Samus (regular) and Ike are candidates for bottom tier

Knife

I played Samus a lot in both Brawl and Smash 4, and she seems to be better overall in Smash 4, but not with some nerfs. Though definitely not bottom tier.

In Brawl her only good kill move was her d-tilt, which is sightly nerfed in this game, but in exchange her f-smash, u-smash, Charge Shot and Screw Attack became viable KO options which is well worth the trade off. However her z-air is not as good as in Brawl, which I loved spamming back then :,(

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the buffs Ike received from the 1.04 update, there is no way he is bottom tier material now, especially with that new auto-cancelling F-air. The Ike forums over at Smashboards are ecstatic. ^-^

Edited by Xuan Wu

Now that I think of it, I'm actually surprised Ike's Down Taunt wasn't able to do this. I guess it remains a trait exclusive to Luigi. ^-^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8kXnF0t8Sk

Get that Project M outta here.

I heard Ike and Shulk were the most notably buffed.

That seems to be the case, with Kirby and ZSS not far behind.

I'm ecstatic too! Sakurai has done so much awesome stuff for Ike in this game that it's unbelievable. Does he like Ike or what? ^^

EDIT: Wait, ZSS got MORE buffs? WTF? she was already fucking top tier.

Edited by Anacybele

ZSS didn't get a lot; my research just points to her (standard and custom) blasters being altered a bit in terms of how they function when airborne, and her throw trajectory/other knockbacks allowing her to combo her standard UpB kick into it. I don't think she got much beyond that.

Actually have a list

Zero Suit Samus:
+ Side-b now connects properly (first hit always launches into second hit if you're close, though you still get some weird rogue hits on the outer part of the whip). Total animation time is reduced heavily, making it safer.
+ Fsmash is now faster to recover and thus safer on block. By how much I'm not sure.
+ Close range down smash is better on block. By how much I'm not sure, though in testing it seems I can jab before the opponent can drop shield (like brawl).
+ Air dodge lag increased to 22f from 15f
+/- Paralyzer Shot's small shot range reduced, however you can now release the attack before it finishes charging.
- Down throw launch angle changed slightly; the opponent is now launched less horizontally and at lower percents a little bit lower.
- Same change for down tilt; the opponent is now launched less horizontally and at lower percents a little bit lower.

Less sure about:
+ Up b seems to connect better in the air. (now with more "probably for real this timeâ„¢")
+/- Fsmash's angle of KB seems different, more horizontal instead of a corner KO angle.
- Zair ledge tether range reduced
+ Up-b's KB doesn't seem to be staling at all.

Custome Moves:
Paralyzer -
+ Blast Shot can now be fired before it is fully charged, but incurs normal landing lag (was way lower before )
+ Spreading Shot now deals 10% damage (up from 6%) and lasts long enough for ZSS to get a follow-up (wore off before ZSS could even move before, weird)

Boost Kick:
+ Impact Kick now properly absorbs the target so that the final hit connects properly
+ Lateral Kick now allows ZSS full aerial movement during special fall

Plasma Whip:
+ Whip Lash got the same buff as normal side-b: less animation time, so safer on block and more follow-ups.

Flip Jump:
+ Low Flip travels faster across the field (?)

Edited by Sara.

I don't know, I see quite a bit of plus signs in that list.

To be honest the buffs don't sound too drastic, but we'll see in time.

I'm just glad Ike, Shulk and Meta got stuff

Well, I'm quite happy that my main and one of my most used secondaries got buffed. (Shulk and Ike) Ike's F-Air is pretty great now. I haven't played Brawl in ages, but if I remember correctly it's faster than his old F-Air now. Also, since Ike's D-Tilt sends people upwards now, it links pretty well into F-Air.

Edited by Monado Boy

Yeah, this update clearly knocks Ike out of bottom. His approach got way, way better. He's still low tier though IMO, unless his tilts/smashes hit harder now too. In case some of you have been living in a cave, here's the highlights:

Ike's Fair is significantly faster Looks like it can autocancel as well

Neutral Aerial seems to be quicker

Jab looks fixed so all 3 attacks connect properly

Ending lag on his Forward-tilt and Down-tilt reduced

Back air's damages increased by 1%

With no clear nerfs. Autocancelling Fair is the main buff here.

