What could have made SSB4 better?

As the title states. Here's what I think should have been added to make SSB4 better.

-A name.It's just "Super smash bros for 3ds/wiiu" What happened to adding that battle word,like for ssb2 and ssb3 which was called super smash bros brawl and melee?

-I honestly hated the sonic alts. Where's the shadow /silver alts?Possibly classic sonic alt too?

-Maybe a ghostly adventures patman alt?

-Theres a daisy and and blood falcon alt for peach and captain falcon, but why wasnt the name changed like bowser jr's alts?

-If I'm wrong about this sorry,but there should be a purple luigi alt that looks like waluigi.

-Birdo alt for yoshi

-Lucina's alts were characters in FEA that weren't her possible mothers. (besides Sumia) Cordelia alt was weird,because it just gives you some Chrom x Cordelia theories o_O I wanted a olivia alt, and maribelle alt too.Lissa alt could be replaced with maribelle,because incest is not wincest in smash bros :/

-Shiny alt for lucario.I will DEFINETLY use that.

-Lucas alt for ness

-Demise alt for ganon

-Dr mario and dark pit should have just been alts. Maybe toon link,falco,and Lucina too

-Dixie alt for diddy

This all sounds like fanservice but whatever :P What do u think could make ssb4 better?

Edited by BlazeX635

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree on the alts thing. Peach should've gotten a true Daisy swap like Bowser Jr. got the Koopalings. Just replace Toad with a big flower and Peach Blossom with Daisy Blossom. They'd function exactly the same, the only differences being aesthetic.

Sonic should've gotten Shadow as well. Even though I've never played a Sonic game, I like Shadow because of the Super Mario Bros. Z Youtube show. :(

And Lucario should've gotten a shiny coloration...

Ike should've gotten Vanguard. And Luigi should've gotten Mr. L. Mr. L isn't even as obscure as Mario's stars and stripes!

Alternate hair styles for Robin would be nice too.

As for something non-alternate related, a Zelda newcomer would've definitely been nice, preferably Vaati from the Four Sword games. As would have Dixie Kong for a DK newcomer.

Edited by Anacybele

Not judging asthetics at this point as I feel that won't necessarily make the game better.

For me, the For Glory Online mode should have been a mixture of battlefield and FD maps mixed together instead of FD only style maps. One of the problems with FD is that it gives a significant advantage to characters that have projectile based attacks while completely gimping characters that don't. It also makes Little Mac really good in For Glory mode because of this style of map. Because of the flat surfaces, it rewards defensive playing more than offensive playing instead of a good mixture of both. This was a major problem in Brawl where defense dominated 1 vs 1.

Competitive players in North America play battlefield style maps a lot more often than FD to prevent the staley and campy style of gameplay. Unlike Japan where it's all FD for competitive only. Platforms help prevent constant project spamming and allows the players to attack in a lot more possible angles from below rather than the flat foot. At this point, I pretty much stopped playing For Glory online as the FD style of gameplay doesn't really correspond to the competitive balance nature of smash bros very well. After all, the characters are balanced for all stages and not just FD.

Well, just a few things I've thought of:

-Make shielding the moment you start a dash possible.

-Reduce landing lag from air attacks in general.

-Give us more movement options. I don't care if it's wave dashing (it would be cool though) or something else, I'd just like more ways to move around than just Running/Walking/Jumping/Rolling.

-Make attacks that have multiple hits chain better. (Shulk's F-Smash, U-Smash, and Jab are examples of moves that tend to knock people out of the second hit's range during the first hit)

-Give every character an alternate costume rather than just a few. (Recolors don't count as alternate costumes)

-3ds version should have had Smashville as well, and For Glory should have used Final Destination, Smashville, and Battlefield.

Edited by Monado Boy

something that adds depth like (dare i say it) wavedashing. i'm not the one who said this (i forget who), but the game is like a glorified rock paper scissors. shield, grab, attack is the name of the game, and it's somewhat irritating to me. i also don't like how everything is bad on shield (except grab but w/e), so shield pressure is almost nonexistent.

oh and make stuff technical. it's sort of nice to be rewarded for tech skill if you don't have the mindgames of a god. it'd give more variety for what makes players good.

i also want a red and shiny lucario alt.

edit: basically what shulk said.

and why do i feel like sakurai's thought process was "if i make every more similar to that type the cast will be balanced". by that i mean that there aren't really any quick and strong smash attacks or stuff like marth's old grab range (oh yeah give us some effing grab followups). everything is generally restricted to their archtypes and i find it really bland. it's also why i play jiggles because of rest (oh yeah that was nerfed too).

edit 2: fuck the bounce mechanic and rage. stale move negation affecting knockback is also dumb.

edit 3: you know what, i'll just say it. make the game like melee. that game had cool stuff like crouch canceling, wavedashing, etc. just tweak the engine enough to make it better for casual players.

