3 gunmen kill 12 at paris office of french magazine charlie hebdo

dondon151

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who names a magazine "charlie hebdo"

That couldn't have been more out of place. "Hebdo" means "weekly", though.

I don't really have anything to add to this, since probably everything I could have said has already been said by someone by now. i.e. I do hope that no-one will feel an obligation to suppress their freedom of expression/speech due to this.

Edited by Topazd255

Looks like the gunmen were identified, according to this. I hope they're caught, and soon - they've already shown that they're willing to put anyone at risk for their own purposes (I'm pretty sure the driver of the hijacked car had nothing to do with Charlie Hebdo).

UGH. That mosque isn't the reason why Charlie Hebdo was shot up. That's like kicking a stray dog because your neighbor's dog took a shit in your yard. ;/

Also, stay away from the comments section. It's horrifying.

Sigh..now that I remember when Charlie Hebdo posted the picture and got a warning from Taliban. The next days show 2 policemen guarding the place. Who could have though they still remember such a trivial event for that long.

Some perhaps imperfectly-selected/analyzed examples, but examples nonetheless. (NSFW, newspaper-cartoon violence and nudity)

(the text of the article doesn't mention that the first [E: NOT the first, sorry, rather the second. the one where the turbaned man and glasses-wearing cartoonist are making out] cartoon came days after the building was previously firebombed back in 2011, and it generally doesn't go into a lot of detailed analysis, either on any differences in French culture/society/history that, if unexplained, may have this stuff end up looking just totally, inexplicably egregious from some U.S. perspectives, or into much else on Islamophobia in detail other than holding up the magazine's cartoons and some responses, or much about the magazine's other focuses, but... like, a welfare joke picturing women in sexual slavery to Boko Haram? some of those others? eesh.)

I hope the voices of Muslims condemning the murders don't get too buried. I've heard that France has some of the more tense sectarian relations (apprehensive of specifying racial, given lack of knowledge, but I've heard that they have relatively large populations of both Muslim and Jewish minorities, and recent histories of both being violently targeted) in Europe, in general. And I hope it doesn't lead to one of the worst sorts of escalation, where Islamophobic groups getting more fodder for hostility in turn leads to Islamist groups getting more fodder.

(sort of a vain hope, given the prior-linked article on shot-up mosques, but. y'know.)

Edited by Rehab

Is that magazine incredibly offensive, racist and islamaphobic?

Yes, they are extremely offensive even for a normal people. I actually look down on their taste. While I am against killing just because of some badly draw pictures, they have it coming. They have been warned before but they kept doing it. They are the offender in this case, it's just that they didnt know who they messed up with. Play with fire and you get burned. Nuff said.

This is how I judge this case:

French shitty artists want to sell more so they drew offensive cartoons and got killed by IS: both are wrong.

French bitches attacked Mosque but said Mosque has nothing to do with IS: French bitches are the bad guys.

Conclusion: despite talking about peace and love, French bitches are violent and brutal just like IS. I laugh at all of them.

While I am against killing just because of some badly draw pictures, they have it coming. They have been warned before but they kept doing it. They are the offender in this case, it's just that they didnt know who they messed up with. Play with fire and you get burned. Nuff said.

really? publishing offensive cartoons means that you "have it coming?"

suppose that i found your statement personally offensive and i showed up at your door to kill you. did you have it coming?

EDIT: the scatological cartoons aside, if i didn't know any better, i would assume that the front page cartoon that got charlie hebdo firebombed in 2011 was just a caricature of a bearded man in a turban. but hold it up to a lens of a culture with a particular cultivated sensitivity and you have a justification for a wide spectrum of violent, bizarre acts.

Edited by dondon151

While i'm really glad the world is reacting to it, I think we forget that this kind of things happen EVERYDAY in the world and that reacting that much is being hypocrits. Yes people died because of what they said, but to go so far as making HUGE rallies like that is a bit too much (I'm french btw) and I'm sure that if you asked someone what is "Freedom of speech". They would probably be silent for a few minutes or would instantly insult you for being an "extremist"

This is how I judge this case:

French shitty artists want to sell more so they drew offensive cartoons and got killed by IS: both are wrong.

French bitches attacked Mosque but said Mosque has nothing to do with IS: French bitches are the bad guys.

Conclusion: despite talking about peace and love, French bitches are violent and brutal just like IS. I laugh at all of them.

May I ask why you add "shitty" and "bitches" ,which makes no relevance in your explanation in the sentence? I have issues to imagine that such non-justified hatred is coming from a 23 year old person's mind.

Edited by Chasticot

really? publishing offensive cartoons means that you "have it coming?"

suppose that i found your statement personally offensive and i showed up at your door to kill you. did you have it coming?

EDIT: the scatological cartoons aside, if i didn't know any better, i would assume that the front page cartoon that got charlie hebdo firebombed in 2011 was just a caricature of a bearded man in a turban. but hold it up to a lens of a culture with a particular cultivated sensitivity and you have a justification for a wide spectrum of violent, bizarre acts.

Thank you.

Please, Magical Amber, and all people saying things like "they have it coming" or whatever, just take a moment to think about what you've just said. You're just basically legitimating these murders, involving harmless human beings. No matter what they drew. No matter what they may have thought. These people were humans. Nothing can possibly justify these awful murders.

And I also feel sick when I see how the killers ended up killed. If only they could have been caught alive... They had to be prosecuted and punished for their crimes. Because that's how a civilized society has to work.

Edited by Jejnial

May I ask why you add "shitty" and "bitches" ,which makes no relevance in your explanation in the sentence? I have issues to imagine that such non-justified hatred is coming from a 23 year old person.

