Fire Emblem: Wretched Whispers, Act 2: Warpath

charlie_

Declan felt a tiny bit more at ease from Vale's reminder that, no, he was not a crook right now. Sure, he'd done some shit, killed a few innocents (who, to be fair, usually came at him first) and stole a lot, but he was out of that life now, and that was something that he could take pride in.

Then Vale suddenly started showing an intensity that he'd never shown before, and Declan's heart felt like it was skipping a beat. Something about the whole thing... captivated him, in a sense. Then came his last question... What exactly did that mean? Still... "I-I... W-well, that is, uh... It's not a huge deal now, but..." Declan trailed off and clutched his chest as his heart kept beating much quicker than he was used to.

Ba-dump, ba-dump.

"W-well, in any event, I think that I'm gonna go look around a bit... Maybe do some shopping? Ehehe... heh..." The swordsman weak-heartedly said as he slipped away from Vale and Diana and rounded the nearest corner, allowing himself to steady. If only for a little while, anyways.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diana kept listening to the two as they conversed, trying not to make it obvious that she was paying enough attention. When Declan started stammering every sentence, she figured something was up. I see... I think I can do something about that. "Give me a moment." She said to Vale, while heading toward where Declan had left.

Rounding the corner, Diana noticed Declan propped against the wall in an attempt to steady himself. "You know, running away is not going to help, Declan." Diana said curtly. "You don't get this chance every day. Take it." Diana paused. "I am going to go bid Vale farewell. It's up to you from there." Diana turned around ad left after her brief moment of irregularity.

Walking back up to Vale, Diana hailed him. "Sorry about that. I just had to go sort something out real quick. I really need to drop my stuff off soon, I should go do that. I'll see you later..." Her voice trailed off.

Walking into the inn, Diana saw not many people around. "Uh... anyone? I'm with Hart's Hollows? I recall that we had free board here, or something..." Diana questioned to no one in particular. While waiting for a response, Diana pondered what had happened outside. You know... as much as I don't feel any need for romance... I think trying to push my friends to happier places in this way is something I could get used to...

Edited by Curly Brace

"We're open! Hold on a second!" came a voice from the back room of the weapons shop. A few seconds later, a muscular middle aged man emerged, grinning as he saw Peter. "What are you after?" he asked, sizing up the mercenary. "You look like an axe kind of guy, so..." he nodded towards a couple of the axes mounted on the wall. "Do you like any of these?"

Concentration.

As long as there was a crowd watching, Magali kept the focus on her dance, nothing was to stop or distract her now. It could only be seen a face serene, unchanging, yet determined. She continued dancing with the flames while Mina impressed the crowd with her control over the magic sphere, both displays combining grace with a different measure of skill in control and boldness. Now was the time to show the crowd the symbolism of their dance.

Magali briefly reduced her pace to gain more breath, bursting into the fastest pace she's ever picked shortly after to grace her finishing step. She spun faster, flames almost struggling to keep her pace, and slowly distancing from her to meet the Carreau spheres, the magics combined to heat the stage. A circle of fire came to be, surrounding Magali as it shone her side of the stage and slowly rose. The temperature was unthinkable inside it, but lo and behold, as the magics dissipated in the air, there was only Magali. Picking up the last flame to last the display, she artistically kneeled in front of the crowd, fire hovering her right hand in front of her face, and blew the fire away, above the crowd. It spread upwards a lively orange and dissipated in the air above, much like a dragon's breath.

Magali slowly descended her hand to the stage's floor, face turning down and sideways to follow her hand, until she stopped moving, her dance was over.

Sisters

"Yeah, but you were talking all about that second in command stuff for if I needed someone to help me out, and I was just thinking you seem liked you'd be pretty good at it, that's all." Sheikah smiled widely at what she perceived as modesty. "Your siblings? So I'm just like your little sister now or something? Hmm... I guess that wouldn't be too bad, really. You seem like you'd be a pretty good big sis to have."

Finale

After bringing the orb of darkness and electric pulsing through the crowd, Mina returned it to her hand, the silver glow fading slowly to be replaced once more by the shadows as she returned to orbiting the sphere around herself. As Magali began her fiery tempest, Mina summoned the sword of darkness in her left hand and maneuvered the sphere with her left, balancing it on the blade's edge and then tip, then spinning with the two in tandem, her hands, the sword, and the orb moving in a blur of shadows. The darker display ended up contrasting brilliantly with the other dancer's fiery show, the crowd wowing at the magnificent sight. Taking Magali's firebreathing to be a cue for her own end, Mina encircled the sphere one final time before levitating it overhead and thrusting the blade through, pulsing with electricity after and pausing for Celestia's finish.

