Pokkén Tournament DX - Decidueye didn't see that coming

DodgeDusk

Really liking Gardevoir with the Ninetales support. The wall is so effective in dual phase against close quarters combat. I'm thinking her worst matchups are Machamp, Charizard and Weavile and Ninetales' wall just wrecks them.

I'd imagine that Ninetales is also super useful for Chandelure, Braixen and Suicune, to an extent, for this reason. Especially Chandelure.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did use Ninetales for a while with Braixen; it worked really well with Braixen's Cubone-esque Wand-rang.

Eventually I swapped for Farfetch'd though, since Braixen is in desperate need of combo help (and Electrode also handles over aggressive players really nicely).

Edited by Dotty

Anyone tried Lucario out yet? How is he.

I haven't played as Lucario, but from fighting against them...

- slow movement speed, but makes up for it with really strong Field Phase projectiles (the one that looks like a Psycho Cut is especially good because it initiates Duel Phase on hit and covers a wide area)

- moves that chain together easily in Duel Phase for rushdown

- counterattack has a long horizontal range, but can be avoided vertically somewhat easily

- a second counter becomes available in Duel Phase, this one has Lucario lunge diagonally up, it's really nice anti-air (I think it's Extreme Speed)

That's all I know, I'm afraid.

EDIT: Just to clarify, while movement speed is indeed slow, Lucario moves in really fast for physical attacks, so it's not much of a problem.

Edited by Dotty

Maybe it's just me, and I know nothing of fighting games, but this game's fighting gameplay is really fun!

It takes a while to get used to, but it's really enjoyable!

By the way, about Lucario, while he is a bit slow, he tends to move more by attacking, and his attacks are rather fast.

Talking about speed, it feels that Pokemon that aren't Speed type feel slow in general.

I know that's the point of Speed type, being faster than the other fighters, but the difference in speed is very noticeable, at least for me.

I haven't played as Lucario, but from fighting against them...

- slow movement speed, but makes up for it with really strong Field Phase projectiles (the one that looks like a Psycho Cut is especially good because it initiates Duel Phase on hit and covers a wide area)

- moves that chain together easily in Duel Phase for rushdown

- counterattack has a long horizontal range, but can be avoided vertically somewhat easily

- a second counter becomes available in Duel Phase, this one has Lucario lunge diagonally up, it's really nice anti-air (I think it's Extreme Speed)

That's all I know, I'm afraid.

EDIT: Just to clarify, while movement speed is indeed slow, Lucario moves in really fast for physical attacks, so it's not much of a problem.

I've heard people compare Lucario to Ryu in that he's the fairly normal fighter, or at least the most normal.

Just what I needed to know thanks both of you.

Been playing quite a lot, some thoughts so far:

- doesn't leave me with severe hand pain like Sm4sh does, big plus

- Ferrum League is a little too grindy for my tastes; playing against CPUs over and over for minimal progression is not too fun

- Training Mode is really nice, love that you can set the CPU to block after being attacked to check if your combos work

- game feels really well-balanced

- avatar customisation is surprisingly good, but for some reason a lot of the options have to be unlocked first before you can buy them with your mountains of unspent cash

I've been tackling Ranked, it's been going sorta decently.

[spoiler=Current Setup and Stats]Stats%201_zpsdulvcv6y.jpg

Stats%202_zpsfymq2t2v.jpg

Right now my biggest hurdles are Blaziken, (actually good) Gengars and most of all, Pikachu Libre. I can't for the life of me beat Pikachu Libre. I get grabbed and thrown all over the place when fighting her. Blaziken is difficult because a lot of its attacks seem to have a pierce property, breaking all my counters. Gengar's Sucker Punches are hard to deal with, and, well, I don't really understand what a lot of its attacks do (this is something I'm going to attempt to figure out tomorrow).

Braixen is fun to play, easy to mess with people's expectations thanks to being good up close and far away. The mid-air dash is also great, and it's something I need to work on using more. The Sunny Day mechanic is awesome, but I'm not brilliant at using it yet.

Most of my losses thus far are due to being backed into the wall by a power character and being unable to escape in between their long combos.

Been playing quite a lot, some thoughts so far:

- doesn't leave me with severe hand pain like Sm4sh does, big plus

- Ferrum League is a little too grindy for my tastes; playing against CPUs over and over for minimal progression is not too fun

- Training Mode is really nice, love that you can set the CPU to block after being attacked to check if your combos work

- game feels really well-balanced

- avatar customisation is surprisingly good, but for some reason a lot of the options have to be unlocked first before you can buy them with your mountains of unspent cash

I've been tackling Ranked, it's been going sorta decently.

[spoiler=Current Setup and Stats]Stats%201_zpsdulvcv6y.jpg

Stats%202_zpsfymq2t2v.jpg

Right now my biggest hurdles are Blaziken, (actually good) Gengars and most of all, Pikachu Libre. I can't for the life of me beat Pikachu Libre. I get grabbed and thrown all over the place when fighting her. Blaziken is difficult because a lot of its attacks seem to have a pierce property, breaking all my counters. Gengar's Sucker Punches are hard to deal with, and, well, I don't really understand what a lot of its attacks do (this is something I'm going to attempt to figure out tomorrow).

