Hyrule Warriors

kingddd

Is it a little sad that Hyrule Warriors is the first Zelda game to feature gender choice for the protagonist?

Awesome either way, though.

Yes, it is rather sad, imo. Link was always male, even if he did look feminine sometimes and has next to no personality. It's not like FE where there's a bunch of different protagonists, male and female.

I would be okay with a female main protagonist separate from Link, such as Zelda or a new character entirely, but a female Link? Just no.

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To Quintessence: Sort of...

[spoiler=Not story based, but gameplay/theory based]Midna's second weapon was scrapped, the Master Sword gets a whole moveset, and Ruto and Agitha are Free-Mode only. However, one of my story theories was actually proven correct, so there is that.

;_;

Edited by Maester Indigo

Sort of...

[spoiler=Not story based, but gameplay/theory based]Midna's second weapon was scrapped, the Master Sword gets a whole moveset, and Ruto and Agitha are Free-Mode only. However, one of my story theories was actually proven correct, so there is that.

;_;

Well, don't get disappointed just yet. Unless this is a one-game thing, and not a potential spin-off series where those sort of things can expand.

I would be okay with a female main protagonist separate from Link, such as Zelda or a new character entirely, but a female Link? Just no.

Why not? Link is a player avatar just like the Pokemon trainers. A silent protagonist that the player can name and is supposed to be a stand-in for the player should always have choice of gender imo, especially in an RPG or RPG-like setting - such as Zelda.

What I wonder now is how this female Link will be usable in game. Available from the start? Unlockable? Actually in the game at all? (It's on a page with unused concept art and doesn't seem to be confirmed as appearing in game at all, after all)

Why not? Link is a player avatar just like the Pokemon trainers. A silent protagonist that the player can name and is supposed to be a stand-in for the player should always have choice of gender imo, especially in an RPG or RPG-like setting - such as Zelda.

Except he's not silent (I'm sick of telling people over and over that Link can talk just the same as everyone else, his dialogue is just never shown), nor is he an Avatar. You can't customize anything about him except for a couple tunics and swords, you could never choose his gender or voice, although you could choose his responses to some things. But he's hardly comparable to Fire Emblem's Avatar or Animal Crossing's villager.

Giving Link a gender option now just seems really awkward and out of place, imo.

Except he's not silent (I'm sick of telling people over and over that Link can talk just the same as everyone else, his dialogue is just never shown), nor is he an Avatar. You can't customize anything about him except for a couple tunics and swords, you could never choose his gender or voice, although you could choose his responses to some things. But he's hardly comparable to Fire Emblem's Avatar or Animal Crossing's villager.

Giving Link a gender option now just seems really awkward and out of place, imo.

av276.jpg

*Giggle*

What about Breath Of Fire?

What about Earthbound?

What about Chrono Trigger? Upon these gaming series', the hero is the silent protagonist. Even so, they still can talk upon selecting Yes/No options.

Edited by Bimbo

Robin is less of a player avatar than Link, lol. That is, in terms of personality, since Robin has a very distinctly written character while Link is essentially a blank slate.

Link is silent. It doesn't matter if he might have dialogue that's never shown, the fact that we get no dialogue from him makes him silent (and I don't think you can prove that he has some kind of hidden dialogue anyway). And then, there's not some line of customization detail that makes a character a player avatar or not. For the most part, if you can name the character yourself, you can consider it a player avatar (why else would you be able to name the character you play as?). Link also has the bonus of being a silent character.

Look at Pokemon. At first, it was just a lone, silent male character you could name. Eventually the female option was added, and eventually many more appearance customization options were added. "Link has always been male" is not an excuse, especially when Nintendo has already shown that that isn't a limiting factor for them.

I'm pretty sure that Linkette isn't even anymore than concept art anyway, especially since she looks so much like Zelda.

C2YxMj.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/princess.zelda.1884

Here is a Linkette and...