Empty

"Cara's in the back right now," Borvan told Diana simply. "Grab a key if you're looking for a room to stay in. They're all for you guys. Your boss and some woman with armor are upstairs, too."

And that was her cue, it seemed. As the sphere was pierced by the Shadow blade, Celestia fired a volley of concentrated light blasts towards the epicentre, detonating them on impact for a light show finale.

Taima blushed. "What, I... no. I mean, kinda? I dunno, more like a big sister, but sometimes big sisters need helpful words too... As for the second in command thing..." She shook her head. "I don't know... There's a reason I suggested Peter. He's older and probably knows what he's talking about and stuff. I'm just good at hitting things and getting hit." Staring at the floor, she shrugged. "I... yeah. Anyways. Lets go do something, or something. We could go to the palace I think you said? Never been in a palace."

Mel did her best to hold the spell, and she could feel a headache starting to form as it dragged on, but all of a sudden, the pressure left her head almost immediately, leaving her with a special feeling of being lightheaded. Magali had taken control of her spell and the fire spell, for the moment, enough to combine them and explode them onto the stage. Mel was honestly happy that she didn't have to hold onto that spell anymore; it had been getting very tough. As Magali did that, Mel watched Mina set her own part of the dance up, glad that things were going off without a hitch, and that she was able to enjoy it now that her part was done. Even Celestia shot her part off without worry, Mel almost clapping, but keeping her hands still since she was a part of the performing crew. Zat was amazing! Parfait! Ze crowd will love eet!

Declan shook a tiny bit as Diana came over to him and said something a bit... unusual to him about chances. Declan swallowed hard, but before he could try and formulate a response, Diana had already left. Clutching his shoulder, Declan shuffled a little ways down the street. Not yet... something feels off inside... Not sure what it is, though...

Peering into the nearby theatre, the first thing he saw was a fairly significant amount of dark magic and felt about ready to retch. Apparently his memories weren't planning to be kind to him for the rest of the day... Maybe he should buy something? Although he felt bad about leaving Vale all alone like he did... So, despite his head's urgings, he still found himself heading back towards Vale, smiling weakly. "Sorry about that... my chest feels kinda funny..." The swordsman said in a rare display of meekness, trying to look like he actually had a damn clue about anything.

Live And Lie For You

"You're bigger and older than me, though! So you'd have to be my big sister." Sheikah pat the taller woman on the head. "And hey, have a bit more confidence in yourself, too. You're always keeping me proud of what I've done, so you can't be lacking there, got it? Haha, well... alright, palace! They say Bonvale Palace is really pretty and everyone should see it at some point, you know. Let's go, then."

Sheikah lead Taima through the streets towards the magnificent castle at the city's center. "There it is. I dunno how far they'll let us in, of course." The ivory palace was surrounded by a small moat, lush plantlife lining the stone walkway to its doors. "So, what do you think? Pretty nice, huh?"

A United Finish

Mina bowed gracefully as the dark, light, and electricity converged overhead and their show was completed. The audience was abuzz with applause for the dancers and magicians, most of them slowly filtering out as the performance had finished. As the crowd thinned, Mina made her way to the back room once more and collapsed onto the floor in a bit of a heap, Sierra following close behind her. "Hooray, you were awesome!" she praised, sitting down with the priestess. "You look tired... if you wanna sleep for a little I can carry you to my house. It wouldn't be that hard, you're light and tiny!"

"I will be fine, Sierra," Mina spoke in just above a whisper. "I just overextended a bit... how careless of me to expend such energy on a performance."

Vale could only watch as Diana rushed away a second time; she was rather good at that, he mused. But Declan slinking away like that was unexpected. He tilted his head just a bit at the thought of it. Perhaps he got a bit too passionate with his statement? He heaved a sigh--he wanted so badly to just tell someone here, now, but it would take so much time to get through everything. Maybe he could write it down to make it easier. But his trust in this group was so suddenly the most important thing in his life right now that it overwhelmed him.

He also considered something else. Declan, in a way, reminded him a bit of himself; but more than that, he was so beautiful. He was beautiful in the way that the death and debris left over from a tornado or typhoon was beautiful: a piece of art wrought from the darkest parts of nature. Vale observed even just in this short time with him a man that, albeit slightly and invisibly, was rebuilding himself. He saw the way his body relaxed when Diana arrived, and how befuddled he seemed at being so open with him. When Declan shied away he noted the confusion in his face and the unusual change in his posture--it was a defensive one, but not born from insecurity. And all Vale wanted was to see what the ruins looked like after they were resurrected into a new city, with its new glories and goals, with its new landscape and architecture, and with its new, full-fledged beauty.

