Why does everyone hate Tellius now?

Logience

It's funny because I went through 7 years of FE fandom activity without seeing a single anything about shipping ever and then suddenly this year it's all the rage

Awakening.

You're right, but Geoffrey is also someone I just don't want to leave single, regardless of my dislike of him. I can't explain it, really.

I guess I don't understand your dislike for him as anything other than 'he is in the way of my preferred pairing.'

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I found him rather boring before I became such a big Ike x Elincia fan. I also found some of his dialogue in RD to be really corny. I also think he's too similar to Kent in FE7, whom I found boring as well aside from his facepalm in that one scene. :P

I wanted to like Geoffrey, I really did. Why? Three words: good-looking knight. I love cavalier knights, I generally think they're awesome. But Geoffrey's lack of personality didn't really do anything for me. All I can see is that he's your generic chivalrous knight. I'm a fan of chivalry, but there's really nothing else to him. He seems afraid to speak his mind at times, but that just makes me want to call him a wimp. xP

So I wrote a lot of him to to make him more likable. I dug into his past and his relationship with Lucia and Elincia and gave him more characteristics, both good and bad. I totally love the guy with the ideas I came up with. I impressed myself, even. :P

Edited by Anacybele

Ana, you don't love Geoffrey for him. You love your idealized version of him, which is not Geoffrey.

True. It's another version of Geoffrey that I came up with, though I didn't change anything about his chivalry and whatnot. But so what? People do things like this all the time in fanfiction.

Edited by Anacybele

True. It's another version of Geoffrey that I came up with. But so what? People do things like this all the time in fanfiction.

There's nothing wrong with it, but whatever you imagine your idealized version of Geoffrey to be isn't canon. I feel that you have idealized versions of Ike, Elincia, Geoffrey, Ranulf, and other Tellius characters, and you try to argue pairings using portrayals of characters no one else shares and expect them to agree with it.

Edited by Sangyul

Well, maybe that's true. But the thing is, I also try to keep everyone in character anyway, regardless of what else I do with them in my writing. The exception being a scenario where something actually realistically causes their usual characteristics to change. An illness, or perhaps even a magic spell can do this.

Well, maybe that's true. But the thing is, I also try to keep everyone in character anyway, regardless of what else I do with them in my writing. The exception being a scenario where something actually realistically causes their usual characteristics to change. An illness, or perhaps even a magic spell can do this.

I kind of feel that there are a significant number of people who disagree on how well you manage to keep certain characters in-character. I mean, it's your story and it's for your enjoyment, so I'm not going to tell you how to write characters if you want to write them that way, just I'm not exactly sure how much people agree with the choices that some of the characters make and how true they are to the original personalities.

The Tellius games aren't really hated. Their sales being bad is just a fact that can't be denied, that is relevant to what the future games of FE will be.

Now, can we not talk about Ike/Elincia?

Edited by Baldrick

The Tellius games aren't really hated. Their sales being bad is just a fact that can't be denied, that is relevant to what the future games of FE will be.

Now, can we not talk about Ike/Elincia?

^ this, holy crap this got off topic fast during my homework and sleep breaks.

with that said, it would be cool to get portable versions of FE9 and 10

I kind of feel that there are a significant number of people who disagree on how well you manage to keep certain characters in-character. I mean, it's your story and it's for your enjoyment, so I'm not going to tell you how to write characters if you want to write them that way, just I'm not exactly sure how much people agree with the choices that some of the characters make and how true they are to the original personalities.

Huh, I've only heard complaints from a few people (and I do understand why they felt the way they did, though I didn't figure it out for awhile). But then again, there's nothing that says there aren't others who haven't said anything.

And I apologize for the derailment. I never intended for it to go this far. >_<

What derailment? This thread is to talk about why people hate Tellius. If people hate the Tellius games because pairings, why shouldn't it be discussed here?

Huh, I've only heard complaints from a few people (and I do understand why they felt the way they did, though I didn't figure it out for awhile). But then again, there's nothing that says there aren't others who haven't said anything.

And I apologize for the derailment. I never intended for it to go this far. >_<

People being cheesed off because Radiant Dawn did something unexpected with their favorite pairings is a valid thing to discuss if we're talking about why people (allegedly) hate Tellius. Hell, I've brought this up in other fora, but a lot of fans in Japan were really, really not happy with the pairings that were made "canon" by FE5. And were vocal about it.

But if you're going to accuse the game writers of getting the characters wrong because of shipping and offer up your own personal vision of the characters as somehow more accurate (which is the impression I keep getting), then yeah, things are going to get derailed, especially when your fanfiction (again, in my personal opinion) is really not in-keeping with the characters in the game.

As for me, I dislike Tellius because of the furries.

This thread is to talk about why people hate Tellius. If people hate the Tellius games because pairings, why shouldn't it be discussed here?

Bolded: Read the OP. This topic is actually about why people's opinion has apparently changed over time. Unless they only just realised this game has no pairings, it's going off-topic.

