SMT x FE lives; Nintendo Direct trailer

To be honest, I'm pretty disappointed since the game is more SMT/Persona overall than Fire Emblem based on what I've seen in the trailer; the trailer pretty much told me that a game equal parts SMT and FE -- or something completely new -- is too much to ask for. As far as I can see, Fire Emblem characters are only making cameo/guest appearances (as possible Personas) presumably to promote SMT franchise. If that was Atlus's and Nintendo's intention, then that notion was poorly executed as besides Tiki and possibly Marth and Caeda, many of us are scratching our heads wondering where the heck Fire Emblem is in the crossover.

Before anybody asks, I tried playing SMT4 -- despite hearing that it seemed to be geared for new players, I, a complete newbie, got destroyed in like the 2nd battle in the tutorial, which turned me off from the game and, by extension, the franchise.

Edited by Roflolxp54

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, I'm pretty disappointed since the game is more SMT/Persona overall than Fire Emblem based on what I've seen in the trailer; the trailer pretty much told me that a game equal parts SMT and FE -- or something completely new -- is too much to ask for. As far as I can see, Fire Emblem characters are only making cameo/guest appearances (as possible Personas) presumably to promote SMT franchise. If that was Atlus's and Nintendo's intention, then that notion was poorly executed as besides Tiki and possibly Marth and Caeda, many of us are scratching our heads wondering where the heck Fire Emblem is in the crossover.

Before anybody asks, I tried playing SMT4 -- despite hearing that it seemed to be geared for new players, I, a complete newbie, got destroyed in like the 2nd battle in the tutorial, which turned me off from the game and, by extension, the franchise.

But they are also main characters: Sigurd, Caeda, and Possibly Cain and even Lyn seem to be playable. They made a new SMT IP out of it for the same reason I doubted the game way beforehand: The two wouldn't mix in any way other than Devil Survivor, which would kinda suck because if they wanted that right they would want it dark, and the war and survival themes counter each other, and there's no way they could have mixed them

Hey, at least we're getting something. It's now a new IP for Atlus, and honestly the only reason we have this problem is the first trailer when Nintendo pressured IS when they had no resources whatsoever, we really shouldn't have even known but Nintendo needed a reason to get RPG players into the WiiU

But really, the initial name for the game was misleading at best. FE/SMT are my two favourite franchises and, whilst I haven't been into the two series for that long of a period (maybe ~2 years), I'd be lying if I said I didn't find the direction they took disconcerting, to speak in mild terms.

But they are also main characters: Sigurd, Caeda, and Possibly Cain and even Lyn seem to be playable. They made a new SMT IP out of it for the same reason I doubted the game way beforehand: The two wouldn't mix in any way other than Devil Survivor, which would kinda suck because if they wanted that right they would want it dark, and the war and survival themes counter each other, and there's no way they could have mixed them

War and Survival themes can't work together? What are you even smoking. You seem to want to play devils associate here and piss everyone off rather then actually discuss why people could possibly be disappointed or upset.

if they called the game something unique i'd have been happier just accepting that FE Easter Eggs exist in the game

I did a breakdown of the entire trailer over on imgur last night. It only took two hours.

great job! thanks for posting that.

whoa! the fire emblem academy logo on their blazers is an awesome touch.

i think you're totally right that the FE characters will be the mechanism for changing abilities, like personas. i also agree with the person who said that it's strange that tiki is the only actual FE character in the trailer, but it could be that you travel back and forth between two completely different areas, like in SMTIV.

Edited by geozeldadude

But really, the initial name for the game was misleading at best. FE/SMT are my two favourite franchises and, whilst I haven't been into the two series for that long of a period (maybe ~2 years), I'd be lying if I said I didn't find the direction they took disconcerting, to speak in mild terms.

They probably initially meant to do just that.

Jedi: I'm assuming you say that because war has its own set of survival themes, but not nearly the same as a survival genre. Those happen because of a collapse somewhere in the scheme of things, in which case there would be no way to have war because there would be no way they could have the means to amass an army because the economy would be shit. They could maybe have war with the demons, but then that would basically just be devil survivor except less dark and with FE characters,which would also be a huge disappointment. The two games simply don't mix, whether in themes or in gameplay, hence why it is a new IP for Atlus now.

Also, I would like to point out that both Mass Effect and Metal Gear Rising got these views at first, and now one is one of the most famous game series in the genre(as much as people hate the ending) and the other was one of the most loved games in its franchise.

And another note, the law and chaos systems mostly wouldn't work since aside from Nergal and the thieves, how many characters actually fit the bill for Chaos allignment. You could just slap it on to the anatgonists, but that would be more "good vs evil" than "Law vs Chaos", wouldn't it?

Edited by PureshadowXIII

Nergal? I'd say that Ashnard would be a big chaos sponsor, he had the whole "survival of the strongest" theme going on, and only valuing strength. Anyway, it's not like Chaos and Law are completely constant. In a game like Devil Survivor (and this game is handled by the same team), Chaos was basically just turning against God, and didn't necessarily involve destroying/conquering the world. In a scenario like that, characters like Alm and Ike easily could be classified as chaos aligned.