His expression softened more than typical when he saw Declan make his way back around the corner. He felt so pleasant, yet so void of words. "Don't worry about it," he responded,"just... make sure you take care of yourself. Did I, uh, make you uncomfortable there?" He suppressed a smirk. Diana, you did good. "I'm kind, of, well, in the process of figuring myself out. Did you want to start taking a walk around this place?" Short pause. "Or did you need more time alone?"

Edited by Quote

Their show done, Magali glanced at the crowd with some content --all had gone well, it was nice to have their applause--. She returned to the back room with the others, and approached Mina when she fell. "Doing so much for the crowd is wonderful, you were a great performer. We can have a rest now that all went well." She reassured the woman. "It can't be easy to be dedicated to the dance and have your other job, I must say. I commend you."

Magali herself was fairly tired from taking control of the spheres at the end, but it was only briefly, to dispell the magic. Her body would ache at the touch from the heat she sustained, but she'd rather not concern the others. It would go away over time, after all.

Artemis sighed, relieved that her portion of the act had come to an end. Putting her hands behind her head, she watched as Magali had started to dance. It was somehow even more impressive than what they had previously practiced mere moments ago. Things seemed to be going just as well, if not better, for the other group. Cool, looks like I can just take things easy for now, Artemis thought as the rest of the performance played out as rehearsed. In a sense, the predictable nature of it was almost boring; still, it was preferable to any unforeseen interruptions or complications.

After the performance and the subsequent applause for it had ended, Artemis followed the others into the back room. Both of the dancers both seemed to be far more exhausted than she was, which was understandable; after all, they were the ones who did most of the work. Turning around to Magali, she asked, "You all right? I mean, even with your resistances, that fire had have to hurt some. You know, because well...fire. It burns and stuff," Artemis finished lamely before turning to Mina, who looked to be in a similar predicament. "Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to ask Melanie to heal you guys up? I mean, it can't hurt, right?"

Edited by Refa

Ivan staying silentful when women were shouting at each other. Ivan really didn't wanting get involved.

Ivan didn't be liking the drinking he got here. Ivan sighing. Same as old, same as old.

Watching as seeing most of those leaving, Ivan figure at least be doing something that finding interesting. Maybe Ivan be get a little thing more than the lance he has, or that boxing arena lady was tell about earlier. Well, Ivan be at least be wandering around for while. After finishing drink that he could stand, Ivan walking outside the inn and standing outside before deciding where to be setting off.

"I guess, but you're in charge, so it's like you're older than me in that way." She chose to ignore the rest of the comments and instead grinned. "Yeah, lets go see the palace!"

When they got there, she stared in awe at it. "Wow, it's really something, huh? Doesn't matter how far in they let us, just being able to see it is amazing. Lets go!" She headed towards the front doors, hoping to see even more beautiful things.

As the audience applauded, any remaining feelings of stage fright left Mel immediately, smiling wide and waving at them as they started to disperse. She would've held onto that happy feeling for a while, had Mina not collapsed back in the room. Sierra was already on checking if she was alright, sitting right up close to the woman. Artemis had a pretty great idea, Melanie reaching for her staff, and bring it over to Magali and Mina, both. "Ehm, eef you are not feeling zat good, I do not mind. I am a bit tired after 'olding ze spell so long, ben, I 'ave enough juice to 'eal you bose! I would be glad to do so~" She smiled, not wanting to see people she thought of as strong, so down and out of it.

"Ah, well... alright, if it is fine with you." Magali turned to Artemis and Melanie as the healing was suggested. "I could use it, true enough. The fire actually only stung a little, but the finish was a bit tougher to hold with all the heat." Hmm. You're doing really well with staves, Melanie.

Lugos was in a really good mood as the performance came to an end despite feeling a bit taxed. He'd gotten to see such wonderful control of magic and that itself made the whole trip worth it. Maybe he'd stick around if there were more magic shows. As they walked to the back room he pondered on the potential use of doing something similar in battle. The only thing he could come up with was using Carraeu as a barrier of sorts but that'd be incredibly draining. It was food for thought. Seeing Mina collapse got him a bit concerned but with Sierra and Melanie offering her help there wasn't much he could do so he remained silent.

Wolfgang watched as the show went on and Mina took charge of the whole thing. She seemed to have better control of her magic than she did initially in their practice session. Wolfgang himself felt a little tired- his orb, charged with electricity, had been pierced by another magic, the Shadowblade spell. It became taxing to maintain it long enough for the entire audience to observe the spectacle. My spell is simpler than Melanie's but this is more exhausting than I thought. I suppose mixing magic is much harder than controlling a hard spell.

