Good god, this game is tedious

I think the single deciding factor in why FE9 never ends up TOO dull for me to play is that I end up using nearly every single char in the game (aside from Gatrie and Brom because Armors...), so the sheer spread of EXP and BEXP manages to balance itself out haha. I've never dumped it all/mostly onto any one character. As for forging I end up just giving everyone their own special javelin or something and never forge it as high as I probably can. The map animations really are slow but the map music is great so I don't get too bothered by it. I think I mostly I enjoy FE9's abundance of nonstandard objectives, and the story, and it's a really relaxing game for me to play in contrast to other titles in the series.

Edited by Irysa

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Map animations need to be faster, yes. Cuz holy crap. One thing that always boiled my beans about this game, is outside the initial window when attacking a unit, there are no numbers to indicate whats going on. (RD fixed this) Boy, thats just...wat.

The three things about this game that can be ass:

Shinon's rerecruitment. (already discussed)

Stefan's recruitment. (already discussed)
Black Knight battle feeling pretty luck based. Seriously, that is just... *frowns for five years* Even with a Vantage/Wrath combo, he might proc Luna and chew on Ike's dome so hard, he dies. Yeagh. I might try sticking Nihil on him, but Ike's damage output can be shitty. Fucking BK fight.

Black Knight battle feeling pretty luck based. Seriously, that is just... *frowns for five years* Even with a Vantage/Wrath combo, he might proc Luna and chew on Ike's dome so hard, he dies. Yeagh. I might try sticking Nihil on him, but Ike's damage output can be shitty. Fucking BK fight.

Ya. With aether, and decent stats, I'm pretty sure the game favors Ike. But not by that much. And things can go south pretty easily. I think I played PoR through 5 times (cuz I got Shiraham before I stopped playing), and lost against the BK twice. One of the two times I reset because Ike actually died, due to the BK proccing Luna twice in a row or something. My first time through, Ike wasn't doing too swell, so I had him run.

Map animations need to be faster, yes. Cuz holy crap. One thing that always boiled my beans about this game, is outside the initial window when attacking a unit, there are no numbers to indicate whats going on. (RD fixed this) Boy, thats just...wat.

The nice thing though is that you can fast forward their movements.

Also while I occasionally turn on battle animations in RD for fun, they're painful as hell in PoR.

Yeah the Black Knight fight just comes down to whether you activate Aether at the right time or not.

The RD fight is underwhelming as hell though. You can probably beat him with the Ettard.

Edited by Radiant head

Yeah the Black Knight fight just comes down to whether you activate Aether at the right time or not.

The RD fight is underwhelming as hell though. You can probably beat him with the Ettard.

Pah. Not even. A good old fashioned Hammer spells the BK's doom in that game.

Yeah that's what I did with Haar in that Part 3 chapter.

It's funny, because the intended narrative of Black Knight is that he's this tough fighter who wanted to surpass Greil and possibly did, but the RD fight implies that he's really a joke without his blessed armor. So I dunno why he was going on about trying to surpass Greil.

Edited by Radiant head

I beat the game. Ashnard needs to practice parallel parking.

BFZ0InT.png

First 23 chapters: what's the point of using Ike?

Last few chapters: what's the point of not using Ike?

The Black Knight fight is so luck based due to the timer and Luna. So glad I BEXP'd Mist to 10 and used a Master Seal beforehand.

Edited by Mekkah

My Ike had Aether. I knew there was a way to do it with ranged attacks every turn but I couldn't be bothered figuring out the strat when I found out attacking the BK straight up gave me an Aether proc. I gave Wrath/Resolve to Nasir.

I beat the game. Ashnard needs to practice parallel parking.

BFZ0InT.png

First 23 chapters: what's the point of using Ike?

Last few chapters: what's the point of not using Ike?

The Black Knight fight is so luck based due to the timer and Luna. So glad I BEXP'd Mist to 10 and used a Master Seal beforehand.

Hey now, that's part of Ike's development! Shoutouts to gameplay-story integration!

I do like how plentiful BEXP is in this game though. It allows anyone's favorite units to be complete powerhouses. Like Soren and Rolf? Just inject them steroids bexp and go wild!

Of course, good players end up snapping the game into about 108380480 pieces by saying "why not just... make the good units better?" And thus, giving 284792792 BEXP + boosters to Marcia was born.

Of course, good players end up snapping the game into about 108380480 pieces by saying "why not just... make the good units better?" And thus, giving 284792792 BEXP + boosters to Marcia was born.

That's what we do with every FE game.

FE9 is extremely easy sure. But that by itself doesn't make it a bad game.

From the perspective of someone who would be new to the franchise it's an excellent game. I would always recommend it first.

Adjust the difficulty/balance and it would be one of the better games in the series, IMO, technical elements aside (animations?).

Edited by DLuna

it took awhile for us to figure this out, i was reviewing an FE11 tier list the other day and we were still talking about mage caeda back in 2009.

We had to get out of anti-Marcus syndrome.

Oh, how far we have come. Will we look back on today in five years and think about how stupid we were?

We had to get out of anti-Marcus syndrome.

Oh, how far we have come. Will we look back on today in five years and think about how stupid we were?

To be fair, most of the community still overvalue growths by a wide margin. Apparently Soren is still generally believed to be so much better than Ilyana because of like -3 AS at 20/10 (Despite them being two of the most similar units in the whole series, availability aside). In a game where that doesn't even come into play too often. =P

Everyone have their own cycle of thoughts. It's the FE way, yo. Jeigan's steal EXP, amirite?

Edited by DLuna

It's just a shame that FE9 feels so rushed and incomplete now that we can look back on it. It got a lot of things right (lord promotion at an actual good time, good new classes), but a good amount of what they tried just wasn't implemented in a decent way. This is probably the only recent FE game where S rank weapons don't even matter, given how few of them there are, and weapon ranks have never been so hard to build.

RD fixed up most of these issues at least, at the cost of butchering the story/characterization aspect of the game. Still, I would love to see a rebalanced version of PoR where paladins weren't godlike and bonus exp is severely toned down; it's no fun seeing all of it get pumped into Marcia and then watching her take off with her rocket-powered horse all the time.

You're right, I forgot that I was forced to give all my bexp to Marcia in the C10 base. Oh wait I wasn't.

Even with limited BEXP, it would just go to the better characters anyway.

You're right, I forgot that I was forced to give all my bexp to Marcia in the C10 base. Oh wait I wasn't.

Even with limited BEXP, it would just go to the better characters anyway.

Titania doesn't need bexp, and I'm pretty sure Jill is just one space below Marcia in the tiers.

What better characters [Aside from Titania]? You get high move, flight, and availibility all in one unit. Bows aren't really a problem if you know positioning.

To my mind RD gives you more bexp. (except on hard mode). On normal mode it's easy to bring all the endgame units to level 20. In PoR it's rather unlikely except on easy mode.

One of the most broken mechanics to make an unit OP. However I liked it, how it worked in FE10.

Edited by The Taninator

Titania doesn't need bexp, and I'm pretty sure Jill is just one space below Marcia in the tiers.

What better characters [Aside from Titania]? You get high move, flight, and availibility all in one unit. Bows aren't really a problem if you know positioning.

Everyone on a horse is amazing. Edited by Ownagepuffs