Good god, this game is tedious

I like the storyline of the Tellius games, but after going through Radiant Dawn and pretty much every other FE out there Path of Radiance seems so poorly made. I'm not completely done with PoR yet (Ch19 is the furthest I've been) but man...

You get too many resources. I feel like it hardly matters what characters I pick because I get to distribute a gazillion levels of BEXP every chapter, so I just pick the ones with the highest move. Atk issues are solved by getting a new max Mt forge every chapter, which is possible because you get 20,000G in addition to various Gems (2 Red, 1 Blue and 1 White, all before Ch16). AS issues are solved by every enemy being super slow.

The enemies suck. They are kind of bulky at times but after earlygame they do so little damage. The promoted ones are sometimes weaker than the unpromoted ones. Why...

Ike is such a drag. He starts in such a deep hole damage-output wise and even when he's grown out of it he doesn't have 1-2 range. Combined with his lord status he's an enemy magnet so I'm actually better off not putting him in range of, well, anything.

Also, too many good mounted units.

I really don't know why this game was ever worth debating about to anyone. You can do pretty much whatever you want with most of the cast.

On the plus side, the support system is so much better than anything that requires idling next to each other, and again I think the story is interesting.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want a challenge, just play FE6 Hard or FE13 Lunatic +. FE9 really isn't a good place to look.

That said... I just blaze through with Rolf and be done. He's the only real reason I play it at all these days.

FE9's nicely presented, but I do agree that the game as a whole isn't particularly difficult. You do get a lot of stuff, a lot of BEXP to pass around, and the enemies are fairly weenie.

I remember starting the game on HM just to get a feel for it. I was fairly shocked to see that base level Oscar doubles the prologue enemies. Heck Ike was doubling them too. I tried to have Titania play the chip role but she one rounded everything including the boss >_>. I haven't picked it up since because I decided to finish up some other FE runs first. From the sound of this thread it doesn't look like it gets any harder.

Edited by Ownagepuffs

Yeah, people are always commenting on how Sacred Stones is easy, but for me PoR manages to be even easier. I bet Maniac Mode could fix at least part of that. If only it had been on the western versions on the game

Edited by Nobody

Oh, I forgot to mention the unskippable map animations. Combined with the Dolphin lag some enemy phases are just unbearable.

edit: Astrid can be 100% recruited on turn 1 by Shoving Ike one square right, and then Smiting him up with Mordecai. You can see how much BEXP you get here:

http://serenesforest.net/path-of-radiance/miscellaneous/bonus-exp/

Edited by Mekkah

How dare you, Path of Radiance is GOAT..!

Maniac Mode is a lot of fun though, because it does limit your resources and enemies can kill you if they gang up on you. While the units are completely OP in hard mode, in Maniac mode they look quite mortal - even Titania can be killed in one turn if you put her on an island in some of the early game chapters.

Oh, I forgot to mention the unskippable map animations. Combined with the Dolphin lag some enemy phases are just unbearable.

edit: Astrid can be 100% recruited on turn 1 by Shoving Ike one square right, and then Smiting him up with Mordecai. You can see how much BEXP you get here:

http://serenesforest.net/path-of-radiance/miscellaneous/bonus-exp/

Yeah i figured that out after like 4 tries haha. But then there are really obsucure ones like talking to Shinon with Rolf then killing him with Ike. Who would even guess that the first or second time through?

you can make this game more difficult by forcing yourself to only use rolf and mist

E:

(come to think of it the only legitimately difficult part would be their joining chapter; after that you just bexp stuff them and win.)

(it would also probably be even more tedious, but then you can go do other things while enemy phases play!)

Edited by CT075

PoR has such a well-written story and characters but is basically unplayable because it manages to be twice as easy than the next-easiest entry in the series

At no point is there challenge even if you go fast and even if you go for all of the meagre secondary objectives

You can spend however much money you want you can make anyone instantly godlike it's basically FE on gameshark

Actually I take it back Shinon's recruitment is pretty stupid and unintuitive but is that really difficulty or is that just stupidity

Edited by General Banzai

Actually I take it back Shinon's recruitment is pretty stupid and unintuitive but is that really difficulty or is that just stupidity

Nah its just absurd. I liken it to Castlevania II's kneel by a cliff with a red crystal to get warped by a tornado kinda thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHjkjhlV5Xg&spfreload=10

Nah its just absurd. I liken it to Castlevania II's kneel by a cliff with a red crystal to get warped by a tornado kinda thing.

Honestly, there is nothing absurd about Shinon's recruitment.

Shinon liked Rolf enough to teach him, so having Rolf talk to him might be a good reminder for him of why sticking with the Greil Mercenaries might have it's upsides over the tempting career advancement opportunities in the Daein army.

Also, the reason that Shinon left the mercs is because he has absolutely no respect for Ike and doesn't want to work under him. So having Ike prove himself as Shinon's equal by beating him could have a chance to change his mind.

It's just that there is nothing that indicates that you have to do both of these things since either one doesn't net any results or provide a hint that something else is missing. And if you actually do perform both steps, the game doesn't confirm that killing Shinon actually recruited him before the very end of the chapter. Which means that you will probably assume you really did kill him and consequently restart the map in order to try something else.

Edited by BrightBow

at no point before shinon rejoins does rolf mention having been taught by shinon

However, it is very suspicious that Rolf vehemently refused to say who taught him, even when his brothers called out his obvious lie about having taught himself, saying that there is no way someone could use a weapon without having someone to teach one the basics.

And considering the fact that there is only one bow user in the mercs, it's possible to figure out who that mystery-teacher was.

I'm not saying it's easy to figure out. Especially given that so much stuff happens and this scene was a long time ago. But you can't compare it to the Castlevania tornado since there is actual logic behind Shinon's recruitment. Even if said logic might have been insufficiently communicated.

But more importantly, the menus actually tell you who can talk with an NPC. Having Rhys speak to Shinon won't do anything but having Mist speak to him hints that Rolf is the key.

Doing a challenge run doesn't solve the slow battle animations and the unlimited gold supply. All you can do is make this game take longer to complete but you can't actually make it challenging. Although I do think getting all treasure and max BEXP on the desert map would be very difficult. I was already rather frustrated with just getting the worthwhile treasure and near-max BEXP (couldn't get it within 7 turns), and I was using promoted Jill + promoted Marcia.