues, we just chose 14 as the cutoff; I believe the reason why it was raised though was that Prims argued you could have 4 mafia in a 16p setup but not in a 15p one. That's from memory though, if anyone feels like going through this thread and maybe even the previous one, there should be discussion about it.

Maybe you mean 5 mafia? 16 man with 5 mafioso seems reasonable, but 15 man with 5 is less likely balanced. Hard to know for sure though.

Maybe you mean 5 mafia? 16 man with 5 mafioso seems reasonable, but 15 man with 5 is less likely balanced. Hard to know for sure though.

General rule of thumb is that there's a ~3:1 ratio of Town to Scum.

General rule of thumb is that there's a ~3:1 ratio of Town to Scum.

Oh, that's lower than I remember it being. I tended to find the ratio would generally be more like ~27-30% Mafia, or as close as you could get. But okay.

I don't find 4scum in 15p unreasonable as long as there are no ITPs or whatever. I find 4scum in 14p pushing it though.

also keep in mind that ratios tend to be different for OC and NOC

but uh i consider 15 to be "smaller" in that most large games on sf are like 17+ these days. if it were a smaller playerbase then 15 would be pretty big i think. in the end it doesn't matter and is just an excuse to get more games on the small queue

I am going to create and host Tyne-Wear Mafia and it will be incredible. Large game probably.

This goes on the large queue (20 players, IIRC), and may contain bastard elements (it's not a bastard game, though).

Edited by eclipse

it's not a bastard game but could probably be considered experimental/whatever you want to call it so yeah what eclipse said.

Oh, that's lower than I remember it being. I tended to find the ratio would generally be more like ~27-30% Mafia, or as close as you could get. But okay.

Well, a 3:1 ratio is 25% Mafia. The exact ratio should depend on how powerful the factions are, and what/if any Independents are present.

My name can be un-italicized in the OP now that I'm back. Although I'm not sure why I was put on there in the first place considering how much of a shitstorm the last game I hosted was...