Fire Emblem in Smash 4 Thread (2 Non-FE Newcomer Confirmed! An FE Assist Confirmed! 4/8/14)

Naui

139 members have voted

1. 1. What other Fire Emblem Lord would you like to see in Smash as a playable character?

• Alm
    • Sigurd
    • Seliph
    • Leif
    • Roy
    • Lyndis
    • Eliwood
    • Hector
    • Eirika
    • Ephraim
    • Ike
    • Micaiah
    • The Avatar (New Mystery of the Emblem)
    • The Avatar (Awakening)
    • Lucina
    • Chrom

But.. Robin is the reprentation of the player, outside of the villager it completely destroys what we play Smash for. Its characters. Not personal avatars. Pardon the pun

*shrugs* I never really saw Robin as a player Avatar. Aside from their appearance, there isn't much control you have over how they develop. I mean, you can have your avatar marry whoever you want or support with whoever you want, but that's really not much more control than what you have over the other characters in your army.

And no, those "choices" you get to make in the story do NOT make Robin a player avatar.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also to go against your whole. Every other lord would be clones of Marth or Ike comment.

Alm could be Ninja like in movement and speed

Cecllia would be more akin to Zelda

Sigurd/Seilph would probably have their mounts in some way along with Tyfring stuff

Leif can use every single weapon except Dark Magic and has the Light Sword

Roy can use a more unsheathing style with flame projecials and wide sweeps

Lyn, Samurai like

Eliwood Fencer style

Hector all power heavy axe power

Eirika, elegant swordplay with bride stuff

Ephriam has his spinning baton er lance

Micaiah all magic

Also to go against your whole. Every other lord would be clones of Marth or Ike comment.

I was referring to Chrom and Lucina specifically. I've played enough FE to know that most Lords wouldn't be Marth/Ike clones.

Ok then I misunderstood you

Chrom and Lucina certainly have positiblities as well, I mean the cutscene where they fight in the arena has plenty of moves to take inspiration from.

Robin as well, I can admit that despite not liking the thought of the avatar being chosen but thats a personal pet peeve and I apologize for jumping on you about it

Those are items about a year after the game's release, ya know.

Every single freaking promotion I've seen before those items was Chrom Chrom Chrom.

That's why the ad in America featuring Lucina with the mask off was so OFF PUTTING to me.

Every single CM in Japan avoided any allusion to a second playable lord. If anything, "Masked *MARTH*" was the poster "boy/girl"... not "Lucina".

Care to explain why the figma isn't of "Lucina" instead of "Masked Marth"? What about those 1000 yen phone cards? I don't see Lucina on them. I see "Masked Marth".

The character intro featured emphasizing "A mysterious swordsman claiming to be the hero-king of old".

【滅びの運命か、希望の未来か。】 isn't featured with Lucina on the CG movie in the Japanese trailers unlike what they did in the North American rendition where she was shown crying with her mask off...

Or would you like to show us other Japanese materials that feature Lucina as the main face before the release of the Future of Despair DLC, Knights of Iris artbook, and the OST nearly an entire year after the game's release?

Well actually not trying to be rude, but my point is there are reasons for putting Lucina on as the main feature in those materials BESIDES being Awakening's "poster girl".

...and let's face it... on an OST of a CD cover... how many do you NOT see with anime girls on it? Lucina is meant to be appealing and feminine... she's wearing flower headphones to listen to it.

Her promotion in the 2nd Season DLC was... well... fanservice and backstory... backstory which requires her to perform the Awakening. You know, being the face of backstory DLC isn't exactly "POSTER GIRL" material. In fact, the Awakening 2013 calendar... which pretty much is a poster, doesn't have any trace of her without that mask.

And the Knights of Iris? Being "Masked Marth"... what is the character design behind her?

She may barely be more popular than Chrom when it comes to being waifu'd/husbando'd, but she's not the face of Awakening in Japan.

