Super Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U Tournament Hub (Please see post #1644)

Ema Skye

i defeated sb 2-0

in a i'll be GONE in a few hours until tomorrow when i'll be out for a majority of the day, so if the loser of ice/quint could pm me when their match is over so we can sort out a time to play that'd be FANTASTIC :)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I took so long, but I'm ready now.

Got a room up, join whenever!

Gemma beats Red Fox of Fire 2-1

Two misfire KOs B)

I will never choose Tortimer's Island again X_X

ggs, that last one was too intense

Edited by Gemma

Gemma should be disqualified, he drafted Olimar but used Alph.

GGs, Gemma got me 2-1. I'm really not as good with Peach as I should be.

And yeah, 3rd match was really close.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

@Jave - please specify what happens in case of the match running to time.

might as well post context, even if I kinda hate being "that guy" about it:

The first game me and Gemma played went to Sudden Death, stocks were equal, I was at ~50% and he was at ~100% and I lost because of Sudden Death. Since Euk brought up what's the ruling (since it apparently varies in official tourneys?) and stuff I looked up say that SD isn't played:

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Sudden_Death#In_competitive_play

http://www.apex-series.com/rules/brawl/

(2nd link is Brawl rules but the reasoning holds I guess)

ofc the dynamic of this kind of tourney means me winning game 1 would change the "mindgames" of character choice so it's really a kind of muddy area, competitively I would've won, but I'll go with w/e SF's house rules are.

Edited by PKLucas531

If you guys have already decided on the matches, we'll leave it so Sudden Death is played normally, since it looks some matches were already decided that way.

Does SF has a house rule on this? I couldn't find any specifics on the other tournaments' rules.

Official rule for sudden deaths is usually lower percent/more stocks wins. Though that same rule punishes stalling to abuse said rule (can't really enforce this part without a third part to judge). The actual sudden death means nothing.

Edited by Knife

If you guys have already decided on the matches, we'll leave it so Sudden Death is played normally, since it looks some matches were already decided that way.

Does SF has a house rule on this? I couldn't find any specifics on the other tournaments' rules.

In all the previous discussions it's been "wow shit I should've specified that we should've been using percents"

pretty sure it's happened at least twice now? people are bad at specifying this, it seems

"house rules" aren't really a thing but consensus is that going with the standard "official" tourney rules (whoever has the lower percent wins) is the superior option

EDIT: someone should make up a vanilla "base ruleset" that people can copy and paste (and then modify for the particular quirks / gimmicks / w/e of their tournaments), imo

Edited by Euklyd

yo quint, when are you avaliable tomorrow (today? the 8th) I'm going to a party that afternoon and will probably be out of commission until sunday afternoon depending on how much of a good time I have.

I'm avaliable for a good chunk of the day though.

Elieson and Febro should get their round 1 game done soon.

I'd also appreciate it if Void and Jedi could play their games sooner rather than later, since I'm fighting the winner.

And with regards to the whole sudden death thing - I always assumed it was the person with the highest stock/lowest damage percentage that won the round. If that's not the case here, then I'd happily vote to completely get rid of time constraints in matches to completely avoid sudden death.

Elieson and Febro should get their round 1 game done soon.

I'd also appreciate it if Void and Jedi could play their games sooner rather than later, since I'm fighting the winner.

And with regards to the whole sudden death thing - I always assumed it was the person with the highest stock/lowest damage percentage that won the round. If that's not the case here, then I'd happily vote to completely get rid of time constraints in matches to completely avoid sudden death.

your assumption is a good one imo :V

it would probably be a good idea to have like, a general rule - explicitly stated in the OP / Google Doc - that like,

"If the win condition in the case of running out of time is not specified by the Tournament Organizer, then the person with the highest stock (or, in the case of a stock tie, the lower damage percent) is the winner."

Doofina plz make it happen :newyears:

I personally don't see the issue with sudden death. It still requires skill to beat your opponent and they are super intense. As someone pointed out earlier too, low percentage victories really encourage stalling and camping.

I personally don't see the issue with sudden death. It still requires skill to beat your opponent and they are super intense. As someone pointed out earlier too, low percentage victories really encourage stalling and camping.

The issue (well, one of them) is that it rewards stalling.

If you and I are both on our last stocks, and you're clearly beating me

like, I'm at 80% and you're at 20% and the gap is only widening

but!

I see there's only thirty seconds left!

then I can just stall and go to sudden death and then it's a crapshoot as to who wins

even if I'm at 150% and you're at 30% and you were clearly going to win

the other thing is that it rewards an entirely different type of skill, and is far more dependent on who lands the first blow, as to who lands a decisive killing blow

so some characters will be much better at it