92gj.jpg

*Giggle*

This will also get all people who think that Sheik is male was ever so wrong.

Edited by Bimbo

Robin is less of a player avatar than Link, lol. That is, in terms of personality, since Robin has a very distinctly written character while Link is essentially a blank slate.

Link is silent. It doesn't matter if he might have dialogue that's never shown, the fact that we get no dialogue from him makes him silent (and I don't think you can prove that he has some kind of hidden dialogue anyway). And then, there's not some line of customization detail that makes a character a player avatar or not. For the most part, if you can name the character yourself, you can consider it a player avatar (why else would you be able to name the character you play as?). Link also has the bonus of being a silent character.

Look at Pokemon. At first, it was just a lone, silent male character you could name. Eventually the female option was added, and eventually many more appearance customization options were added. "Link has always been male" is not an excuse, especially when Nintendo has already shown that that isn't a limiting factor for them.

How is Robin less of an Avatar when he/she is way more customizable? The only difference is that Robin has visible dialogue and even then, the Japanese version of Awakening has a "silent" option.

And Link most definitely talks and is not silent. And I can prove it. His lips are shown moving in many cutscenes when he's paying attention to other characters, TWW Link actually has a couple voiced lines ("Come on!" and "Yay!"), and how else would he be telling all kinds of people his name?

Pokemon added the female option in its second pair of games though. Link never got any sort of female option in the past...15 or so games he's had? This shows me that Nintendo would like to keep him male and I'm just fine with that.

I think RFoF is saying Robin has a defined character in FE13 opposed to Link who has relatively no character in his games aside from "TRIFORCE OF COURAGE" or "Childhood friend with Zelda" in some and whatnot

Link has been given some consistent characteristics though, such as being lazy and a heavy sleeper (he sleeps a lot and is called lazy in several games. OoT, TWW, TMC, SS, TP etc.). Makes you wonder just how he gets by with almost no sleep during his adventuring. xP

How is Robin less of an Avatar when he/she is way more customizable? The only difference is that Robin has visible dialogue and even then, the Japanese version of Awakening has a "silent" option.

I think RFoF is saying Robin has a defined character in FE13 opposed to Link who has relatively no character in his games aside from "TRIFORCE OF COURAGE" or "Childhood friend with Zelda" in some and whatnot

It pretty much is exactly what I already said but yeah.

An avatar is more a character you're supposed to insert yourself into the shoes of than one you can customize the appearance of (yes, customization is important to a player avatar, it just isn't the fundamental property). In that way, Link is more of a player avatar than Robin because Robin is much more of a defined character.

It's also too bad the English versions of the game didn't include the silent option. Silent Robin would likely be more along the lines of Link, but I'd need to see it what it's like to really make a judgement.

And Link most definitely talks and is not silent. And I can prove it. His lips are shown moving in many cutscenes when he's paying attention to other characters, TWW Link actually has a couple voiced lines ("Come on!" and "Yay!"), and how else would he be telling all kinds of people his name?

Personally, I would attribute WW Link's lines to be more along the lines of combat grunts, but hey, I'll give you this much. Thing is, it still doesn't actually matter because we never hear (read) any of it. Thus, he still counts as a silent character, just like the Pokemon trainers. I mean, come on, any silent character in video gaming can be argued to 'technically' have dialogue that just isn't seen, but they're still considered silent characters.

On a side note, Portal even makes fun of this "silent protagonist" trope by occasionally referring to Chell being mute, even though the devs themselves said that Chell can talk but chooses not to.

Pokemon added the female option in its second pair of games though. Link never got any sort of female option in the past...15 or so games he's had? This shows me that Nintendo would like to keep him male and I'm just fine with that.

Better late than never. And it's not like adding a female option would fundamentally change the way the game works, anyway, so I have no idea why you would be opposed to this. It is something you could literally just ignore and it would never bother you, but the players who like it would also have what they want.