As the group went back to the practice room after the spectacle had ended, Wolfgang wondered about the use of mixed magic battle. It certainly emphasized on control of magic, which would only make the user better at their trade. Noticing Mina collapsing, Wolfgang made a mental note to himself never to try casting two spells at once. Not that he had ever done it before or considered it, but it required a certain level of mastery and he wasn't at the level yet.

As Melanie was about to heal Mina , Wolfgang asked the priestess , " It seems you've had experience mixing magic before. In fact, quite a lot to carry out what you did in the magic show. If I may ask. when were those instances? Did you research and try practicing it or were there situations that forced you to try it out? I must say, the subject has piqued my interest."

Edited by Bluedoom

It looked like holding that spell had been more taxing on Mina than she had let on, and she collapsed once they reached the back room. However, Melanie was quick to move over, and seemed to be about to begin healing her and Magali.

Edited by Ether

Regal Land

"Fair enough. Let's go then, shall we?" Sheikah headed towards the front door alongside Taima, the pair being halted at the door by several guards, one stepping up to meet them.

"State your names and purpose of business. This is a time of war- strangers cannot roam the palace freely, and audiences with Her Majesty are limited."

"I am Sheikah Hart, sir. I am a leader of a small mercenary company hired by General Dervas in the past and right now, and Taima here is a member of the, group but we aren't here on business, just sightseeing. Is the courtyard still available?" Sheikah was proud in how confident she managed to sound despite her breakdown earlier.

The guards looked them over, the front guard speaking up again. "No hidden weapons on you or anything, right? Alright... the courtyard is open, but if you see any other guards blocking an area, they're not there to check people through, that means the area isn't open."

"Alright, sounds good to me- thank you. Let's go, Taima!" The boss practically dragged Taima through the marble halls until they reached the courtyard in question. A large fountain made for a beautiful centerpiece, many flowers and trees scattered throughout the area and a wide variety of wildlife inhabiting the area. Sheikah pointed towards one of the nearest trees, a withered rowan. "Isn't it wonderful? I used to watch birds a lot when I was little- look at those three! The one in the middle is a kestrel, then the tiny one is a galapagos hawk, then the big one further away is a king vulture. Pretty weird group, to be honest, but you never know what you find here sometimes."

Delving into Secrets

"Healing... I would appreciate that, thank you." Mina struggled to her feet before Sierra picked her up, twirling the priestess around for a moment before placing her down standing up.

"No overexertion for you today! We have a lot to do tomorrow," Sierra insisted.

"Fine," the priestess conceded, looking to her fellow dancer. "Your own performance was quite the sight as well. I do not regret inviting you all to this." She sighed at Wolfgang's inquiries. "Mixing spells has few, if any, practical application. It requires too much focus to be utilized on a battlefield, and combining two spells can rob them of some potency in power, as well. If there is a way for it to be useful it is not yet known. Manipulating other spells in a more practical sense falls under neutral magic, which I did utilize to move the sphere, but that is not relevant to what kind of magic was used."

Edited by Reinfleche

Mel nodded happily, and began healing Mina, as Magali could still stand on her own-- she'd get to her soon, either way. Though, it was a bit tiring to use her healing after all that magical strain, but she had to. Mina and Magali had extended themselves so far, it wouldn't do to fall over from just a bit of strain and some healing. So despite that, she soldiered through it, finishing with a sigh and hoping that Mina was feeling a bit better. She turned to Magali and smiled, listening in to what Mina explained. "Eh? Neutral magique? Quoi, ca?" she asked, a bit distracted by her healing. It sounded powerful, if it could control other magics.

Taima grinned as they entered into the palace courtyard. "Wow, it's all really amazing. And those birds are so cool. Especially the tiny one." She continued to look around, amazed at the beauty surrounding them. "So you like birds, huh? Guess that explains why you like to fly. Or at least partially."

Declan almost seemed to be in a trance. After all, he had come back for Vale's benefit, but had no idea what else was to be done. Maybe he should say something about his past here...? No, that wouldn't be right. Still... "Hm? Ah, no, just... a twinge of homesickness, I suppose... Even though I'm pretty close to home here, haha..." Declan half-heartedly responded. Vale was... something else. He just wasn't sure what that something was, exactly.

"Hey... let's take a look around town. I'm sure this is all new to you, Vale, so maybe I can show you a few things about Bonvale that you may find appealing." The swordsman added, having to nearly bite his tongue in order to - for whatever reason - add the phrase 'like me' to that sentence. Gods, he was a mess.