It could be argued that Ana's first post was technically on-topic but all replies to it are most definitely not. I wouldn't mind except it's been brought up in several different threads. Could we please keep all discussion of the pairing to a single thread?

Better idea: people will stop talking about it being de-railed. Report if you have a problem with de-railing.

As for what is or isn't de-railment, the OP is scarce and vague enough that anything relating to dislike of Tellius should be considered to be on-topic.

As for regular endings, I hated Gatrie's, Ike's, and Mist's in particular. Gatrie never marries? GATRIE of all people? That stinks. I can't see Ike leaving everything behind forever. He called the mercenaries his FAMILY for gods' sake. As for Mist, I can't see her being happily alone with Ike gone and the mercenaries broken up. She'd just be, well, very lonely. She never seemed like the type that enjoyed being alone. These endings all seem out of character to me.

Now I feel sad for Mist. That's really sad, how the GMs break up...

Exactly, I felt so bad for Mist too. :(

But if you're going to accuse the game writers of getting the characters wrong because of shipping and offer up your own personal vision of the characters as somehow more accurate (which is the impression I keep getting), then yeah, things are going to get derailed, especially when your fanfiction (again, in my personal opinion) is really not in-keeping with the characters in the game.

Er, that's not what I meant. I'm not saying that Geoffrey can't be devoted and chilvalrous or Elincia can't love Crimea a lot. I'm trying to ADD to the characters rather than change them.

I'm not saying I got them perfectly in character in my fic either. Nothing is perfect, after all, and when I started that story, I was still kind of a novice. So I'm not surprised if I made a few errors.

I also agree with RFoF. As of this post, I'm done with the pairing/fanfic discussion. Fans seem to be divided on RD, actually. They appear to either love it or hate it.

Edited by Anacybele

if Shinion gets the Double Bro, does that mean they can make a peach garden oath swearing to die to on the same day of the same month of the same year?

who else would be his sworn brother though other then gatrie?

The world needs a Shinon halfbody with a Guan Yu beard.

*When Shinon gets the Double Bro*

Ike: What the heck!? Shinon's better than me, now!

Tibarn: Me too! And I'm not even the best, in my part of the game!

Moral of the story: If Shinon had actual 1-range (not count crappy Crossbows), he would probably be better than Haar and DEFENITELY better than Ike.

I usually used Rolf as my Archer of choice in Tellius. Either way, the double bow was one of my favorite things in RD.

Edit: Though Leonardo is a given, always him, but the second one that gets the double bow is Rolf.

Edited by Maerk

One would have to be lying to say that the best part of FE10 isn't when Shinon gets the Double Bro.

if Shinion gets the Double Bro, does that mean they can make a peach garden oath swearing to die to on the same day of the same month of the same year?

who else would be his sworn brother though other then gatrie?

I wasn't gonna post in this topic, but these posts, lol...

Rolf... maybe?

But, I haven't seen any hate for Tellius outside of RD Ike; for some reason, Micaiah; fairly understanable, and some dislike for part 4...

Sincerely, I'd say it's RD who gets the unnecessary hate, not PoR.

That one is well liked and beloved by many, but I remember RD got a lot of flak back when it was released because it had no supports, because it forced too many units, because Micaiah was a Mary sue, et cetera... the usual complaints.

The negative reviews were very common, so me and my sis only tried the game one year ago, because at first we were afraid to be disappointed by it, since we loved PoR so much (and there have been other series that disappointed us; we didn't want to get a similar heartbreak, lol). Regardless, playing it was a good idea, as you can see from my profile, hehe.

TBH, I think the dislikes for RD might be less nowdays, but it's still regarded as one of the most controversial games and polarizing games in the series; I've seen so few people with a medium opinion on it: you either love it or you hate it, for the most part.

Like, the general opinion of its plot is either "It's the best in the series!" or "It sucks really badly!", and the complaints on the gameplay can get really overheated (Dawn Brigade No Daiboken!).

Regardless, I think Awakening might be in the process of being the most hate-it-or-love-it game in the series, so maybe RD won't have that throne anymore.

Regardless, I think Awakening might be in the process of being the most hate-it-or-love-it game in the series, so maybe RD won't have that throne anymore.

The worst part is because Awakening's love/hate stems from either story, pairings, or a combination of both.

...mostly because of MU too.

Quoting:

I'm not fond of making your avatar desirable to everyone

And I read a fanfic about "the girls who would've had Chrom if it weren't for Robin" and "the men who were rejected by Robin"

It's like...

Fuck, you're not that special

Though in regards to the waifu/husbando simulator part, this gif sums it up:

zcn3dj5.gif

RD Tellius might have had the other end of the spectrum of "no supports, I hate the characters and how dumbed down they are"...

But Awakening has the factor that make people emotionally attached or lack of the ability to. And in so doing, end up loving it to death, or hating it.

Edited by shadowofchaos