Most in/out of character family supports?

Hey, just thought I'd start this thread for people to share what they feel are the most accurate or out-of-character generic family supports. Those things are kind of a crapshoot really, they had to make it so that the conversations were pretty much the same no matter who the character is speaking to, so there's a lot of trying to force squares into circles. But sometimes they work really well, while other times... they really don't. Here are what I feel are the most noteworthy examples:

Notably accurate:

Lucina and male Morgan, siblings. I think it's fairly obvious to see that Lucina's sibling supports were written primarily with Cynthia in mind as the sibling in question, but it really suits male Morgan as well. Getting past the issue of how it's not explained how Morgan got a small part of his memory back about the future regarding whether or not he's ever used Falchion (what the heck, it wouldn't be the first time he's recovered some memories), Morgan's lovable dorkiness fits in perfectly here. Using Falchion to chop apples is pretty much exactly the sort of thing male Morgan would wind up doing, and they avoided coming into conflict with Morgan's love of insects and made the roach menace totally believable. Plus, he's voiced by Todd Haberkorn, and if you're at all familiar with much of his work, it's really easy to imagine him saying a lot of lines in that support set.

Virion and Inigo, father and son. I've admittedly only seen the C support of this set, but rather than feeling unrealistic for Virion to chide his son about his womanizing, it reminds us that Virion does have a serious side, and that he's not entirely the womanizing dandy buffoon he appears to be. Honestly it makes even more, rather than less, sense for Virion in particular to find the sheer depth of Inigo's flirting obsession unsettling. I also found his special comment at the end priceless: "It's as if you only inherited one aspect of my... Ah, never mind. Suddenly I'm feeling very tired." Though it's pretty obvious that the writers knew they had to make this one work, I mean it's not exactly the sort of connection you can miss.

Notably out of character:

Lucina and Kjelle/Inigo, siblings. No, honestly I don't think it's that out of character for Kjelle to be scared of that cockroach. Honestly, if it freaks out Lucina, a woman who has stared directly into the gaping maw of Grima itself, it could freak out Kjelle. But Kjelle acts way too dorky in these supports, and I just don't see Kjelle being dorky at all. As for Inigo, well, this one exchange in the first support really seems nearly impossible for me to believe from Inigo:

Lucina: And how do YOU plan to impress girls if you're scared of a bug?

Inigo: I'd sooner die loveless and alone then touch that thing!

Henry and Cynthia, father and daughter. I seriously can't imagine Henry finding Cynthia's antics weird or annoying. That just plain doesn't happen in any of his first generation supports. Everyone's playing the straight man/woman to him. It would take a lot more than some mildly over-the-top entrance ideas for Henry to make his injured face like that.

Those are my main picks. Anyone else have any?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find that Chrom and Inigo as father and son makes a lot of sense. Inigo's father support often talks of a comparison to Lucina, and if Lucina is his sister, then all the more reason he should be compared to her by his father. Not to mention Inigo bears a strong resemblance to Chrom. Also, for some reason, I can see Inigo being afraid of bugs, so I can see him being Lucina's brother too. I don't know why, but I do. xP

Frederick and Severa make sense too in the same manner, imo. I can definitely see Frederick buying his kid a few gifts and then telling him or her that they have to do some chores and such to earn anything else from him. Severa also needs a dad like him, seriously. lol It's one reason I like him and Cordelia as a couple.

Imo, anybody can be Morgan's parent because that conversation is just THAT generic. xP But since that line about Falchion in Lucina's sibling support completely contradicts Morgan's ending, I don't think he makes sense as her brother.

I think Lon'qu works as Gerome's father. Both of them seem quiet and like keeping to themselves. Gerome seems to have inherited the deep voice gene from him too lol. I can also see them having a somewhat rocky relationship at first like Gerome's father support shows because I can see Lon'qu being all "WTF I BANG MY WIFE AND HAVE A KID?!!" due to his issues with women. :P

I also like Virion as Yarne's father, because seriously, I wouldn't blame Yarne if he thought Virion was cheating on Panne. lol

Virion makes no sense as Brady's father though. Brady gives his father tea and his father says he never had a tea time in his life. That is such a lie with Virion, he's shown having a tea time in his OFFICIAL ART and he has a tea time with Frederick in a DLC conversation. xP

And this is all I can think of at the moment.