If you feel like I'm slandering your favorite 2nd gen Awakening character as Awakening's poster girl, please feel free to refute me by showing things similar to what they were doing in America. But until then, don't just use two images that happen to have her as the main feature as justification that they did the same thing.

I really do apologize, but Lucina tends to strike a nerve with me with her fans. She is a main character... and that role may qualify inclusion in smash... but she isn't *THAT* important. The fans who predicted that Marth of all people will be replaced by her REALLY has made me sensitive to any ongoing praise makes her seem more important that she really is. i.e. people that waifu her.

You're all scrubs. You should have married a secondary non important character like I did.

I usually marry Cherche if I have the choice. I really don't ever marry Lucina. I tried it once but it was very disappointing.

Thanks for the rant. I didn't really look into Awakening until it came to the U.S. for fear of spoilers. But being on the cover of something is literally being the poster girl. So I stand by my statement. The way I explain it on Smash Boards is that these items are for fans of the game itself. I don't think advertising would feature Lucina because she would be a spoiler. But when given a chance to sell something for the fans, they put Lucina's mug on the screen. There are plenty of artbooks for different anime and video games that don't prominently feature females, so I think that's a bad argument. She still on there because she's one of the game's main characters.

And as a Lucina advocate, I have always called for her inclusion as a third rep. I know it's easy to group supporters together, but that's like grouping those who want Roy as the third rep and those who want Roy to replace Ike. Certainly there were more Lucina supporters calling for that, but that's still no reason to take that out on someone else.

I think the problem people have with naming Fire Emblem reps is they continually compare it to other series in Smash. As a generational series, there are really no other comparisons aside from Pokemon, Mother, and now Pikmin (which just became generational). Mother has has 3 unique installments, as opposed to Fire Emblem's 11. Most people think it would be weird to feature the deuteragonist or tritagonist before the main protagonist, but Fire Emblem can be represented different than other series. Others series regular feature tritagonist, like Mario or Zelda. It wouldn't be weird for Robin or Lucina to be included over Chrom for this reason, considering Fire Emblem already has at least one main protagonist (Marth). There is no rule for main protagonists of Fire Emblem taking precedence, as all the current reps are solo main protagonists in their respective games (FE1, FE6, and FE9). Remember, Ike is based off FE9.

Robin as well, I can admit that despite not liking the thought of the avatar being chosen but thats a personal pet peeve and I apologize for jumping on you about it

Not liking Robin for being an avatar would be akin to not liking the villager for that reason. The avatar character is an important part of the FE series since its introduction in FE12. It would represent the series well.

Edited by Viewtiful_J

[11/9/13 5:36:33 PM] Boron: So Lucina in Japanese representation of Awakening

[11/9/13 5:36:43 PM] Boron: Is really not that big of a ... well, not as big?

[11/9/13 5:36:48 PM] shadowofchaos725 (Rey): no

[11/9/13 5:36:54 PM] shadowofchaos725 (Rey): she's featured in the OST

[11/9/13 5:36:57 PM] shadowofchaos725 (Rey): and Knights of Iris book

[11/9/13 5:36:59 PM] shadowofchaos725 (Rey): but that's it.

[11/9/13 5:37:08 PM] shadowofchaos725 (Rey): All of the other Japanese goods I have.

[11/9/13 5:37:09 PM] shadowofchaos725 (Rey): Chrom.

[11/9/13 5:37:52 PM] shadowofchaos725 (Rey): "You're looking at it in the perspective of the westerner looking at the goods."

[11/9/13 5:40:21 PM] shadowofchaos725 (Rey): "Poster Girl"

[11/9/13 5:40:25 PM] shadowofchaos725 (Rey): They don't even have Lucina as a poster.

[11/9/13 5:40:28 PM] shadowofchaos725 (Rey): THey have Chrom as a poster.

[11/9/13 5:40:30 PM] shadowofchaos725 (Rey): I have it

[11/9/13 5:42:11 PM] shadowofchaos725 (Rey): Actually clarify that

[11/9/13 5:42:16 PM] shadowofchaos725 (Rey): The poster art is of Chrom and MU

[11/9/13 5:42:19 PM] shadowofchaos725 (Rey): the same as the calendar.

