Why does everyone hate Tellius now?

Logience

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy crap, Rey. Where did you get that.

Uhh... kinda off topic... the source I got it from on Youtube was taken down but... I gif'd part of that...

On topic, I kinda... dislike (?) RD?

I mean sure the gameplay and length was nice and satisfied me for a long while...

But the story was really... lacking in execution. Mostly Part 4.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Yeah, I liked the Tellius' series gameplay, but for some reason the characters and story didn't appeal to me at all. Can't put my finger on why, though.

It could also come from the fact that I have less opportunity to play console games, as everyone hogs the TV that the Wii is hooked up to at my house (I guess I could move it to another TV, though...)

The worst part is because Awakening's love/hate stems from either story, pairings, or a combination of both.

You're right about this, but I've seen some people (who also were much more reasonable than the WAAH WAAAH IT SUCKZ B/C WAIFU BULLSHIT) who dislike the gameplay for reasons you probably already heard (the game being a skillfest, grinding hard to avoid, AI going kamikaze, bad maps, etc). My sister is one of those, for example: she just can't get into the game because it's too easy and easy to exploit.

Still, the worst are those you mentioned... uuuugh.

I don't want to make this mini Awakening discussion too long, but I want to add that maybe all of this hate probably stems from the initial hype, and then some sort of realization suddenly hit the majority of the players who noticed later on that the game wasn't as perfect as they remember it.

Personally I've grown to like the game more with time, LOL, weird (but I still dislike some things a lot, can't forgive ya IS lol).

Back on RD...

But the story was really... lacking in execution. Mostly Part 4.

Hmm, I guess that to enjoy RD' story, you really have to like it very much (I love it, for example ;;).

I tend to forgive its flaws because I really ADORE the parts I liked; I'm not even sure I can be objective about the whole thing because damn... I love RD (and PoR), I really do, I have enormous Tellius bias.

In the end, I guess it's a big matter of tastes.

RD always seemed to me one of those flawed, epic-scale games that still had a lot of effort put into them, but the creators clearly didn't have the time to make what they envisioned (Xenogears comes to mind).

Still, I could be wrong about this, lol, so feel free to correct me, everyone.

Just a little tangent about the Awakening thing again... it's more broken than FE4.

And while people might not like that... I love the exploits. xD

If you've seen Red Fox's post on the thread on "which FE tried to epic" kind of thing...

I think RD wins hands down.

Essentially those design decisions about the parts weren't exactly great, but they were going for something.

Part 2 was something I especially liked.

Like, DAMN, Elincia obtained her guts.

She's not sheltered anymore. Haha, the last part: "I don't need you anymore", essentially.

I can stand for myself.

Like, DAMN, Elincia obtained her guts.

She's not sheltered anymore. Haha, the last part: "I don't need you anymore", essentially.

I can stand for myself.

Ah, and that's one of the reasons why I love RD: I got to see Elincia grow up and gain such an amazing strenght ;_;

Part 2 was so excellent; I always have a hard time choosing which one part I like the most, but mayyybe Part 2 is the best.

I really like what they tried to do with the story and the chapters, it felt interesting and refreshing, but it's pretty obvious not many could like that.

However, I especially enjoyed seeing war from differents POVs, and doing things of questionable morality against my own will for the sake of its storytelling.

Like, slaying Laguz as the DB was a really, REALLY horrible thing, but it gave me such a big impact; it made me feel horrible. And the game never tries to hide how ugly that is, nor tries to hide Micaiah's plan about dropping lava on the Crimean Knights was a genocide.

It never shames away from showing what war can really lead to and how it changes people, and that's one of my favorite things about it.

Like, slaying Laguz as the DB was a really, REALLY horrible thing, but it gave me such a big impact; it made me feel horrible. And the game never tries to hide how ugly that is, nor tries to hide Micaiah's plan about dropping lava on the Crimean Knights was a genocide.

It never shames away from showing what war can really lead to and how it changes people, and that's one of my favorite things about it.