Notably accurate:

Lucina and male Morgan, siblings.

My obvious Japanese bias here... Noire supports with Mark/Morgan directly contradict him.

...at least, they kind of fix it in the localization.

"I love bugs, but I hate..."

My obvious Japanese bias here... Noire supports with Mark/Morgan directly contradict him.

...at least, they kind of fix it in the localization.

"I love bugs, but I hate..."

I'm not going by the japanese version honestly, because a lot of characters are completely different, to the point you pretty much can't consider the japanese supports even CANON for the english one. At any rate, yeah, when talking with Noire he does say that there are some exceptions, huge roaches included. And then when he freaks out about the roach, he says "R-ROACH!" instead of "B-BUG!", and when Lucina says "As in... an insect?" Morgan's all "NO! Insects are cute! This thing is freakish and horrifying!"

I'm not going by the japanese version honestly, because a lot of characters are completely different, to the point you pretty much can't consider the japanese supports even CANON for the english one. At any rate, yeah, when talking with Noire he does say that there are some exceptions, huge roaches included. And then when he freaks out about the roach, he says "R-ROACH!" instead of "B-BUG!", and when Lucina says "As in... an insect?" Morgan's all "NO! Insects are cute! This thing is freakish and horrifying!"

It felt tacked on, honestly.

And agreement on Henry.

Henry is chillest dad.

Edited by shadowofchaos

It felt tacked on, honestly.

It seemed pretty natural to me, but then, to be fair, I never played the japanese version, and I saw Lucina and Morgan's sibling conversation first, then I saw Noire's and Morgan's normal support quite a bit later.

Virion makes no sense as Brady's father though. Brady gives his father tea and his father says he never had a tea time in his life. That is such a lie with Virion, he's shown having a tea time in his OFFICIAL ART and he has a tea time with Frederick in a DLC conversation. xP

With Virion the line is altered actually, he says "Hah! I enjoy a spot of tea as much as the next man, but I've never done "teatime.""

Edited by Poliwrath

Lucina and male Morgan's conversation sounds in-character, but the contradictions in the support kind of kill it for me in terms of how "in-character" it is. Chrom!Morgan, recruited by either Chrom or avatar, always says that he doesn't know Lucina upon his recruitment. His ending, paired or single, always says that his memories never returned. The only time when any Morgan seems to remember anything is with their same-sex parent in the A support, a small flash. Considering that Morgan speaks with Lucina in their sibling support like he remembers her and Falchion very well, this feels like a really big contradiction that isn't supported by what the rest of the game is telling you about Morgan.

And where I come from on SF, contradictions are scummy and those who make them are lynched -- *shot*

Yarne's fear about being the "last of the taguel" seems a bit odd with Morgan around. I think Nah has the same issue with Morgan as her sister, the conversations were written to be as generic as possible so it doesn't really account the ramifications of Yarne and Nah having a sibling. (Yes, the thing about either Morgan lacking taguel ears comes up, but it still feels like a cheap justification for not changing Morgan's portrait.)

Lucina and male Morgan's conversation sounds in-character, but the contradictions in the support kind of kill it for me in terms of how "in-character" it is. Chrom!Morgan, recruited by either Chrom or avatar, always says that he doesn't know Lucina upon his recruitment. His ending, paired or single, always says that his memories never returned. The only time when any Morgan seems to remember anything is with their same-sex parent in the A support, a small flash. Considering that Morgan speaks with Lucina in their sibling support like he remembers her and Falchion very well, this feels like a really big contradiction that isn't supported by what the rest of the game is telling you about Morgan.

tumblr_mwjm6pkBTM1rmzb08o6_400.gif

tumblr_mwjm6pkBTM1rmzb08o7_400.gif

tumblr_mwjm6pkBTM1rmzb08o6_400.gif

tumblr_mwjm6pkBTM1rmzb08o7_400.gif

Yeah, that struck me as an odd choice. Personally, despite how I think Morgan's personality fits the role of Lucina's younger sibling really, really well, I think these two should have gotten their own unique set of sibling support conversations rather than choosing for Lucina's to override Morgan's. I mean it would just be for one support conversation, surely they could have managed to come up with that.

alternatively since Morgan saying he doesn't remember Lucina WASN'T supposed to be a generic line, and he only says that when Chrom is his father, they could've just said that he remembered her too.