[11/9/13 5:46:08 PM] shadowofchaos725 (Rey): gimme a sec

[11/9/13 5:48:30 PM] shadowofchaos725 (Rey): http://i.imgur.com/QU2OT5w.jpg

[11/9/13 5:48:41 PM] shadowofchaos725 (Rey): DS for size comparison

Edited by Sangyul

I have no illusion that he has a great shot at getting in at this point, but I'd still love to see how Hector could play, at least in gameplay terms.

There are characters in the smash series that can fuck up shields pretty well, but I don't remember a lot of characters being built to do that through actually breaking it. I'm imagining Hector generally dealing nasty (shield) stun with minimal pushback (or at least little enough that it doesn't push them away from his onslaught).

envisioning an up+B that apes his ingame attack, meant to catch somebody jumping away with a nasty finisher, and a side+B that can get him out of hitstun early when sent flying (and start falling faster, for survivability)

roy done right

Edited by Rehab

Not liking Robin for being an avatar would be akin to not liking the villager for that reason. The avatar character is an important part of the FE series since its introduction in FE12. It would represent the series well. Vastly different actually, animal crossing has no central main character. It is also known for being a town you live in and to enjoy from your perspective

Fe is known for its characters not its customizable characters. It would be just as disgusting as a Mii being playable.

Edited by Jedi

Vastly different actually, animal crossing has no central main character. It is also known for being a town you live in and to enjoy from your perspective

Fe is known for its characters not its customizable characters. It would be just as disgusting as a Mii being playable.

Hate to burst your bubble here, but regardless of Robin being customizable (which isn't even much, since its only his appearance and voicing, actually, voicing could very well work against him here, so I'll give you that point), he/she still IS a character when it all comes down to it. You might be taking the whole self-insert thing too seriously. Not to mention FE is a strategy game and what better person to display that than an actual Tactician? He/She may not be a Lord, but its the second best thing in importance in war and the class itself is still his/her own that plays a pivotal role in Awakening. In terms of an Awakening character, Robin shows to be the best possible choice, due to being the most unique. If Robin does, I still hope it is as a way to incorporate the pair up and support system by being a duo with Chrom. it's make a unique character choice among the FE roster at least.

Though, I do see where you are coming from with having a character thats NOT a lord make it into smash, when there are other lords who didn't even get a chance. The only way Robin could ever get in is if he/she makes it with Chrom, which I'm crossing my fingers for, if we get an Awakening character.

Getting off of that, I'd still be rooting for Roy and/or Ike to make their return, but among the other lords, I'd pick Alm for Dreadfighter or Ephraim for Lances

Edited by Hero-King

[11/9/13 5:36:33 PM] Boron: So Lucina in Japanese representation of Awakening
[11/9/13 5:36:43 PM] Boron: Is really not that big of a ... well, not as big?
[11/9/13 5:36:48 PM] shadowofchaos725 (Rey): no
[11/9/13 5:36:54 PM] shadowofchaos725 (Rey): she's featured in the OST
[11/9/13 5:36:57 PM] shadowofchaos725 (Rey): and Knights of Iris book
[11/9/13 5:36:59 PM] shadowofchaos725 (Rey): but that's it.
[11/9/13 5:37:08 PM] shadowofchaos725 (Rey): All of the other Japanese goods I have.
[11/9/13 5:37:09 PM] shadowofchaos725 (Rey): Chrom.
[11/9/13 5:37:52 PM] shadowofchaos725 (Rey): "You're looking at it in the perspective of the westerner looking at the goods."
[11/9/13 5:40:21 PM] shadowofchaos725 (Rey): "Poster Girl"
[11/9/13 5:40:25 PM] shadowofchaos725 (Rey): They don't even have Lucina as a poster.
[11/9/13 5:40:28 PM] shadowofchaos725 (Rey): THey have Chrom as a poster.
[11/9/13 5:40:30 PM] shadowofchaos725 (Rey): I have it
[11/9/13 5:42:11 PM] shadowofchaos725 (Rey): Actually clarify that
[11/9/13 5:42:16 PM] shadowofchaos725 (Rey): The poster art is of Chrom and MU
[11/9/13 5:42:19 PM] shadowofchaos725 (Rey): the same as the calendar.
[11/9/13 5:46:08 PM] shadowofchaos725 (Rey): gimme a sec
[11/9/13 5:48:30 PM] shadowofchaos725 (Rey): http://i.imgur.com/QU2OT5w.jpg
[11/9/13 5:48:41 PM] shadowofchaos725 (Rey): DS for size comparison

