E3 2014

Anacybele

Having a bunch of directs doesn't feel the same. It feels like Nintendo's hiding instead of coming right out and going "we've got stuff for you to see!" I just felt more excited at the live conferences, even if I was only seeing it via a computer screen. :(

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Living in Canada, I personally don't really see the difference between watching a direct or watching a live broadcast of a conference.

how would not being live hurt nintendo? we're still getting the information.

see above

I'm from the UK, not like it's gonna help, either

I more have an issue that E3 is meant to be the occasion for 'The Big Three' to turn up to make an event for. If Nintendo want to drop out and just have a video broadcast from now on, it just seems like they don't care as much about the event at all.

But hey, that's just what I think.

plus live gives chances for hilarious blunders

Q7o6PPw.gif

Don't mind me. I'm just watching the show.

You're going to watch E3? Great! ^^

(before you get all facepalmy, I know this isn't what you mean. I'm just being a goof :P)

Having a bunch of directs doesn't feel the same. It feels like Nintendo's hiding instead of coming right out and going "we've got stuff for you to see!" I just felt more excited at the live conferences, even if I was only seeing it via a computer screen. :(

I already wrote down some reasons why they prefer using the directs instead of the live conference in my answer to Tryhard. Mainly that it allows them to skip having to go through news outlets for their message to spread. Seriously, Nintendo might have made some mistakes recently, but the general tone regarding them in the medias is way too critical or pessimistic.

I'm from the UK, not like it's gonna help, either

I more have an issue that E3 is meant to be the occasion for 'The Big Three' to turn up to make an event for. If Nintendo want to drop out and just have a video broadcast from now on, it just seems like they don't care as much about the event at all.

But hey, that's just what I think.

plus live gives chances for hilarious blunders

Well, they at least have booths at the events, including a smash invitational and something regarding the Nintendo Treehouse.

Well, yeah, I do agree that some people are being too pessimistic and such about Nintendo. But I know they'll bounce back. Because they're Nintendo and they can do awesome shit like that.

Yeah, and Capcom's going to finally release Mega Man Legends 3 wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot.

I remember finding this article that talked about Nintendo's portrayal in the media. It's quite interesting, yet saddening. Especially the list at the end of it that shows tons of negative headline regarding Nintendo.

To be honest, I have enough reason to have a negative opinion of Nintendo recently, not solely from negative portrayal from the media.

I think some of you expect too much from the Wii U.

Edited by Tryhard

That IS a really depressing article. But I still believe Nintendo can turn things around and will. Didn't the GC sell poorly? It didn't cause them to go bankrupt or anything, they're still around. The Wii and 3DS struggled for awhile too, if memory serves.

EDIT: And I think some people expect too little.

Edited by Anacybele

That IS a really depressing article. But I still believe Nintendo can turn things around and will. Didn't the GC sell poorly? It didn't cause them to go bankrupt or anything, they're still around. The Wii and 3DS struggled for awhile too, if memory serves.

EDIT: And I think some people expect too little.

The GC I believe was considered a failed console by standards. The thing is Nintendo are big enough and have enough profits that they would be able to fund several more failed consoles and still be okay.

I don't think the Wii struggled at all by the way.

and ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Tryhard

To be honest, I have enough reason to have a negative opinion of Nintendo recently, not solely from negative portrayal from the media.

I think some of you expect too much from the Wii U.

I personally think the Wii U is an ok console. It's decently powerful IMO and it has some nice features. And while the gamepad is not as big a change as the motion control of the Wii, I still find the idea interesting and found that it brought a lot of small interesting things/improvements as opposed of the more radically different wiimote.

I think Nintendo has made some mistakes treating with some devs and marketing their console, but I don't think it deserves to be called a POS hardware. For me, Nintendo at least tries to make things differently with their console, but it cannot always be a homerun. The motion control of the Wii took off incredibly well, but the Gamepad just doesn't have the same instant appeal.

The GC I believe was considered a failed console by standards. The thing is Nintendo are big enough and have enough profits that they would be able to fund several more failed consoles and still be okay.

I don't think the Wii struggled at all by the way.

and ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's a damn shame the GC sold so poorly because it has some of the best games I ever played (including my all time favorite: Metroid Prime).

and I think the Wii took off pretty much as soon as it was announced.

