NFL 2014-2015 Season: Super Bowl Champion Patriots

Anacybele

My sister finally explained why she really didn't want us to draft Manziel: If he's good, everyone will say he was good in spite of playing for Cleveland. If he's bad, everyone will say Cleveland ruined him. On the bright side, she says, he can't win a second Heisman and match Archie Griffin's record now.

I think what she says makes sense.

Edit: Also, she agreed with me about wanting to give Hoyer another chance and she's also worried that Manziel will win the starting job by default like Weeden did two years ago (I don't think I need to explain that Colt McCoy and Thad Lewis would have both been much better options than Weeden was. If there was an actual competition in training camp that year, the real competition part would have been between McCoy and Lewis, because Weeden would have revealed himself to be the third stringer for sure).

Edited by ClevelandSteve

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol well 'everyone' would just be the casual fan who knows little. Browns have a solid O-line and good playmakers on the outside (though they could use another RB but that is easy to get way later) and a great D, that is what will help manziel succeed in addition to his own abilities.

Edit: Also, she agreed with me about wanting to give Hoyer another chance and she's also worried that Manziel will win the starting job by default like Weeden did two years ago (I don't think I need to explain that Colt McCoy and Thad Lewis would have both been much better options than Weeden was. If there was an actual competition in training camp that year, the real competition part would have been between McCoy and Lewis, because Weeden would have revealed himself to be the third stringer for sure).

That was the issue with Weeden. He was 29 years old and didn't have time to develop due to being so old.

On top of all that, Weeden regressed and actually seemed competent at points in 2012. I wouldn't doubt with that cannon arm he won the job - now he probably didn't deserve it because he's trigger happy, can't make reads quickly, etc. I don't think this came up so easily in training camp. Bear in mind, Weeden was really good in college, but it turns out it may be because of his receivers.

There's a reason he was drafted in the first round, and he would've gone early second had the Browns not taken him. It's just convenient for the media to go "lol browns" or something. Also, it was an issue with the old coaching (yall had two different coaches in two different years) and front office. Bear in mind that your system in 2012 was dink-and-dunk and in 2013 it was Norv's complicated Coryell offense (and the Coryell is very very hard to run in the pros - Luck struggled mightily with it in 2012 when Arians ran it).

EDIT: Holy fucking shit the Vikings took Bridgewater. If he sits a year or two then Minnesota will kill us all when he's ready.

Edited by Lord Raven

Well, I'm going to be moving up to Minnesota in two months or so. My other sister (not the one I was talking about in my last post. This other sister isn't that into football) is pregnant and I need to make sure my soon-to-be-born niece doesn't end up a Packers fan like her father (I'm sure the Bears fans in here will be rooting for me to succeed in that endeavor). Actually, my entire family is just sort of relocating to that area and I felt like joining the trend, but it sounds cooler when I have some sort of mission.

I'm sure I'm going to have to deal with lots of gloating from Vikings fans if Bridgewater has a better career than Manziel, especially since the only Browns fans in the area will be me, my dad, my sister, and (to a lesser extent) my other sister.

WELL THE BROWNS SHOULD BE FEELING PRETTY GOOD AFTER THE OTHER NIGHT

I'm dissappointed in my home team...seriously, why are they so interested in keeping their bottom tier QB and packing up their D? It's apparent that they can't do anything when they have the ball...should'nt the Texans be interested in...oh, I dunno, getting someone who can do somethign with the ball?

Clowney is considered the most talented Defensive Lineman on the planet (he has occasional mediocre games and his work ethic could be problematic but he easily has the best measurables). Drafting him #1 was their best bet. I was surprised the Texans didn't trade up for a QB late first round tbh. (Vikings might have beat them to it idk).

@ClevelandSteve: I wish you the best of luck in preventing the existence of another Packers fan.

His mediocre games are a result of college teams ganging up on him and taking him out of games. There is barely any nfl talent around him so they can sell out like that.

I also don't like the idea of taking a QB while rebuilding but that's just me.

Well, I'm going to be moving up to Minnesota in two months or so. My other sister (not the one I was talking about in my last post. This other sister isn't that into football) is pregnant and I need to make sure my soon-to-be-born niece doesn't end up a Packers fan like her father (I'm sure the Bears fans in here will be rooting for me to succeed in that endeavor). Actually, my entire family is just sort of relocating to that area and I felt like joining the trend, but it sounds cooler when I have some sort of mission.

Haha, I kind of know how you feel there. lol

My brother and I got competitive over what team our little cousin would support. Thankfully, she went Steelers instead of Packers (don't ask why my brother is a Packers fan and hates the Steelers, none of us know. xP). :3

I'm guessing that the new regime didn't mesh well with stevie johnson.

