SMT x FE lives; Nintendo Direct trailer

It means that I want to get to that album! First I was pulled away by the bus, then my mom called, and there's a bunch of cool things in there!

I did a breakdown of the entire trailer over on imgur last night. It only took two hours.

First off, you are awesome. Thanks~! Now, for my impressions (as a spoilered linked list, because image spam ain't cool):

- Hey! Girl in the green and orange, your underwear is showing. ;/

- Bunny ears? Kinda looks like Sumia's hair tie. But not much else matches her garb, so I think she's a nod to several different characters (that pose reminds me of Cynthia FSR).

- Fanservice. It looks like they're attempting equal-opportunity, but that doesn't make up for the idol costumes.

- I didn't notice this until it was pointed out. That's a really neat touch!

- It's Rider~! It looks like Caeda's hair, but those clothes look like they came from Limstella.

- Might be a tutorial scene. Look at the reactions of everyone around her.

- Ugh. If I pretend the area between her panties and chap-things are colored in, it looks like she's in skinny jeans.

- Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but would that be Dullahan?

- I hope this is cleaned up before it's shipped. Her leg is going through her hair.

- Oooh~! Elthunder and a bow? Can't read the dude's name at the bottom, though. A little help here, please?

- Seems her name's Tsubaki, and she's doing wind damage with a spear?

- More goodies~! First, that's pigtails-and-eyepatch's chest in the background. Second, notice how the "Now" is over the third player slot? I don't think Kiria's on your side. . .or if she is, perhaps she's a NPC? It's far too early to tell, but all these windows are confusing! Blizzard incoming!

- Can't tell whether that symbol next to the weapon name is specific for the weapon itself (some stronger version of it), or that the enemy is weak to it. Sounds like "combo" is called "session", too. ;/

- The last jam session brought down all of Tokyo. Oops.

- "Dolphin laguz, is that so hard to understand?!" I'm kidding, it's something along the lines of "I definitely won't run away!" (thanks SoC)

That turned out a lot longer than expected. Even though there were a few gameplay shots, they had quite a bit of info in there. I'm too lazy to translate the full names (as Main Guy, Tsubaki, Redhead, and Kiria have their names displayed).

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh. I hadn't noticed that face on the armored knight. Anyone can match that with some FE character? It's obviously not the Black Knight, in any case. Considering his design, it should be some minor boss...

If it means anything, the whole advertisements for SMT4 were one giant bait and switch when the game shifted focus a quarter of the way in. I'd imagine Nintendo and Atlus are screwing with our heads.

Not exactly. SMT4's advertisement highlighted many characters and story elements that quickly lose importance in the main game, but the tone was always the same.

Huh. I hadn't noticed that face on the armored knight. Anyone can match that with some FE character? It's obviously not the Black Knight, in any case. Considering his design, it should be some minor boss...

Someone suggested that it could be Kellam. It's. . .gruesome, for sure.

I never claimed false advertisement, or bait and switch. Please stop projecting on me. I merely expressed dissapointment that the initial information (and there was an interview or two on top of the trailer FYI...) seemed to be a far cry from the current product. Whilst that is hardly unsurprising, it is a dissapointment nonetheless. Telling people not hypothesise about the the game is absurd because this entire SUBFORUM was dedicated to hypothesising about the game, with people clearly indicating ideas that they hoped would be realised within it. I'm not some crazy outlier here, which is what you seem to be trying to get at.

"they initially made it out to be X, but clearly now it isn't, that's dissapointing and frustrating"

Is this not an implication of such? You seem to be angry or dissapointed at the fact that you think they made it out to be something originally (which they really hadn't) and now they have supposedly changed it.

Yes, interviews. We still didn't see any development and I didn't really know if they revealed any promises about the game. I'm going to guess that they didn't. And yes, the subforum. The subforum, which is less than two and half pages, was mostly dead for all this time, and the biggest question is whether this game was actually coming out or not. There wasn't even much point of really having it, and there was barely any room to actually hypothesise anything about the game because we knew so little.

Whilst I would broadly agree that some users appear to be engaging in an attack on this game as a way to vent their dissapointment, you're specifically calling me out here, and I'd very much disagree that I've done anything close to that in this thread, or forum for that matter.

It wasn't my intention, it just gets annoying to type out "you (and others)" every time, because I was not just talking to you. But I would say that you have.

It's in the title for heavens sake, and clearly there was SOME kind of choice behind the decision to choose mainline SMT characters as representative in the initial announcement. I respect the developer's right to change their creation, but to act as if there was no implication of any sort whatsoever that leant itself towards a very different theme (one leaning towards mainline SMT and embracing concepts core to it) is extremely disingenuous.

It was a concept trailer simply saying "hey guys we got this idea, SMT x FE, okay bye". I'm not even sure they had decided on anything by that point.

It is unfortunate that I have friends who feel unable to actually appreciate or even comment what has been shown because of the negative bullshit that has been peddled in this topic. I love myself a good bitch, but it's hilarious that it's over this when there have been reasons given to you as to why this might happen. My last post, and all I can do is laugh at you all. If you have a problem then PM me.