As I said, I don't make much of big deal of the lack of Lucina promotion. She's a spoiler, it makes sense she's kept a secret. I think she is fairly promoted in proportion to her role. And in six or seven years, when we look back, I figure that she will end up similar to the lords of FE7. How is that? Well, who was the main lord of FE7. From what it looks like now, you'd think that the whole game was Lyn Mode.

BTW, I don't see any difference in promoting Lucina and Masked Marth. It's still promoting the same characters. So Lucina is still on the cover of Fire Emblem Awakening, for example. I don't see pictures of Sheik in OoT and somehow disconnect that from Zelda's central role in the game. Masked Marth is the spoiler free version of promoting Lucina.

Are tritagonists in Smash? yes. Is Lucina a tritagonist? Yes. Can she be in Smash? Certainly, there's already a Fire Emblem main character in Marth.

Not liking Robin for being an avatar would be akin to not liking the villager for that reason. The avatar character is an important part of the FE series since its introduction in FE12. It would represent the series well.

Vastly different actually, animal crossing has no central main character. It is also known for being a town you live in and to enjoy from your perspective

Echoing off what others said, Robin actually does have a personality and is an actual character. Even though your own avatar's looks, voice, and actions change, his/her personality or dialogue does not. And his/her role in the story does not.

And the Avatar character has become a part of the series. The entirety of Fire Emblem Awakening was enjoyed from your perspective, literally. Just because individuals may not personally like avatar characters doesn't mean they aren't part of the series. Supports didn't exist until FE6, but they were a staple basically by FE7. It doesn't take long for some gameplay element to become a staple of the series.

My comparison to Animal Crossing was because if you took AC: New Leaf and Fire Emblem: Awakening, and you compared the role of the game's respective avatar characters, you would see that there's a lot in common between the two. The Avatar character is essential to Awakening, and if Sakurai seeks the newest rep from the most recent Fire Emblem games (as he did with Brawl), the Avatar would be worthy rep to represent Fire Emblem Awakening. For that reason, Robin would also be worthy rep for the series.

Edited by Viewtiful_J

They should totes have Master Knight Leaf in. He can use every weapon, most unique FE character evar!

I reckon the FE7 lords would be the most fun to play. Imagine the raw power of Hector, the speed of Lyn, and the marthesque mediocrity of Eliwood.

Hahahahaha, that describes Eliwood perfectly.

Wow I had no idea Robin had such support. No matter how mqny of you gang up on me I still don't like thr idea personally. But I suppose I am alone on that.

@Viewitful. Supports actually started in FE4 techically, then grew in FE5, then got made standard in FE6, then refined in later games. Like FE9. So it actually was a long process.

Support avatar all you guys want maybe disgusting was a strong word but thats how I feel on the matter and hell I love Awakening lol

Edited by Jedi

Wow I had no idea Robin had such support. No matter how many of you gang up on me I still don't like the idea personally. But I suppose I am alone on that.

@Viewitful. Supports actually started in FE4 techically, then grew in FE5, then got made standard in FE6, then refined in later games. Like FE9. So it actually was a long process.

Support avatar all you guys want maybe disgusting was a strong word but thats how I feel on the matter and hell I love Awakening lol

Didn't really mean to gang up on you there, so my bad on that part.

The bolded is ironic, cause I'm the only one that actually voted for him

Didn't really mean to gang up on you there, so my bad on that part.