Well, this image perfectly illustrates my thoughts about their console and game releases.

nintendo-cycle.png

It may not be EXACTLY the same each time, but the basic idea remains.

holy shit the ana is strong in this topic

wow

anyway

nintendo aren't in any financial trouble and i'll never understand why anyone thinks they are

the wii, ds, and 3ds have made them so much money it's not even funny

the wii u is a shit, but they don't care, because they're still sitting on the fat pile the wii made them, that it doesn't matter if the console blows chunks

You're wrong, they do care. Iwata admitted that he feels bad about the mistakes they've made and wants to fix this. I posted a thread about the article the other day.

And well, I'm going to defend Nintendo as long as they're awesome, which I believe they always will be. They partly defined my childhood and I grew up with a lot of their games. They deserve my support right now.

Edited by Anacybele

Well, this image perfectly illustrates my thoughts about their console and game releases.

nintendo-cycle.png

It may not be EXACTLY the same each time, but the basic idea remains.

While I think the Wii U is an okay console, I don't see how it could take off to the level of the 3DS.

The 3DS had a slow start, but then enjoyed a year of solid release one after the other and it had basically no competition. The Wii U on the other hand, is already outsold by the PS4 and except if Nintendo announce tons of high profile games all coming plus something that takes everyone by surprise, including people that don't usually buy Nintendo consoles, I don't see them really taking off. The most plausible future is for it to have a sales around the number of the GC.

holy shit the ana is strong in this topic

wow

anyway

nintendo aren't in any financial trouble and i'll never understand why anyone thinks they are

the wii, ds, and 3ds have made them so much money it's not even funny

the wii u is a shit, but they don't care, because they're still sitting on the fat pile the wii made them, that it doesn't matter if the console blows chunks

I never quite understood the mentality of people that say that Nintendo is doomed and that they should disappear or go third-party. How is having only PS and XB on the console market a good thing when they're already called the twins.

defend what

their multi millions of dollars

that there shore needs defending

you go girl

iwata is trying to save face :V
no amount of optimism is going to get me to believe that video game companies are ever in it for more than money

other companies maybe

video games?

nap

i never liked that smug bastard reggie

nintendo's fine and i don't see how people can say they're in trouble, the wii was kind of the biggest thing ever in whatever year it came out at, so MUNNY MUNNY MUNNY is not a problem

okay i lied i really like reggie

he is a fantastic human being i hope he never leaves

don't care about anyone else at nintendo

reggie is perf he needs to run everything

look at this beautiful mother fucker

reggie is pretty much the best thing about nintendo

(just in case anyone thought, I don't think nintendo are in any sorts of trouble, I just dislike the Wii U and recent 'tendo practices. They're pretty out-of-touch, to me.)

My personal opinion is that Nintendo doesn't do the best with advertising; sure, they make pretty damn good games, but if word doesn't get out to the casual players, most of their market goes right down the drain. They need to differentiate the Wii U and Wii so that the average person will think, "hey, that's a new console, not just that thing I already have with an extra vowel", they also need to get word out about the games themselves. This might just be me, but I haven't been convinced to by a game by a commercial for a game since I was a little kid, most of the commercials they use now are just, I guess bland. If they can advertise Mario Kart 8 to kids and Smash 4 all over the place, they might be able to drum up sales for the struggling Wii U and make this next fiscal year less of a loss than this previous one

Also didn't they already confirm the new Zelda Wii U game would be shown at E3, as well as Hyrule Warriors?

Edited by Spiky

My personal opinion is that Nintendo doesn't do the best with advertising; sure, they make pretty damn good games, but if word doesn't get out to the casual players, most of their market goes right down the drain. They need to differentiate the Wii U and Wii so that the average person will think, "hey, that's a new console, not just that thing I already have with an extra vowel", they also need to get word out about the games themselves. This might just be me, but I haven't been convinced to by a game by a commercial for a game since I was a little kid, most of the commercials they use now are just, I guess bland. If they can advertise Mario Kart 8 to kids and Smash 4 all over the place, they might be able to drum up sales for the struggling Wii U and make this next fiscal year less of a loss than this previous one

Also didn't they already confirm the new Zelda Wii U game would be shown at E3, as well as Hyrule Warriors?

I'm pretty sure it was confirmed that the next Wii U Zelda will be shown at E3.