Braixen is fun to play, easy to mess with people's expectations thanks to being good up close and far away. The mid-air dash is also great, and it's something I need to work on using more. The Sunny Day mechanic is awesome, but I'm not brilliant at using it yet.

Most of my losses thus far are due to being backed into the wall by a power character and being unable to escape in between their long combos.

Those stats, jesus christ, how do you cope when Shadow Mewtwo or Machamp gets close to you?

Wait, we have announcer dual audio!? How!?

It's on my town if you haven't found it yet, there's announcer settings or voice settings or genrral options.

How are you guys fighting Charizard?

AI Zards are kicking my butt!

So, it's not just me...

And you play Gardevoir, just like me. It seems that Charizard is a really bad matchup for Gardevoir.

Charizard give the most problems when he's on the air thought.

But one Pokemon that's really giving me trouble is Pikachu. That little yellow mouse is driving me insane.

Pilachu seems to be really good to be honest. It hits hard and fast, and it's a small target. I almost always lose against Pikachus online.

I'm playing Gardevoir and Mewtwo.

Mewtwo really feels like a Gardevoir with good close quarters combat. He's got a lot of the same techniques as her and so switching between the two is really nice.

I think Mewtwo is the better character (his combo game is ridiculous) but Gardevoir's projectiles are super lulzy.

I find Charizard super hard to approach. Flying stance is really scary.

Say, did anyone try playing as Gengar?

I tried playing as him, but I'm having a bit of a hard time. And it seems his moveset changes completely when he entere synergy burst.

Is Gengar the only fighter that does this?

So my friend got the game, and i've played around with Lucario, Blaziken, Zard and Gardevor so far.

I think Lucario is my dude in this game so far, Blaze, Zard and Gard are all really fun too, but Cario just flowed with me right out the gate.

How are you guys fighting Charizard?

AI Zards are kicking my butt!

I mostly scare them onto the ground with Braixen's anti-air Flamethrower. After that, they're much easier to handle.

Finally finished goofing around with all of the characters.

I'm a big fan of both Mewtwos as well as Libre. Shadow Mewtwo is really interesting with the self damaging attacks and Recover. I don't know if it's enough to make him a viable character, but considering Cresselia is the assist Pokemon of choice, he might do okay.

Honestly, the only characters I'm not completely sold on are Sceptile and Suicune who just seem to lack a lot of options compared to big guns like Libre, Mewtwo and Braixen.

Gardevoir also seems really bad but I think that's just due to her highly technical nature. I'm willing to wager that she has the highest learning curve in Pokken other than Shadow Mewtwo. Good Gardevoirs are very overwhelming because they don't give you any space to get in and Energy Ball is possibly the best projectile in the game (it eats every other projectile and then morphs into another projectile).

Day 3 is super early for tiers but this is kinda what I'm looking at right now:

S: Libre, Mewtwo, Weavile

A+: Charizard, Braixen, Pikachu, Gengar

A: Garchomp, Chandelure, Blaziken

A-: Machamp, Lucario, Shadow Mewtwo

B: Gardevoir, Sceptile, Suicune

Edited by Squid Lord Doof

Finally finished goofing around with all of the characters.

I'm a big fan of both Mewtwos as well as Libre. Shadow Mewtwo is really interesting with the self damaging attacks and Recover. I don't know if it's enough to make him a viable character, but considering Cresselia is the assist Pokemon of choice, he might do okay.

Honestly, the only characters I'm not completely sold on are Sceptile and Suicune who just seem to lack a lot of options compared to big guns like Libre, Mewtwo and Braixen.

Gardevoir also seems really bad but I think that's just due to her highly technical nature. I'm willing to wager that she has the highest learning curve in Pokken other than Shadow Mewtwo. Good Gardevoirs are very overwhelming because they don't give you any space to get in and Energy Ball is possibly the best projectile in the game (it eats every other projectile and then morphs into another projectile).

Day 3 is super early for tiers but this is kinda what I'm looking at right now:

S: Libre, Mewtwo, Weavile

A+: Charizard, Braixen, Pikachu, Gengar

A: Garchomp, Chandelure, Blaziken

A-: Machamp, Lucario, Shadow Mewtwo

B: Gardevoir, Sceptile, Suicune

Lucario just too all around in your opinion?

Lucario just too all around in your opinion?

Yeah. He's good, but he's just good. I think he's too rounded. Blaziken feels basically like Lucario but better.

I think Suicune is much higher. The ice wall move is incredible and punish reward is huge with Hydro Pump and Blizzard.

Suicune's punish game is so good and his zoning is second only to Gardevoir. I think he'll do much better when the meta stops being super aggressive because he crumbles under pressure.

That said, someone needs to be in the last rank and I think it's him, which I think testifies as to how balanced this game appears to be.

Agreed, it really is fantastic that every character feels completely viable.

Well, actually, I haven't seen what Weavile can do yet; haven't played a single one.

What are Weavile's strong points?