Edited by Comet

something that adds depth like (dare i say it) wavedashing. i'm not the one who said this (i forget who), but the game is like a glorified rock paper scissors. shield, grab, attack is the name of the game, and it's somewhat irritating to me. i also don't like how everything is bad on shield (except grab but w/e), so shield pressure is almost nonexistent.

oh and make stuff technical. it's sort of nice to be rewarded for tech skill if you don't have the mindgames of a god. it'd give more variety for what makes players good.

i also want a red and shiny lucario alt.

edit: basically what shulk said.

and why do i feel like sakurai's thought process was "if i make every more similar to that type the cast will be balanced". by that i mean that there aren't really any quick and strong smash attacks or stuff like marth's old grab range (oh yeah give us some effing grab followups). everything is generally restricted to their archtypes and i find it really bland. it's also why i play jiggles because of rest (oh yeah that was nerfed too).

edit 2: fuck the bounce mechanic and rage. stale move negation affecting knockback is also dumb.

I do agree that shield pressure should be better in this game. I think a few properly spaced/sweet spotted moves (The Tipper on some of Marth's moves, the tip of the Monado's beam during F-Smash, Sweet Spotted Knee of justice, and a number of other's that I'm too lazy to name) should be safe on shield. (And give every character at least two safe on shield moves if they are spaced properly) At least the shield does drain pretty fast though.

Speaking of Marth, make his sword at least as long as it was in Brawl. It feels like most characters that use their fists have more range than him now.

edit 3: you know what, i'll just say it. make the game like melee. that game had cool stuff like crouch canceling, wavedashing, etc. just tweak the engine enough to make it better for casual players.

I admittedly wouldn't mind this...

Edited by Monado Boy

Here a few things:

• dropping Dr. Mario and Dark Pit and adding them as an alternative costume to Mario and Pit
  • bringing Ice-Climbers, Snake and Wolf back (Wolf could replace Falco, this game needs villains)
  • creating Robin like in FE13 and the Miis (different seizes with fitting voices, more hair and eye colours)
Edited by The Taninator

My list

- Change Palutena's default moveset so that Explosive Flame and Super Speed are defaults so that this character is usable in For Glory mode without being trash.

- decloning Dark Pit and Lucina further

- Mewtwo in the main game

- More stages in 3DS version

Isaac, stages, differentiate equips from custom moves.

Other things have already been said. (stages have as well, but it bears repeating)

- The option to use an external controller!

- Making it possible to buy (as in coins) the last bit of custom moves/costumes, because relying on the RNG to finish out the collection is meh

- Retool the challenges board so that it isn't so reliant on Streetpass, for the sake of those who aren't around other Smash fans all day

And the person who suggested Falco be cut shall henceforth be banned. Leave my main alone! :P:

Edited by eclipse

It not lagging every single match.

Btw I heard a charger improves connection but that is nothing a normal player would know.

I also wish I could use a gamecube controller since on a normal 3DS I feel a bit cramped.

-Dr mario and dark pit should have just been alts. Maybe toon link,falco,and Lucina too

They were going to be alts,but were changed so much they needed to be their own character.With Toon Link,it would've been impossible due to the height difference of Link and Toon Link.They just paste on alts on models.And Falco has been a character since Melee and I don't want one Star Fox rep after having two for so long.Plus,Falco with Fox's SSB4 voice?Shoot me.

Anyway,LESS LAG.If you can fight a match on the original Pac-Maze without lag,I'm jealous.

Oh,and Mewtwo from the beginning or in an update.I'm not getting a WiiU,Smash WiiU and a Club Nintendo to only use it once for Mewtwo.

EDIT:And DLC.Fantasy Life had DLC since the beginning.Why couldn't Smash?

Take out Dark Pit?Are you insane?You must be,messing with my main.

Edited by Shadowfall

Shiny palette swaps for Pokemon characters that aren't Charizard, Pikachu or Greninja (they have the purple palette (which is close to Charizard's shiny look in GSC), the somewhat orange color w/ Choice Band, and black palette swaps respectively).

