Hyrule Warriors

kingddd

Um, so? This has nothing to do with what I stated in that post.

it does, actually, since a player avatar should really be, y'know, someone the player can identify as

and some women might possibly have issues identifying with a male avatar

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it does, actually, since a player avatar should really be, y'know, someone the player can identify as

and some women might possibly have issues identifying with a male avatar

Then Link isn't an avatar, as I said before.

Then Link isn't an avatar, as I said before.

sorry, but I'd rather take Shigeru Miyamoto's word over yours

imo he is rather more qualified to weigh in on that

hope you understand

Link has been literally stated to be the "link" to the player.

Like, player avatar are words that have been used to describe him by Nintendo (or at least people who work there).

And the Pokémon protagonists have been exclusively white for 17 years, what's your point?

Excellent responses.

Tradition is only worth keeping if it's for the better.

Whatever. It's apparent that this will never go anywhere and it isn't even really on topic anyway. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

EDIT: I don't want to feel awkward about a series I've loved for so long, simple as that.

Edited by Anacybele

If you have such a huge issue with Link being female, then maybe don't play as a woman, since you'd have that choice?

I'd still play as male Link, yes. But giving Link a female option, imo, would also reduce the chance of an entirely different female protagonist fighting alongside him someday. We've had multiplayer Zelda in the form of Four Swords and Four Swords Adventures, so it's not too farfetched a possibility. You could say to just give that female character a male option, but then at that point you might as well stick with just Link since he'd already be able to be a girl or a boy.

Edited by Anacybele

I'd still play as male Link, yes. But giving Link a female option, imo, would also reduce the chance of an entirely different female protagonist fighting alongside him someday. We've had multiplayer Zelda in the form of Four Swords and Four Swords Adventures, so it's not too farfetched a possibility. You could say to just give that female character a male option, but then at that point you might as well stick with just Link since he'd already be able to be a girl or a boy.

That's like saying Zelda would be male if Link were female. There's no reason a female companion couldn't exist if Link could be female, and a female companion is definitely not preferable to female protagonist choice.

But it looks more like you just want a budding romance between Link and his female childhood friend.

That's like saying Zelda would be male if Link were female. There's no reason a female companion couldn't exist if Link could be female, and a female companion is definitely not preferable to female protagonist choice.

But it looks more like you just want a budding romance between Link and his female childhood friend.

When was the last time you saw Nintendo make a game with two main protagonists that were BOTH female? I've yet to see one. Japanese seem to favor males over females and like having the females play second fiddle. It's sad and unfortunate, but it's true.

Actually, no. Unless that childhood friend is Zelda, I would make Link's female companion a relative of his or just a friend. I actually am giving the character I created an entirely different love interest.

Edited by Anacybele

I'd still play as male Link, yes. But giving Link a female option, imo, would also reduce the chance of an entirely different female protagonist fighting alongside him someday.

So?

I actually am giving the character I created an entirely different love interest.

I don't see what your fanfic has to do with allowing players the option to play as their gender.

Edited by Silent Letters

When was the last time you saw Nintendo make a game with two main protagonists that were BOTH female? I've yet to see one. Japanese seem to favor males over females and like having the females play second fiddle. It's sad and unfortunate, but it's true.

That is much more the video game industry than Japan. And there's never a bad time to start being progressive.

And, Ana, it would be an option. For the love of Christ. It would be male Link/female companion OR female Link/female companion. What about this "options" subject are you not grasping? A female option should not hinder any story-related matters unless there's supposed to be a romance (well, I would actually disagree myself, but this is Nintendo), but according to you, that's not even what you're looking for. In which case, a platonic relationship shouldn't need to change anything except some dialogue.

Actually, no. Unless that childhood friend is Zelda, I would make Link's female companion a relative of his or just a friend. I actually am giving the character I created an entirely different love interest.

So it's still about you and your fanfics and headcanon.

Good to know.

Unfortunately, at this point I think we've gone a bit too far off-topic, so this will be my last post on the matter. If only so you don't accuse me of "getting the last word," you can respond once more to this post if you'd like, but that will be the end unless you want to take it to PM.

So?

I don't see what your fanfic has to do with allowing players the option to play as their gender.

So, I said I'd rather have an entirely different female protagonist.

And it doesn't, I was just correcting Red Fox on something.

I'm still a bit miffed about not being able to get the pre-order bonuses, but it's fine.

