QOTD Thread II - 420 - Favourite question so far?

Parrhesia

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually grammatically correct

Um, no. That's a common misconception.

'They' is a plural pronoun, and 'their' is the possessive version of it. Ergo, using 'their' to refer to any singular person is not correct.

Well shit what do I know

yeah i mean

a legitimate grammatical fix to something english is sorely lacking, man

terrible

I get the feeling this is probably mocking me in some way, but I seem to lack the intellect to know what exactly it is .__.

Edited by BANRYU

Um, no. That's a common misconception.

'They' is a plural pronoun, and 'their' is the possessive version of it. Ergo, using 'their' to refer to any singular person is not correct.

I get the feeling this is probably mocking me in some way, but I seem to lack the intellect to know what exactly it is .__.

1: it is literally on wikipedia. it is not a common misconception, it is contentious

2: i'm mocking you for having a bad opinion, there's nothing to read into it. don't worry.

It's mocking you because you are incorrect about the singular usage of "their" being incorrect. It is the gender-neutral variant of "his" or "her" in that context and is much more suitable than assuming someone's gender.

Edited by Kaname

It seems to me like a relatively simple/benign way to adapt a term such that it can indicate possession without indicating gender, but I guess that's a function of it being your pet peeve, and not mine

wowAl could you not interrupt me while I'm posting thx god

Edited by Rehab

1: it is literally on wikipedia. it is not a common misconception, it is contentious

2: i'm mocking you for having a bad opinion, there's nothing to read into it. don't worry.

well shit yo it's not my fault they taught me wrong in school. =___=

I guess you could say it's my fault for being too trusting and not looking shit up OTL

Edited by BANRYU

• "I seen that!"

unironic use of the word hunty or henny

unironic use of the phrase "That's so kawaii"

unironic use of the phrase "That's so kawaii"

that would seem very surreal to me to hear that in real life

Edited by Tryhard

• unironic use of the phrase "That's so kawaii"

blow me

EDIT: kawaii is life

Edited by Michael Hurst

blow me

EDIT: kawaii is life

youre my exception i cling to every word you say

"thats so sweet I'm gonna get diabetes!!!!" and any statement like it since I have to deal with ignorant masses that legit believe this when in reality its a result of shitty genetics and nowhere near as easy to deal with like the themepark version you often see in media will lead you to believe

People who casually use the word rape in sentences (eg. "man I totally raped that n00b in todays match XDDD")

"man up" and any phrase like it since associating being tough as masculine is a bad thing to do and should be gender-neutral

Come to think of it I probably have a whole laundry list of phrases I hate whoops I should probably stop here

I also hate seeing people complain about the "friend-zone".

Oh, also this

People who casually use the word rape in sentences (eg. "man I totally raped that n00b in todays match XDDD")

Definitely this. Can't think of anything else off of the top of my head.

Me too

I guess I'm so repulsed by it that I just blocked it out of my mind when I read this topic

"man up" and any phrase like it since associating being tough as masculine is a bad thing to do and should be gender-neutral

Someone came up with a gender-neutral alternative to that

"Tank up"

I thought that was p cool

Edited by Thor Odinson

"the struggle is real." what struggle? you're in the 10th grade.

Legitimate struggles aren't limited to adults ;/

kids making car noises coughMYBROTHERcough

Anything from the internet language used IRL. The only exception is 'expected/10.'

I'm p sure if I heard stuff like 'Man up' or 'Being Friendzoned' I'd want to punch people who say that. Luckily none of my friends are like that. :3