Samus, I'm not sure about, but there are rumors of Charge Shot getting even stronger with more damage and knockback.

Edited by Knife

Yes, no debate there, but compared to everyone else, it's the issue they weren't buffed enough.

I'd disagree on that. Ike's buffs are quite significant (F-Air is now amazing, slightly better N-Air, etc), while Shulk's fix up a lot of his issues. (His F-Air has a lot less landing lag now, the second hits of his U-Smash and F-Smash connect a lot more consistently, Monado Speed's damage is much better, he takes less damage in Buster than he did before, most of his attacks have more knockback, and every attack excluding Back Slash does more damage)

Edited by Monado Boy

Yeah, f-air is probably even godlier now than it was in Brawl despite it not having as much range anymore! It's just really fast AND powerful. Ike's jab is about as good as it was in Brawl too, and n-air is a bit better. It's just like Monado Boy said. Ike might be in the upper mid tiers now, maybe even better than Marth. lol

Edited by Anacybele

(For some reason, I can't quote Monado Boy :/ But I'll reply anyways!)
Sorry, I hadn't seen the update until a few min's ago.

What I meant was, the update hyped itself up, sounding like everyone and their mother would get a boost. I was saying that if everyone got such a boost, was Ike's boost worthy enough to put him in good terms?
And I screwed around with him a bit, and I've gotta admit... the Radiant Hero seems a bit more flexible.

And finally I can land Link's second strike with his smash attack!

Thing is, now I'm itchin' to play some peeps. People... err... what would be the correct term...

...Smash? Here regularly, right? Smash Matches are common in deez forums?

Cause' I want in!

(For some reason, I can't quote Monado Boy :/ But I'll reply anyways!)

Sorry, I hadn't seen the update until a few min's ago.

What I meant was, the update hyped itself up, sounding like everyone and their mother would get a boost. I was saying that if everyone got such a boost, was Ike's boost worthy enough to put him in good terms?

And I screwed around with him a bit, and I've gotta admit... the Radiant Hero seems a bit more flexible.

And finally I can land Link's second strike with his smash attack!

Thing is, now I'm itchin' to play some peeps. People... err... what would be the correct term...

...Smash? Here regularly, right? Smash Matches are common in deez forums?

Cause' I want in!

Well if Ryuga was able to beat tournament level Rosalina's, Greninjas with Ike before the buff. Just imagine what really skilled Ike's can do now

Ike is pretty much guaranteed mid tier with the 1.0.4 update, possibly even higher with customs enabled. I am more than satisfied his viability is now on par with the other Fire Emblem characters. ^-^

D-tilt and F-air are, without a doubt, going to be the future for Ike's metagame, especially the latter. A faster F-air, along with auto-cancelling, opens a wide array of new options, such as WoP (Wall of Pain) as seen in the following.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2XUI-g_7OA

Edited by Xuan Wu

Ooh, that's sweet! :o Especially since Greninja was the victim. I don't like him. xP

Greninja's like that ONE fighter that while I have a whole set of custom moves and items for, I never... Ever use him.

I just feel relatively derpy when I fight with him.

Out of curiosity... How good are Peach and Zelda? Were they buffed or noifed?

Peach was nerfed by mechanical changes rather than actual nerfs to her moves. She can't cancel the turnip plucking animation nor can she cancel other animations by throwing a turnip, and the lack of move staling on her aerials while floating was fixed so they reduce in damage and knockback as they should have in the first place. However it equals to a pretty huge nerf for her success in high-tier gameplay while for mid and low tier play she's barely changed.

Zelda has functionally not changed. Her uptilt deals slightly more damage, but she did not go through any tweaks of significance.

Wouldn't her up special be considered a buff? It's one of the best kill moves in the game now

Farore's Wind has always been good in Smash 4. I just listed off differences between patch 1.0.3 and 1.0.4. Zelda's sweetspots are overall much easier to land than in Brawl and her speed is slightly better, and now she has a solid kill move that combos into itself in Farore's Wind, which also happens to make camping Zelda's recovery incredibly dangerous.

It's still early though, usually Zelda starts off pretty well until the metagame develops and then tends to drop. Right now is still advantageous to her as people continually forget that Zelda can pull out KOs very suddenly.