The bolded is ironic, cause I'm the only one that actually voted for him

Well I just feel I am alone in totally disliking the idea, no matter the votes. A magic swordsmwn would be cool for smash though, I would just like different ones :P (Not even from FE I might add) but I suppose you lot are right, robin has potienal. I guess I am still bitter over constant fe character arguements on various sites. Like if I even say I want Roy I usually get outright mocked. Much like wanting Sonic back or wanting him in brawl. I ended up taking it out on a possibly cool unique fighter I apologize

Also side note my phone likes to make me typo haha.

Well I just feel I am alone in totally disliking the idea, no matter the votes. A magic swordsmwn would be cool for smash though, I would just like different ones :P (Not even from FE I might add) but I suppose you lot are right, robin has potienal. I guess I am still bitter over constant fe character arguements on various sites. Like if I even say I want Roy I usually get outright mocked. Much like wanting Sonic back or wanting him in brawl. I ended up taking it out on a possibly cool unique fighter I apologize

Also side note my phone likes to make me typo haha.

If you want a magic swordsman, i reckon a Sage like pent would hit the mark. he could have a see through etherial sword a la skyrim. Im not keen on the idea of Robin either, mostly due to his/her lack of definite personality and a face.

As I said, I don't make much of big deal of the lack of Lucina promotion. She's a spoiler, it makes sense she's kept a secret. I think she is fairly promoted in proportion to her role. And in six or seven years, when we look back, I figure that she will end up similar to the lords of FE7. How is that? Well, who was the main lord of FE7. From what it looks like now, you'd think that the whole game was Lyn Mode.

BTW, I don't see any difference in promoting Lucina and Masked Marth.

There is quite the big difference there in Japan at least. A reference to Marth to people who haven't played the game? "Get this game."

I don't actually give a damn whether or not she is in Smash. Saying she's the "poster girl" means that you foremost associate the game to that character.

Spoiler or not, like your statement of the Legend of Zelda for Sheik... they may have a central role, but from Japan's perspective, you're playing up Lucina's importance and role. There has been an established "Link" haha, to main characters... so Zelda and Link being promotional characters is a given.

"Masked Marth" is just that... the link to what people already know.

Awakening? Lucina is a spoiler character. You're saying "She's a spoiler, so she gets special treatment as the poster character." No, because people who haven't played the game but have heard of it immediately identifies it with Chrom. Just like how people identified FE with Marth immediately in the west before it came out here.

Poster character for FE7? All three lords. Because all are identified with the game equally regardless of story progression.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I know it's unlikely, but I think Anna being in would be cool. She's been in more FE games than anyone else, and a magic sword based move set would be rather unique.

Truthfully, having Anna as a character could serve as comic relief, while being the god tier, horribly overpowered goddess character that'll outclass even Meta Knight

I'm not against the idea, though its highly unlikely

Edited by Hero-King

I like the idea of the Awakening Avatar being playable (as either gender, like the Wii Fit Trainer appears to be). It would be way better and more unique than Chrom or Lucina. I'm surprised people went as far as to say Lucina should replace Marth, let alone playable at all. Lucina is better off being either an assist trophy or a Marth costume, imo. Chrom and her together as a tag team would work though.

I mean, people say that Ike is just another blue-haired swordsman, but Lucina is also just another blue-haired sword user and even a Marth look-alike, and nobody says anything about that. So what if she's female, the female Avatar would be more unique, yet still female. I'd rather have her than either Chrom or Lucina.

If you want a magic swordsman, i reckon a Sage like pent would hit the mark. he could have a see through etherial sword a la skyrim. Im not keen on the idea of Robin either, mostly due to his/her lack of definite personality and a face.

I would like Isaac from Golden Sun for our magical swordsman, as much as I like Pent he is faaar from my favorite character in fe7 or fe in general :P

I would like Isaac from Golden Sun for our magical swordsman, as much as I like Pent he is faaar from my favorite character in fe7 or fe in general :P

Better idea. Much better!