It pretty much is exactly what I already said but yeah.

An avatar is more a character you're supposed to insert yourself into the shoes of than one you can customize the appearance of (yes, customization is important to a player avatar, it just isn't the fundamental property). In that way, Link is more of a player avatar than Robin because Robin is much more of a defined character.

It's also too bad the English versions of the game didn't include the silent option. Silent Robin would likely be more along the lines of Link, but I'd need to see it what it's like to really make a judgement.

Personally, I would attribute WW Link's lines to be more along the lines of combat grunts, but hey, I'll give you this much. Thing is, it still doesn't actually matter because we never hear (read) any of it. Thus, he still counts as a silent character, just like the Pokemon trainers. I mean, come on, any silent character in video gaming can be argued to 'technically' have dialogue that just isn't seen, but they're still considered silent characters.

On a side note, Portal even makes fun of this "silent protagonist" trope by occasionally referring to Chell being mute, even though the devs themselves said that Chell can talk but chooses not to.

Better late than never. And it's not like adding a female option would fundamentally change the way the game works, anyway, so I have no idea why you would be opposed to this. It is something you could literally just ignore and it would never bother you, but the players who like it would also have what they want.

Alright, fair enough. I still don't consider Link to be an Avatar character, but we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Yeah, but the later such a feature is added, the more awkward it feels. Because I've been playing Zelda for so many years, I'm so used to Link being only male that the idea of him suddenly getting a female version is weird.

Golden Sun does the same with Isaac and Matthew. lol. They only "talk" by yes and no options or emotions, but they make a reference as to how he really does talk... he just mumbles and is super quiet. lol

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

As for the female "Link," it'd be interesting, but I'd rather keep the male only Link...

[spoiler=as he is...]supposed to be reincarnated over and over and over

I'm not opposed to a female counterpart kicking ass beside him though. Link has had sisters in the past, and there isn't anything stopping him from having a twin sister, either. Just, you know, giving his past and plot device, male just suits him best.

I can honestly say that I can't understand why you love the idea of a female protagonist and yet can't stand the idea of Link himself having a female version. I mean, Link's been called a girl since the first game, so I really don't see the problem with making him one for once, even just as an entirely optional choice in a side game. :/

Link has also been explicitly stated as being a player avatar by Miyamoto himself, calling him the link connecting the player to the game. I know I can't speak for everyone, but I find it far easier to immerse myself into the game when I'm playing as a female rather than a male. And given that Link is meant to be the player avatar, I feel like he should have the option of being a woman. Making him have a twin sister or some other female relation doesn't really work either, because that just tells me that I'm not allowed to be the hero if I'm a girl. And that's not fair.

The whole reincarnation thing doesn't eliminate the possibility either, since it's possible to reincarnate into another gender (or species for that matter). Even then, the Triforce is never locked to one person, as each piece goes to the person who most values/represents that trait if they have an unbalanced spirit. Hell, Link didn't even have the Triforce of Courage to begin with. ithe first game it was introduced, The Adventure of Link, the King of Hyrule had it before sealing it in the Great Palace for someone to later prove themselves worthy of it.

Edited by Kon

But Link ISN'T a girl and he never has been one. Like I said, he's been only male for more than 25 years now, so giving him a female option at this point would just feel awkward. A female playable protagonist that's an entirely different character is another story entirely.

But Link ISN'T a girl and he never has been one. Like I said, he's been only male for more than 25 years now, so giving him a female option at this point would just feel awkward. A female playable protagonist that's an entirely different character is another story entirely.

Link has been literally stated to be the "link" to the player.

Like, player avatar are words that have been used to describe him by Nintendo (or at least people who work there).

Link has been literally stated to be the "link" to the player.

Like, player avatar are words that have been used to describe him by Nintendo (or at least people who work there).

Um, so? This has nothing to do with what I stated in that post.

And the Pokémon protagonists have been exclusively white for 17 years, what's your point?