QOTD 3 ★ Q600: What is your favorite Sanrio character? [With bonus question! Important announcement in the question post on page 370!]

Specta

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd be a dirty liar if i said i didn't have lucky underwear

Q591: How do YOU pronounce GIF?

mods please ban anyone who gives people shit for how they say it

I have no clue how I say it ;~;

first I said it like gif and then I heard people say it like jif and thought "oh should I say it like that?" and started saying jif then I still heard others insisting it's gif and I just kinda use both interchangeably now out of confusion

I remember when my brother first explained to me what a gif was. It was like, i dunno...1992 i wanna say? Something like that. Anyway, he was explaining that the encyclopedia cd rom (yeah lmao) had these images and the file was a gif. He said it as the j in jiffy lube. So i thought it was said like JIF peanut butter.

But then...when i was like in the 7th grade, my computer lab/science teacher pronounced it like the word gift without the t. I shrugged and assumed it a tomato/tomahto situation. I still pronounced it as JIF peanut butter.

But lately, i fluctuate between both ways of saying it. It seems both are actually correct.

Jif... (In a french-way, since I speak french)

IPA: ʒif [French]

IPA: dʒif [English]

With a soft G. (Soft G before e, i and y | Hard G before a, o and u)

The English language doesn't seem to follow this rule except for french loanwords. (Like in: judgement or guide)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_and_soft_G

Edited by Naughx