NFL 2014-2015 Season: Super Bowl Champion Patriots

Anacybele

Oh, I didn't mean to say Brown is better than AJ Green. I've heard others say Green is one of the best receivers in the league as well.

However, Ben being a much better QB than Andy Dalton means that he can better use Antonio Brown than Andy Dalton can use AJ Green.

Yeah, I wasn't sure that the Packers scenario was the best argument, but it was the first thing to come to mind. :P

True, Miller is probably going to retire soon. But he's still damn good for someone his age.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bear the bengals have done nothing to get better. We dont know if Atkins will be at full health by the beginning of the season. And then look at rhat secondary it's not that good. Like really not good. Anytime with a respectable offense should be able to put 35-40 points a game. Hers how any defense has to play them. Load the box, two on green, man to man on jones and the third option/tight end. AJ green ain't Calvin Johnson, he can't catch touchdowns when he has three guys on him, and Dalton's not Matthew stafford. And making the playoffs three years in a row means nothing. Look at the giants, won a Super Bowl, missed the playoffs at 8-8, went 4-12 last year. Past accomplishments mean jack. Pats have made three straight afc championship games, I'm not picking to make the championship game. What a team has done means nothing towards what they will do.

Yeah, Calvin Johnson is definitely the best receiver in the league. He isn't the only guy I've seen catch a TD with three guys on him though. Santonio Holmes did that to win Super Bowl 43 for the Steelers. I wish he'd never left, he was pretty dang good. He did better with the Steelers than he's doing with the Jets.

But the Giants went downhill real fast. I really wonder what the hell happened there.

Edited by Anacybele

When the Giants came off the super bowl they lost players (and Justin Tuck hasnt sbeen the same)

Over the past two years the Patriots have lost players

The Bengals have not lost players, this makes your comparison kind of pointless.

The Broncos making the superbowl last year makes me think they'll probably do it again it's the same with the Bengals making the playoffs three years running makes me think they won't finish dead last in their division and get swept by two division rivals.

...Except the Broncos totally shit themselves in that Super Bowl. They didn't look like the Broncos that made it there at all. :/

Also, the Ravens WON the Super Bowl before that...but didn't even make the playoffs last season.

Edited by Anacybele

When the Giants came off the super bowl they lost players (and Justin Tuck hasnt sbeen the same)

The Bengals have not lost players, this makes your comparison kind of pointless.

The Broncos making the superbowl last year makes me think they'll probably do it again it's the same with the Bengals making the playoffs three years running makes me think they won't finish dead last in their division and get swept by two division rivals.

The giants lost maningham. They stil had this top two recievers. Their pass rush was still in tact (JPP got hurt the year after) the only difference is they lost their running backs, who unless they are top of the line are a dime a dozen.

And the pats still made it those years. It's not an exact science.

And to restate that what you did last year means nothing, over last 10 years the number of playoff games won by the defending champ is 0. Not Super Bowls playoff games. The best team in the world can't get through the first round. In 4 case they didn't even make the playoffs. Also something I noticed is that it's been about ten years since the last repeat so it's probably gonna happen some time soon.

The giants lost maningham. They stil had this top two recievers. Their pass rush was still in tact (JPP got hurt the year after) the only difference is they lost their running backs, who unless they are top of the line are a dime a dozen.

And the pats still made it those years. It's not an exact science.

And to restate that what you did last year means nothing, over last 10 years the number of playoff games won by the defending champ is 0. Not Super Bowls playoff games. The best team in the world can't get through the first round. In 4 case they didn't even make the playoffs. Also something I noticed is that it's been about ten years since the last repeat so it's probably gonna happen some time soon.

The Giants RBs when they won it all were actually a huge loss because they fit the Giants' system so well, the Giants haven't been able to get RBs that fit into what they're doing on offense since.

Tbh I think the Pats are going back to the AFC championship game I was mainly disagreeing with your point against the Bengals. I'm just saying the Patriots have lost a lot of talent (like Wes Welker) over these two past offseasons and the Bengals haven't had that kind of loss so the comparison was meh.

But I'm not arguing that the Bengals will make the superbowl or even the playoffs. I'm arguing that they won't finish dead last in a division where they're the only team to get 11 wins in the last two seasons (it might go farther back I don't remember).

Oh I think if the Pats get their offense figured out they go back. If they don't, then they'll be stuck against a much tougher AFCE.

Don't underestimate the browns. Just because they made one of the most questionable decisions trading up to draft Manziel (What was it three spots) doesn't mean they don't have a kickass defense. And the bengals had a very poor offseason as far as I can tell. People don't have confidence in dalton, they didn't add that number 2 reciver to go across AJ green, and their defense is still pretty banged up.

The steelers are my choice to win this year, but they can't start slow like last year or they won't close the gap the ravens will inevitably make.

Also texans are a nice sleeper to bet on for representing the AFC this year. If they can get a top line QB they would by my pick to win it. That front seven is so sexy though. I'm guessing like 45-48 sacks this year.