Edited by NeonZ

Nergal? I'd say that Ashnard would be a big chaos sponsor, he had the whole "survival of the strongest" theme going on, and only valuing strength. Anyway, it's not like Chaos and Law are completely constant. In a game like Devil Survivor (which seems to be the team handling this game), Chaos was basically just turning against God, and didn't necessarily involve destroying/conquering the world. In a scenario like that, characters like Alm and Ike easily could be classified as chaos aligned.

Didn't actually think of that, although it's still iffy since, well, even in Devil Survivor it was associated with the MC embracing his inner demon, and as such fit the bill of showing things that would normally be viewed in a dark light to be in a grey one

Although honestly, I think a big part was also that Atlus kinda likes having control over everything in their collabs. Very few people ever even mention that Atlus was only supposed to be splitting Etrian Odyssey with another group, because they made it so "Atlus" that most people don't realize it was a group project. They likely id the same here, although if you look closely(there's also an imgur post above where someone analyzed this), they actually paid pretty close attention to FE, just not in the way we expected. The FE characters may very well take the place of demons/personae given the Chromsassin and the blue haired woman on a glowing peg next to the dark haired girl. Also possible pair ups given pseudolyn's method of entering the battke

Edited by PureshadowXIII

They probably initially meant to do just that.

Jedi: I'm assuming you say that because war has its own set of survival themes, but not nearly the same as a survival genre. Those happen because of a collapse somewhere in the scheme of things, in which case there would be no way to have war because there would be no way they could have the means to amass an army because the economy would be shit. They could maybe have war with the demons, but then that would basically just be devil survivor except less dark and with FE characters,which would also be a huge disappointment. The two games simply don't mix, whether in themes or in gameplay, hence why it is a new IP for Atlus now.

Also, I would like to point out that both Mass Effect and Metal Gear Rising got these views at first, and now one is one of the most famous game series in the genre(as much as people hate the ending) and the other was one of the most loved games in its franchise.

And another note, the law and chaos systems mostly wouldn't work since aside from Nergal and the thieves, how many characters actually fit the bill for Chaos allignment. You could just slap it on to the anatgonists, but that would be more "good vs evil" than "Law vs Chaos", wouldn't it?

You seem to forget in SMT1 despite the nuked Tokyo both the Mesians and Chaos factions still fought and supplied themselves with the new currency of the demons.

Law and Chaos are easy to assign as they arent good and evil. But ideologies Roy for example is Law. Someone like Hector may find himself Chaos.

This trailer dropkicked the shit out of my hype. I stared in awe. That BGM was NOT helping.

You seem to forget in SMT1 despite the nuked Tokyo both the Mesians and Chaos factions still fought and supplied themselves with the new currency of the demons.

Law and Chaos are easy to assign as they arent good and evil. But ideologies Roy for example is Law. Someone like Hector may find himself Chaos.

Oh dear god if they actually dig into this that would be glorious.

I really don't see such a significant conflict between the series' thematic elements that would have made them incompatible. It goes without saying that the gameplay aspects can be and have been combined prior.

I'll probably be fine with the game's existence in the long run, once the initial shock passes away. Still, no announcements regarding any changes in the concept in 2 years despite such a massive one really comes off as pure dishonesty.

Many people seemingly have a degree of apathy wrt the thematic elements, but do try to understand that those very elements are a major defining factor of SMT. After over 2 years of anticipation, for the original premise to be replaced with something as disgusting as this leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

EDIT To clarify, I have no particular issue with the Persona games themselves, but the mechanics intrinsic to the Persona formula should, IMO, be contained within the respective series. e.g. I like Devil Survivor 2 as far as pure gameplay is concerned, but the fact that they had to jump the shark by including sloppily executed pseudo-social links makes me unable to hold it to the same degree as the first one.

Edited by Topazd

I don't mind since I like persona over SMT but I can definitely see why people aren't to fond right now.

And I do apologize to my harsh words to the Personaification I mentioned. I do like the first three Persona games.

My main beef with this "crossover" is how it was advertised and then they baited and switched to something that hardly resembles either thing that was on the original concept table.

And I do apologize to my harsh words to the Personaification I mentioned. I do like the first three Persona games.

You've played the first three Persona games?

You've played the first three Persona games?

Yes, I played 3 first then went back to 1 and 2 which I realized were more akin to traditional SMT with the new Persona ideas and I quite liked it.

Yes, I played 3 first then went back to 1 and 2 which I realized were more akin to traditional SMT with the new Persona ideas and I quite liked it.

Yeah, that's what I heard as well. 1 and 2 are a lot more like SMT If... than traditional SMT but close enough.

to be honest i always thought the crossover would be more like persona than SMT, but maybe that's just me. yes, the teaser trailer showed the main characters from the main series, but in the US anyway the SMT name it's been slapped onto every spin-off game, and not just reserved for the main games.