Pokkén Tournament DX - Decidueye didn't see that coming

DodgeDusk

Yeah. He's good, but he's just good. I think he's too rounded. Blaziken feels basically like Lucario but better.

I'm not sure of that, but I've only played a little, I was alot more comfortable with Lucario in all situations, Blaziken feels like all out rush down, while I like Lucario's distant and close up options.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, it really is fantastic that every character feels completely viable.

Well, actually, I haven't seen what Weavile can do yet; haven't played a single one.

What are Weavile's strong points?

Very fast, and can tag in A moves into regular combos seamlessly, has retreating and charging attacks, synergy gauge charges each round

Yeah. He's good, but he's just good. I think he's too rounded. Blaziken feels basically like Lucario but better.

Suicune's punish game is so good and his zoning is second only to Gardevoir. I think he'll do much better when the meta stops being super aggressive because he crumbles under pressure.

That said, someone needs to be in the last rank and I think it's him, which I think testifies as to how balanced this game appears to be.

Depends on what phase in duel mode you jump blizzard away and go for a throw, or do the forward XX up A if they're near a wall, and that gets you straight up to zoning them with directed pumps, blizzard and mirror coat

Finally finished goofing around with all of the characters.

I'm a big fan of both Mewtwos as well as Libre. Shadow Mewtwo is really interesting with the self damaging attacks and Recover. I don't know if it's enough to make him a viable character, but considering Cresselia is the assist Pokemon of choice, he might do okay.

Honestly, the only characters I'm not completely sold on are Sceptile and Suicune who just seem to lack a lot of options compared to big guns like Libre, Mewtwo and Braixen.

Gardevoir also seems really bad but I think that's just due to her highly technical nature. I'm willing to wager that she has the highest learning curve in Pokken other than Shadow Mewtwo. Good Gardevoirs are very overwhelming because they don't give you any space to get in and Energy Ball is possibly the best projectile in the game (it eats every other projectile and then morphs into another projectile).

Day 3 is super early for tiers but this is kinda what I'm looking at right now:

S: Libre, Mewtwo, Weavile

A+: Charizard, Braixen, Pikachu, Gengar

A: Garchomp, Chandelure, Blaziken

A-: Machamp, Lucario, Shadow Mewtwo

B: Gardevoir, Sceptile, Suicune

Speaking of tier lists, I keep hearing at other sites that after people learn how to deal with Gengar, he's gonna end up mid-tier, and the opposite holds true for Gardevoir, when people start learning how to play as her she gonna become high tier, would you agree?

And for those who played the game, what do you consider to be the best support sets?

To me it seems that Lapras/Snivy and Mismagius/Ninetales are the most effective.

Speaking of tier lists, I keep hearing at other sites that after people learn how to deal with Gengar, he's gonna end up mid-tier, and the opposite holds true for Gardevoir, when people start learning how to play as her she gonna become high tier, would you agree?

And for those who played the game, what do you consider to be the best support sets?

To me it seems that Lapras/Snivy and Mismagius/Ninetales are the most effective.

It depends on the type, Lapras and Ninetales works well for zoners, but Machamp wants something like Eevee once he's close, or something to get him through projectiles (I suppose Lapras works well there)

Agreed, it really is fantastic that every character feels completely viable.

Well, actually, I haven't seen what Weavile can do yet; haven't played a single one.

What are Weavile's strong points?

Wow, Weavile is like my most fought opponent!

Weavile's combo strings are really long and more damaging than his status as a speed character would make you think. It seems like he has the fastest burst charge time in the game too. Knock Off also steals synergy if it hits, which makes his burst attack more frequent. He's also a lot like Libre and the Mewtwos in that he gets a lot of options out of his specials, namely Icicle Crash and Agility.

I'm not sure of that, but I've only played a little, I was alot more comfortable with Lucario in all situations, Blaziken feels like all out rush down, while I like Lucario's distant and close up options.

Fair enough. I haven't played a lot with either to be honest. I think I fit more with rushdown than Lucario's balance which might be why I prefer Blaziken.

Also I'm not sure if anyone's picked up on it yet, but high and low stances have some special effects depending on the character. I know Gardevoir's Up Stance (hold up on D-pad) fills up her synergy gauge; Garchomp's down and Pikachu's up do this too. Garchomp's up also has super armor.

In terms of support, Reshiram/Cresselia is easily the best in the early meta. Of the attack damaging supports, Reshiram's is the strongest. Cresselia also completely outclasses every other healing support out there because the boost is like 100 HP and the synergy boost is substantial. The once per round stipulation isn't actually that bad considering you only need to use it once as a trump card to win; if it doesn't get you the win, you probably wouldn't have won with it twice. In particular, there's no reason to use Espeon with Cresselia around. I haven't done any comparisons between Cresselia and Jirachi's synergy buffs to see if Cresselia makes Jirachi redundant.

