Why all the Tauroneo hate?

I've been playing RD for the first real time, and I preplanned my team. One of my units is going to be Tauroneo, as he, quite frankly, just seems to be the best general. High res means he can take hits from anything, and high magic basically makes him immortal with Imbue. He's also rather strong, which is a plus. Honestly, his main flaw is availability, but people seem to be a lot more harder on him than other units. I mean, he gets the exact same availabilty as Elincia, and the general opinion for her, availabiliy is a nitpick keeping her from being amazing. Quite honestly, even though I never used him in Part 1 because exp hog, he was a lifesaver in Part 3 (mainly due to my units DRASTICALLY dropping in levels from the DB. My disc was badly damaged and needed repairs, which might be the cause, but my ~level 2 swordsmaster edward dropped to a 13 myrmidon, with Aran dropping to a 14 soldier. Only Jill and Nolan managed to scrape mostly by). Quite honestly, I feel he needs more love, as he was amazing. (And I also kinda hated using Gatrie; he felt like he couldn't do anything useful ever.)

Availability. I believe he has 1-6-1 and 1-6-2 then like 3-12 and 3-13 (and he'll get murdered in 3-13 because there's no way in hell he has many levels by then), and then he's rather underwhelming in part 4 when you have demigods just destroying everything. Gatrie also seems to have better raw stats in time for part 4.

Elincia is a flying healer who can Canto away from danger as well as having an infinite-use Brave Sword (with defense boosts). Elincia is ridiculously more versatile and it's easier to get her level ups due to the brave effect and the staff usage.

One of my units is going to be Tauroneo, as he, quite frankly, just seems to be the best general.

Aside from the fact that this is a worthless distinction (and wouldn't even be valuable if true because general), Gatrie and Brom exist.

I mean, he gets the exact same availabilty as Elincia, and the general opinion for her, availabiliy is a nitpick keeping her from being amazing.

Elincia flies, heals, and has an unbreakable brave weapon.

(mainly due to my units DRASTICALLY dropping in levels from the DB. My disc was badly damaged and needed repairs, which might be the cause, but my ~level 2 swordsmaster edward dropped to a 13 myrmidon, with Aran dropping to a 14 soldier. Only Jill and Nolan managed to scrape mostly by).

That is definitely not normal. Either you're remembering wrong, or you need a new disc.

Calling him a lifesaver because of a game-breaking glitch...is not a great assessment.

Quite honestly, I feel he needs more love, as he was amazing. (And I also kinda hated using Gatrie; he felt like he couldn't do anything useful ever.)

Gatrie literally beats or ties Tauroneo in the important stats, losing only in Mag, Skl, Lck, and Res, yet his Lck is nearly identical and his Skill and Resistance are still good enough to get by and he caps his other stats in time to make solid use of BEXP and he has the availability to actually put it all to use.

I mean, Tauroneo isn't awful, but the general opinion of him being "meh" is a pretty accurate one.

I like Tauroneo as a character. I never used him much in battles though, because he just didn't have much availability and by the time he came back, I already had Gatrie as a reliable General.

Tuaroneo's problem is that by the time he can even get any real EXP from fights (which is part 4, pretty much), he's already fallen behind (or about to). Well, that, and the whole "outclassed by Gatrie and Brom" bit do him no favors. And besides the whole Elincia comparison being apples and oranges, there's the part where Elincia has much more going for her than Tauroneo does.

Edited by Levant Caprice

He's very good in 1-6(1) and 1-6(2), useful in 3-12, I guess you can try promoting him to use as an Ike killer in 3-13 but this isn't too likely to work. He's too slow to double anything in Part 4 even if promoted and doesn't really have much else going for him- I guess he can chip a unit in 4-2 or something.

Elincia's limited availability make her not super great either, but she has more Part 4 potential than Big T. He does help quite a bit for those first 3 chapters he's available in though, so definitely not a 'bad' unit.

Tauroneo is great part 1, good enough in part 2, but his slow exp gain, low availability and general (heh) inability to get around the battlefield means he's just kind of... there. Honestly I feel the difference between him and Brom is not that high, but Gatrie is like Ike 2 as far as combat ability is concerned.

You can't compare Tauroneo with Elincia; like others have said, she has a free infinite brave sword with defense boosts, has staff utility, flies, and she's even already 3rd class. Bad availability too but she does different things and she does them pretty well.

Tauroneo has not only bad availibility, but also he will outclassed by Gatrie. FE10 Gatrie is probably the best armor knight / general in the entire series (60% speed growth). However I don't see a point to bring generals / marshalls to the endgame. Their caps aren't too great. Jill and Haar are better options.

Elincia is overleveled in part 2 with crappy stats for a tier 3 unit. Even one tier below Marcia with PoR-boostes has pretty much the same base stats as her. In part 4 Elincia's stats are behind the other units. So I recommend to give her paragon. Her strength and speed growth are great, has an unbreakable brave (silver)sword and is a flying healer. So definitive endgame-material.