From the main FE13 scripts page on SF:

Robin

Wait. Let's go back to the "Mother" thing. ...Did you travel back from the future with Lucina?

Morgan

Huh? Who's Lucina? And did you seriously just ask me if I came from the future? ...Why are you looking at me like that? Hello? It's me! Morgan! ...Your son? Love of your life and strapping young lad and all that? Wow, you're really acting strange today. Let's go home and get you to bed. Hmm, but which way is home? Is it— Ngh! M-my head!

He doesn't remember Lucina in his recruitment conversation with the avatar either.

Also, all of Lucina's siblings should've gotten unique supports with her. There's only five of them, after all.

Edited by Sangyul

All of the Morgan parent supports are about as generic and boring as they come. With the parent having no more than, say, at most 10 lines of dialogue?

As stated before, having Morgan being the son/sister of Yarne contradicts his constant remarks of being the last of his kind.

Inigo and his father supports are hilarious if you have a chill father not only get angry at his life choices, but openly compare him to "Perfect Daughter #1" and how they wish he was more like her. This is different with Henry, but the anger issues are still there.

Severa doesn't work with a father who wouldn't take her shopping seriously. Lon'qu and Ricken come to mind. Also, her dad should at least have some money. Gregor is dirt broke.

If you marry Tiki, she will still regard Nah as the only half human/half dragon of her kind, totally forgetting Morgan's existence.

It's been a while since I read Tiki and Nah's supports, but I wonder if it'd make more sense in context if Tiki and Nah's support occurred before male avatar and Tiki were married.

Oh yeah, that reminds me. I also don't think it would make one bit of sense to view Frederick and Cordelia's conversations after Cordelia is married. If only Frederick was married, it'd be more interesting, lol (since she keeps asking him about his love life, you'd view it as her trying to get him to talk about how much he loves his wife and stuff XD). But if Cordelia is married...uh, yeah. xP

It's been a while since I read Tiki and Nah's supports, but I wonder if it'd make more sense in context if Tiki and Nah's support occurred before male avatar and Tiki were married.

Unless you marry Nowi, of course

Noire/Father doesn't make sense with several fathers. Robin because I don't see Tharja hexing him under any circumstances, and Frederick, Lon'qu and Gregor because I don't see any of them getting hexed and then standing aside doing nothing. Ricken and Henry to an extent too because they should know how Tharja's hexes work and avoid getting them.

One that makes sense to me is Vaike and Laurent's: it always starts with Lauret telling his father he found one of his items lying around , and then proceeds to nag about it.

Hmm, reminds you of anything??

Plus, I find Vaike to be the most fitting father to do that tickling in the A support, probably even more than others, because he seems such a touchy-feely person! Not to mention the whole "We are't much alike.." bit in the C support is spot on in this case.

I also did Laurent' supports with Frederick and the feeling was the opposite O_o it didn't fit at all, imo.

Now, I do have enormous Vaike/Miriel bias (I can't stand having them marry someone else ;; but I did marry them to), but sometimes I do think these supports might've been written with Vaike in mind.

One that makes sense to me is Vaike and Laurent's: it always starts with Lauret telling his father he found one of his items lying around , and then proceeds to nag about it.

Hmm, reminds you of anything??

Plus, I find Vaike to be the most fitting father to do that tickling in the A support, probably even more than others, because he seems such a touchy-feely person! Not to mention the whole "We are't much alike.." bit in the C support is spot on in this case.

I also did Laurent' supports with Frederick and the feeling was the opposite O_o it didn't fit at all, imo.

Now, I do have enormous Vaike/Miriel bias (I can't stand having them marry someone else ;; but I did marry them to), but sometimes I do think these supports might've been written with Vaike in mind.

i feel the same way, so naturally from a gameplay perspective it has to be one of miriel's worst options, thanks Intelligent Systems.