^Guuuurl you basically explained some of my favourite aspects of RD

It's a shame Tellius isn't an exception when it comes to people turning it into a shipping simulator, even without support conversations.

でも... 僕はテリウス-ロマンスが好き...

I didn't say it was inherently bad. What I meant was Tellius isn't an exception to ignoring the most important parts of the game just to be able to ship people.

I love the romance aspect, especially when it came to Naesala and Leanne. If it wasn't canon enough in the game, Donny and Olivia's support convos in Awakening made it more so.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I hate Tellius because of Ike. I've made that /horribly/ clear in many cases. There's just...something I despise about Ike. There's also the fact that many characters lack depth, which ironically is the same issue Awakening has with the one-dimensional aspects.

Makalov is a shithead, through and through without any form of redemption. Much like Lifis in FE5...

I'm not sure how to expand on it, but there are /many/ characters who are just as plain and one-dimensional as those in Awakening. I'd argue that PoR is where that shit started. Awakening just brought it to the forefront.

Maybe Tellius (RD, anyway, haven't played PoR and can't speak for it) is seen as better than Awakening because it actually has a good story and is designed well.

I don't remember getting particularly attached to any of the characters though, unlike in the GBA games, so there may be something to that.

Maybe Tellius (RD, anyway, haven't played PoR and can't speak for it) is seen as better than Awakening because it actually has a good story and is designed well.

I don't remember getting particularly attached to any of the characters though, unlike in the GBA games, so there may be something to that.

The latter part is my point. The lack of attachable characters made playing through RD...just...painful.

I can't comment on PoR, as I have no means of playing it due to the costs of it being obscene. But I've watched enough playthroughs.

Honestly, the story might be better than Awakening, but Fire Emblem isn't ever known for really great stories. I don't even mean simplicity, because stuff like Final Fantasy V, in my opinion, has a better story.

Yes, V.

The latter part is my point. The lack of attachable characters made playing through RD...just...painful.

I can't comment on PoR, as I have no means of playing it due to the costs of it being obscene. But I've watched enough playthroughs.

Honestly, the story might be better than Awakening, but Fire Emblem isn't ever known for really great stories. I don't even mean simplicity, because stuff like Final Fantasy V, in my opinion, has a better story.

Yes, V.

Your saying that like FFV'S story is bad.

Can you resume all the PoR cast with just one word and it will completely describe them? There are a few, but it wasnt the whole game. It's good to have a few gimmicks, but not the entire cast.

Yer kidding right? Im still hopelessly attached to Soren. Im also still really attached to Jill, Haar, Oscar, Mist, Titania, Marcia, Makalov, Tanith, Sigrun, etc. Im pretty attached to Nolan despite not really knowing his entire story.

Yer kidding right? Im still hopelessly attached to Soren. Im also still really attached to Jill, Haar, Oscar, Mist, Titania, Marcia, Makalov, Tanith, Sigrun, etc. Im pretty attached to Nolan despite not really knowing his entire story.

Well, I can at least understand that viewpoint if we are only talking about Radiant Dawn. I got the impression that the abridged script we got is mostly concerned about getting all the information out at the cost of the dialogue being quite clumsy and lacking character. (Like Naesala opening a conversation with Skrimir by asking him to kill him. I mean, what the heck?)

And I'm not sure if the shortened script is to blame but Part 1 is especially weird, with Edward acting all out of character by playing the role of a whiner and worrier. But he is somehow still his proper cheerful, optimistic self in info-conversations.

I would say that there are still plenty of good character moments that work despite the cuts:

Pelleas' speech to his people in Part 1. The finale of Part 2. Some nice subtle moments with Skrimir in part 3. Just about anything with Sanaki, Yune and the bosses from the finale. And of course there is still lots of good stuff to be found in the battle conversations.

Edited by BrightBow

I'm mainly speaking in comparison to the GBA games, really.

And do note that this was for /me/ in specific.

One thing I hated about Tellius is that I found there to be not enough of it. I refuse to accept that the story has ended there. Those endings had such little variety, makes me feel like they did that for one more adventure.

