ORAS Metagame

ZemZem

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey! Who's excited about the fact that we now have Mega Audino! Anyone?

Put your hands down we all know you're lying...

I know literally nothing about pokemon meta game but

it sounds cool for double/triple which I know no one plays

How good is an Unaware Clefable for setting up Stealth Rock (or in general, really)? I realize that Magic Guard Clef is really good, but I can't get Softboiled since you need to go to a Move Tutor in Fire Red/Leaf Green (I think) for that. Unless MG Clef with Wish/Moonlight is a good alternative. I just feel that Wish is very unreliable without Protect (and having both limits its possible roles) and Moonlight can be pretty useless depending on the weather (unless the 1/4 recovery is still decent)

And is Justified the better ability for Mega Gallade? If so, wouldn't switching him in on something like Knock Off put a big dent on him anyway, since he has bad Defence before he Mega evolves? I tried him out and I really like him, if you can get a Swords Dance even Shadow Sneak hurts like hell, so I want to make him work as best as possible.

Sorry if this isn't the right thread for this.

Edited by intrusion

How good is an Unaware Clefable for setting up Stealth Rock (or in general, really)? I realize that Magic Guard Clef is really good, but I can't get Softboiled since you need to go to a Move Tutor in Fire Red/Leaf Green (I think) for that. Unless MG Clef with Wish/Moonlight is a good alternative. I just feel that Wish is very unreliable without Protect (and having both limits its possible roles) and Moonlight can be pretty useless depending on the weather (unless the 1/4 recovery is still decent)

And is Justified the better ability for Mega Gallade? If so, wouldn't switching him in on something like Knock Off put a big dent on him anyway, since he has bad Defence before he Mega evolves? I tried him out and I really like him, if you can get a Swords Dance even Shadow Sneak hurts like hell, so I want to make him work as best as possible.

Sorry if this isn't the right thread for this.

eh, it's okay, but i don't know too much about unaware clef. scizor would be a problem because it can get in for free, remove it, and threaten to ko you. moonlight is probably good enough; mega charizard y's decent popularity in the metagame will also help moonlight, so don't let that deter you from using it too much.

justified is unquestionably better. yeah, he'll take some hefty damage from knock off, but the attack boost is better than steadfast and inner focus. dark pulse also exists, and gallade has decent special bulk so it'll be able to take that better. iirc his defense stays the same when he mega evolves, or it's at least not that great anyway, just so you know.

eh, it's okay, but i don't know too much about unaware clef. scizor would be a problem because it can get in for free, remove it, and threaten to ko you. moonlight is probably good enough; mega charizard y's decent popularity in the metagame will also help moonlight, so don't let that deter you from using it too much.

justified is unquestionably better. yeah, he'll take some hefty damage from knock off, but the attack boost is better than steadfast and inner focus. dark pulse also exists, and gallade has decent special bulk so it'll be able to take that better. iirc his defense stays the same when he mega evolves, or it's at least not that great anyway, just so you know.

Then would Klefki do a better job at shutting down setups, if Unaware Clef isn't that great? I just don't want too many stall-ish Pokes. Also, Mega Gallade gets a significant defence boost, not a WHOLE lot, but just enough so that you won't be crossing your fingers, praying that it won't get OHKO'd every time your opponent brings out a Poke that is even the slightest bit physical. I'm exaggerating, of course, but you get my point.

December tier changes:

Wobbuffet moved from RU to NU
Lopunny moved from PU to RU
Altaria moved from PU to UU
Leafeon moved from NU to PU
Pidgeot moved from PU to RU
Sableye moved from UU to OU
Dragalge moved from NU to RU
Salamence moved from UU to OU
Sceptile moved from NU to RU
Mawile moved from OU to UU
Houndoom moved from UU to RU
Beedrill moved from PU to UU
Metagross moved from UU to OU
Discuss.

December tier changes:

Discuss.

I thought Salamence and Mawile were ubers?

I'm happy about Sableye because I've been using it more and more. I'll probably just go with the smogon set for mega though

kinda surprised pangoro didnt change tiers. it got some good moves with ORAS, also beedrill will probably drop down to RU sooner or later, its just too frail and iirc there are still competent priority users in UU.

kinda surprised pangoro didnt change tiers. it got some good moves with ORAS, also beedrill will probably drop down to RU sooner or later, its just too frail and iirc there are still competent priority users in UU.

I think it's partly hype. People have wanted Beedrill to be competent in the scene for awhile and this Mega got them excited.

Beedrill would tear RU a new one, only having to worry about things like Fletchinder. I'd imagine with the right support, it'd be pretty good in UU.

As for Pangoro, just give it time. I'm sure it'll raise a tier.

December tier changes:

Discuss.

For some reason, I would have thought that Sceptile and Altaria would be higher in tier than this list shows. I looked on the SmogonDex as well and Mega-Gallade is said to be RU. However, I had seen OU usability list that put M-Altaria quite high and M-Sceptile was on par with BL pokemon. M-Gallade was even higher on the list I saw a lot of people saying that he was a better M-Medicham, yet M-Medicham is OU and M-Gallade is RU.

For some reason, I am loving mega Sableye

My first battle on showdown in months went something like this

I send out Latios, he sends out Drapion

I OHKO it with Draco Meteor, he sends in Landorus-T

I switch to Sableye, he knocks off (it does practically nothing)

He switches to Azumarill, I will-o-wisp

I mega evolve, he plays rough (also does practically nothing), and Sableye calms his mind

I hit recover, but he forfeits

THANKS FOR AN EXCITING MATCH

JUST LOOKING AT MEGA SABLEYE SCARES CHILDREN

How on earth is Dragalge RU? I thought he would be UU at least, since he gets Adaptability. I've been on the receiving end of one and it hurts.

These tiers are based on usage stats, right? I guess its kind of an advantage then, since no one will expect it....

So, I've been 'following' the ORAS OU Viability thread on Smogon just to follow along with all of the new changes and how Pokemon are better/worse, and I have a question that is interesting or (more likely) pretty dumb:

Since Mega Metagross seems to be ridiculous in terms of damage output (and can run Agility/Rock Polish to outspeed pretty much whatever it wants), I was wondering if Umbreon was even remotely viable against it, at the very least to sponge some damage or to threaten and force a switch with Foul Play?

Basically, the scenarios at play would be unboosted and boosted Meteor Mash, Hammer Arm, and Earthquake, and Umbreon's Foul Play in return, provided that Umbreon wouldn't be OHKO'd or cleanly 2HKO'd.