Also, Clowney is going to be a stud, his workout stuff was so unbelievably overblown (probably cause every other team wanted him) that its just hard to understand sometime. This guy tore up south carolina's practices so much that they had to sit him because they wanted to try other protection schemes because the offense was never going to have to play Clowney. I agree with Lord Raven that building through the defense and toughness is better than reaching for a qb. Now if you get a guy who grades out like Andrew Luck, you better take him, but that was definitely not the case in this draft. Now I will say that sometimes it looked like Clowney got gassed out there, but when they have you play every snap and get double and tripled teamed every time, you are bound to get tired (the Southern heat in the summer probably doesn't help). With Watt, Mercilus, and now Clowney, that D-line is so scary and in a relatively weak division, they are in a great spot to at least challenge the Colts for that division title.

It would be really interesting if Carr gets drafted by the Texans just cause of the storyline. I'm not too high on him because his ability under pressure leaves a lot to be desired, and in the NFL, you better be able to deliver strikes with pressure and keep good mechanics. However, he has a cannon arm and you can sometimes get away with some poor mechanics with that arm.

Well according to all those reports, the Browns knew he was going to be suspended before the draft started. There are still plenty of solid WRs they could get for sure.

Also wooh Raiders got their qb, I know I'm a little down on Carr but he still has a chance to be a good or even great qb if he fixes some of his flaws (which is pretty much true of any qb or player in the top end of the draft).

I'm surprised we didn't pick Marqise Lee just now. Does he have some huge downside I might not be aware of?

Edit: Well, maybe "surprised" isn't the best word. I mean, this is the Browns we're talking about.

Edited by ClevelandSteve

I thought Marqise Lee wasn't good and has issues with route running.

EDIT: Also he's not particularly fast and he's got a smaller frame.

Edited by Lord Raven

So the Steelers get DE Stephon Tuitt and RB Martavis Bryant. Sounds good. We already have a beast RB in the form of Le'Veon Bell, but you never know if he'll get hurt, so it's good to have a backup that can still get the job done.

But damn, Bryant is a little dude! Only 5'8" lol.

And on the flipside, Tuitt is a giant! 6'7" holy shit.

Edited by Anacybele

Dang Texans building it right, Nix should be useful at the very least on non passing downs.

The steelers got some good players too. Tuitt is a prototypical 3-4 end, I think he is more like 6'5'' 300 lbs, solid choice in the 2nd round. Dri Archer is explosive to say the least, according to the ESPN guys Kent State got a lot out of him and the kid can fly, overall a good selection in the 3rd round as a WR/RB option.

Rams continue there great draft, man it seems like everyone is having at least good drafts (or I'm just too optimistic).

This draft is so much better in my estimation than last years draft it seems like across the board, I can't wait to see these guys play. Also, there still more!

Edit: Also sorry I fan boy but the NFL draft is seriously one of my favorite times of the year!

Edited by metalsnowman3

Ravens draft is pretty fucking great so far. We got 3 players - Timmy Jernigan,

TimmyJudo.gif

Terrance Brooks,

and Crockett Gilmore (TE). Thank you compensatory picks!

CJ Mosley is wearing #57 in honor of O.J. Brigance!

Jaguars went ham on this draft, btw. Two WRs.

Why did Patriots take Jimmy Garoppolo? He was one of the higher rated QBs and do they really think Brady has that little left in the tank?

And metalsnowman3 - I don't blame you, this draft is pretty exciting.

My guess is Garoppolo is trade bait maybe this season or later, I mean they will ride Brady as long as possible (and I don't blame em). Man the Ravens always get good players, though they need to develop some of their picks from last year and I would bet they do. Matt Elam and Arthur Brown are legit, assuming they stay healthy.

Bears were kind of meh, I would have liked to see a safety but the D-line was so bad last year its hard to fault DTs. Also defensive line is usually a unit you want to have good depth on for rotation and what not so its not terrible to stack em.

No idea why the Browns haven't drafted a WR yet. I guess it's never too early to start tanking for a high pick in next year's draft. I mean, even if Manziel is as good as the hype indicates, who is he going to throw to now that Josh Gordon is out for a year? I mean, there's always Jordan Cameron, but our offense is predictable enough already without throwing to the same guy over and over.

Well you can look at it like this, how many amazing receivers did Russel Wilson have? Heck even the Jets managed 7 wins with no amazing receivers and a rookie qb. I feel like it is better to get a good spread of depth at the position than just one amazing guy, just ask the Lions. I'm guessing they just haven't had a receiver that they really liked whenever they had a pick and that might be the smarter thing to do (though I guess we won't ever really know). I did like their jump up to get that RB West, and I'm almost positive they traded up to get that guy before the Ravens (or someone elses) compensatory picks.