Questions about part 4

Dragoncat

I'm pretty sure Nephenee is in more cases than not, a better choice, entirely due to her speed growth & cap. In Hard mode, Aran is useful in DB chapters, sure, but overall I think Neph has the edge

That, and she's a billion times easier to use because of her tier 2 base and availability.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fwiw, Aran's 1 point away from capping Str and Def, and after that, BEXP will go straight to his abyssmal slightly below-average HP, Speed and Luk, while Neph will ram her HP Luk and Res before touching her Str/Def (though a bit of playing around with BEXP should be able to get around it I think? I forget how FE10BEXP works exactly.

Better RES for Auras would be nice, and she's a hell of a dodgetank when ramming Tier-3Caps and all. In the end, she has +1Spd, while Aran has +1Str&Def in terms of Caps, so take that as you will.

She really is a lot easier to use due to her better start and improved availability. While Aran is pretty swell for you at this point, he's generally more difficult to utilize due to the Dawn Brigade wanting exp distribution funneled into other units, while Neph is good enough on her own to pass with some investment straight into her.

Edited by Sara.

Yeah, the lack of strength is why I feel Aran is better than Nephenee. Nephy may have better speed, but it doesn't help her much when she doesn't have much strength and can't tank it out long enough to get a kill. Aran has very good defense, and better strength, I believe.

EDIT: Yeah, holy crap, Aran has a 75% growth in defense, strength, and skill. o.o

And Nephenee has a measly 35% strength growth.

yeah but Aran can't double and can get doubled in return which hurts his offense/defense quite a bit, and I'm baffled as to when 35% growth became "bad" or "measly"

Edited by Lord Raven

Nephenee will want a BEXP dump to promotion; with Spd, Skl, Res capped, her strength growth is =3rd so she should be able to cap it in tier 2 with a little patience. Aran will need more BEXP, being at a lower level, but if you BEXP him after he caps Str and Def he should cap Spd in tier 2.

After that, it's a matter of whether you prefer a little extra strength and defense, or a little extra speed and resistance. I would recommend Nephenee, since 2-3 speed will usually be more critical than 2-3 strength, and she's less vulnerable to being ganged up on by spirits, but there's no wrong choice; you can make either of them work.

Edited by Baldrick

If you're playing easy mode, there's really no excuse for Nephenee's Str to not be up to par. Same goes for Aran's Spd, really. In easy mode, I'd consider them pretty much equal, but in normal and hard, Neph is superior due to stated reasons.

yeah but Aran can't double and can get doubled in return which hurts his offense/defense quite a bit, and I'm baffled as to when 35% growth became "bad" or "measly"

Well, people call Ike's 35% speed growth bad. And Micaiah's speed growth is the same, I think, and people also say it's bad.

I guess not enough people played in the days before FE7 or 8 or so when 35% was considered pretty good. Hell I'm playing Tear Ring Saga right now, admittedly a much different game, and I'd kill for someone to have 35% growths...

Even now, 35% is considered okay, not amazing but serviceable. The only thing that will ever bring you down is a bad base which Ike does not have. People skew perception of some characters' growths off their base stats too.

35% growth really isn't good for this game, but it can be offset by a good base (such as Ike's Speed). Neph's Str growth does indeed leave something to be desired, but it's less of a problem than Aran's Spd because of forging and BEXP coming to Neph's aid quicker than Aran's.

I guess not enough people played in the days before FE7 or 8 or so when 35% was considered pretty good. Hell I'm playing Tear Ring Saga right now, admittedly a much different game, and I'd kill for someone to have 35% growths...

Even now, 35% is considered okay, not amazing but serviceable. The only thing that will ever bring you down is a bad base which Ike does not have. People skew perception of some characters' growths off their base stats too.

Oh, I see. I hadn't known that this view changed for some people over time.

You're right though, Ike is helped a lot by good bases.

35% growth really isn't good for this game, but it can be offset by a good base (such as Ike's Speed). Neph's Str growth does indeed leave something to be desired, but it's less of a problem than Aran's Spd because of forging and BEXP coming to Neph's aid quicker than Aran's.

Alright, fair enough.

Context matters for how good growths are. 35% was good back in the day because growths were lower on average. Radiant Dawn's average growths are a lot higher than Binding Blade's (I would estimate about 50-55%), so 35% is pretty lackluster here.