Edited by The Taninator

I don't get when people say he's underleveled; he's starts at level 14 and 2 chapters is more than enough time to level him to third tier. No other DB units going to reach that level by chapter 11 hard mode unless you give them EXTREME favoritism with paragon (which I know a lot of Jill fanboys here like to do). With a little bonus exp and some imbue taking in chapters 3-11 and 3-12, I always have him promoted to Marshall before part 4.

Tauroeno's main problem his defense, which is lower than the other 2 generals. He does have an awesome affinity that makes up for that.....that's if you can actually find a viable support for him.

Edited by BillNyeTheBlackGuy

Jill is a contender for best unit in the game, a position that's contested only by Haar.

high move and flight tend to do this.

Tauroneo isn't bad, but his availability kinda kills him. Since by the time he comes back in p3, you could have a t3 Nolan/Jill/Edward/Aran mopping up things in EM/NM, or a t3 Jill/Nolan in HM.

You could do far worse than Tauroneo, such as using the following:

Lethe

Lyre

Kyza

Meg

Fiona

Tormod and Co.

He's also around for longer than : Reynold, Cain, and Giffca. [but laguz royals are meant to help cheese endgame anyways.]

Edited by Captain Britain

I don't get when people say he's underleveled; he's starts at level 14 and 2 chapters is more than enough time to level him to third tier. No other DB units going to reach that level by chapter 11 hard mode unless you give them EXTREME favoritism with paragon (which I know a lot of Jill fanboys here like to do). With a little bonus exp and some imbue taking in chapters 3-11 and 3-12, I always have him promoted to Marshall before part 4.

Who else do you promote? All that experience to Big T could go elsewhere for probably equatable, if not more, value over time.

Tauroeno's main problem his defense, which is lower than the other 2 generals. He does have an awesome affinity that makes up for that.....that's if you can actually find a viable support for him.

The problem is that by the time he can actually get any EXP (which is pretty much part 4), he's underleveled - no way in Hell is he getting enough exp in 3-12 to make actually killing things with him worth it with how high a level he is. And because of where he starts in 3-12... Yeah, no. Ain't happening unless you bust your ass to make it happen, ESPECIALLY in hard mode.

Edited by Levant Caprice

Tauroneo is fine on lower difficulties but on HM he stops doubling in part 3 and that doesn't change in part 4. Combined with his low movement and heavy terrain penalties, this hurts his long term potential. So all he's really good for is his godliness in 1-6.

Tauroneo is fine on lower difficulties but on HM he stops doubling in part 3 and that doesn't change in part 4. Combined with his low movement and heavy terrain penalties, this hurts his long term potential. So all he's really good for is his godliness in 1-6.

On hard mode he still can double most of the tigers in 3-13, which have an AS of 16 (very few have 18 AS). However two tigers with 41 attack power can kill him.

Edited by The Taninator

The problem is that by the time he can actually get any EXP (which is pretty much part 4), he's underleveled - no way in Hell is he getting enough exp in 3-12 to make actually killing things with him worth it with how high a level he is. And because of where he starts in 3-12... Yeah, no. Ain't happening unless you bust your ass to make it happen, ESPECIALLY in hard mode.

He gains enough exp points to level in both of those chapters, ESPECIALLY against the laguz that gives plenty of exp. Unless you're actively not using him, then he has more than enough time to get close to 20/20. He certainly has a better chance of reaching that level compared to every other DB units.

I use him normally without abuse on all of my HM playthroughs (however, I do give him imbue since works well for him), and he manages to gain levels on HM simply because he's required in those last two DB chapters. If you can barely get any levels with him in part 3 while actively using him, then that's a learn to play problem.

Edited by BillNyeTheBlackGuy

He gains enough exp points to level in both of those chapters, ESPECIALLY against the laguz that gives plenty of exp. Unless you're actively not using him, then he has more than enough time to get close to 20/20. He certainly has a better chance of reaching that level compared to every other DB units.

I use him normally without abuse on all of my HM playthroughs (however, I do give him imbue since works well for him), and he manages to gain levels on HM simply because he's required in those last two DB chapters. If you can barely get any levels with him in part 3 while actively using him, then that's a learn to play problem.

Just how much exp is he getting in 3-12? 10-ish a kill because he's overleveled relative to the enemies (which are mostly in between 4 and 8 for promoted enemies, to say nothing of the unpromoted scrubs)? That translates to needing a lot of kills to get ONE level - not looking very good for Big T. And this is ignoring the part where the forefront of the battle is at the right, AKA, where Tauroneo does NOT have the luxury of starting off. And sure, he can get a lot of exp from killing laguz, but so does anyone else, so it ain't like he's special in that regard.

Also, sure I might be able to get him to third tier if I'm actively using him... except all those resources needed to get him there could've been put to better use over the long term by giving them to someone else.

Edited by Levant Caprice

Tauroneo actually does kill quite a number of 3-12 enemies since he can go on the platform, equip a Hand Axe and double most enemies if you give him a Master Crown- doesn't really help him gain exp for Part 4 though.

He's required in two DB chapters, and only exists in two DB chapters. I still don't understand why anyone should be considered bad if they aren't funneling that much EXP into a unit that exists for like half a dozen chapters in the game, where 1/3 of which are in DB mode.