The gimmicky characters thing has always been present in the series, I don't think this is a thing that applies only to Tellius.

However, Awakening really shoved their gimmicks in our faces because they have, what? More than 10 supports available? If characters have less talk time than the story lords then it's understandable you want to show the player how they're like by exaggerating their personality, and we also have to notice they tended to exaggerate them much less (unless the character was a comic relief one) and how almost everyone ended up having a serious moment related to the story or its events, sooner or later. But in Awakening their talking takes up like 80% of the game' script, so it becomes pretty awful and redundant, and serious conversations are easy to find as a needle in a barn.

Also you have cases like PoR and RD in which, like Awakening, the translation changed and exaggerated some lines to make them sound funnier (A support between Kieran and Rhys comes to mind: in the original it doesn't feature any bear hunting and just ends with Kieran agreeing to be less reckless; or, another example, is the complete absence of the SOTHE'S CHILDREN line).

Sometimes I don't know if I should critique the original writers or the translators ._. I really need to learn Japanese.

I love Tellius, and PoR

Radiant Dawn, while I had fun playing the game. The issue I have with it is that the ending seemed incomplete and rushed.

The revelation of who The Black Knight actually was, was lacking. They could have done better with his story, he was the most bad ass guy in that game.

I did not enjoy the boss fight in Radiant Dawn, Compared to previous Fire Emblems it was the one I enjoyed the least.

As for the characters of Tellius, I thought they were all interesting in some way, particularly in FE9. We had Jill's fantastic character development, and others like Lethe, Rolf, Mist, and Elincia develop rather well, too. Oh, and I can't forget the reactions of Haar and the Daein troops after Shiharam's death. In particular, I thought it was great how the dialogue reflected the nameless soldiers and made them realistic. I also liked some of the boss conversations, too, such as Homasa conversing with either Stefan or Zihark in Chapter 19, and I always thought that was cool. And the fact that Muarim is very reluctant to attack someone like Rolf or Mist due to him not wanting to hurt a child was rather intriguing. Then we have Reyson vs. Ashnard, and it sports some of my favorite dialogue in the series.

As for the gameplay, it was very solid. I always liked having Marcia ROFLstomping everything in her path after I carbloaded her up with BEXP starting from Chapter 11.

Edited by ZeeEmm

Sanaki, on my end. And then a handful of other characters, but probably not of the most detailed reasons. :awesome:

I think I should re-play FE9 and/or re-read their support conversations. They were pretty damn neat, in that game. Also, the support formula was really efficient.

I still can't get over Shinon and the Double Bro. Why didn't they just make it his Prf!?

As for the characters of Tellius, I thought they were all interesting in some way, particularly in FE9. We had Jill's fantastic character development, and others like Lethe, Rolf, Mist, and Elincia develop rather well, too. Oh, and I can't forget the reactions of Haar and the Daein troops after Shiharam's death. In particular, I thought it was great how the dialogue reflected the nameless soldiers and made them realistic. I also liked some of the boss conversations, too, such as Homasa conversing with either Stefan or Zihark in Chapter 19, and I always thought that was cool. And the fact that Muarim is very reluctant to attack someone like Rolf or Mist due to him not wanting to hurt a child was rather intriguing. Then we have Reyson vs. Ashnard, and it sports some of my favorite dialogue in the series.

As for the gameplay, it was very solid. I always liked having Marcia ROFLstomping everything in her path after I carbloaded her up with BEXP starting from Chapter 11.

I thought that was really interesting too, and I liked how being brash had consequences in certain cases. Also, Tellius had THE most useful Pegasus knights in FE history. \o/ Though... Almost everything is stronger in Tellius. Almost.

Also, Tellius had THE most useful Pegasus knights in FE history. \o/ Though... Almost everything is stronger in Tellius. Almost.

Marcia and Tanith...in FE9. Marcia was pretty good in FE10, not fantastic as she was in FE9. Tanith's actually not that good, in FE10. Sigrun's gross.

Note: I actually like Tanith & Sigrun in FE10. I'm neutral to Marcia in either games.