Noire/Father doesn't make sense with several fathers. Robin because I don't see Tharja hexing him under any circumstances, and Frederick, Lon'qu and Gregor because I don't see any of them getting hexed and then standing aside doing nothing. Ricken and Henry to an extent too because they should know how Tharja's hexes work and avoid getting them.

it doesn't make sense for Robin because he's kinda busy being processed by grima and destroying the world to actually be there raising a family.

of course its like that for owain's child support as well, i noticed more and more that the children's supports on what happened to their robin never really adds up quite afew times.

Edited by HF Makalov Fanboy Kai

I've heard "Laurent's supports seem to work best with Vaike in mind" before. But after I remembered that Miriel and Laurent are probably both horribly OCD and anything out of place would drive them mad, the only father I can't see work for Laurent is anyone who is super neat or unlikely to drop anything (like Frederick and Ricken, who complain about people leaving items around when they find something). As for the tickling in the A support, I can honestly see it from a lot of fathers - like Henry and Gregor and Stahl as well. (Not mentioning avatar because massive bias towards avatar/Miriel.)

Ricken and Brady's supports are a wee bit odd because Ricken and Maribelle seem to be drinking tea a lot in their supports and even Ricken has no idea what a teatime is. Even weirder in that Ricken makes Brady smell tea leaves in FD2.

Off the top of my head from experience...

In Character:

• Nowi/Ricken & Nah. I don't know what it is, but I find their personalities matching. All of them are a mix of both mature and immature; Ricken and Nowi both act rather immature but can be mature when time is calling, and Nah acting mature but has immature moments.
  • Gregor/Yarne. I know Gregor's a good guy, but the guy loves the company of beautiful women (though he may not be as much of a flirt as Virion, arguably), so I can see Yarne's plight.
  • ^Same goes a little for Vaike/Yarne, since Vaike is a peeping tom and does make a comment about the female Avatar in his C support with Tharja, but I think he's less of an issue.
  • Gaius/Brady. These two were from my first playthrough and I found this hilariously fitting because I never panned Gaius as a fan of tea, so it makes the "no teatime" claim plausible. Considering Maribelle seems to enjoy more bitter flavoured teas, I think it adds to the humor if that's what Brady served.
  • Vaike/Gerome. Considering Vaike's personality at times…yeah I did find it pretty in character considering Gerome's dad does tease him in their supports.
  • Lon'qu/Gerome. Both aren't much of talkers, keep to themselves, and became "stone cold" from traumatizing experiences… Ok I made myself sad so I'm ending this here. Moving on to others
  • Henry/Morgan…Do I really need to say anything? Practically look alike and are often cheerful?
    (Ok, not gonna lie, I liked this family a lot.)

Out of Character:

• Kellam/Yarne. Yarne, most of the army forgets your dad even exists. How is he going to cheat on Panne? I imagine that'd be difficult...
  • Inigo/Virion. I know a lot of people find them to be a good match, but I disagree to an extent on this one. Yes they're both flirts, but here's the thing: Inigo didn't pick up his flirting habits from his father, but rather Olivia due to her giving poor advice that Inigo took way too seriously. (Plus, though I wouldn't personally fall for either of their flatteries, I think Virion does a better job than Inigo. -In truth though, Libra's the real master of flattery here.)

And that's about all I can think of at the moment.

Edited by Rohesia

As I recall, Donnel and Nah's support struck me the wrong way. Since Nah says "I was sent to with the family of one of my father's soldier friends" This makes sense for Gregor but for Donnel, it makes me think that someone in my army is a racist. Heh heh, I'm gonna make whoever that was say hello to Anna in Apotheosis.

Another one would be Nah claiming her father to be more mature than her mom, which in the case of Henry and Ricken wouldn't make much sense.

As they are now, yes that's true. But with Ricken, it's stated in his endings he realises how immature he was being and grows up.

(Plus Nah really didn't know her parents that well. She doesn't really see Nowi is actually pretty mature -at least at first she didn't.)

Edited by Rohesia