Ability to use an external controller since Circle pads break easily to many people.

Better online since it lags for a lot of people who aren't playing 1v1 For Glory mode.

Would like Ice Climbers to be back, albeit acting like Rosalina and Luma (both Ice Climbers player controlled, not just Popo being player controlled and Nana being AI controlled).

For Glory should have been a mix of Final Destination, Omega stages, Battlefield, Yoshi's Island, and possibly Arena Ferox and Lumiose City. A lot of people also wish for For Glory battles to be 3 stocks instead of only 2 stocks and that For Glory team matches to be stock matches instead of timed matches.

These are all great additions. Makes spam worse so it's harder to just abuse one good move and rage quickens games which is necessary as even in for glory I frequently take people to time with Rosalina. For that I'd suggest some/all of:

-Smaller blast zones

-Brawl ledge guarding with Melee snapping.

-Less moves which knock people back diagonally, especially throws (biggest offender amongst the characters I play for why they never kill).

I'd also say for glory should be Project:M like stages (P:M has great stages).

I personally quite like the fact that it's more about reading players and less about technical skill and I think the glorified rock-paper-scissors analogy is a bit harsh. Less aeriel lag would be cool but it's manageable.

Would like Ice Climbers to be back, albeit acting like Rosalina and Luma (both Ice Climbers player controlled, not just Popo being player controlled and Nana being AI controlled).

That would be almost impossible.It's hard enough on an original 3DS to have that for a small character,and having with both the same size will cause a lot of lag an crashes.If Sakurai does get them to work,he'll send them in DLC like they were so it's not that hard on the original 3DS hardware.

AND PLEASE DO NOT GIVE ME THAT "They can be WiiU only."SHIT.I'VE HAD ENOUGH OF THAT.True,I would like the Ice Climbers,but not at the cost of my 3DS crashing in a match with three or four of them.

AND PLEASE DO NOT GIVE ME THAT "They can be WiiU only."SHIT.I'VE HAD ENOUGH OF THAT.True,I would like the Ice Climbers,but not at the cost of my 3DS crashing in a match with three or four of them.

Ugh, I hate people who still think that there will be Wii U exclusive fighters when Sakurai himself has stated multiple times in the past that the playable roster is the same in both versions.

These are all great additions. Makes spam worse so it's harder to just abuse one good move and rage quickens games which is necessary as even in for glory I frequently take people to time with Rosalina. For that I'd suggest some/all of:

-Smaller blast zones

-Brawl ledge guarding with Melee snapping.

-Less moves which knock people back diagonally, especially throws (biggest offender amongst the characters I play for why they never kill).

I'd also say for glory should be Project:M like stages (P:M has great stages).

I personally quite like the fact that it's more about reading players and less about technical skill and I think the glorified rock-paper-scissors analogy is a bit harsh. Less aeriel lag would be cool but it's manageable.

it also means that it's harder to kill them

rock paper scissors is basically reading your opponent, which is what the game is.

That would be almost impossible.It's hard enough on an original 3DS to have that for a small character,and having with both the same size will cause a lot of lag an crashes.If Sakurai does get them to work,he'll send them in DLC like they were so it's not that hard on the original 3DS hardware.

yeah that kind of makes me wish the 3ds version didn't exist, if anything

Edited by Comet

It was all because of Melee that L-Canceling was removed in future iterations. It's been around since the very beginning of the series and I will calmly wait for its return.

I actually like how Dark Pit turned out and I don't care what people say about him. It would, however, be nice if all of his non-Special moves used different weapons from Kid Icarus Uprising (Ogre Club for side smash, First Blade for aerial attacks, Violet Palm for grab and dash attack, etc.). I really don't think Dr. Mario can be considered a clone anymore because of how much Mario has changed since Melee.

In regard to controls, make L defaulted to Shield and R defaulted to Grab. No idea what they were thinking with this, making me have to go to the controls setting the instant I pick up this game. I don't ever get cramps from the 3DS, but it would be nice for those who do get cramps if an accessory were to give the 3DS Gamecube-like grips on the sides, much like the Wii Wheel for Mario Kart.

Hey, I liked that mechanic. And the whole "make the game like Melee" is the sole reason I don't like Project M.

Online lag is pretty atrocious and the game should run on Kid Icarus's lagless servers.

And yes, smaller blast zones would be nice for the new DI mechanics.

Speaking about Ice Climbers, aren't they pretty much useless without chaingrabs?

Edited by Kiseki