Edited by Tryhard

I am probably in the minority here, and I have little to no knowledge of SMT or Persona... But what the heck.

I really like how this game looks!

Being an anime fan, I really like the anime style and music played in the trailer. The only FE character I recognized was Tiki (Yay! :D Also, to me, she looks like a young adult with Shadow Dragon-inspired clothing, so I'm not sure she's a little girl again like everyone says), and I think the main characters are original, but the fact that there's amazing graphics as well as so much more to be revealed has me very interested.

I know the game is a base-breaker... ^_^; But I'm interested, and I'm looking forward to seeing what will come up.

(BTW, no, the fanservice did not entice me. >3>)

The spin-offs are not SMT titles, nor are they labeled as such (what Atlus USA does for marketing reasons is different matter altogether). Considering that the project was called 'SMT x FE' even in Japan, it isn't really incomprehensible that people are going to be sorely disappointed by the fact that after going by that name for 2 years, the result has nothing to do with SMT at all.

The quality of the final product is something that can't be assessed at this time, and derogatory comments regarding it are a bit uncalled for, sure. I still don't see what purpose a discussion forum serves if people are going to take this stance of no tolerance for negative feedback.

Edited by Topazd

Was Aversa's name in Japanese Aversa? I thought it was Inverse

is "Aversa" in the trailer named "Aversa" or "Inverse"?

Main Guy: Can't tell what his surname is (it's a weird radicals combination for the first kanji I've never seen) but his given name is Itsuki

Pegasus Girl: Tsubaki Oribe

Redhead: Judging just by kanji (pronunciation could be different) it seems to come out to Masuma Akatama (yes, he has "red" in his name)

Pop singer: Kiriya Kurono

The quality of the final product is something that can't be assessed at this time, and derogatory comments regarding it are a bit uncalled for, sure. I still don't see what purpose a discussion forum serves if people are going to take this stance of no tolerance for negative feedback.

Negative feedback is fine. Continuing to bitch about something despite already dropping one's opinion isn't. You're allowed to speak your piece, and respond to any inquiries, but constant complaining is toxic.

Am I the only one who is excited for this game?

Because i really want that game sooooooo bad. >.<

*sits in the corner over the despair of being ignored, now with purple ceiling gloom effect! :D* I... I like it too... i_i

I'm excited too! At least so far as they've got me wondering where the game's going to go, now that I've seen it looks nothing like anything I was expecting. Makes me interested in where the series as a whole will go, too.

Edited by Rehab

When I watched the first 'trailer' I was really unimpressed.

So I watched this new trailer, and I was like "what in the fuck is this"

Then I watched it again

And again

And I watched the analysis video and now I gotta say

This game looks pretty awesome. I'm really looking forward to it

I gotta say, the trailer was really not what i was expecting. People have compared it to Persona but it's not even like that (or at least only the rhythm spinoff) and bears a stronger resemblance to Devil Survivor.

I'm not really sold on this but i never thought FE and SMT really went well together enough for a crossover to begin with. Still, it's a missed opportunity.

it's a missed opportunity to you, perhaps, but it's a taken opportunity for others. this turnout is just one of the many possible ones. I'm personally a big fan and probably wouldn't have liked something closer to what other people would have wanted with the grid-based play and totally darker tone or whatever. just different tastes and such and a crossover cannot by any means please everyone or even close to everyone~ :) /captainobvious

Anyway, check out this breakdown of the trailer! It's short (less than 9 minutes) but points out a lot of things you may not have noticed to start, and has a tiny bit of extra theorizing and such (but not nearly as full of unnecessary info/theorizing/observations as the GameXplain one).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESivowiksCw

Now the GameXplain one IS a bit longer (like, almost 3x as long or something) but as a result it's definitely more detailed and more specific about some of the things mentioned (e.g. the exact similarities between designs and such), it's a good watch if you have the time!

=)

The GameXplain analysis video comforts me with thinking that the playable roster will be somewhat large and that there will be more masculine units besides the two main males we have been introduced to.

They may be right on the fact that the conversations with other characters outside cutscenes and battles will take place from 1st-person perspective (as seen with Tsubasa and Tiki). So it makes me wonder if THIS ( http://serenesforest.net/wp-content/gallery/april-2015-smt-x-fe/sfe021.jpg ) is some sort of support conversation (like the ones that exist in most FE games that have made it to the west) which would allow us to see both characters involved instead of just seeing one from a first-person perspective?

it's a missed opportunity to you, perhaps, but it's a taken opportunity for others. this turnout is just one of the many possible ones. I'm personally a big fan and probably wouldn't have liked something closer to what other people would have wanted with the grid-based play and totally darker tone or whatever. just different tastes and such and a crossover cannot by any means please everyone or even close to everyone~ :) /captainobvious

Well to be fair, at this point it isn't really a crossover and more something completely new, people are justifiably annoyed that this is what we got instead of something they (and I somewhat) feel would have been an emotional rollarcoaster with a satisfying mixture of the two franchises.