Is there anything besides 3-7 Black Knight that Ike can't double?

I don't think he doubles Swordmasters until maybe late in part 4. Ike is actually one of the slower sword users you get in the Tellius games, even in PoR, due to how fast those guys are.

Can you please not mock me? I don't like when people do this. I find it to be very rude.

i'm not mocking you, i'm illustrating a point.

Well then, with forges and added damage, Aran could probably OHKO some stuff.

outside of enemy magic users, which are among the slowest enemies in the game, there's no way aran can OHKO anything even with a max MT forge. a max str sentinel aran with an 18 MT silver lance forge wouldn't even OHKO 1-E armor knights.

Edited by dondon151

This is Easy Mode? Meh, bring anyone at Tier 3. Easy Mode basically plays itself after the Blessing +10 bonus to everything.

It is +5 bonus to every stat. But I agree, if it is EM it really doesn't matter whoever you bring. If it is NM, Nephenee is my advice; the Trueblades it is pretty irrelevant who you choose since both Mia and Edward will end up with pretty much the same stats, except some minor differences in Lck and Res, in which Mia will, most likely, have an advantage. If you want to talk about damage output, it'll be basically the same (capped Str) since Mia's -1 Str cap is compensated with a support that will give her +3 attck, where Edd will only get +2 attck.

Now to be honest, their role isn't that relevant on 4-E so if it is EM or NM, choose whoever you want as long as you give them the correct treatment with BEXP and lv ups; but if it is HM take Nephenee and the less stat screwed Trueblade.

I don't think he doubles Swordmasters until maybe late in part 4. Ike is actually one of the slower sword users you get in the Tellius games, even in PoR, due to how fast those guys are.

Uh pretty sure he does. Maybe he struggles to early on in Part 3 (I don't remember), but there's no way it's that way for long unless you just don't train him.

Although I have yet to attempt HM.

Well, people call Ike's 35% speed growth bad. And Micaiah's speed growth is the same, I think, and people also say it's bad.

35% speed growth for two main characters is bad. It's the second lowest growth rate of the beorcs (30% is the lowest).

On higher difficulties you must be worried that Micaiah will be doubled in the earlygame and Ike (without PoR boosts) will have problems to reach 27 speed in time not to be doubled by BK in 3-7.

Even on hard mode Ike can double all the enemy swordmasters.

In 4-1 the swordmasters have 27-28 speed so a level 1 vanguard Ike with the maximum of 32 speed doubles them all. The falcon knight boss has 29 speed so he needs 33.

In 4-4 the swordmasters have 30-31 speed.

Edited by The Taninator

On higher difficulties you must be worried that Micaiah will be doubled in the earlygame and Ike (without PoR boosts) will have problems to reach 27 speed in time not to be doubled by BK in 3-7.

you should be more concerned that micaiah gets OHKO'd in the earlygame on top of being doubled.

without transfers ike should be able to BEXP spd after capping str and skl, but there is no need to get 27 spd for ike by 3-7 because if you want the extra content, rather than have ike actually fight the BK, you can just use a magic card on him.

you should be more concerned that micaiah gets OHKO'd in the earlygame on top of being doubled.

without transfers ike should be able to BEXP spd after capping str and skl, but there is no need to get 27 spd for ike by 3-7 because if you want the extra content, rather than have ike actually fight the BK, you can just use a magic card on him.

Good to know!

Seriously I didn't know that magic cards prevent counter attacks by enemies with range weapons.

Edited by The Taninator

Good to know!

Seriously I didn't know that magic cards prevent counter attacks by enemies with range weapons.

Ja, its why they are cool for herons. I always use a card on BK anyway cuz its just easier. Its the conversation people want to unlock anyway for story reasons.

Neph > Aran even on Easy.

Mia = Edward = Zihark > Lucia. /shrug. Oh right, Stefan sorta exists...maybe.

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

People are still posting in here?

Magic cards...I havent tried them much. Somebody gave a bunch to Leanne and had her wreck stuff though from what I've heard...

Having Ike attack the BK with a magic card is really the only good use for them. The novelty of a Heron attacking is kind of fun but in the end is just that: a novelty.

Honestly, I always thought that the magic cards as a whole were a novelty and nothing else - I mean, it's like "free money, yay" whenever I get one. Then again, I largely don't care about getting Lehran.