Browns have a good defense but they're missing Josh Gordon. I'd say their draft was good though. Bengals had a very average offseason; didn't gain or lose any major pieces. But Dalton has a shitload of weapons; AJ Green, the Tight End duo, Giovanni Bernard, BJGE for those consistent 3-4 yards, and a very solid defense. They're a very balanced team despite an average QB, but I think the OC set them up cause I remember a playcall for him to fling it deep on a 4th and 10 in the playoffs. The fuck?

I don't know how good the Steelers will be this season, but I can see them having some trouble on defense like last season. Their secondary and front seven seem to be more youthful than previous years, and I mean inexperienced; may take another year for them to mesh. On top of that, they lost 2 of their top 3 WRs although they replaced them pretty effectively - they lost Cotchery and Sanders for Lance Moore and some other guy.

Texans were actually exposed last season. Their defense relied heavily on Brian Cushing giving signals and making plays, because their secondary was incredibly poor, their run game was bad when AF was injured (who has a bad contract), their OL is iffy, they lost some depth at TE, and their QB was downgraded to Fitzmagic from 2012 Schaub. Their playcalling is probably better considering Bill O'Brien was a Pats OC for some of their better years, but the Texans are very easy to shred on defense regardless of front 7. I also don't know what Clowney will be like in the NFL, so we'll see.

The Browns have never been good though, and the Bengals whooped the AFC North hard last season. And the main problem with the Browns is that they can never find a QB to stick with. I don't expect that to change any time soon either.

They were good in the 80s, as well as 2007 and 2002 (I believe 2002 was when they went to the playoffs). QBs aren't the end-all, be-all; Raiders, Buccs, and Ravens have won games with scrubby QBs before. Doug Williams didn't do shit outside of his Super Bowl.

Week 1: Why not? Ravens will be missing Ray Rice and I doubt Flacco's ability to turn around what he was last season without him.

Do you actually know what our issues were last year? Because Pierce is a beast of a running back - go check some of his film from the 2012 season and the Super Bowl run. Dude has incredible vision and a lot more power than Ray Rice. We've also heavily upgraded our offensive line. We went from the worst Center/Guard combination in the league to a very above-average one (AQ Shipley/Gino Gradkowski to Osemele/Zuttah) and we've actually gained some weapons (compared to last year; Smith/Brown have an extra year, Jones is healthy, Pitta is healthy, Owen Daniels, Steve Smith, and a healthy Ray Rice/Bernard Pierce). Our defense drafted well, and we've gained some good players on defense too.

Giovani Bernard is pretty close in talent I'd say actually.

Brown is good but Green is arguably the second best receiver in the league, there just isn't a comparison between the two that Green doesn't win.

Yah Green is pretty high up there... Bernard is a beast as well.

The Packers without Aaron Rodgers are mediocre, not a real good case. I will agree on the steelers having a better QB and slightly better D.

Packers were injured across the board. Off the top of my head, Shields, Rodgers, Matthews, random WRs (Randall Cobb was one), some safeties, random dlinemen, etc. That Packers lineup has a hard time staying healthy, year in and year out.

Miller is getting old (especially for one of the most physical positions in the NFL) and while he's definitely a good TE I wouldn't say he's THAT good.

He's good enough for 500 yards each year, a couple redzone touchdowns, and a bunch of first downs. I think he can block well too. He's not elite; he's useful though.

Bear the bengals have done nothing to get better. We dont know if Atkins will be at full health by the beginning of the season. And then look at rhat secondary it's not that good. Like really not good. Anytime with a respectable offense should be able to put 35-40 points a game. Hers how any defense has to play them. Load the box, two on green, man to man on jones and the third option/tight end. AJ green ain't Calvin Johnson, he can't catch touchdowns when he has three guys on him, and Dalton's not Matthew stafford. And making the playoffs three years in a row means nothing. Look at the giants, won a Super Bowl, missed the playoffs at 8-8, went 4-12 last year. Past accomplishments mean jack. Pats have made three straight afc championship games, I'm not picking to make the championship game. What a team has done means nothing towards what they will do.

Their secondary is average, they don't exactly have stars but they don't have bad players. Their strength is in their line and linebacking corps.

Anyone putting two guys on green is a dumb coordinator, because there are routes that beat man-to-man easily if you run them competently. Furthermore, considering the GOAT offense - the 2007 Patriots - put up 35 points/game then I don't think 35-40 points every game is a yardstick for a successful offense. That receiving corps is pretty fucking good, it's just the QB is very up-and-down and I don't quite understand. Flacco on that offense would probably make a championship game.

Broncos made a Super Bowl with a pretty depleted defense and injured roster. Decker was a big loss on defense, but I'm sure Sanders can fill in whatever void he brings - and Julius Thomas going into his second year starting will do nothing but help them.