But hey this may turn out interesting, who knows.

Edited by Jedi

I don't know what your definition of crossover is because it's 100% definitely a crossover game to me. And people (again, more of a vocal minority; the most passionate of fans are the most sensitive of fans and the most vocal of fans, not everyone feels the same way) being annoyed/disappointed/whatever is a result of imposing their own hopes, expectations, dreams, etc. on the game, Nintendo, ATLUS, and Intelligent Systems, when they knew practically nothing about the game (except that it took place in the modern world and was a crossover, pretty much). I'm not going to debate whether that was justified or not, but I personally don't have room for sympathy for people who "dug their own grave".

If the game played like SMT: Devil Survivor 2 but with more FE aspects, I'd personally probably not like it, but I wouldn't say that anyone let me down nor feel contempt for it turning out this way. Like I said, it's literally just one of the possible outcomes. Maybe if practically NO one liked how it's turned out (after receiving more than just a single trailer worth of information), we could say "man not only did they do something different but it seems like they're not doing any good here", but even if the game is different right now, it doesn't seem like it's bad or lacking in appeal, so I don't think it's very mature of people (not you, but in general) to thrash it and put it down as trash; even if we don't find value in something, it doesn't mean we can't accept and respect the value it has to others. Speaking of trash, there's a saying that goes something like "one man's trash is another man's treasure" :P

*shrug* it's too much to expect everyone to have that kind of open-minded/accepting take on it, we're all swayed by emotion after all. It just bothered me a tiny bit that you said it's a "missed opportunity" because it would have been a missed opportunity no matter what. Almost every game is a missed opportunity for another game that could be better or worse. XP so I'll just leave it at that, I think I've said my piece and don't care anymore haha, to each their own~

I don't know what your definition of crossover is because it's 100% definitely a crossover game to me. And people (again, more of a vocal minority; the most passionate of fans are the most sensitive of fans and the most vocal of fans, not everyone feels the same way) being annoyed/disappointed/whatever is a result of imposing their own hopes, expectations, dreams, etc. on the game, Nintendo, ATLUS, and Intelligent Systems, when they knew practically nothing about the game (except that it took place in the modern world and was a crossover, pretty much). I'm not going to debate whether that was justified or not, but I personally don't have room for sympathy for people who "dug their own grave".

If the game played like SMT: Devil Survivor 2 but with more FE aspects, I'd personally probably not like it, but I wouldn't say that anyone let me down nor feel contempt for it turning out this way. Like I said, it's literally just one of the possible outcomes. Maybe if practically NO one liked how it's turned out (after receiving more than just a single trailer worth of information), we could say "man not only did they do something different but it seems like they're not doing any good here", but even if the game is different right now, it doesn't seem like it's bad or lacking in appeal, so I don't think it's very mature of people (not you, but in general) to thrash it and put it down as trash; even if we don't find value in something, it doesn't mean we can't accept and respect the value it has to others. Speaking of trash, there's a saying that goes something like "one man's trash is another man's treasure" :P

*shrug* it's too much to expect everyone to have that kind of open-minded/accepting take on it, we're all swayed by emotion after all. It just bothered me a tiny bit that you said it's a "missed opportunity" because it would have been a missed opportunity no matter what. Almost every game is a missed opportunity for another game that could be better or worse. XP so I'll just leave it at that, I think I've said my piece and don't care anymore haha, to each their own~

I wouldn't want it to play like Devil Survivor at all actually. A mixture of FE and traditional SMT (like I thought we'd get) would have been more along the lines of Majin Tensei or that of a traditional RPG that included features of FE and SMT. (Which this may do, just in a strange Paper Mario way)

As of right now, the feel of the game is not like SMT, Persona, Majin Tensei, Devil Survivor or ANY SMT spinoff, nor does it have the feel of FE other than some characters being referenced. All the "SMT" part of this is the fact that Atlus is in charge. The gameplay looks more akin to that of a 3-D Paper Mario TTYD game if we are to believe that the idols have crowd support.

FE people being like summons may be SMT like, but I still don't really see any SMT in this crossover yet other than "Oh its made by Atlus"

Edited by Jedi

Agree with you Jedi. This isn't even Persona in my opinion, and I was someone like you who wanted to see SMT and alignments of FE characters and all.

Nor is it really Fire Emblem, besides the characters, obviously.

Let's see how much FE it includes before I judge anymore.

I am willing to wait as well, after the incredibly bitter taste the trailer left in my mouth. I'm amazed that I'm even going more positive towards it.

I realize my want may have not been realistic, but still combining two of my favorite franchises with this as the result wasn't in my mind, but time to give it a fresh look.

Like I've said before, it would have been ridiculously niche.

In fact, I'm starting to wonder why they put up that teaser trailer in the first place.

I'm probably not going to play it, just because of how embaressed I would be to play #zipperpanties in my living room with family etc,

But I'm not nearly as bitter as I was when I first saw the direct.

Well it is on the Wii U, remember the pad can be used as a screen. :P