If you're playing with the support focused cheer, I think you should try out the Electrode and Magikarp supports. Both are really weird in that the timing is strict but they're essentially GTFO cards. Magikarp will break any combo and basically force a neutral and Electrode is a counter attack. Worth noting that Magikarp has be summoned during the combo and Electrode has to be summoned as a counter attack so your positioning is very important. But both can take the game back to neutral. Because you need to time them right, I'd only suggest using them with the support cheer because of their slow charge time; you never know when you'll need them and having the ability to pop it in whenever can win games.

Edited by Squid Lord Doof

Very fast, and can tag in A moves into regular combos seamlessly, has retreating and charging attacks, synergy gauge charges each round

Wow, Weavile is like my most fought opponent!

Weavile's combo strings are really long and more damaging than his status as a speed character would make you think. It seems like he has the fastest burst charge time in the game too. Knock Off also steals synergy if it hits, which makes his burst attack more frequent. He's also a lot like Libre and the Mewtwos in that he gets a lot of options out of his specials, namely Icicle Crash and Agility.

Damn, sounds like a huge pain. Guess I've been lucky so far!

If you're playing with the support focused cheer, I think you should try out the Electrode and Magikarp supports. Both are really weird in that the timing is strict but they're essentially GTFO cards. Magikarp will break any combo and basically force a neutral and Electrode is a counter attack. Worth noting that Magikarp has be summoned during the combo and Electrode has to be summoned as a counter attack so your positioning is very important. But both can take the game back to neutral. Because you need to time them right, I'd only suggest using them with the support cheer because of their slow charge time; you never know when you'll need them and having the ability to pop it in whenever can win games.

Ooh, I play Support Focused! I didn't know Magikarp broke combos, that sounds like exactly what I need. Electrode has been good for me, but I can usually only use it once before they learn to avoid it. Electrode also doesn't cover grabs, which is unfortunately my biggest problem right now.

Edited by Dotty

Fair enough. I haven't played a lot with either to be honest. I think I fit more with rushdown than Lucario's balance which might be why I prefer Blaziken.

That makes alot of sense, and its odd, because usually I'm all for rush down in fighters (which is partly why I do like Blaziken anyways), but the balance that Lucario has just makes me feel comfortable on the defense and in distance/neutral situations. While allowing me to play fairly aggro.

Man, I can't believe I didn't realize where the name Pokken came from until I learned that the German version of the game is flatout named "Pokemon Tekken".

It goes even further. The region is called Ferrum ("iron") and what does Tekken mean? "Iron fist". Crazy.

Which is a Pokemon ability! :P

Anyone know of any forums to get Pokken info on? I've mostly been looking at r/PokkenGame and Smashboards, which has a new Pokken Tournament forum.

I had one awesome Mewtwo ditto a while ago where we just spammed Hyper Beams back and forth and shit got really hilarious.

Anyone want to play for a bit?

Edited by Squid Lord Doof

I tried labbing combos for Braixen's Psyfirecracker Burst Attack, but there's some kind of damage scaling for combos that completely neuters it.

I feel pretty confident in saying it's one of the worst Burst Attacks in the game. Better off using regular moves honestly.

Also Doof, wouldn't mind playing you whenever we're both available.

Yeah, the customisation is brilliant. Only lacking in poses and facial shapes, I think.

Has anyone else been wondering about Nia's Weavile? You never see it, ever, as far as I know. I'm almost inclined to think it died or something and she's always just talking to its ghost. I mean, she's not even wearing one of those synergy things on her ear in any outfit, so she doesn't even appear to be registered battler any more.

But that's just a theory. A GAME THEORY

Edited by Dotty

So has anyone heard about the Shadow Mewtwo infinite?

Any infinites in the arcade version got patched out eventually so hopefully this will. But in the mean time, you don't want to block against Shadow Mewtwo's down Y (the light pillar). He can combo it with Miracle Eye indefinitely and stall you out to 1HP since it doesn't break your shield and you don't have the time to drop the block. He'll be at 1HP too but the game resolves ties by looking at percentage of HP lost. So since Shadow Mewtwo has the lowest amount of HP, he'll always win ties.

Where do you guys get all those customization options? I couldn't find any other than gender, name, and eye color. :/ Are they unlocked over time like in Battle Revolution?

So has anyone heard about the Shadow Mewtwo infinite?

Any infinites in the arcade version got patched out eventually so hopefully this will. But in the mean time, you don't want to block against Shadow Mewtwo's down Y (the light pillar). He can combo it with Miracle Eye indefinitely and stall you out to 1HP since it doesn't break your shield and you don't have the time to drop the block. He'll be at 1HP too but the game resolves ties by looking at percentage of HP lost. So since Shadow Mewtwo has the lowest amount of HP, he'll always win ties.

Yeah I've heard about it, looks pretty crazy.

Where do you guys get all those customization options? I couldn't find any other than gender, name, and eye color. :/ Are they unlocked over time like in Battle Revolution?

My Town, Avatar Customization, you can buy stuff for your trainer, some stuff gets unlocked by doing league stuff.

Also I've been considering recording my run through the league mode for lols, I dno if anyone would like to watch a meh Lucario player run through it haha.

