Jurassic Heart Appreciation Society

Parrhesia

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Name one highly successful human who is genuinely nice (as in not in a Machiavellian way).

Hint: Moving the goalposts for success defeats the point.

me

(i'd be willing to bet you mean exclusively billionaire financists)

Something like that, yes.

Edited by Makaze

Use the best pick up line ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt6YJoY5CYY

In all seriousness, I have admitted my feelings to women twice, with the rest of them just finding out about my feelings on their own. The thing is, even with confidence and knowing them for over a year or more, it all comes down to how nice a dumper the girl you're interested in is (which is only ~10% of them in my experience), and you really just have to hope they'll be nice about the rejection and not shun you for life because of the way you feel about them.

Edited by Randoman

In all seriousness, I have admitted my feelings to women twice, with the rest of them just finding out about my feelings on their own. The thing is, even with confidence and knowing them for over a year or more, it all comes down to how nice a dumper the girl you're interested in is (which is only ~10% of them in my experience), and you really just have to hope they'll be nice about the rejection and not shun you for life because of the way you feel about them.

tumblr_nbafewVD6v1ti02dwo1_250.gif

Use the best pick up line ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt6YJoY5CYY

lol

i'd tip my hat if they weren't entirely out of fashion

Fedoras... so awesome. Yet so hipster now. D:

Backwards Cabby cap back in the day... Worked for an artsy dude I guess.

...that is a good point randoman, that some people just suck at not being totally awkward with the thought of rejection/rejecting people. In an ideal world, you know... We could all just be cool, if someone feels differently than us? ...damn reality. :\

Cheeky option: ask them the following

What is the best way for someone to confess their feelings?

Name one highly successful human who is genuinely nice (as in not in a Machiavellian way).

I didn't see what the big deal with The Prince was, personally.

It's been some years, but I don't recall Machiavelli so much flat out saying "use and discard people," though. It came across to me as advising somebody on how to avoid making mistakes in a high-risk, hostile political environment (and if I remember correctly, he was writing to a particular Borgia family member who history knows as having been a jerk even without anybody else's help, so I wonder if he was trying to speak to a certain audience in the first place). One thing that stuck in my memory of the book was his saying that, although being feared was to him better than being loved (because he thought love, especially the average subject's love was more fickle than fear), both were better than being hated, and that trying too hard to be the first risked the third. And a lot of the rest of it that I remember was, like, "don't rely on mercenaries when an army with [more] reason [than money and expedience alone] to be loyal to you is available," or "there are three kinds of subordinates: people who can do their job fine without any instruction, people who can eventually do their job on their own with the help of instruction to get them started, and people who can't do their job even with instruction; the first two kinds should be sought out and hired, and the third kind should be sought out and fired." That kind of stuff.

Edited by Rehab

Gandhi