...Except the Broncos totally shit themselves in that Super Bowl. They didn't look like the Broncos that made it there at all. :/

Yeah they did. Shoddy defense and offense that couldn't get things going until the fourth quarter? Let's forget the fact that this time they allowed 43 points by the fourth quarter so any Broncos comeback was not possible. If the Broncos D weren't shitty as fuck (like it was every other game - trust me, that defense was bad) then it would've been a 20-16 or 16-13 game easily, and actually quite exciting.

Uh, the Steelers getting new younger guys on defense doesn't mean it's going to be bad. :/

Didn't people used to complain because they were too OLD, in fact? Also, rookie status doesn't mean they can't play well. Look at Bell and Jarvis Jones. Bell saved the Steelers' offense (or at least helped in that) and from the way I've seen Jones play, he's ruthless. Knocked down an RB behind the line in the first game, I believe.

Yeah that means they need a year or two to actually mesh. We had a lot of young players on the Ravens last year and they were prone to a ton of brain farts that led to blown coverages, big plays, and long drives/inopportune first downs.

Defense is definitely harder to play in the NFL especially these days with higher powered offenses. Jimmy Smith (Ravens CB) is among the many CBs who took a few years to get good, Kam Chancellor (Seahawks SS) took a few seasons, Cliff Avril wasn't that good until later in his career, etc. A lot of young players is better than a lot of old players, but it's not gonna get immediate results.

Edited by Lord Raven

Anyways changing topics a bit, the hall of fame ceremony's kick off tommorow and my general thoughts are, about damn time,ray guy got in, why didn't TD still not make it, and Andre has the best interviews ever. Any thoughts from anybody else on the festivities.

Yeah that means they need a year or two to actually mesh. We had a lot of young players on the Ravens last year and they were prone to a ton of brain farts that led to blown coverages, big plays, and long drives/inopportune first downs.

Defense is definitely harder to play in the NFL especially these days with higher powered offenses. Jimmy Smith (Ravens CB) is among the many CBs who took a few years to get good, Kam Chancellor (Seahawks SS) took a few seasons, Cliff Avril wasn't that good until later in his career, etc. A lot of young players is better than a lot of old players, but it's not gonna get immediate results.

Like I said, Jarvis Jones begs to differ (he's defense, not offense). But I'm not saying every one of our new defenders will be good right away. I just think that to say none of them will be effective for a couple years is a bit much.

why didn't TD still not make it

There's an extremely good reason: longevity.

The biggest snub is Don Coryell btw, if we're valuing NFL History then why not the father of the Modern NFL offenses?

Davis had four good years; Gale Sayers had 5 good years, but he also set seven records at his time of retirement.

If TD makes it to the Hall of Fame it'll be a long while. Players like Harrison, Bruce, Ward, Owens, Moss, Tomlinson, Gonzalez and eventually Fitzgerald/Wayne/Andre Johnson/Peterson/Gates/Megatron/Steve Smith/Witten for purely offensive scoring positions deserve to make it in before TD.

Harrison and Ward as in James Harrison and Hines Ward? Hell yeah they should go to the Hall of Fame. ^^ James Harrison because of his 100 yard TD return in Super Bowl 43 and overall superb skill as an LB and Hines Ward because he was just an overall excellent receiver. :D

I know some people say that James Harrison's TD return was kind of because offense people are obviously not as good at tackling as the actual defense guys. But at the same time, Harrison was never a real runner. He had to use an oxygen mask after that play lol. And he still went all the way!

Edited by Anacybele

Harrison and Ward as in James Harrison and Hines Ward? Hell yeah they should go to the Hall of Fame. ^^ James Harrison because of his 100 yard TD return in Super Bowl 43 and overall superb skill as an LB and Hines Ward because he was just an overall excellent receiver. :D

I know some people say that James Harrison's TD return was kind of because offense people are obviously not as good at tackling as the actual defense guys. But at the same time, Harrison was never a real runner. He had to use an oxygen mask after that play lol. And he still went all the way!

I think he meant Marvin Harrison. Him and Manning totally kicked ass for almost a decade, and he had some of the best hands in football. I personally think he deserves more recognition over Moss and Owens.

I'll admit, I was more of a Colts fan than a Jets fan during their tandem.

I stated offensive scoring positions. James Harrison is not an offensive player.

Also I forgot Torry Holt. Him and Isaac Bruce were fucking beasts.

I think he meant Marvin Harrison. Him and Manning totally kicked ass for almost a decade, and he had some of the best hands in football. I personally think he deserves more recognition over Moss and Owens.

Randy Moss was better than Marvin Harrison. I can agree to Owens to a certain extent, but not Moss. Edited by Lord Raven

Some interesting maps. Someone took a survey on reddit, around 40K people responded, and gave us these results.

vwMulZv.png

dqnW9jx.png

H41pK87.png

Purpose of the last one is to show that Rhode Island hates the Cowboys. Also, what did we ever do to Western Europe? lmao

Edited by Lord Raven