Finally, someone asked why I used those words. I see that you are not happy when someone throws insult for no reason and lump the whole group as a stereotype even when those words are not point at you. Now look at Charlie Hebdo's cartoon and the attack on the Muslim right after the incident. I ask you, what did the Muslim did to have Muhammad drew in such a way? What did the innocent Muslim in France did to be attacked?

Now, look at me. The first thing you did after reading my comment was to quote my comment and asked in a slightly insult way (the above guy threat to kill me). You obviously dont know me in real life. We are just strange people that happen to meet on internet. We are just normal people living in a normal neighborhood. Now, look at IS. They are trained killers, armed with weapons and they have absurd belief. They know where Charlie Hebdo is, they know who they should kill. And we all know just how dangerous IS or the terrorists in general are.

With my post, I got two insult posts. Now tell me, Charlie Hebdo have it coming or not?

Actually you guys are the same with French people right now. Talking about peace, love and killing is wrong but all you did are the same. The result may be not but the ideal is the same. I bet that if it's your relative who were killed in the incident and I told you straight to the face, you will beat me to pulp. It's not wrong, but it also proves that with a strong enough reason and an emotion control failure, we all act like IS. We all.

And I also feel sick when I see how the killers ended up killed. If only they could have been caught alive... They had to be prosecuted and punished for their crimes. Because that's how a civilized society has to work.

Dont make me laugh (actually, I already did). Attacking a random Mosque, giving hateful look at your Muslim neighbors are also how a civilized society has to work? I feel sick looking at the French pretend to be a civilized society while their way of thinking and their action proved to be opposite.

Edited by Magical Amber

Oh my god, I give up.

edit:

Dont make me laugh (actually, I already did). Attacking a random Mosque, giving hateful look at your Muslim neighbors are also how a civilized society has to work? I feel sick looking at the French pretend to be a civilized society while their way of thinking and their action proved to be opposite.

Oh my god², did I EVER said these attacks on Mosque and these hatred towards Muslims were right?

Edited by Jejnial

With my post, I got two insult posts. Now tell me, Charlie Hebdo have it coming or not?

NO.

I respect their right to say/illustrate things that may be offensive to others. I also reserve the right to not give them readership because that's not my type of media. Killing people who worked there (and involving others who had nothing to do with it) was not deserved, in any way, shape, or form.

Something that I read on the webs about it kinda bugged me too: was Charlie Hebdo's reach that big? I guess that with those terrorist attacks, they (the terrorists) actually ended up doing the exact opposite of the intended - the illustrations now have a much bigger reach than before, and the newspaper is more popular than ever.

Oh my god², did I EVER said these attacks on Mosque and these hatred towards Muslims were right?

The victims would most probably be against this too... They were denoucing violence committed by religious fundamentalists but also by the far-right. (Charlie hebdo is left-leaning)

Edited by Naughx

Something that I read on the webs about it kinda bugged me too: was Charlie Hebdo's reach that big? I guess that with those terrorist attacks, they (the terrorists) actually ended up doing the exact opposite of the intended - the illustrations now have a much bigger reach than before, and the newspaper is more popular than ever.

France has a size-able Muslim population, and given that Charlie Hebdo was firebombed in the past, its fairly obvious that the satire was not sitting well with this population. The attack giving the illustration a farther reach than it originally had demonstrates the underlying problem regarding these "Muslims." They lack education, but this is not a justification of their actions. I am glad that people have not used this crime as an excuse to attack Islam, and that those that do blame the religion are a small minority. After all, attacking the religion would only insult the memory of the lives lost in the attack.

Edited by franku

idk, but imo drawing Mohammed/Allah funnily is in no way comparable to killing 12 people

there's no way to justify what happened. Yeah the people on the magazine were dicks, so what? They still have freedom of speech, and even then, try suing them or something rather than SHOOTING AND KILLING 12 PEOPLE

Saying "they asked for it" is victim blaming at its best.

And I don't think the magazine is necessarily racist or islamophobic. They've made similar (or even worse) drawings mocking christanity, like one in which jesus is fucking god while being fucked by the holy ghost (yeah, they did that). They're one of those magazines that try to be as controversial as possible. Still, that's no excuse for anyone going in their building and shooting TWELVE people.

that said, blaming or generalizing the muslin population as terrorists or supporters of this is also a very stupid aptitude and I really hope the muslins in france don't have to go through even more prejudice thanks to this.

Edited by Nobody

MA, I personally don't know where-all you're coming from on this. It's not simply that I disagree with you, it's that I'm having a hard time understanding how you're drawing some of your conclusions.

When somebody says, "suppose that [something threatening along the lines of what dondon said]," I'm not used to it necessarily equating to a direct threat, at least where I'm from. To me it would seem more likely that by "suppose I [___]," he's asking whether you think that would make sense, because the exact words you used before implied to him that would follow from the given logic. I think most people I personally know would not interpret that being said to them as an intended threat, but then I personally know a limited number of people outside my own culture, so I'm wondering whether there's some kind of language or other cultural barrier here.

The posts replying to you did seem a bit pointedly incredulous in tone, but (again, just from my perspective) I gathered they seemed more to be disagreeing with you than intended to insult you.

And I haven't detected any express support for the backlash here, specifically not the physical violence against the Muslims who didn't participate in the killings. I might understand if you think that some of the types of things said in the thread will either encourage or fail to discourage that Islamophobic violence (and/or factors that would ultimately contribute to it), but going purely from the contents of their posts, I'm not feeling the implication that any of them would be happier with either more of their Muslim neighbors or with you being hurt, heat of the moment or not. Indeed, I got the implication from at least Chasticot's post (which I thought to bring up because you mentioned the people of France generally), that they felt a bit uncomfortable with the character/circumstances of the support France is receiving and/or with the way things are at home for them in the wake of the attack. (Not sure to what extent your post intended to take that into account.)

Edited by Rehab