I'm rather curious if Adventure Mode will be endless a la DW 4&5's Xtreme Mode or something more akin to DW8's Ambition Mode.(looking more like the latter, but still curious)

Yeah, I still really want that scarf... Not just because it looks so awesome, but it would also help keep me warm when the weather gets cold again. I hate the cold...

But I don't understand why we don't at least get the scarf. We got the FE Awakening 3DS bundle, which Nintendo didn't even EXPECT to sell that well out here (because of how they didn't ship enough copies to meet the demand upon release), but they don't give us a ZELDA preorder bonus, something that surely WOULD sell out here since it's freaking ZELDA? :(

Edited by Anacybele

Kaepora Gaebora and his wall of texts don't even get to make a cameo :(

Also the only thing I can see changing with a female Link option is that they might end up toning down everybody and their mum hitting on Link in places.

Yeah, I still really want that scarf... Not just because it looks so awesome, but it would also help keep me warm when the weather gets cold again. I hate the cold...

But I don't understand why we don't at least get the scarf. We got the FE Awakening 3DS bundle, which Nintendo didn't even EXPECT to sell that well out here (because of how they didn't ship enough copies to meet the demand upon release), but they don't give us a ZELDA preorder bonus, something that surely WOULD sell out here since it's freaking ZELDA? :(

In retrospect... I believe it's in Koei Tecmo fashion for the US side to not get the bonuses... though, I don't expect you have prior knowledge of Koei Tecmo's dealings, this is just about the norm for them.

They usually only do JP and sometimes EU, I don't recall a time when the US got pre-order bonuses from KT.

I'm a bit sad the revealed characters are apparently the whole cast. I guess I hyped myself too much.

On the topic of female Link, I just want to say I agree with Ana that even though Link is supposed to represent the player, he isn't technically an avatar. He's an established character. If he makes a guest appearance in another game, or in advertising, etc he is always Link. Mario is also a silent protagonist and arguably stands in for the player, but would anyone really like a female Mario? IMO it's just lazy to make a "gender swap" of the main protagonist. Even Pokémon doesn't do that. A counterpart is much better. Have the option to play as Link or his twin sister. Have something about the Triforce of Courage being split between them or something. They can go on the same adventure and do the same things, but each is their own character.

I also find it a little odd how so many people suddenly say they would relate better to a female Link yet I've seen no discussion on a non-white non-blonde non-thin Link. :/

Without getting into the whole avatar/not avatar link thing, it's more likely that Koei and co. above anyone else would go through with a female link (then again, the link in the new Zelda looks rather feminine) considering this is both a non-canon game and I think it would be fitting of their character. They already have done some genderswaps with characters such as Sanzang and Hu Zhi (a genderswap of Xu Chu/Xu Zhu). That said, if they are just concept stuff then there's no guarantee (and probably even unlikely) it's even in the game like RFoF said.

(Also noting that Saika Magoichi is a genderswap in similiar game Sengoku Basara, but that is a Capcom series.)

Edited by Tryhard

Link's weapon list has been confirmed.

[spoiler=Midna's moves and Link's five movesets]Sword and Shield
Master Sword (gets its own moveset)
Magic Rod
Gauntlets
Great Fairy.

Yes. You play as the GF in Link's last moveset. She puts him in the bottle from the concept art. I don't know why she wasn't her own character honestly...

Also, Midna doesn't have a second moveset...

I'm a bit sad the revealed characters are apparently the whole cast. I guess I hyped myself too much.

That is a bit of a disappointment. I guess the speculation with Lana being a member of a trio was for naught.

On the topic of female Link, I just want to say I agree with Ana that even though Link is supposed to represent the player, he isn't technically an avatar. He's an established character. If he makes a guest appearance in another game, or in advertising, etc he is always Link. Mario is also a silent protagonist and arguably stands in for the player, but would anyone really like a female Mario? IMO it's just lazy to make a "gender swap" of the main protagonist. Even Pokémon doesn't do that. A counterpart is much better. Have the option to play as Link or his twin sister. Have something about the Triforce of Courage being split between them or something. They can go on the same adventure and do the same things, but each is their own character.

That would honestly be perfectly fine. In a way, it's what the Pokemon games already do, with the character you didn't choose playing a specific role alongside the player. Really, I think the only reason we were talking specifically about a gender swapped Link is because that's what we've just seen as concept art.

Mario is not a player avatar like Link is, though. His games have essentially no story in the first place and you can't change his name.

Count me disappointed with the final roster size too. To be fair, 15 playable characters isn't exactly a small number, but I just came from Dynasty Warriors 8 XL, which has 82 characters, each with their own unique moveset. It's kinda hard not to be disappointed after that.