Edited by Jedi

My Town, Avatar Customization, you can buy stuff for your trainer, some stuff gets unlocked by doing league stuff.

Ah, so it is kinda like Battle Revolution. I remember being able to buy gear for your trainer and unlocking them by winning certain battles there as well.

Ah, so it is kinda like Battle Revolution. I remember being able to buy gear for your trainer and unlocking them by winning certain battles there as well.

Yeah its actually very similar, nice to see someone else has played Battle Revolution haha.

Yeah its actually very similar, nice to see someone else has played Battle Revolution haha.

Oh yeah, I enjoyed that game! It wasn't as good as Stadium 2 (I missed the mini-games and stuff...), but still enjoyable. I really think people didn't give it enough credit and hated on it too much.

I haven't touched Pokken Tournament since my first go with it though, I've been more interested in finishing Zelda: TP HD first. :P (and that doesn't just mean beating the story, I'm also trying to get as many collectibles as I can, including every stamp!)

But I will pick up Pokken again, it's pretty fun despite it making me scratch my head a lot.

Oh yeah, I enjoyed that game! It wasn't as good as Stadium 2 (I missed the mini-games and stuff...), but still enjoyable. I really think people didn't give it enough credit and hated on it too much.

I haven't touched Pokken Tournament since my first go with it though, I've been more interested in finishing Zelda: TP HD first. :P (and that doesn't just mean beating the story, I'm also trying to get as many collectibles as I can, including every stamp!)

But I will pick up Pokken again, it's pretty fun despite it making me scratch my head a lot.

I agree, while it wasn't quite on the stadium games levels I still found some good challenge in it, was fun to use my Diamond team too.

The practice dojo is really helpful I find, it teaches you your entire moveset and also some combos if you want.

The practice dojo is really helpful I find, it teaches you your entire moveset and also some combos if you want.

I know, I was doing all that. I think it's the fact that there are so many different possible moves I could be using and that I'm finding combos to be really really hard to pull off.

Finally made it into the C ranks tonight.

Ranking up can be a real trial sometimes, ESPECIALLY when they match you up against a player a full letter rank above yours twice in a row.

Thankfully, that didn't happen this time.

I'm really struggling with some match-ups. Blaziken's pierce attacks are ridiculously difficult to play around, and if even one hits, I lose over half my health from the resulting combo.

Mewtwo is also incredibly rough. He has that one move in field phase that is like Lucario's wide projectile but follows you way further. Not a problem on its own, but he can follow directly behind it with a charging pierce attack, ruining my attempts to counter-absorb it. Thankfully it is possible to absorb the projectile and immediately release to hit Mewtwo before he hits you, but the timing is very, very strict. Again, a character with really long combo strings.

Then there's Shadow Mewtwo. At least with the other two, I can see solutions to the problems (albeit hard to pull of solutions), but with Smewtwo, I can't for the life of me see a way to win if a player uses certain tactics with him. Putting aside blockstring infinites (which I have thankfully not yet come across), Smewtwo has this aerial move in FPhase that sends out some homing orbs and can also add in Pikachu's Thunder to that. He can spam this endlessly (it doesn't self-damage), if I try to approach out of CA Dash Cancel, he throws some of those light pillars into the mix (which either have pierce or last long enough that they can't be absorbed) and I take a big hit and get no closer. If I stay away, nothing changes. Jumps get caught by the orbs, all my projectiles are outprioritised... It's a real problem! I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone knows a way around this nonsensical onslaught. Specifically for Braixen. (I imagine that Garchomp at least could Dig under all that rubbish.)

Sorry to double-post but I really need to air out my irritation with Pokkén's garbage online system.

Almost every time I'm about to win, the opponent disconnects. You would not believe how many times this has happened to me today. I don't get awarded any points for this, meaning all I'm doing is sinking lower and lower down the ranks. Worse still is that there's virtually no punishment for someone disconnecting. All the do is take away a tiny part of the useless money, which isn't deterring anyone. Their points go untouched.

At the very least I need a Sm4sh-esque thing so that if someone DCs, they're replaced by a computer and I still get awarded the win. It'd be nice if they caught a temporary ban too.

Honestly, this really has me fuming.

Sorry to double-post but I really need to air out my irritation with Pokkén's garbage online system.

Almost every time I'm about to win, the opponent disconnects. You would not believe how many times this has happened to me today. I don't get awarded any points for this, meaning all I'm doing is sinking lower and lower down the ranks. Worse still is that there's virtually no punishment for someone disconnecting. All the do is take away a tiny part of the useless money, which isn't deterring anyone. Their points go untouched.

At the very least I need a Sm4sh-esque thing so that if someone DCs, they're replaced by a computer and I still get awarded the win. It'd be nice if they caught a temporary ban too.

This...happened to me as well. And I don't even play online that much.

I told this to a friend, and he said that the reason this happens a lot in Pokken is because there are a lot of children playing it.

Not sure if agree with him, but I do agree about Pokken having a younger demographic.

Oh wow this sounds super frustrating, :/