QOTD Thread II - 420 - Favourite question so far?

Parrhesia

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't think of an instance I've liked.

Not even when Wayne or Garth talked to the camera? Or when Ed O'neil talked to the camera and Wayne says only he and Garth can talk to the camera? :(:

Only on some occasions, such as when it would be shit-wreckingly hilarious

Indeed.

Im ok with fourth wall breaks or leaning on it in certain instances. In super serious stories, no wai, but in comedies and satires, oh bring it on!

When it's not overdone it is actually pretty hilarious to see. Some do it in a stylish way like Marvel's Deadpool. If you do it in something that is to be taken seriously then it actually can work as proven by Metal Gear. But not when it's done too much, because that can hurt the overall experience.

I prefer two forms:

1. Outright parody - make it as disgustingly obvious as possible

2. Subtle - as in, it doesn't break immersion (Pokemon's tutorials are an example of how NOT to do it)

Favourite remake: Final Fantasy I (Remade for the GBA). Great game made even better on the GBA system. I put all kinds of time into that thing.

Fourth wall: Usually unacceptable. Okay in some instances for comedy. A good thing in a handful of instances such as House of Cards. Never seen an acceptable second attempt. Supernatural, that means you.

Edited by Makaze

Discworld says yes, and is in a class of its own.

In general, yes, so long as it's done well and is appropriate to the work.

Not even when Wayne or Garth talked to the camera? Or when Ed O'neil talked to the camera and Wayne says only he and Garth can talk to the camera? :(:

Never seen that.

I just mean, I don't think it's a bad thing in general. I just can't remember any examples I might have liked. But then Euklyd posted Discworld so.

'no' says parrhesia sternly and then people post noted Good Things monkey island/house of cards/discworld/probably some other shit

well that's egg on my face lol

I think it's better if you're the kind of gift giver who either knows the person receiving the gift to give them something they will like - especially when you are the kind of gift giver who can scrounge something up that the person never knew they wanted, but enjoy upon receiving. But if you're not, I don't see much difference between giving a gift card and giving hard cash - and I think both are acceptable.

Edited by Severlan